The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2015, 01:26 AM   #1
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default republicans have lost the 2016 elections,repealing the 14th ammendment? lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...t-citizenship/

Quote:
This discussion about birthright citizenship sends an incredibly clear message to Hispanic voters, a message of naked hostility to them and people like them. It’s possible to argue that you’re “pro-immigrant” while simultaneously saying we should build more walls and double the size of the Border Patrol. Indeed, many Republicans do, and while their argument may not be particularly persuasive, it’s not completely crazy. But you can’t say you’re pro-immigrant and advocate ending birthright citizenship. You just can’t.

I promise you that next fall, there are going to be ads like this running all over the country, and especially on Spanish-language media:

“My name is Lisa Hernandez. I was born in California, grew up there. I was valedictorian of my high school class, graduated from Yale, and now I’m in medical school; I’m going to be a pediatrician. But now Scott Walker and the Republicans say that because my mom is undocumented, that I’m not a real American and I shouldn’t be a citizen. I’m living the American Dream, but they want to take it away from me and people like me. Well I’ve got a message for you, Governor Walker. I’m every bit as American as your children. This country isn’t about who your parents were, it’s about everybody having a chance to work hard, achieve, and contribute to our future. It seems like some people forgot that.”

When a hundred ads like that one are blanketing the airwaves, the Republicans can say, “Wait, I support legal immigration!” all they want, but it won’t matter. Hispanic voters will have heard once again — and louder than ever before — that the GOP doesn’t like them and doesn’t want them. Will it be different if they nominate one of the candidates who doesn’t want to repeal birthright citizenship, like Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio? Somewhat, but the damage among Hispanic voters could already be too great even for them to overcome.

Quote:
under even the most absurdly optimistic scenario for Republicans — “that white voters consolidate behind the Republican Party at levels that were observed in 2014; that black participation and Democratic support returns to pre-Obama levels; and the expected growth in the Latino vote does not fully materialize” — the Republican candidate would need 42 percent of the Hispanic vote to win. As a point of comparison, according to exit polls Mitt Romney got 27 percent of Hispanic votes in 2012, while John McCain got 31 percent in 2008. Under a more likely scenario, with an electorate that votes something like in 2012 but with African-American turnout reduced, the Republican would need 47 percent of the Hispanic vote. In their worst-case scenario for Republicans — an electorate that votes identically to the way it did in 2012, but adjusted for changes in population — the Republican would need a stunning 52 percent of Hispanic votes.

So to sum up: even in the best possible situation when it comes to turnout and the vote choices of the rest of the electorate, the Republican presidential candidate in 2016 is going to have to pull off an absolutely heroic performance among Hispanic voters if he’s going to win
The great thing about how stupid the right is on this issue is that it doesn't matter who wins the dem primary. Whether it's HCR, bernie sanders or the fry cook at your local McDonalds a dem will be the next President.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2015, 01:44 AM   #2
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...t-citizenship/

The great thing about how stupid the right is on this issue is that it doesn't matter who wins the dem primary. Whether it's HCR, bernie sanders or the fry cook at your local McDonalds a dem will be the next President.
Way to alienate everybody in America except the far-far-right fringe, Rethugs!
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:03 AM   #3
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kapri Bibbs

They have to hope they can combine their phony voting fraud software with the draconian anti voter laws and other mischief to steal the election ala the hanging chad kind of **** they pulled off in Florida for Dubya
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:23 AM   #4
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
They have to hope they can combine their phony voting fraud software with the draconian anti voter laws and other mischief to steal the election ala the hanging chad kind of **** they pulled off in Florida for Dubya
They will need more than that. It's not just Hispanic voters,but Asians as well. The only demographic out there that a majority of supports rethugs is whites. They vote republican in the 55-60% range.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:28 AM   #5
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN

God bless Donald Trump
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trevor Siemian!

Do any of you ****tards even know why that was an amendment? Geez, even Canada got rid of that.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kapri Bibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Do any of you ****tards even know why that was an amendment? Geez, even Canada got rid of that.
The short bus is outside honking
Old 08-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

Makes sense in a way - dems want to do away with the second amendment. I guess it just depends on the amendment you do not agree with.
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Got to see Lady Gaga

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shaq Barrett

I don't get why we would have to repeal the 14th amendment. The 14th amendment allowed congress to create a special, federal citizenship status (a power previously reserved only for the states) and apply it to recently freed slaves. It doesn't apply to anybody else. The SCOTUS should simply clarify that and we can move on.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #10
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kapri Bibbs

It's settled law and Rump knows full well he can't change that. This is just more grist for the crazy mill. The GOP has ****ed themselves six ways to Sunday with this carnival barker.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I don't get why we would have to repeal the 14th amendment. The 14th amendment allowed congress to create a special, federal citizenship status (a power previously reserved only for the states) and apply it to recently freed slaves. It doesn't apply to anybody else. The SCOTUS should simply clarify that and we can move on.
Indeed.

BTW, welcome back!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #12
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
It's settled law and Rump knows full well he can't change that. This is just more grist for the crazy mill. The GOP has ****ed themselves six ways to Sunday with this carnival barker.
Yep.

It's just more red meat to the ditto monkeys.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #13
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Let's keep in mind that Bernie Sanders is also pretty vehemently anti-illegal immigration. Maybe not anchor baby style but he also would put a stop to it. Only reason he doesn't get the grief that Trump does it because he calls it a Koch Bros. conspiracy.

Something I respect of both of them. No way you can tackle shifting class inequalities without first taking on illegal immigration then STEM work visas.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #14
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Welcome back Roh.

I hope you are doing OK. You were gone for awhile
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #15
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Let's keep in mind that Bernie Sanders is also pretty vehemently anti-illegal immigration. Maybe not anchor baby style but he also would put a stop to it. Only reason he doesn't get the grief that Trump does it because he calls it a Koch Bros. conspiracy.

Something I respect of both of them. No way you can tackle shifting class inequalities without first taking on illegal immigration then STEM work visas.
Vehemently anti-illegal immigration? BS. Not even close.

Last edited by peacepipe; 08-20-2015 at 11:26 AM..
Old 08-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Got to see Lady Gaga

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shaq Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Indeed.

BTW, welcome back!
Thanks. How are the trogs?
Old 08-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Got to see Lady Gaga

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shaq Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Welcome back Roh.

I hope you are doing OK. You were gone for awhile
I just don't believe that PM will take the Broncos anywhere and it pisses me off. So, I really don't want to read some aholes worshiping him constantly. It's like nails on a chalkboard. The guy is a choker. Simple. Sooner we move on, the better. Since I can't add much to the discussion other than that..., like the old saying goes: If you have nothing good to say...
I'm liking the pass rush so far.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #18
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trevor Siemian!

Quote:
I just don't believe that PM will take the Broncos anywhere and it pisses me off. So, I really don't want to read some aholes worshiping him constantly. It's like nails on a chalkboard. The guy is a choker. Simple. Sooner we move on, the better. Since I can't add much to the discussion other than that..., like the old saying goes: If you have nothing good to say...
I'm liking the pass rush so far.
Chrissy is gone now. You can thank drunken broncoholic. So no need to put up with that anymore. And great post on the 14th.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #19
ShaneFalco
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i want tebow back to be honest. I really do. Not even a lie
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #20
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
i want tebow back to be honest. I really do. Not even a lie
He'll be available after he is cut once again in 2 or 3 weeks..
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:33 AM   #21
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Thanks. How are the trogs?
They seem to be devolving at an even faster pace than when you were here last.

This season's GOP field is like a freak sideshow - alternately entertaining and frightening.

Hope you can stick around for the inevitable right-wing implosion - should be fun to watch.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:44 AM   #22
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Would current U.S. citizens be grandfathered in? Otherwise the citizenship of millions could be questioned or taken from. Where do you draw the line? If my father was born here,I was born here but yet my grandmother or great grandmother came here illegally, do we all lose our citizenship?
A can of worms not even SCOTUS will wanna mess with.

Anyway,the complaints about the 14th ammendment comming from the entire GOP field likely has to more with voter suppression than actually caring about ones citizenship. I garuantee governors like Rick scott would be tripping over themselves in an effort to stop Hispanic voters from voting.

Last edited by peacepipe; 08-21-2015 at 06:37 AM..
Old 08-21-2015, 06:59 AM   #23
Rohirrim
Partisan

Got to see Lady Gaga

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shaq Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Would current U.S. citizens be grandfathered in? Otherwise the citizenship of millions could be questioned or taken from. Where do you draw the line? If my father was born here,I was born here but yet my grandmother or great grandmother came here illegally, do we all lose our citizenship?
A can of worms not even SCOTUS will wanna mess with.

Anyway,the complaints about the 14th ammendment comming from the entire GOP field likely has to more with voter suppression than actually caring about ones citizenship. I garuantee governors like Rick scott would be tripping over themselves in an effort to stop Hispanic voters from voting.
That's probably true, but I still think the U.S. should, like France, treat citizenship as something of great value, not give it away like some cheap prize at a carnival. As far as the grandfathering goes, sure, for purely logistical reasons you create a demarcation line - from this date forward, etc.

I still remember a PEW research poll done some years back on unauthorized immigrant attitudes that showed that a majority of those who immigrate from Latin America have no intention of staying here, don't learn the language, and look at U.S. citizenship only for its benefits, and none of the responsibilities. Their intention is basically parasitic. Like so many "American" corporations based in the Caribbean.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan

Got to see Lady Gaga

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shaq Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
They seem to be devolving at an even faster pace than when you were here last.

This season's GOP field is like a freak sideshow - alternately entertaining and frightening.

Hope you can stick around for the inevitable right-wing implosion - should be fun to watch.

And the worthless media is selling it like a reality show. Sheldon Wolin has it right on the nose: 24/7 political speech with no real politics discussed. It's a carnival, put on by the oligarchs, for the benefit of the rubes.

I was amazed when a former POTUS, Jimmy Carter, two weeks ago admitted that the U.S. is no longer a democracy, but a corporate oligarchy. The next day, there was no mention of this in the media. I was flabbergasted. Of course, it's probably more important to most of the American people to know what Kim has chosen to wear today.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #25
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Democrats should bring the best candidate forward --

Is Hillary the best? She is politically shrewd -- but can she deal with the HUGE problems that lie ahead? A currency crisis? A stock market crash?

Answer: no.

Dems should dump Hillary and nominate someone with the economic smarts to bring the Wall Street banksters to heel. MHG
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote