The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #1726
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn
Not that he's made much noise, but I'm sure it still hurts them:

Kings centre Jeremy Roenick will likely miss the rest of the season after suffering a fractured ankle last night. The injury occurred midway through the second period, when Roenick blocked a slapshot from Predators defenseman Shea Weber. - Tennessean
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=
he really didnt do much this year, Im not going to miss him. The only guy I want to see back ASAP is Demitra.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:47 PM   #1727
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
OLN will get regular-season games Monday and Tuesday nights, a large package of playoff games, Games 1 and 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals, and the All-Star Game (there won't be one this year because of the Olympics in February). Beginning in 2006-07, OLN's Monday night game will be the only game televised anywhere in the United States that day.
f***! I really dont like OLN coverage of Hockey!

Quote:
NBC is not paying a rights fee. Instead, the network and league will split revenue. Coverage will include seven regular-season games, six playoff games and Games 3 through 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.
six playoff games on National TV?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:48 AM   #1728
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco
Just way too much expansion under Bettman. Tampa Bay worked out, but in general, the game has less talent because of expansion. Playoff hockey is still perhaps the best tournament in sports. They just need to get it to that level or close to it in the regular season. It's not easy to do though. The NBA is having the same problems. No one cares about these sports in the regular season.
I don't like Bettman, but he shouldn't be criticized for the NHL's '90's expansion. He didn't become commisioner until 1993; the San Jose Sharks (1991), Ottawa Senators (1992), Tampa Bay Lighting (1992), Anaheim Mighty Ducks (1993) and Florida Panthers (1993) were brought into the league before Bettman's tenure.

Then came the Nashville Predators (1998), Atlanta Thrashers (1999), Minnesota Wild (2000), and Columbus Blue Jackets (2000).

I've never bought into the argument that the NHL is a less talented league because of expansion. The Soviets only started coming over in 1989 and even then there weren't that many. Now, 18 years and 9 teams later, there are so many more Russian, Czech, Slovak, Finnish, Swedish, Swiss, Latvian, German, etc players in the league. The U.S. has started producing more players than they have in the past. Canada still produces the most NHL players, but the less skilled Canadians have lost their jobs.

I think the league is in a great place right now with all the young talent that has broken out this season. Alexander Ovechkin is the best rookie since Selanne and Lindros in 1992-'93. Then you've got Sidney Crosby, who's having one of the best seasons by an 18-year old ever. And Dion Phaneuf is quietly putting up incredible numbers for a rookie defenseman up in Calgary. Henrik Lundqvist has already won an Olympic gold medal this year and might win the Vezina, but amazingly not the Calder.

Then you can turn to the Western Conference playoff race to prove that the league is not lacking for talented teams. This has been a great season so far. And we all know the playoffs will be even better; the Stanley Cup playoffs are the best tournament in North America.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:39 AM   #1729
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco
Just way too much expansion under Bettman. Tampa Bay worked out, but in general, the game has less talent because of expansion. Playoff hockey is still perhaps the best tournament in sports. They just need to get it to that level or close to it in the regular season. It's not easy to do though. The NBA is having the same problems. No one cares about these sports in the regular season.
I would agree with too much expansion, but don't specifically blame Bettman. Teams struggling with revenue (most of the north of the US Border) happily sucked in franchise fees. Like credit card debt, or robbing Peter to pay Paul. Eventually the folly of that practice catches up.

As to your last statement, how about if you man up and say "I" don't care. Apparently you haven't taken the time to read the diehards posting in this thread. Most watch every single game of their chosen team, a few more on Center Ice, and college broadcasts when available.

The playoffs are the icing but I like the cake.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #1730
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco
Your right, Crosby is terrible. He only has 79 points. My god, for an 18 year old on the worst team in the league, he should be raping Ovechkin. The guy is clearly a scrub.

(And just as im typing this Crosby delivers a great backhand pass right to the tape of Armstrong's stick for a goal).
Good to see my post got under the skin of the person i attended it to do just that. No, your man is a stud ease up. It is like saying Elway was over rated at orangemane. He should do really well once the playoffs start. I hear his golf game is coming along. Enjoy the offseason.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #1731
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey
crap, I was hoping Avs would win tonight because Kings need to catch up. Im also glad there is no SO because because every once in the playoffs there is a game that is played from 7pm till 2am! I just love those games when it goes on to like 4 OTs.
Yeah Dallas vs Ducks in 03. If there were ties in Overtime, Ducks would be in 4th spot now. I think they have won 4 games in overtime or SO while having 12 loses. 2nd seed Stars have only 3 OT losses and O SO losses. Playoffs come and we can throw out that soccer crap. Just a recap of the playoff picture for the west:

4th Nashville 92 points
5th Ducks 86 points
6th Avs 86 points
7th Oilers 84 points
8th Sharks 82 points
9th Canucks 82 points
10th Kings 81 points

I thought Canucks would be ahead of Sharks because of Wins, but it at least clearly shows a 5 point spread from 5th to 10th. Kings at Canucks tonight to see if they flip flop or even be both leap frog the Sharks.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:28 PM   #1732
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey
f***! I really dont like OLN coverage of Hockey!

six playoff games on National TV?

Oh ****.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #1733
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn
Good to see my post got under the skin of the person i attended it to do just that.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #1734
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Yeah Dallas vs Ducks in 03. If there were ties in Overtime, Ducks would be in 4th spot now. I think they have won 4 games in overtime or SO while having 12 loses. 2nd seed Stars have only 3 OT losses and O SO losses. Playoffs come and we can throw out that soccer crap. Just a recap of the playoff picture for the west:

4th Nashville 92 points
5th Ducks 86 points
6th Avs 86 points
7th Oilers 84 points
8th Sharks 82 points
9th Canucks 82 points
10th Kings 81 points

I thought Canucks would be ahead of Sharks because of Wins, but it at least clearly shows a 5 point spread from 5th to 10th. Kings at Canucks tonight to see if they flip flop or even be both leap frog the Sharks.
I believe the longest game I watched on TV was the Flyers vs Pitt. in 2000 playoffs i believe. That was helluva game! Primeau scored the winner.

Going to be an interesting game tonight against the canchokes. I think its a must win so we can put pressure on other teams instead of us.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #1735
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
its hard to understand what those freaking ducks are saying.

BRONCOCALIJOHN as shown below-
Old 03-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #1736
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

wait a second, the reason they keep telling us that the nhl has these stupid shoot outs is cuz you yanks like them, now after readin this thread i get the picture that you guys hate them as much as i do, why the hell are there shootouts if nobody likes them ? end the game as a tie or play until somebody wins, never mind this 5 minute 4 on 4 crap.

As for the dillusion of talent with expansion, me and the guys at work have been talking about that since it actually happened, back in 93 it was starting, teams were starting to have guys as a 4th line that just should not be playing in the nhl.

As hockey fans think back to the 80's, every team at that time had 2 good lines, a checking line that usualy played against the best line on the other team, and then a fouth line that was the new guys they were trying to get into the game. Around 94 teams started only having 1 good line, but they still had a checking line, and usually still had a young guys line, but now they had a line of bums as well.

I disagree with the logic that the russians and other "block" country players didnt come over until after then, the best players always managed to find there way over, now the middle of the pack guys come over too, and i think that is why some of the "bums" have lost jobs. But honestly there are still far to many guys playing that shouldnt be in the NHL. We can thank the new jersey devils for that, they took a bunch of bums and played classic montreal canadiens style "hook hold and trap" hockey and won a cup doing it.

Speaking of jersey, watched the leaf game last night, the stands were half empty, from what i hear they dont get good crouds until the second round of the playoffs there, it wouldnt surprise me if they moved again.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #1737
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

i sorta like the shootout
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #1738
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
i sorta like the shootout
BOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo

dont get me wrong, i dont mind watching them, but its just not the way to decide a team game, let them play till the end or call it a tie.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #1739
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Tie is for wussies.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #1740
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta
wait a second, the reason they keep telling us that the nhl has these stupid shoot outs is cuz you yanks like them, now after readin this thread i get the picture that you guys hate them as much as i do, why the hell are there shootouts if nobody likes them ? end the game as a tie or play until somebody wins, never mind this 5 minute 4 on 4 crap.

As for the dillusion of talent with expansion, me and the guys at work have been talking about that since it actually happened, back in 93 it was starting, teams were starting to have guys as a 4th line that just should not be playing in the nhl.

As hockey fans think back to the 80's, every team at that time had 2 good lines, a checking line that usualy played against the best line on the other team, and then a fouth line that was the new guys they were trying to get into the game. Around 94 teams started only having 1 good line, but they still had a checking line, and usually still had a young guys line, but now they had a line of bums as well.

I disagree with the logic that the russians and other "block" country players didnt come over until after then, the best players always managed to find there way over, now the middle of the pack guys come over too, and i think that is why some of the "bums" have lost jobs. But honestly there are still far to many guys playing that shouldnt be in the NHL. We can thank the new jersey devils for that, they took a bunch of bums and played classic montreal canadiens style "hook hold and trap" hockey and won a cup doing it.

Speaking of jersey, watched the leaf game last night, the stands were half empty, from what i hear they dont get good crouds until the second round of the playoffs there, it wouldnt surprise me if they moved again.
Nah. The Leafs will just advocate expansion so they can rake in more new Franchise Fees.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:40 PM   #1741
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

How are we so bad with shootouts with our offense?
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #1742
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I would Love shoot outs if my team knew how to win them! I dont mind the tie after 4 on 4 overtime. Just seems like a cheap win, but at least the loser gathers a point for compensation. It is exciting, but I dont want them in playoffs. Playoffs is a total different animal. Last guy standing.....
Old 03-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #1743
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I would Love shoot outs if my team knew how to win them! I dont mind the tie after 4 on 4 overtime. Just seems like a cheap win, but at least the loser gathers a point for compensation. It is exciting, but I dont want them in playoffs. Playoffs is a total different animal. Last guy standing.....
Hey champbailey24, here is a photo of your team!

Old 03-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #1744
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Hey champbailey24, here is a photo of your team!

least we know what your girlfreind looks like right.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:27 PM   #1745
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf
How are we so bad with shootouts with our offense?
1. Budaj is the equivalent of an empty net.

2. Quinneville can't figure out Hejduk and Sakic aren't cutting it. Jeez, let Rob Blake slap it from the blue line... Both Svatos and Tanguay were better. At this point I'd rather see Turgeon and even Liles get the opportunity.

The other thing I've noticed is guys who go straight in and make ONE move seem to have a better chance. The guys who are trying to change up and deke 3 or 4 times in the space of time they have to skate end up running out of ice and just shooting right at the goalie.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:30 PM   #1746
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

some guys are better one v one

hell the old joke "how do you keep wayne from scoring?"

"give him a breakaway"
Old 03-27-2006, 05:48 PM   #1747
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

No, I actually really like the shootout. I'd like it a lot more if my team knew how to at least score in one at an attempt to win. I agree with ames, ties suck.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #1748
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
some guys are better one v one

hell the old joke "how do you keep wayne from scoring?"

"give him a breakaway"

Which is why its so shocking to me that Joey blows when it comes to the SO.

I agree with Tred, it's time to let someone else get in there and give it a try. Hell, Brad May could be a bona fide SO star and we'd never know.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #1749
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Which is why its so shocking to me that Joey blows when it comes to the SO.

I agree with Tred, it's time to let someone else get in there and give it a try. Hell, Brad May could be a bona fide SO star and we'd never know.

The mighty jim dowd deserves a shot!
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #1750
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
I would Love shoot outs if my team knew how to win them! I dont mind the tie after 4 on 4 overtime. Just seems like a cheap win, but at least the loser gathers a point for compensation.
see that to me still sounds wrong, you lose the game yet still get a point ? what the hell is that, you do not reward teams for losing games, its just wrong. Play until the game ends, or end it in a tie, these gimmacks to end games in the regular season are just that gimmacks which should be left for minor hockey not the NHL.