The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NBA & NCAA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2006, 01:46 AM   #101
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU
I think Carmelo will make the squad. Everything being said is great, and Coach K has said he likes his game. Plus I think there is going to be a focus on the young guys, so they can form a nucleus to stay together for years.

Now, as for this whole "all business" thing, I'm skeptical. Now everybody knows that I don't care what these guys do off-the court, or field, or ice, or whatever. As long as it doesn't affect their play, these guys can do whatever thye want.

But, with that said, I was listening to this local radio show in Denver that comes on right after Jim Rome on 950 AM... It's two guys, one is a Nuggets guy and one is a former Bronco... the names escape me. Anyways, the point that the nuggets guy made was, if this is supposed to be all business, why go to Vegas? Why not the Springs which has an olympic training grounds? Why go to a place where the guys are going to want to get laid, party, etc the whole time? Why go to a place with temptation 24 hours a day?

Like I said, I don't care what these guys do off the court. Wanna go to a club? Fine. Hell I've seen Mike Anderson, during the season, downtown on a thursday night smoking a cigarette, which can't be good for a running back.

But with that said, I'm not going to buy this "we're all business" thing until I see the final cut and see them play. I totally see the guy's point. Vegas is trouble.
I think I was listening to those same two guys on the stream in my cube, and it all didn't make much sense to me. Last time team USA began a training camp it was in Jacksonville, FL (I know, because I was living there at the time). And believe me, those guys still found a way to get out on the town. Hell, I watched the Mike Tyson fight in a bar a booth over from Amare and his 20 man entourage the night before their first scrimage; I think against Puerto Rico.

Point is, if these guys want to go out, they'll go out. Even in a po'dunk town like J-ville. But eveything I've hear is that they're concentrating on basketball.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:46 AM   #102
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Maybe having it in Vegas is a test of sorts to see who's really committed and who isn't. Maybe they want to see how these guys are going to operate amidst distractions. Maybe they want to see who's going to party late into the night and then stumble in to practice and who is going to stay focused, get a good night's sleep and be ready to go when practice starts.

Just an idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the thinking behind it.
You know, I really never thought of it like that.

They don't call you Clockwork "The Voice Of Reason" Orange for nothing.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:46 AM   #103
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin
Oh yeah, and speaking of new hair (sorry about the double post)

WOWOWOWOWOO!!!!

I knew he cut it, but i hadnt seen the new style yet. But WTH!!!!

, that is weird looking.

At least he can see the whole court now, can Nash get better? Sucks for the rest of the NBA
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:48 AM   #104
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
I think I was listening to those same two guys on the stream in my cube, and it all didn't make much sense to me. Last time team USA began a training camp it was in Jacksonville, FL (I know, because I was living there at the time). And believe me, those guys still found a way to get out on the town. Hell, I watched the Mike Tyson fight in a bar a booth over from Amare and his 20 man entourage the night before their first scrimage; I think against Puerto Rico.

Point is, if these guys want to go out, they'll go out. Even in a po'dunk town like J-ville. But eveything I've hear is that they're concentrating on basketball.
Oh I absolutely agree with you. But there's a big difference, IMO, between a city where the clubs close at 2 am and a city where the clubs don't close at all. But you've got a point, these guys could party anywhere.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:50 AM   #105
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21
WOWOWOWOWOO!!!!

I knew he cut it, but i hadnt seen the new style yet. But WTH!!!!

, that is weird looking.

At least he can see the whole court now, can Nash get better? Sucks for the rest of the NBA
Can Nash get better? Maybe!

But, I don't think he gets a 3rd MVP trophy, so this could be an interesting discussion. Who is our 06-07 NBA MVP?
Old 07-23-2006, 01:51 AM   #106
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Quote:
Can Nash get better? Maybe!

But, I don't think he gets a 3rd MVP trophy, so this could be an interesting discussion. Who is our 06-07 NBA MVP?
Nash. The great white hope can only be better now that he doesn't have to tuck his bangs behind his ears after every play.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:52 AM   #107
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
I see it as being the usual suspects, Nash, Kobe, Lebron, Nowitzki and Wade. Someone outside of those guys will have to make a serious push to nudge their way to the top of that group.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:53 AM   #108
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Nash. The great white hope can only be better now that he doesn't have to tuck his bangs behind his ears after every play.
You think Nash could get another?

I never personally bought the argument that "giving him 2 mvp's puts him in a class with such and such players" or anything. For me, it's all about the here and now... But I don't see people giving him a 3rd... But wow, that would be epic.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:56 AM   #109
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Quote:
You think Nash could get another?

I never personally bought the argument that "giving him 2 mvp's puts him in a class with such and such players" or anything. For me, it's all about the here and now... But I don't see people giving him a 3rd... But wow, that would be epic.
No, I don't see it. I think either Kobe or Dirk gets it next year. Kobe probably should have probably got it last year; and I think the Lakers will be better. In the reg season, anyway.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:59 AM   #110
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
No, I don't see it. I think either Kobe or Dirk gets it next year. Kobe probably should have probably got it last year; and I think the Lakers will be better. In the reg season, anyway.
Kobe last year. nooo...

After Dirks decent exposure in the playoffs, he may have a shot next year.

Wade has been already pushed in Jordan esque class, so he is my favorite as of now.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:01 AM   #111
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21
Kobe last year. nooo...

After Dirks decent exposure in the playoffs, he may have a shot next year.

Wade has been already pushed in Jordan esque class, so he is my favorite as of now.
Wade will never get it as long as Shaq is there. I forgot to mention that if Cleveland finishes in the the top three next year Lebron could win it by default(*edit; top 3 in the East I mean) Which he may deserve; I guess we'll have to see how things play out.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:05 AM   #112
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

-insert Dirk not winning it due to the jersey conspiracy here-

I think there's a Fab 4 next year who will be in the running -- Kobe, Dirk, DWade, LBJ... I want to add Elton Brand as the fifth... But he's still a Clipper, and I just don't know if that's going to happen. Tremendous player as we all know, just... I don't know.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:09 AM   #113
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Quote:
-insert Dirk not winning it due to the jersey conspiracy here-

I think there's a Fab 4 next year who will be in the running -- Kobe, Dirk, DWade, LBJ... I want to add Elton Brand as the fifth... But he's still a Clipper, and I just don't know if that's going to happen. Tremendous player as we all know, just... I don't know.
Could you Imagine the Bulls with Brand right now? They would be the favorite to win it all, in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:09 AM   #114
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Carmelo Turning Heads In Vegas.

Las Vegas - Carmelo Anthony has yet to play in an NBA All-Star Game. He was viewed as being on the bubble for one of the 12 spots on Team USA, which plays in the world championships in Japan next month.

But through the first week of practice here, he's being described by USA and Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski as "one of our key guys" and is expected to make the team - in fact, no one was making a bigger impression than the Nuggets' forward.

"Very consistent. Very focused," said Miami guard Dwyane Wade, the 2006 NBA Finals MVP. "He's been the best performer here."

Added USA guard Chauncey Billups: "He's showing that he's definitely one of the best players in the world."

Anthony came to camp in great shape after working on his conditioning daily this summer, most of the time in Denver. But questions lingered about whether he was a team player or if he'd play defense. So far, several coaches and players say Anthony has played unselfishly and as hard as anyone. He's surprised some by showing leadership skills.

Is it safe to say Melo will make the team?

"He's been one of the best players here," Krzyzewski said. "No one has worked any harder than him during these four days. He's been a real pleasure to have. I've watched him during the NBA season. I think he's better. Not because we're making him better. Whatever he's done since the end of the season, he's better.

"I'm not sure that the perception out there is that he is a mature guy. But he really has been a mature professional. In addition to having an upside, he really just graduated from college. He's got to be one of our key guys."

"He's playing defense, rebounding, running the floor," USA assistant and Phoenix Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "He seems like he's on a mission."

Cavaliers forward LeBron James described Anthony as "refreshed. It looks like he's been working real hard."

Anthony admits he came to camp feeling he had something to prove.

"I want to make a statement," he said. "It's a new beginning. Two weeks ago, I said this is like a new beginning for me with the USA team and the Nuggets. I really want to take a different approach and show people what I'm all about."

James, Anthony and Wade were the highlights of the 2003 NBA draft class, but Anthony has been overshadowed by the other two, despite averaging 26.5 points this past season. James and Wade are two-time NBA all-stars, but Anthony has yet to be selected. And while Anthony hasn't gotten his team past the first round in the playoffs, Wade led Miami to the championship this year and James took Cleveland to the second round.

Anthony is confident he can play on the same level as James and Wade, but understands why he's not always viewed as being in their class.
"They took it a step further," he said. "LeBron got out of the first round. Dwyane winning a ring. Once I do (something comparable), it's right back to normal."

Said Wade: "Everyone has the time in their life where they get the attention....My rookie year, it was him and LeBron. Now it's me and LeBron. Hopefully, soon, they will put all three of us (together)."

Though he felt in peak physical shape when he arrived here last week, Anthony came with baggage.

He played little for Team USA at the 2004 Athens Olympics and was criticized for being disappointed with his playing time. Off-court issues since have hampered his public persona.

A talk with USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo and help from his college coach, Syracuse's Jim Boeheim, a USA assistant, led to him being given another shot with Team USA.

"There were some guys that might have questioned everything," Boeheim said. "He's proven what he can do. He's worked hard. Worked hard on defense. Sometimes you get a certain reputation, where something happened maybe two years ago or a year ago and it becomes life, when it really isn't."

USA forward Bruce Bowen had heard some of the negative talk about Anthony but wanted to wait until he spent time with him to make up his mind.

He has gained considerable respect for his Western Conference rival.

"Everyone's made mistakes in this game. But they seem to persecute some guys because of what they see on the outside. They see the tattoos. They see the hair braided. It's like, 'Gang member.' That's not the case.

"This kid is real good and he wants to be a part of this. He could have easily said, 'Nah, I'm not going to play in this. I've played in this before.' But he's come back - and that speaks volumes about him as a person to me."

Old 07-23-2006, 05:15 AM   #115
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Anthony Impressive For Team USA

Carmelo Anthony came in looking for redemption. He’s right on course.
Anthony is a lock to be named one of the 15 players chosen Tuesday to accompany Team USA to Asia. Barring the unforeseen, those close to the situation believe the Nuggets forward will make the 12-man team for the World Championship, Aug. 19-Sept. 3 in Japan.

"Not surprised,’’ Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski told reporters Saturday during training camp in Las Vegas, when asked if he was surprised at how well Anthony has played. "I’m really pleased. He’s played very well every day. Because I didn’t get a chance to see these guys in person, I didn’t know he’s as good a shooter as he is.’’

Krzyzewski was busy coaching Duke last season when Anthony averaged 26.5 points, the most by a Nuggets player in 15
years.

Saturday was the fourth day of camp. Nuggets coach George Karl got reports from assistant Tim Grgurich from the first two days of camp and Karl said Anthony was a "top-five player’’ in camp.

"Carmelo has stood out,’’ Krzyzewski told reporters Friday. "He’s like on a mission.’’

Anthony is determined to make up for a disappointing performance at the 2004 Olympics. He played sparingly and was labeled an attitude problem by coach Larry Brown.

ESPN.com has called Anthony "a lock to make the active roster, and he may even be earning himself a spot in the starting lineup.’’ Team USA director Jerry Colangelo told ESPN.com, "Carmelo came in here as part of a mission, and he has played accordingly. He’s making a statement early on in this camp with how much he wants to make the team.’’

The team continues practice Sunday and Monday. The 15 players who will go to Asia will be announced at a press conference Tuesday morning at Las Vegas’ Wynn hotel, and Anthony can expect to hear his name called.

"He’s up, he’s an easy guy to play with,’’ Krzyzewski told reporters about Anthony on Saturday. "I really like him. I think he’s a hell of a defender, too. He’s a great player. It looks like he wants to be that. It looks like he wants to be better. He’s come here not only wanting to play well, but to get better.’’

After Tuesday’s announcement, players will be given a five-day break before continuing to practice in Las Vegas in preparation for an Aug. 3 exhibition game there against Puerto Rico. Then it’s on to China for two exhibition games and to South Korea for two.

The 15 players must be cut down to the final 12 by Aug. 18.

With several players injured or not candidates for the World Championship, there are 18 players fighting for the initial 15 spots. Figuring to get cut are forward Adam Morrison, either point guard Luke Ridnour or Kirk Hinrich and a big man, possibly Amare Stoudemire, who is not back to himself after undergoing knee surgery.
-----------------------

High praise from some great coaches and players thus far. The guy gets knocked for every little thing he does wrong, so it's nice to see him getting some positive articles written about him for a change.

Keep up the good work, kid.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #116
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Wait, so is Amare there and playing?

I haven't really kept up with the situation, but how is he looking? ludo, you hearing anything out of Phoenix?

But man, that is great to hear about Carmelo. I mean, he's viewed as a thug, which isn't true. He hasn't made the AS Game, and that is flat out on him. Gotta elevate his game. He hasn't gotten the Nuggs out of the first round, but that's so not on him, IMO. I mean, when you get triple teamed and nobody else can make a shot, it's shows how overrated the Nugs were. Our lack of shooting gave us our early exit, not Carmelo.

He'll be right there with DWade and LBJ, I think.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #117
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
He wouldn't say who, but someone brought up Eddie House and he said, "Think bigger than Eddie House." I doubt that it was Van Horn he was talking about.
He said it was a starting #2 off of a playoff team from last year
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #118
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Cuban and Avery Johnson clash over new contract.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:26 PM   #119
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Also on RealGM: The T'Wolves want Reggie Evans.

/insert joke here
Old 07-23-2006, 02:13 PM   #120
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Carmelo Turning Heads In Vegas.

Las Vegas - Carmelo Anthony has yet to play in an NBA All-Star Game. He was viewed as being on the bubble for one of the 12 spots on Team USA, which plays in the world championships in Japan next month.

But through the first week of practice here, he's being described by USA and Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski as "one of our key guys" and is expected to make the team - in fact, no one was making a bigger impression than the Nuggets' forward.
I have no idea who would be surprised by this ... he's raised his game by quantum leaps since 04.

Don't they read box scores?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #121
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

They will make good teammates because Griffin shoots a load and Evans is really good at grabbing loose balls. When Eddie misses, Reggie is right there to clean up the mess.
GonzoLays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #122
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoLays
They will make good teammates because Griffin shoots a load and Evans is really good at grabbing loose balls. When Eddie misses, Reggie is right there to clean up the mess.
Holy sexual innuendo, Batman!
Old 07-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #123
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

Looks like the Mavs acquired Anthony Johnson from the Pacers for Darrell Armstrong. Johnson dropped 40 pts in a game against the Nets in the playoffs while Darrell Armstrong was the 12th man for the Mavs. Good move for Dallas. I like all their moves so far this offseason.

PG Terry/Johnson
SG Harris/Buckner
C Diop/Dampier
PF Dirk/Croshere
SF Howard/Stackhouse

That's pretty solid. They are legitimately two deep at every position.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #124
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Depending on who you ask, they're not two deep at SG....
Old 07-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #125
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

Quote:
Depending on who you ask, they're not two deep at SG....
That's where Eddie Griffin and Reggie Evans step into the picture.

Har

Har

Har