The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #251
ClevelandBronco
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Freedonia
Posts: 1,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
I'm looking for people saying "I'll do my part."
I'll do my part.
ClevelandBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #252
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

OK... I just rep'd everyone on this thread...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #253
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
Why do I get the creepy feeling that nominating a mod for here will turn the place into a conservative dominated forum? I suspect that's who does the majority of the complaining about posts and posters anyways.....I could be wrong, but I doubt that I am.

Close the forum? It'll never happen....TJ knows such a move risks moving the circus to the main board, something no one wants. The mods have their hands full with that as it is when certain posters ignore the rules and post political/current event threads in the main forum.....does anyone think they want to see that quadrupled?

IMHO, If personal attacks persist, then whack them with 30 days....that's it.

Problem solved
.

Simple and affective and there is no need to close the forum.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #254
Tredici
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconer
What do you mean it is a male behavior? That really ticks me off. I can tell you are a manhater! Just reading your post makes me feel ill. I am going to talk to TJ about getting you banned!
Ah Falconer, you are priceless. It's good to know there is some form of civilization out here in cyberspace wilderness!
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #255
Tredici
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave
OK... I just rep'd everyone on this thread...
I guess now we have to add lying to the mix...

Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #256
Falconer
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Falconer's Avatar
 
This day is for you

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave
OK... I just rep'd everyone on this thread...
And people wonder why parents are taking their children out of public schools!
When teachers lower themselves to lying, I say that just crosses the line. I only have to say to Dave: Liar, liar, pants on fire!
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:42 PM   #257
Rascal
RIP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,151

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave
OK... I just rep'd everyone on this thread...
Like hell you did you lying liberal bastard.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #258
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconer
And people wonder why parents are taking their children out of public schools!
When teachers lower themselves to lying, I say that just crosses the line. I only have to say to Dave: Liar, liar, pants on fire!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal
Like hell you did you lying liberal bastard.

ooopps guess i missed you guys... I'll get you tomorrow, my rep stick is worn out
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #259
Saddletramp
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
No. I don't think you get it. This forum is more of a headache than it's worth and I couldn't care less at this point if it were here or not. If you folks don't collectively come together to clean it up, get the vulgarity gone, get together to keep the discussions from devolving away from the topics and turning into a forum on who can sling the dirtiest mud, then I'm dumping it. If escalations here continue to go from bad to worse without someone stepping in and getting discussion back on track, then it's not a discussion forum, it's a personal attack forum, and I don't want the headaches involved, or more importantly, I don't want it reflecting on the forum as a whole.

There's no ONE person you guys can blame this on, try as you might. It's a conglomeration of things that build up and build up and build up and finally the damn has sprung a leak. You guys can examine this from any angle you choose to and discuss double standards and fairness until the cows come home, but it's not going to change the fact that this board has approached the territory "more trouble than it's worth."

Whine and cry and kick and scream all you want. God forbid you take any personal responsibility for it though. This forum doesn't need a moderator. It needs 50 of them, all moderating themselves, and reeling in their friends and even rivals when they're getting out of line. It doesn't need hard and fast rules. It needs people who show a little respect for the rest of the community here by not posting homo-erotic pictures of Bin Ladin mounting George Bush from behind (and the like).

But while this forum has become more trouble than it's worth, when it comes right down to it, I don't really want to pull the plug on it. I will if I have to. Happily. But I'm giving this community the final say on that, and it will come down to the message it sends me through their actions while posting on this board. Resistance is futile. You're only burning my fuse, and accomplishing nothing in the process. I'm not looking for people to resist here. I'm looking for people saying "I'll do my part."

Buff... I said Rascal had the post of the year. You said "Nonsense." My advice to you is to beg Footsteps do one of his little in depth analyses on what Rascal posted. You might not like the way I'm doing my job here... But it's getting done, and one way or the other the problem WILL get solved. I suggest you endeavor to be a part of the solution.

TJ would the bold and underlined also include posts like the following?




Quote:
originally posted by amesj523
don't hate me for my penis
__________________
Saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #260
defenseman
Ring of Famer
 
defenseman's Avatar
 
2007 record pred. (7-9)

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 9,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
No. I don't think you get it. This forum is more of a headache than it's worth and I couldn't care less at this point if it were here or not. If you folks don't collectively come together to clean it up, get the vulgarity gone, get together to keep the discussions from devolving away from the topics and turning into a forum on who can sling the dirtiest mud, then I'm dumping it. If escalations here continue to go from bad to worse without someone stepping in and getting discussion back on track, then it's not a discussion forum, it's a personal attack forum, and I don't want the headaches involved, or more importantly, I don't want it reflecting on the forum as a whole.
There's no ONE person you guys can blame this on, try as you might. It's a conglomeration of things that build up and build up and build up and finally the damn has sprung a leak. You guys can examine this from any angle you choose to and discuss double standards and fairness until the cows come home, but it's not going to change the fact that this board has approached the territory "more trouble than it's worth."
Whine and cry and kick and scream all you want. God forbid you take any personal responsibility for it though. This forum doesn't need a moderator. It needs 50 of them, all moderating themselves, and reeling in their friends and even rivals when they're getting out of line. It doesn't need hard and fast rules. It needs people who show a little respect for the rest of the community here by not posting homo-erotic pictures of Bin Ladin mounting George Bush from behind (and the like).
TJ, as much as I agree with your take, it can get better, it will not. Without a hint of some sort of "hammer" being dropped square on someones head if they get out of line, it simply will not change. People are people. Standards are standards. Successful people establish a standard and ensure it is adhered to. If people do not comply, they pay a price. Simple as that. On that note, and reading your take, I'd recommend shutting it down now. Why deal with the headache? Again, if there is no punishment, the "crime" will continue. The "peer" group certianly will not get it "fixed" to the standard you've apparently set for these types of threads, only you and your hammer can do that. Herego, if you don't want to swing the hammer anymore to enforce the standard, remove the need for the standard to alleviate your "headache"...dman
defenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #261
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,075

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddletramp
TJ would the bold and underlined also include posts like the following?





__________________

I didn't swear or post obscene pictures. I posted a hard medical term for that part of the male anatomy. Your flaccid argument does not stand up for itself.

Last edited by alkemical; 07-11-2006 at 02:44 PM..
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #262
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddletramp
TJ would the bold and underlined also include posts like the following?





__________________

Please, please tell me you were making a joke.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #263
Pezman
Livin the dream
 
Pezman's Avatar
 
Andy did you hear about this one?

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Smoggy SoCal
Posts: 9,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default

Ok, this is a very strange proposal and I'm not even sure if it would be a good compromise for anyone, but what about moving this forum to the Horses Butt as a sub-forum or better yet, making it a restricted forum, password protected area?

I know one of the big concerns is that we have many families that visit the site and of course, the Mane's general idea is to be a family friendly forum. Frankly, I think we could all come to a compromise that would allow everyone the freedom to speak their mind, even if its vulgar, yet not turn viciously personal with tasteless threats towards each other. Then again, maybe I'm just too much of an idealist...
__________________
Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Pezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #264
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,075

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Well i guess as long as we got nice lewd pictures of women around, what could be more family safe.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #265
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
Buff... I said Rascal had the post of the year. You said "Nonsense." My advice to you is to beg Footsteps do one of his little in depth analyses on what Rascal posted.
No need to beg...my pleasure;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal

People...

Quit b****ing about it.
I didn't know asking for clarification on what was and what was not acceptable was "b****ing" (can I say that since it's got *'s in it?...since I think somebody said we're not supposed to use *'s anymore I figured I'd better ask.)
Quote:
It's not going to do any good but piss of TJ more. It's obvious something happened or has been happening that pissed him off. He's made it clear he won't install new moderators for a full time basis and will rely on the forum to moderate itself.
That's cool. Now if I just knew what I was looking for I'd know how to moderate myself...and others too. Clearly I'm a poor judge of what's vulgar and what's not...so help is/was requested so I could get it straight. No answer on that though. TJ already said in the thread I referenced earlier that he didn't know where to draw the line with political/religious harassment, so I'm sure I don't either.
Quote:
So the next time you see somebody being an a-hole, report their ass, and encourage others to ignore them and let the mods punish them. That simple.
How come "ass" doesn't get turned into *** but b****ing does?...you get the idea. Anyway...my struggle is this; almost everyone in here's an A-hole...duh. Why do you think we're all in here to begin with? We like each other's company! Now I just need to know whether I report little A-holes or just the big A-holes? And of course how to determine which is which... That...and how to get the A-holes in group A to report the A-holes in group B...without becoming bigger A-holes in the process...which of course would mean...they...get banned also...for becoming group B A-holes by ratting out their compadres...or something like that. I'm getting a headache...
Quote:
If it doesn't get them banned or punished on the main forum, then it won't here either. Act civil and all will be well...savy?
Can I have a list of all the stuff that gets people banned on the main board please? That would be very helpful. Right now all I'm sure of is that photshopped pix of bin Laden and Bush doin' the nasty are a major no-no...but I already knew that after getting the hook. The lewd nudie pix, BJ references and the thousands of references to morons, idiots, sh**heads, assumptions about people's mothers...etc...are clearly A-OK as long as it's done in the spirit of attacking choice or opinion...or has that changed now?

I think I made some valid points...but got no explanations. I asked some point blank questions...and got no answers...just a reference to something I've already been punished for in the past and obviously won't be doing in the future.

I think most in here would agree I usually keep things on topic and away from the mudslinging...and I'll be glad to do my part. I just wish I had a better idea what it was...

And this concludes my little in-depth analysis. I hope you enjoyed my thoughts and I thank you for taking the time from your busy schedules to read it.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #266
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman
Ok, this is a very strange proposal and I'm not even sure if it would be a good compromise for anyone, but what about moving this forum to the Horses Butt as a sub-forum or better yet, making it a restricted forum, password protected area?

I know one of the big concerns is that we have many families that visit the site and of course, the Mane's general idea is to be a family friendly forum. Frankly, I think we could all come to a compromise that would allow everyone the freedom to speak their mind, even if its vulgar, yet not turn viciously personal with tasteless threats towards each other. Then again, maybe I'm just too much of an idealist...
Pez

Out of curiosity what problem does that solve? If you want to age restrict to 18 and over crowd that fine, but I don't know value that adds to the board with your proposal.

Why I understand TJ's position, I don't want him to loose that long term vision that he seem to have for the board- a online community megasite. Most folks can not talk football 24-7; and this section of the board does allow folks in the community to gather and talk about important issues, ie it act a reason to come to the orangemane, even when you don't feel like talking football.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #267
Pezman
Livin the dream
 
Pezman's Avatar
 
Andy did you hear about this one?

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Smoggy SoCal
Posts: 9,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default

Frankly, I always felt this forum would be a great way to jab at each other without being overly preachy. But, now I wonder if it would be more effective as a gloves off, no holds barred area that could work well. As long as everyone agrees to disagree right?
__________________
Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Pezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:57 PM   #268
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,075

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

I really want to know who is b****ing and if not who, i want to know what their beefs are.

Upfront and frank. If you can't tell some stranger over the internet why they offended you - then maybe you are as much of the problem as the 'vulgartus postus assmunchus'.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:57 PM   #269
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman
Frankly, I always felt this forum would be a great way to jab at each other without being overly preachy. But, now I wonder if it would be more effective as a gloves off, no holds barred area that could work well. As long as everyone agrees to disagree right?

That fine, with me. Unlike some I don't think are really nasty to each other here. But then again I might be missing it, only told I was an ass by Mock.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #270
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,578

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman
Ok, this is a very strange proposal and I'm not even sure if it would be a good compromise for anyone, but what about moving this forum to the Horses Butt as a sub-forum or better yet, making it a restricted forum, password protected area?

I know one of the big concerns is that we have many families that visit the site and of course, the Mane's general idea is to be a family friendly forum. Frankly, I think we could all come to a compromise that would allow everyone the freedom to speak their mind, even if its vulgar, yet not turn viciously personal with tasteless threats towards each other. Then again, maybe I'm just too much of an idealist...
Sometimes, these arguments spill over into the main forum. That's a problem...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #271
defenseman
Ring of Famer
 
defenseman's Avatar
 
2007 record pred. (7-9)

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 9,231
Default

Common decency, will be tough to enforce here on this board. The rules would be long and distinguished. Legislating and enforcing it is nearly impossible. So, have plenty of tylenol handy or do away with it..dman
defenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #272
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,075

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

The mainforum where it's ok to tell someone who would be a 'fan of the opposition' that they can go suck my balls - but not someone who is of a 'different political view point than mine'?
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #273
defenseman
Ring of Famer
 
defenseman's Avatar
 
2007 record pred. (7-9)

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 9,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman
Frankly, I always felt this forum would be a great way to jab at each other without being overly preachy. But, now I wonder if it would be more effective as a gloves off, no holds barred area that could work well. As long as everyone agrees to disagree right?

Very few takers would venture onto such a specified forum. The bolded section? Doesn't work that way here most of the time....like a dog chasing it's tail..dman
defenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #274
Pezman
Livin the dream
 
Pezman's Avatar
 
Andy did you hear about this one?

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Smoggy SoCal
Posts: 9,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13
Pez

Out of curiosity what problem does that solve? If you want to age restrict to 18 and over crowd that fine, but I don't know value that adds to the board with your proposal.

Why I understand TJ's position, I don't want him to loose that long term vision that he seem to have for the board- a online community megasite. Most folks can not talk football 24-7; and this section of the board does allow folks in the community to gather and talk about important issues, ie it act a reason to come to the orangemane, even when you don't feel like talking football.
Honestly Elsid, I, like most of us, love to relax and let the f-bombs and language fly in person. But I've always felt like this forum shouldnt be the place to let loose with my language. If restricting it to a forum where language like that could be tolerated without worrying about who it offends, I would feel better for myself.

Then again, I guess my own issue with this forum doesnt stem from the source of this latest thread... only the personal attacks and threats like LABF had happen to him last fall. Stuff like that is garbage and has no place in a public forum. I know at times things slip by, stuff gets said, pictures go unnoticed, but when someone is threatening another... well, you get the idea bro.
__________________
Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Pezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #275
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman
I know one of the big concerns is that we have many families that visit the site and of course, the Mane's general idea is to be a family friendly forum.
Yes...me, the wife and the 6 kids love to gather 'round the laptop and have family night suckin' down the Mane for a realy good time.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Denver Broncos