The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #151
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by §PideŽ
I see so we can throw out personal insults at Mock all day , call him a molester , Drunk and a guy who bangs his cat ..................Kinda murky on the difference there Hogan
Nope....those doing that to Mock should get the 30 days as well as he should if he resorts to personal attacks. No murky whatever, the same rule should be applied to the board as a whole with no forum/individual above it's ramifications......and it should be enforced without exception.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #152
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
Nope....those doing that to Mock should get the 30 days as well as he should if he resorts to personal attacks. No murky whatever, the same rule should be applied to the board as a whole with no forum/individual above it's ramifications......and it should be enforced without exception.

Another example Hogan, on "why doesn't the constitution work"......
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:01 AM   #153
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This forum doesn't need a moderator. Hell, it doesn't need "hard and fast" rules for a moderator to enforce. It just needs a group of people who respect eachother enough that when someone gets out of line and starts getting vulgar, they step up and put that person in check.

I am calling the community out here. You are all being put in check here. If you want this forum to survive, then I suggest you take a little pride in this place, and speak up when someone starts getting vulgar, regardless of politics. If you guys can't find it in you to show that you care on that basic level, then what is the point of having the forum here in the first place?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #154
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

What power does one have beyond "calling someone out" have? I've called out a few people and nothing changes TJ. I by no means am perfect - but really most of the vulgarity IMO comes not from lack of communication, but lack of listening.

For the most part, i live in a dichotomy. I want to help enlighten people, but also feel sad that the human race seems doomed to keep falling on our sword time and time again.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #155
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
What power does one have beyond "calling someone out" have? I've called out a few people and nothing changes TJ. I by no means am perfect - but really most of the vulgarity IMO comes not from lack of communication, but lack of listening.
That's my question as well. So somebody starts being vulgar and we tell them to stop...like that's going to work. And if we report them then we accused of being rats and complaining and eventually that list will get high enough to can the forum.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #156
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
What a bunch of Bunk.

I can't believe we're even having this discussion.

Most of the online sports boards I've seen on the web have a section where people play rough. One of the dumbest things going is the board...I can't remember which one...maybe Miami's finheaven.com?...where if you say the slightest thing against the party line...you're banned. It's a joke.

Political mudslinging and downright viciousness are an American tradition that goes all the way back to the founding fathers. It's part of our political heritage to verbally beat the crap out of each other and then decide things with a ballot rather than a gun. And besides...the internet's adopted a code of behavior all it's own. Calling somebody a fool, jerk, nitwit, a******, moron, scumbag, sh**head, or b**ch in the real world will usually get you popped in the nose. Online manners are a bit different. When you post on these boards you should EXPECT to get called names and abused. It's part and parcel of the internet culture. If we ban somebody everytime a personal attack is used pretty soon you'll either have nobody left in here or this place will be just another haven for pansies and whiners.

People just need to get a little thicker skin if they're going to post in here and quit wimpering like a bunch of little girl scouts everytime somebody bloodies your nose. The best defense against personal attacks is to know your facts and be able to articulate them in a way that shuts your opponents mouths and makes them flee back to the main board or risk looking stupid.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #157
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Well we can all agree that once everyone on here wakes up and realizes Hotrods always right there will be much less to fight about.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #158
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27
The best defense against personal attacks is to know your facts and be able to articulate them in a way that shuts your opponents mouths and makes them flee back to the main board or risk looking stupid.
That rarely works. Some folks don't even realize when they've been toasted - they just keep up the name-calling and personal attacks.
W*GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #159
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS
That rarely works. Some folks don't even realize when they've been toasted - they just keep up the name-calling and personal attacks.

What do you do to enable this behaviour though?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 59-5_02.jpeg (11.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 07-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #160
DBruleU
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
This forum doesn't need a moderator. Hell, it doesn't need "hard and fast" rules for a moderator to enforce. It just needs a group of people who respect eachother enough that when someone gets out of line and starts getting vulgar, they step up and put that person in check.

I am calling the community out here. You are all being put in check here. If you want this forum to survive, then I suggest you take a little pride in this place, and speak up when someone starts getting vulgar, regardless of politics. If you guys can't find it in you to show that you care on that basic level, then what is the point of having the forum here in the first place?
calling someone out? That will never work. Either you let this room do as they please, and continue doing what they have been doing, or you just nuke the entire room and not have to worry/deal with it again.

I agree with BB, and some other posters, this thread was pretty worthless. Nothing here will change, unless its completely gone.
DBruleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #161
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBruleU
calling someone out? That will never work. Either you let this room do as they please, and continue doing what they have been doing, or you just nuke the entire room and not have to worry/deal with it again.

I agree with BB, and some other posters, this thread was pretty worthless. Nothing here will change, unless its completely gone.

Or unless people make a concerted effort to make the change(s).
Old 07-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #162
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I do get rather tired of the cop out(s):

It's always been that way, that's the way it is, etc.

WE, YOU, THEM, US - has an opportunity to learn from each other and while i think it's might white of us to stand on our larauls and say "we attack with words, and ideas".

What's the score, what's next?

Who here is willing to challenge themself, and start changing the world with their own perception of the universe?

I know I am.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #163
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:

WE, YOU, THEM, US - has an opportunity to learn from each other and while i think it's might white of us to stand on our larauls and say "we attack with words, and ideas".

Who here is willing to challenge themself, and start changing the world with their own perception of the universe?

I know I am.
Alright fine... I believe in Bigfoot... Happy
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #164
DBruleU
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Or unless people make a concerted effort to make the change(s).
Yeah, but that effort will last all of 2 days, and then it's back to the same old WRP forum it always has been.
DBruleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #165
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Yeah, but that effort will last all of 2 days, and then it's back to the same old WRP forum it always has been.
I think it could change for more then 2 days but if the dems fail to take congress or lose another presidential election watch for some to completly meltdown
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #166
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:

And what do you do to enable this behaviour?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #167
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave
Alright fine... I believe in Bigfoot... Happy

dave....

Submission isn't so bad.....
Old 07-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #168
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Political mudslinging and downright viciousness are an American tradition that goes all the way back to the founding fathers. It's part of our political heritage to verbally beat the crap out of each other and then decide things with a ballot rather than a gun.
There's a problem with this theory. Here, we aren't really solving any problems. We just hash and rehash the same arguments until someone does something that's the equivalent of crying "uncle".

Quote:
And besides...the internet's adopted a code of behavior all it's own. Calling somebody a fool, jerk, nitwit, a******, moron, scumbag, sh**head, or b**ch in the real world will usually get you popped in the nose. Online manners are a bit different. When you post on these boards you should EXPECT to get called names and abused. It's part and parcel of the internet culture.
Why does it have to be this way? Why can't people have a debate without resorting to namecalling just because they can hide behind a computer?
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #169
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic
There's a problem with this theory. Here, we aren't really solving any problems. We just hash and rehash the same arguments until someone does something that's the equivalent of crying "uncle".

Why does it have to be this way? Why can't people have a debate without resorting to namecalling just because they can hide behind a computer?

I know I am.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #170
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

crush - per your rep comments.

I have these old educational movies and one always struck me "it's not us, it's the neighbors".

how true, how true.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #171
Saddletramp
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic

because people dont care.
Saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #172
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddletramp
because people dont care.

Or is it a reaction akin to the anus clenching up when proposed with something that is outside of what they think and/or believe?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #173
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

The people saying "it can't be done," to me, are the people who dont care one way or another if this forum is around or not.

The people saying, "it starts with me," are the people I'm looking for here to step up. Nice to see some of them piping into the discussion. Those are the only people who will save this forum. Otherwise, it's not worth the headache. I'm not here to babysit, and I'm not going to appoint a babysitter in this forum and make them responsible for this mess.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #174
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
The people saying "it can't be done," to me, are the people who dont care one way or another if this forum is around or not.

The people saying, "it starts with me," are the people I'm looking for here to step up. Nice to see some of them piping into the discussion. Those are the only people who will save this forum. Otherwise, it's not worth the headache. I'm not here to babysit, and I'm not going to appoint a babysitter in this forum and make them responsible for this mess.

TJ,

Beyond those of us who are 'stepping up'. (which IMO you are right and as noted has been stated by some of us - the overall point on those at fault, etc)

But if i may ask, since most of us are adults:

May i ask who is complaining (not nec. user names, but are they from 'both sides' - "all sides", etc?)? What are the nature complaints? Those people that are complaining, do they do behaviour that enables a retaliation that then offends them?

I'm more of a cultural psycologist - and i'm trying to get people to understand that the old saying 'for every action there is an equal reaction' applies to EVERYTHING -

Amesj believes in the laws of equivalent exchange.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #175
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
What a bunch of Bunk.

I can't believe we're even having this discussion.

Most of the online sports boards I've seen on the web have a section where people play rough. One of the dumbest things going is the board...I can't remember which one...maybe Miami's finheaven.com?...where if you say the slightest thing against the party line...you're banned. It's a joke.

Political mudslinging and downright viciousness are an American tradition that goes all the way back to the founding fathers. It's part of our political heritage to verbally beat the crap out of each other and then decide things with a ballot rather than a gun. And besides...the internet's adopted a code of behavior all it's own. Calling somebody a fool, jerk, nitwit, a******, moron, scumbag, sh**head, or b**ch in the real world will usually get you popped in the nose. Online manners are a bit different. When you post on these boards you should EXPECT to get called names and abused. It's part and parcel of the internet culture. If we ban somebody everytime a personal attack is used pretty soon you'll either have nobody left in here or this place will be just another haven for pansies and whiners.

People just need to get a little thicker skin if they're going to post in here and quit wimpering like a bunch of little girl scouts everytime somebody bloodies your nose. The best defense against personal attacks is to know your facts and be able to articulate them in a way that shuts your opponents mouths and makes them flee back to the main board or risk looking stupid.
Bunk indeed.

I thought this Board was trying to be much more than just an online community, as the tailgates attest to. The Boards' rules are pretty clear to me.....to suggest that certain forums or individuals should be above them subverts them and renders them meaningless as a whole. It reduces the Mane to being just another board for internet tough guys....a total cliche.

Whatever....I'm beyond the "internet badass" thing..in fact, I find it to be rather childish, but I also understand that it's some people's form of "release"..so there you go. If the forum goes anarchist and the rules are selective, then fine by me......I'll roll with whatever happens but taking forum rules seriously? That will be a stretch and a half if this goes down like it apparently is.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote