The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #51
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

1. 24champbailey C - Wayne Gretzky(Oilers, Blues, Kings, Rangers)
2. Mtbrncofn G - Patrick Roy(Canadiens, Avalanche)
3. Clockwork Orange D - Bobby Orr(Bruins, Blackhawks)
4. Breck Bronc C - Mario Lemieux(Penguins)
5. JCMElway
6. Jori
7. -Slap-
8. killericon
9. dbroncos31

JCM Elway is on the clock.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #52
dbroncos31
Ring of Famer

RIP D-Will

Damn you breck...
dbroncos31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:12 PM   #53
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Don't cry db31, I'm sure Lindros will still be there for one of your picks.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #54
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn
Don't cry db31, I'm sure Lindros will still be there for one of your picks.
Just so long as I get Kariya. Favourite player of all time. I might take him as far up as the 4th just to be safe.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:32 PM   #55
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

You just go right ahead. That's a wise pick there.

So just out of curiosity, how do you come to have a fave all time that's never played for either of the teams you like? I know I have this weird thing about my fave having to play for my team, but others don't. How'd you come to pick him?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #56
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
You just go right ahead. That's a wise pick there.

So just out of curiosity, how do you come to have a fave all time that's never played for either of the teams you like? I know I have this weird thing about my fave having to play for my team, but others don't. How'd you come to pick him?
Well, see, the first hockey game I ever paid attention to was the 2002 Olympic final; Paul Kariya scored the first goal of the game. Ever since I've loved him.

Oh, and you don't have to be sarcastic. Probably a 4th or 3rd liner in this league; but he might land on my 2nd line. Across from Iginla if I get him. Man, this planning ahead of time is getting out of hand.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:43 PM   #57
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

No, really it wouldn't be all that bad in the 4th round. Sensitive?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:48 PM   #58
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
No, really it wouldn't be all that bad in the 4th round. Sensitive?
Oh. Well, I am constantly mocked for liking him. Remember, I live in Canada, so I can walk up to any person in the street and say Paul Kariya and they will know exactly who I'm talking about.

I also love him because he was knocked unconscious by Scott Stevens...and then went back on the ice. My favourite story about him is this one though:
Quote:
Halfway through the next season, Kariya was selected to play for Canada in the World Junior Championships in Germany, joining another much talked about junior, Eric Lindros. The two became friends during the tournament and Lindros, seeing that the smaller player was exhausted and sick after so many games, suggested Kariya take a break when he returned. Kariya did not heed the advice and became sicker. He collapsed just before an All-Star game and was diagnosed with mononucleosis. He returned after missing 12 games and led the Panthers to respectability. Kariya finished his final junior season with 132 points and was chosen the top junior player in Canada.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:55 PM   #59
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I don't know why you'd be mocked for liking Kariya. Doesn't seem farfetched to me. Now if it was Bertuzzi, then I might have some mocking in me.

I'd certainly hope most people would know who Paul Kariya was, Canada or not. That's probably really pushing it on my part though.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:57 PM   #60
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
I don't know why you'd be mocked for liking Kariya. Doesn't seem farfetched to me. Now if it was Bertuzzi, then I might have some mocking in me.

I'd certainly hope most people would know who Paul Kariya was, Canada or not. That's probably really pushing it on my part though.
I go to a school and hang out with people who consider Kariya not aggressive enough. In Calgary, Iginla is considered the perfect player.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:57 PM   #61
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon
Oh. Well, I am constantly mocked for liking him. Remember, I live in Canada, so I can walk up to any person in the street and say Paul Kariya and they will know exactly who I'm talking about.

I also love him because he was knocked unconscious by Scott Stevens...and then went back on the ice. My favourite story about him is this one though:
Its not like your being mocked for liking Ricci like some Ladies er hockey fans on here like him.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #62
dbroncos31
Ring of Famer

RIP D-Will

I like Kariya, but I still have to decide between Eric Lindros and John LeClair for my first round pick. Roman Cechmanek will be my 2nd pick.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #63
dbroncos31
Ring of Famer

RIP D-Will

who's on the clock anyways?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:36 PM   #64
dbroncos31
Ring of Famer

RIP D-Will

oh jcm...
Old 07-26-2006, 05:15 AM   #65
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

This is an easy one.

Gordie Howe, RW, Detroit Red Wings. Selection time, 7:20 AM CST.

Howe made his NHL debut in 1946 at the age of 18 playing right wing for the Detroit Red Wings. He quickly established himself as a great goal scorer and a gifted playmaker. Using his great physical strength, he was able to dominate the opposition in a career that spanned five decades. In a feat unsurpassed by any athlete, in any sport, Gordie Howe finished in the top five in scoring for twenty straight seasons. It was said that a Gordie Howe hat trick was a goal, an assist, and a fight.

Howe led Detroit to four Stanley Cups and to first place in regular season play for seven consecutive years (1948-9 to 1955-6), a feat never equalled in NHL History. During this time Howe and his linemates, Sid Abel and Ted Lindsay were known collectively as "The Production Line", both for their scoring and as an allusion to Detroit auto factories. The Red Wings were consistently contenders throughout the 1950s and early 1960s but began to slump in the late 60s.

After twenty-five years, a chronic wrist problem forced him to retire, and he took a job in the Red Wings front office. However, a year later he was offered a contract to play with the Houston Aeros of the newly formed World Hockey Association, who had also signed his sons Mark and Marty to contracts. Dissatisfied with not having any meaningful influence in the Red Wings' office, he underwent an operation to improve his wrist and make a return to hockey possible, and he led his new team to consecutive championships. In 1974, at the age of 46, Howe was selected as the WHA's most valuable player.

When the WHA folded in 1979 the Hartford Whalers joined the NHL and the 51-year-old Howe signed on for one final season playing in all 80 games of the schedule. He helped the Whalers make the playoffs with fifteen goals and was selected to the mid-season all-star game. Another milestone in a remarkable career was reached in 1997 when Howe played professional hockey in a sixth decade. He was signed to a one-game contract by the Detroit Vipers of the IHL and, almost 70 years old, made a stirring return to the ice for one shift.

His most productive seasons came during an era when scoring was difficult and checking was tight, yet Howe ranks third in NHL history with 1,850 total points, including 801 goals and 1,049 assists. Careerwise, when his goals and assists from both the NHL and the WHA regular seasons are combined, he ranks first in goals with 975. Howe would also become good friends with Wayne Gretzky, who had idolized Howe as a young player, and who would later break many of Howe's scoring records and milestones.

At the time of his retirement Mr. Hockey's professional totals, including playoffs, for the NHL and WHA combined, were first. He finished with 2421 games played, 1,071 goals, 1,518 assists, and 2,589 points. Wayne Gretzky has since passed him in goals (1,072), assists (2,297), and points (3,369), but not games played (1,788). It is unlikely that anyone will surpass Howe's total professional games played. Mark Messier retired only 11 NHL games behind Howe at 1,756 (and counting minor league action and playoffs, 2,048 total professional games), but this is over five seasons away from 2,478 total professional games (including minor league action).

Awards & Achievements
* Art Ross Memorial Trophy - 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1957, 1963.
* Hart Memorial Trophy - 1952, 1953, 1957, 1958, 1960, 1963.
* Lester B. Patrick Award - 1967.
* Made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1971.
* Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1972.
* Played in the NHL All-Star Game 23 times.
* Gary Davidson Trophy - 1974.
* Played in the WHA All-Star Game 2 times.
* The last active person that played during the 1940s and 1950s.

Records
* Second-most (Wayne Gretzky) NHL regular season goals: 801
* Third-most NHL (Mark Messier (2), Gretzky (1)) regular season points: 1,850
* Second-most (Gretzky) NHL regular season and playoff goals: 869
* Third-most (Messier (2), Gretzky (1)) NHL regular season and playoff points: 2,010
* Most NHL & WHA regular season goals: 975
* Second-most (Gretzky) NHL & WHA regular season points: 2,358
* Second-most (Gretzky) NHL & WHA regular season and playoff goals: 1,071
* Second-most (Gretzky) NHL & WHA regular season and playoff assists: 1,518
* Second-most (Gretzky) NHL & WHA regular season and playoff points: 2,589
* Most NHL regular season games played: 1,767
* Second-most (Messier) NHL regular season and playoff games played: 1,924
* Most NHL & WHA regular season games played: 2,186
* Most NHL & WHA regular season and playoff games played: 2,421
* Most NHL seasons played: 26
* Most NHL & WHA seasons played: 32
* Most NHL regular season goals by a right winger: 801
* Most NHL regular season assists by a right winger: 1,049
* Most NHL regular season points by a right winger: 1,850
* 7th in NHL all-time regular season assists: 1,049
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:59 AM   #66
Jori
US Olympian

I'm going a bit old school here...the Colorado Rockies are proud to select...Terry Sawchuk.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:55 AM   #67
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Bobby Hull

-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:35 AM   #68
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

5. JCMElway RW - Gordie Howe(Red Wings, Whalers)
6. Jori G - Terry Sawchuck(Red Wings, Maple Leafs, Bruins, Kings, Rangers)
7. -Slap- LW - Bobby Hull(Blackhawks, Jets, Whalers)
8. killericon
9. dbroncos31

With the 8th overall selection in the draft, Killericon is proud to select the fastest hockey player of all time; Paul Coffey.

Smooth-skating Paul Coffey embodied everything an offensive defenseman could be -- lightning fast, a skilled playmaker, a booming shot and savvy, yet still able to defend his team's zone employing blinding speed. Born June 1, 1961 in Weston, Ontario, the seventeen-year-old Coffey joined the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Major Junior Hockey League for the 1978-79 season, contributing 89 points to the Soo's offense as a rookie defenseman. During his second season of junior, Paul was sent to the Kitchener Rangers. That season, between the Greyhounds and Rangers, Coffey tallied 29 goals and 102 points, and was named to the Ontario Hockey Association's Second All-Star Team. That summer, the Edmonton Oilers used their first pick, the sixth selection overall, to choose Paul Coffey in the 1980 Entry Draft. It was perfect timing for both sides -- the Oilers were developing into a highly skilled, offensively explosive club and Coffey's skill set meshed perfectly as the quarterback of the dynamic young team.
As an NHL rookie, Paul scored nine goals and 32 points, but it was in 1981-82 as a sophomore that Coffey really hit his stride. In his second season, Paul led all NHL defensemen with 89 points and was chosen for the NHL's Second All-Star Team. In 1982-83, he collected 96 points (29 goals and 67 assists), but it was his 126 points in 1983-84 that put him second only to teammate Wayne Gretzky in the NHL scoring race that year. That same season, the high-flying Edmonton Oilers won the first Stanley Cup in franchise history.
In 1984-85, on his way to helping lead the Oilers to their second straight Stanley Cup, Paul Coffey won the Norris Trophy as the National Hockey League's best defenseman and was selected to the First All-Star Team, a feat he replicated in 1985-86 in a season that can only be considered extraordinary. Coffey finished third in scoring with 138 points, including 48 goals and 90 assists.
Prior to the 1987-88 season, Coffey was traded to Pittsburgh, heading east with Wayne Van Dorp and Dave Hunter while Craig Simpson, Dave Hannan, Moe Mantha and Chris Joseph moved to Alberta. In both 1988-89 and '89-90 while with the Penguins, Paul cracked the 100-point plateau for the fourth and fifth times. The blueliner helped the Pittsburgh Penguins win their first Stanley Cup championship in 1990-91.
On February 19, 1992, Coffey was moved to the Los Angeles Kings in return for Brian Benning, Jeff Chychrun and a first round draft pick. L.A. would be the third of nine teams Paul would list on his NHL resume. In January 1993, Coffey was packaged with Jim Hiller and Sylvain Couturier and sent to Detroit for Jimmy Carson, Marc Potvin and Gary Shuchuk, but an injured knee hampered his play that season. By the following season, he had rebounded and not only led the Red Wings in scoring but was once again awarded the Norris Trophy as the league's top defenseman. Paul scored 14 goals in three consecutive seasons as a Red Wing, starting in 1993-94.
Paul's stay in Detroit lasted until October 1996 when he was traded with Keith Primeau and a first round draft selection to Hartford for Brendan Shanahan and Brian Glynn. Midway through the season, Coffey landed in Philadelphia, sent to the Flyers with a third round draft pick for Kevin Haller and two draft picks. During the summer of 1998, the Flyers traded Paul to the Chicago Blackhawks for a draft choice, but after ten games, he was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes. Coffey's last stop was with the Boston Bruins, where he signed as a free agent in 2000. After eighteen games, Paul ended his terrific National Hockey League career; one in which he reached pinnacles seldom even dreamed of -- 396 goals and 1,135 assists gave the skilled defenseman 1,531 points in 1,409 regular season games. Paul also contributed 196 points, comprised of 59 goals and 137 assists, in 194 playoff contests.
Through twenty-one NHL seasons, Paul Coffey was named to either the First or Second All-Star Team eight times, and as the Norris Trophy winner on three occasions. He also appeared in fourteen NHL All-Star Games and represented Canada at four Canada/World Cup tournaments. Paul retired as the highest scoring defenseman in NHL playoff history and the second most proficient defenseman in NHL regular season history, sitting behind Raymond Bourque in career goals, assists, and points.
In 2004, the spectacularly gifted Paul Coffey was selected to be an Honoured Member of the Hockey Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. "I had a chance to see Grant get elected to the Hall last year (2003) and it's a tremendous honour to join all of my Oilers teammates," said Coffey after being notified of his election to the Hall. "When we beat the Islanders to win our first Stanley Cup and later watched the stars from that team get into the Hall, it's amazing to receive the telephone call that Grant, Wayne, Jari and Slats got."
Scotty Bowman, writing in The Hockey News in November 2004, stated, "Coffey was one of the most unique defensemen to ever play in the league. He was often referred to as a 'rover.' The biggest thing about Coffey was his tremendous speed. If he couldn't skate like he did, he would not have been able to move up and play like he did. He was like a fourth forward on most attacks."

Last edited by Killericon; 07-26-2006 at 08:38 AM..
Old 07-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #69
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

8. killericon D - Paul Coffey(Oilers, Penguins, Kings, Red Wings, Whalers, Flyers, Blackhawks, Hurricanes, Bruins)
9. dbroncos31

10. dbroncos31
11. killericon
12. -Slap-
13. Jori
14. JCMElway
15. Breck Bronc
16. Clockwork Orange
17. Mtbrncofn
18. 24champbailey

dbroncos31 is on the clock with 2 selections...I doubt I'll be around for a few hours after that to make my pick.

Last edited by Killericon; 07-26-2006 at 08:41 AM..
Old 07-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #70
dbroncos31
Ring of Famer

RIP D-Will

With the 9th selection in the All-Time NHL draft, the Philadelphia Flyers select G- Dominik Hasek (Blackhawks, Sabres, Senators, Red Wings). The Flyers finally have a consistant goalie who will last a long time with the team. This selection was a hard one. Hasek, while he may not have the career stats of some goalies, was so utterly dominat during his prime that to not take him feels cheap. Also, I hate Martin Brodeur.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #71
dbroncos31
Ring of Famer

RIP D-Will

And with the 10th selection (1st of the 2nd round), the Flyers select C- Steve Yzerman (Red Wings). Yzerman wil give the Flyers the leadership and toughness they need, and with 1.16 points per game, he ranks up there with the best. Yzerman over Messier comes due to his higher points per game, as I believe that both would be great captains.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #72
dbroncos31
Ring of Famer

RIP D-Will

ok, killericon is on the clock as of 6:30 EST/ 4:30 RMT
Old 07-26-2006, 03:46 PM   #73
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

If there are any Bruins fans out there, I'm sorry.

With the 11th overall selection in the draft, Killericon is proud to select THE Bruin; Raymond Bourque.

Raymond Bourque, a model of proficiency and consistency at an elite level throughout his career, was born in Montreal, Quebec on December 28, 1960. Inspired by the firewagon offense and oppressive defense of his hometown Canadiens through the dynastic seventies, Ray climbed the rungs of minor hockey, joining the Sorel Eperviers of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League in 1976 at the age of sixteen. After a final freshman campaign, the franchise moved from Sorel to Verdun, and Bourque kicked his career into an entirely new gear. In 1977-78, Bourque scored 22 goals and added 57 assists and was subsequently named to the First All-Star Team in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. The next season, 1978-79, Bourque repeated his All-Star status, but increased his offensive output with 93 points. After three sterling junior seasons that merely hinted at the incredible potential held by the under-aged defenseman, Raymond Bourque was chosen by the Boston Bruins with their first selection, eighth overall, in the NHL's 1979 Entry Draft. That fall, Bourque made his NHL debut amidst the accolades of teammates, media and opponents. Quietly, methodically, Raymond dazzled, racking up 65 points; the most for a rookie defenseman in NHL history up to that time. He was the obvious choice for the Calder Trophy as the NHL's Rookie of the Year and also earned selection to the NHL's First All-Star Team; the first non-goaltender to win both honours in the same season.
Bourque consistently provided leadership from his spot on the Boston blueline. Through twenty seasons with the Bruins, twelve as team captain, Bourque dominated, earning 17 selections to NHL All-Star Teams. He was a five-time recipient of the Norris Trophy as the NHL's best defenseman. Only Bobby Orr with eight and Doug Harvey with seven have earned more. Bourque enjoyed a career season in 1983-84. His 31 goal output was a career high, and his 96 points were not only a career best, but led all defensemen that season.
Wearing jersey number 7 through his first eight seasons with Boston, Bourque surrendered that number in December 1987 when the Bruins honoured Phil Esposito. At centre ice in front of Esposito and the Boston faithful, Raymond removed his jersey to reveal a second Bruins' sweater -- this one numbered 77. Esposito's number could be retired and Bourque initiated wearing a number that he quickly established as uniquely his own in Boston.
Yet, in spite of all the personal accolades, the one achievement that had eluded Ray was hockey's ultimate team award -- the Stanley Cup. Although Boston had twice reached the final (1988 and 1990), the prize had eluded Bourque and the boys in Boston both times.
When the opportunity arose to join the Colorado Avalanche at the trading deadline in March 2000, Bourque deliberated, then decided to join the Stanley Cup contenders. Although Colorado wasn't successful in achieving its goal that first season, in 2000-2001, a pursuit Ray labeled 'Mission 16 W', the Colorado Avalanche made Bourque's dream a reality when the team was crowned Stanley Cup champions in 2001. It had taken twenty-two seasons, but Raymond Bourque had finally achieved his lifelong hockey goal. That summer, he retired. Nothing like going out on top!
During an extraordinary NHL career, Ray Bourque collected 410 goals and 1,169 assists for 1,579 points in 1,612 regular season games. He retired as the most proficient scoring defenseman in NHL history. In 214 playoff contests, Bourque added 180 points on 41 goals and 139 assists. Ray played in nineteen consecutive NHL All-Star games, surpassing Wayne Gretzky for the league record, earned the King Clancy Trophy in 1992 for his on and off ice contributions to the game and represented Canada in three Canada Cup tournaments (1981, '84 and '97). In addition, Bourque participated in the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano Japan, representing Canada.
In honour of his great contributions to hockey, both the Boston Bruins and Colorado Avalanche retired Ray's #77 jersey. In 2004, Ray Bourque was selected to join hockey's elite in the Hockey Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. "I was hoping to get the call, but when it came, I was completely speechless," said Bourque after receiving notification of his election to the Hall. "When I started out playing in the NHL, my goal was simply to establish myself as a player and I never contemplated this type of honour."
Scotty Bowman, an Honoured Member of hockey's Hall of Fame, stated, "He was a two-way player and he was so durable. He seldom got injured even though he played more than half the game. He played on some good teams in Boston because he made them good." In the November 2004 Hockey News article, Bowman continued, "I always felt Bourque was very similar to (Denis) Potvin. Both were great passers, had a terrific feel for the game and they were strong. Nobody ever would push them around."

Not a bad top pair of defenders, eh?

Last edited by Killericon; 07-26-2006 at 04:26 PM..
Old 07-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #74
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

8. killericon D - Paul Coffey(Oilers, Penguins, Kings, Red Wings, Whalers, Flyers, Blackhawks, Hurricanes, Bruins)
9. dbroncos31 G- Dominik Hasek (Blackhawks, Sabres, Senators, Red Wings)

10. dbroncos31 C- Steve Yzerman (Red Wings)
11. killericon D - Raymond Bourque(Bruins, Avalanche)
12. -Slap-
13. Jori
14. JCMElway
15. Breck Bronc
16. Clockwork Orange
17. Mtbrncofn
18. 24champbailey

-Slap- is on the clock.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:55 PM   #75
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Crap I dont think the guy I have in mind is going to last very long. Are we allowed to trades? What about coaches?
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote