The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2006, 11:11 PM   #1426
Jori
US Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson
Any of you that watch NCAA hockey. Can you fill me in on Brian Elliot (Wisconsin Badgers goalie). I heard he's top candidate for best goalie award (not sure). Not bad for a 9th round pick for the Sens.

Stats:

Year GP W L T Min. GA GAA SOG SV% SO
200506 29 22 4 3 1717:40 48 1.68 723 .934 5
Had a strong season for the Badgers, but got hurt. He was the favorite for the Hobey Baker (college hockey's equivalent of the Heisman Trophy in college football). He struggled a bit once he returned from his injury, but has found his groove. He shut out the mighty Gophers today in the third place game of the WCHA Final Five. Elliot was named one of the ten finalists for the Hobey, but I doubt he wins it; due to time missed because of his injury.

Because of DU's early season exit, I think Ryan Potulny is the favorite to the win the Hobey Baker, with DU's Matt Carle running second.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #1427
Jori
US Olympian

NCAA Hockey Tournament Field:

Midwest Regional (Green Bay)
No. 1 Wisconsin vs. No. 4 Bemidji State
No. 2 Cornell vs. No. 3 Colorado College

West Regional (Grand Forks)
No. 1 Minnesota vs. No. 4 Holy Cross
No. 2 North Dakota vs. No. 3 Michigan

East Regional (Albany)
No. 1 Michigan State vs. No. 4 New Hampshire
No. 2 Harvard vs. No. 3 Maine

Northeast Regional (Worcester)
No. 1 Boston U. vs. No. 4 Nebraska-Omaha
No. 2 Miami vs. No. 3 Boston College

Last edited by Jori; 03-19-2006 at 12:20 PM..
Old 03-19-2006, 10:46 AM   #1428
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf
Alright, this one was just for fun.... god I'm such a ****ing geek.
yeah your right, those that wear Av jerseys are geeks. Kings gonna kick some Av ass tommorow!
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:46 AM   #1429
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

The one thing i dont miss about forsberg..

ATLANTA (AP) - The slumping Philadelphia Flyers found out only minutes before Saturday night's game against the Atlanta Thrashers that star center Peter Forsberg would be held out because of a knee injury.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #1430
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Colorado Avalanche vs. San Jose Sharks

GAME: Colorado Avalanche (37-24-6) at San Jose Sharks (32-23-10).

TIME: Sunday, 8 p.m. EST.

The San Jose Sharks look to finish a successful homestand when they host the Colorado Avalanche.

The Sharks won the first four games before falling to Dallas 4-3 in a shootout on Saturday.

San Jose battled back from a 2-0 deficit to earn a point for the sixth straight game, going 4-0-2 in that span.

"I'm not happy with the way we played in the first half of the game, but we took control and got a number of scoring opportunities," Sharks coach Ron Wilson said.

The Sharks trailed midway through the second period before Ville Nieminen, Pat Rissmiller and Milan Michalek scored in a 79-second span.

It was the first NHL goal for Rissmiller and the first goal in a Sharks uniform for Nieminen, acquired from the New York Rangers on March 9.

"We had a chance to win it, but they're one of the best teams in the NHL," Nieminen said of the Pacific Division-leading Stars. "We're disappointed, but we're glad to get a point and keep some of our momentum going."

Michalek has two goals and four assists in his last five games while Joe Thornton had an assist and now has two goals and 10 assists during a six-game points streak.

The Sharks are currently out of the top eight spots in the Western Conference, but their recent surge - done without starting goaltender Evgeni Nabokov, out with an abdominal injury - has moved them within striking distance.

"We are fortunate to have the point because of how we started the game," said Nieminen, who spent the first three seasons of his career with Colorado. "It is a huge point in the standings."

Following this contest, the Sharks leave for a five-game road trip, and will play 10 of their final 16 away from home.

The Avalanche haven't played since Monday, when they lost to Calgary 4-3 to slip to second place behind the Flames in the Northwest Division.

Colorado is in the middle of a five-game road swing, with the next three - San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim - against teams fighting for a playoff spot.

"We obviously needed those two points to send a message, not only to the Flames whom we might see in the postseason, but to the rest of the division and conference," Colorado forward Dan Hinote said after the loss to the Flames. "We realize we're not where we want, which is that top spot, which we had yesterday. We've still got a lot of work to do."

Joe Sakic scored for Colorado against the Flames. Thirteen of his 23 goals this season have come on the road.

Colorado has won seven of the last nine meetings in San Jose and nine of the last 12 with the Sharks overall.

STANDINGS: Avalanche - 80 points, 2nd place, 2 PB, Northwest Division. Sharks - 74 points, 4th place, 19 PB, Pacific Division.

TEAM LEADERS: Avalanche - Marek Svatos, 32 goals; Alex Tanguay, 48 assists and 74 points; Ian Laperriere, 103 PIM. Sharks - Jonathan Cheechoo, 41 goals; Joe Thornton, 73 assists and 98 points; Mark Smith, 83 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Avalanche - Power play: 19.6 percent (79 for 404), 5th in NHL. Penalty killing: 84.5 percent (306 for 362), 7th. Sharks - Power play: 17.5 percent (69 for 394), 18th. Penalty killing: 81.4 percent (260 for 321), 21st.

GOALTENDERS: Avalanche - Peter Budaj (9-7-4, 1 SO, 2.60 GAA); Vitaly Kolesnik (3-3-0, 3.29). Sharks - Vesa Toskala (13-6-3, 2.85); Nabokov (14-16-7, 1, 2.98).

SEASON SERIES: 1-1.

LAST MEETING: Dec. 30; Sharks, 5-2. At San Jose, Calif., Joe Thornton scored two goals to help San Jose snap a four-game losing streak.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Avalanche - 16-16-1 on the road; Sharks - 21-7-6 at home.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #1431
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Avs' new goalie gets warm reception from teammates

DENVER (CP) - Goaltender Jose Theodore met his Colorado teammates for the first time Friday since being acquired from the Montreal Canadiens and said he was happy to be with the Avalanche.

"I feel comfortable in this dressing room and comfortable with my new teammates," Theodore said. "I think at this point a trade was good for my career. I see a great future." Avalanche players returned the compliment.

"This is a great acquisition for us and for Jose," said Colorado defenceman Patrice Brisebois, Theodore's teammate for nine seasons in Montreal.

Theodore, recovering from fractured right heel he suffered last month outside his Montreal home, isn't expected to be ready to play before the playoffs begin April 21. He came to Colorado in exchange for Avs goalie David Aebischer, and helped the Habs clear up massive salary cap space. Theodore will earn $5.5 million US next season and $6 million in 2007-08.

In addition to Brisebois, Theodore already knows others on his new team. Alex Tanguay was in several Team Canada training camps with him, Joe Sakic and Rob Blake were his teammates on a World Cup team, he played with Jim Dowd in Montreal and he trained with Ian Laperriere in the off-season.

"I've skated with and trained with him and tell you that he's not a loud guy in the locker-room, but more of a focus guy," Laperriere said. "He does his business quietly."

Colorado coach Joel Quenneville said that distinguishes Theodore from Patrick Roy, another Montreal goaltender the Avalanche acquired to make a Stanley Cup run.

Roy took the organization by storm when he arrived Dec. 6, 1995, and led the team to a Stanley Cup championship.

"Patrick was more experienced. Jose is quieter," Quenneville said. "Like Patrick, Jose is a big-time goaltender."

"We couldn't have gone wrong with this trade," Tanguay said. "There's aren't too many guys in this league that have won MVP honors (the Hart Trophy) and Vezina Trophy awards."

Quenneville said Theodore will not play until his heel is fully recovered. Theodore said doctors have told him they are pleased with his progress.

"They did all the tests and they told me it's healing properly," Theodore said. "We don't have a timetable, but everything is on schedule and I'm waiting to start skating soon."

Note: Also Friday, the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport in Ottawa announced what had already been made public by Theodore on Feb. 10, that he failed a doping test Dec. 9. The urine sample found Finasteride, a prohibited substance on the World Anti-Doping Agency list but also found in some hair products. Theodore used the hair product propecia and that's what led to the failed doping test.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #1432
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Stastny Named First Team All-WCHA

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php...sprune=-1&f=35

Avalanche prospect Paul Stastny, a sophomore forward at the University of Denver, was crowned WCHA Scoring Champion and All-WCHA First Team, the league announced Friday.

Stastny captured the WCHA Scoring Title in a close race with teammate Matt Carle and Minnesota's Ryan Potulny. The sophomore edged Carle and Potulny by two points by scoring a league-high 44 points on 15 goals and 29 assists in 28 games. Overall, Stastny netted a career-high 53 points on 19 goals and 34 assists in 39 games. He led DU with 18 multi-point games, including three career-high four-point efforts. Stastny has racked up 98 points on 36 goals and 62 assists in 81 career games. He was named WCHA Rookie of the Year last season. Stastny is joined by Carle on the All-WCHA First Team.

Denver forward J.D. Corbin, also an Avalanche draft pick, was named to the All-WCHA Academic Team.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #1433
Jori
US Olympian

Matt Carle forgoes his senior season to sign with the San Jose Sharks.

http://www.sjsharks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=2205

As a DU fan, it's a bitter sweet feeling, but what else does Matt have to prove at the collegiate level? Nothing! I wish him all the best.

Two big cogs gone in Gauthier (graduation) and Carle. The only other potential flight risk is Stastny. I'd be shocked if the Avs try to sign him at this point.

Andy Thomas has to be the man now on the blueline. Chris Butler will be relied upon heavily to produce offense as a sophomore defender. It will be an interesting transition come this fall.

Last edited by Jori; 03-19-2006 at 04:07 PM..
Old 03-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #1434
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Thanks for everything Matt, best of luck in San Jose!
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:32 PM   #1435
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Not a good start for Budaj in an important game for the Avs. The Sharks are starting to dominate, too.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #1436
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Tanger out with knee injury...
Old 03-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #1437
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

5-5 Liles ties it up...or perhaps Laaksonen(sp?)
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:28 PM   #1438
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Huge trip on Mclean no call and the sharks go up 6-5...(1.5 PP for us ALLLLLLL night)?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #1439
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Fleury impressive in a 1-0 loss to Toronto. Only thing he gave up was a Chad Kilger penalty shot in the third period.

Big delay due to a power outage. The fans apparently started chanting "new arena...new arena".

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #1440
Jori
US Olympian

Two sub-par games by Budaj. Again, this was my biggest concern regarding the trade; trusting a playoff run to two rookies. If Budaj was average the Avs skate out with two points.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #1441
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
Two sub-par games by Budaj. Again, this was my biggest concern regarding the trade; trusting a playoff run to two rookies. If Budaj was average the Avs skate out with two points.
Yep budaj didn't help but d@mn! work that hard to tie it up and they score after a huge trip on Mclean.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #1442
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Cant wait for the Kings to tear up the joint tommorow. I hope Budaj starts(smells fresh meat).
Old 03-19-2006, 08:52 PM   #1443
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

kolesnik should be starting tomorow
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:23 PM   #1444
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Funny?

http://www.ottawasun.ca/Sports/Senat...80799-sun.html

ATLANTA -- Funny guy, that Bryan Murray.

As the 3 p.m. trade deadline rolled around yesterday, the Senators coach left the ice to take a cellphone call.

It was noticed by everybody, of course, including the players who have been on eggshells for the last week or so.

Murray returned to the ice and skated right over to forward Antoine Vermette, who was seated on the bench, and everyone immediately assumed Vermette had been dealt.

"I told him I had bad news," said Murray. Vermette's shoulders slouched as Murray spoke to him.

"I told him, 'you have to stay here (with the Senators).' "

Laughs all around, except for Vermette.

"I knew he wasn't going to ask me if I had a good dinner last night," said Vermette as Murray approached. "I didn't find it funny at that point. I was hoping he was joking. I didn't want to get traded."

The Senators obtained centre Tyler Arnason from Chicago for minor-league prospect Brandon Bochenski and a second-round draft pick.

The players were glad none of their current teammates had to leave in the deal.

"I don't know much about Arnason, but I like the way (Senators GM John Muckler) kept the team together," said captain Daniel Alfredsson. "After the (Olympic) break, we're settling in to find out who's going to kill penalties, who's going to be on the power play. I like us sticking together and moving forward."

"Everyone is glad they kept the group here, first and foremost," said Senators winger Dany Heatley.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #1445
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey
Cant wait for the Kings to tear up the joint tommorow. I hope Budaj starts(smells fresh meat).

Sorry but we are not losing 3 in a row... kolesnik should get the nod.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:35 PM   #1446
Jori
US Olympian

Well tomorrow will be special in that both teams will be honoring Adam Deadmarsh before the game. Kudos to the Kings for letting the Avs participate in the festivities.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:36 PM   #1447
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
Well tomorrow will be special in that both teams will be honoring Adam Deadmarsh before the game. Kudos to the Kings for letting the Avs participate in the festivities.

Dead was our last power foward and we been missing one ever since we traded him.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:43 PM   #1448
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
Sorry but we are not losing 3 in a row... kolesnik should get the nod.
even better! I guess its pad your stats night tommorow for the Kings! ( actually its adam deadmarsh night)
Old 03-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #1449
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey
even better! I guess its pad your stats night tommorow for the Kings! ( actually its adam deadmarsh night)
Hey your not funny...
Old 03-19-2006, 09:58 PM   #1450
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
Hey your not funny...
this could be a playoff preview btw unless the rookie goalies blow it for you.