The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #1226
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Theodore interview.

-Was surprised by the trade because of his injury. Happy to be joining the Avalanche.

-Is walking without crutches and working out to come back from the injury. Doesn't know when he'll start skating, hoping it's within a week or so. Hopes to be back a couple of games before the playoffs but will have to listen to the doctors.

-Is used to the Roy comparisons because he's been hearing them since he got drafted by Montreal.

-Says he's had a tough year but his dedication and work ethic has never wavered.

-Loves coming to an organization that's (ahem) committed to winning it all every year. Is excited to be on a team with Sakic & Blake.

Pretty standard stuff. Sandy Clough needs to either cut to the chase when interviewing someone or they need to let someone else handle interviews. Jesus, he gets so long-winded in his questions that the people he interviews have to get annoyed wondering if they're ever going to get to jump in and answer.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #1227
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I just heard all the news.

Thank God I dont live in Colorado right now, because I would be liable to kill Pierre Larcoix. We need to can the guy, and get another with a better understaing for the cap.

I like Theodore, but would much rather have Aebischer.

So the Av's lost 2 of my favorite players for good... and the other guy gets a season-ending injury.

Great.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #1228
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Be realistic though- forsberg is/was a part time player - he is good, but in cap-anmics - it's tough to excise $5+mil for someone that plays 50 games.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #1229
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
Be realistic though- forsberg is/was a part time player - he is good, but in cap-anmics - it's tough to excise $5+mil for someone that plays 50 games.

I loved the guy but i agree with your thoughts about him.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #1230
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
Be that as it may, come playoff time he's huge. Forsberg's points per game is actually higher in the postseason than in the regular season. I think that's worth paying up for, Philly fans will find that out soon enough.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:57 PM   #1231
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf
I hear that there was a fight and some player took off another players helmet and punked him in the head with it.

Doese anyone know what players were involed, and where this happened?

It was Evgeny Artyukhin of the Bolts. He gave Antoine Vermette of the Sens a good whack with his own helmet. He got suspended for 2 games for his troubles.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #1232
Jori
US Olympian

After these last 24 hours, I need to get wasted. Who is with me?
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #1233
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori

Me! Pick me, pick me!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #1234
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Count me in.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #1235
Jori
US Olympian

I just realized how much I'm going to miss Aebischer's Fan Club. Loved it when those guys came to Denver every year.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:06 PM   #1236
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Geez, I don't know why I was so worried about losing Svatos for the year when we picked up Jim Dowd.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #1237
Jori
US Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn
Geez, I don't know why I was so worried about losing Svatos for the year when we picked up Jim Dowd.
That's the MIGHTY Jim Dowd to you
Old 03-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #1238
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I knew I forgot something.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:13 PM   #1239
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Hey Kings fan ( can't remember the name ), how's Luongo workin out for you?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #1240
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Be that as it may, come playoff time he's huge. Forsberg's points per game is actually higher in the postseason than in the regular season. I think that's worth paying up for, Philly fans will find that out soon enough.

Doesn't matter, philly won't win the cup
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #1241
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
That's the MIGHTY Jim Dowd to you

That just rolls right off the tounge.........the MIGHTY Jim Dowd
Old 03-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #1242
Jori
US Olympian

Quote:
I knew I forgot something.
Shouldn't that be Lacroix instead of Breezy
Old 03-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #1243
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Shouldn't that be Lacroix instead of Breezy

Shouldn't what be? I think I missed something.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #1244
orange 4 life
Old School Orange

Home team qb homer

Quote:
well, since next month will be 7 years without drinking i think ill have to pass...

....though its times like this that make me want to crack a few (dozen) cold ones!!

have one for me.
orange 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #1245
Jori
US Olympian

Quote:
Shouldn't what be? I think I missed something.
Your avatar
Old 03-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #1246
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:

Already ahead of you...
Old 03-09-2006, 07:02 PM   #1247
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange 4 life
just jumping in here to say how pissed i am right now.

ill always stick with my avs, but im just disgusted right now.

the problem wasnt aebischer, the problem was (and is) the coach.

quenville is simply a goalie hater. he did this crap in st louis, and now he's doing it here.
he never gets behind one guy, and as a result his teams suffer.

aeby is younger, he's been playing fantastic, and his team was behind him.

this is just an awful move, and it was spurned by the fact that our turd of a coach has a long and storied track record of messing with his netminders.
trading one of the backup goalies (who someone wouldve wanted) for a defenseman (or even power forward) was a move i couldve got behind, but trading your #1 goalie for another goalie who wont even play for a month (while youre in a battle for the division and your playoff seed) is just lunacy.
add to it that coach q wont be happy with jose either and it REALLY stinks.

bottom line is that q ran aeby out of town, and he even got some of the media and fans to support his whacked out thinking.

the move we needed to make was to ship our COACH out of town.
just my .02

jake
I’m going to have to disagree with you on the Blues’ goaltender problems during the Quenneville-era, orange4life. The fact is that St. Louis general manager Larry Pleau never brought in any real goaltending talent to work with after Grant Fuhr finally wore out (due to age and Mike Keenan working him like a mule in 1995-’96). Quenneville stood behind his goalies, they just weren't any good. Guys like Turek and Johnson were propped up by playing behind the Pronger/MacInnis-led defenses all those years. It's not like St. Louis had a Miikka Kiprusoff or Henrik Lundqvist in their organization waiting to break out.

96-97 Grant Fuhr, Jon Casey
97-98 Grant Fuhr, Jon Casey
98-99 Grant Fuhr, Jon Casey, Rich Parent, Brent Johnson, Jim Carrey
99-00 Roman Turek, Jaime McLennan
00-01 Roman Turek, Brent Johnson
01-02 Brent Johnson, Fred Brathwaite
02-03 Brent Johnson, Fred Brathwaite, Chris Osgood, Curtis Sanford, Tom Barrasso, Reinhard Divis, Cody Rudowski
03-04 Chris Osgood, Reinhard Divis, Brent Johnson

Eddie Belfour’s backup in Dallas, Roman Turek, was supposed to be the next big thing when the Blues brought him in for the 1999-’00 season. Turek played well behind the Blues’ great defense, until the playoffs, that is. He fizzled out with the Blues and has proven he’s nothing more than a backup NHL goaltender with the Flames.

The next answer was Brent Johnson who, like Turek before him, has been nothing but an NHL backup with Phoenix and Washington.

In 2002-’03 the Blues had more goaltender injuries than I can ever remember one team suffering.

Chris Osgood flamed out with the Islanders and obviously wasn’t going to lead the Blues anywhere when they picked him up in 2003. He's another former-St. Louis starter that's now an NHL backup.

Is Jose Theodore Quenneville’s long sought after goalie? We’ll see, but Pierre Lacroix was the real driving force behind this move (though Joel wasn‘t going to protest since he was never and Aebischer fan). When Lacroix sets his mind to getting a player he’ll do anything to get him, as Chris Gratton showed us in 2004.

Aside from the high salary cap number Theodore has in the next two seasons I can’t find fault with this deal (ok, and the fact that we have to wait to see Jose in an Avs sweater). Buy low, sell high, that’s what Lacroix did. I think Peter Budaj and David Aebischer are equal -- it’s not like we’re thowing Phillipe Sauve or Hardy Astrom out there to keep us in the playoffs.

Out of all the shock and horror of the last 24 hours the worst thing to happen to this club is Marek Svatos’ season ending injury. I would have liked to upgrade with more than Jim Dowd today, but I can live with us not giving up any of the forward prospects that have finally started to populate the organization again.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #1248
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
I’m going to have to disagree with you on the Blues’ goaltender problems during the Quenneville-era, orange4life. The fact is that St. Louis general manager Larry Pleau never brought in any real goaltending talent to work with after Grant Fuhr finally wore out (due to age and Mike Keenan working him like a mule in 1995-’96). Quenneville stood behind his goalies, they just weren't any good. Guys like Turek and Johnson were propped up by playing behind the Pronger/MacInnis-led defenses all those years. It's not like St. Louis had a Miikka Kiprusoff or Henrik Lundqvist in their organization waiting to break out.

02-03 Brent Johnson, Fred Brathwaite, Chris Osgood, Curtis Sanford, Tom Barrasso, Reinhard Divis, Cody Rudowski

Eddie Belfour’s backup in Dallas, Roman Turek, was supposed to be the next big thing when the Blues brought him in for the 1999-’00 season. Turek played well behind the Blues’ great defense, until the playoffs, that is. He fizzled out with the Blues and has proven he’s nothing more than a backup NHL goaltender with the Flames.

The next answer was Brent Johnson who, like Turek before him, has been nothing but an NHL backup with Phoenix and Washington.

In 2002-’03 the Blues had more goaltender injuries than I can ever remember one team suffering.

Chris Osgood flamed out with the Islanders and obviously wasn’t going to lead the Blues anywhere when they picked him up in 2003. He's another former-St. Louis starter that's now an NHL backup.

Is Jose Theodore Quenneville’s long sought after goalie? We’ll see, but Pierre Lacroix was the real driving force behind this move (though Joel wasn‘t going to protest since he was never and Aebischer fan). When Lacroix sets his mind to getting a player he’ll do anything to get him, as Chris Gratton showed us in 2004.

Aside from the high salary cap number Theodore has in the next two seasons I can’t find fault with this deal (ok, and the fact that we have to wait to see Jose in an Avs sweater). Buy low, sell high, that’s what Lacroix did. I think Peter Budaj and David Aebischer are equal -- it’s not like we’re thowing Phillipe Sauve or Hardy Astrom out there to keep us in the playoffs.

Out of all the shock and horror of the last 24 hours the worst thing to happen to this club is Marek Svatos’ season ending injury. I would have liked to upgrade with more than Jim Dowd today, but I can live with us not giving up any of the forward prospects that have finally started to populate the organization again.
PL didn't go all out this FA and dip into the prospect pool Iam glad he didn't), so it kinda reinforces the thought he is looking at next year and not this one.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #1249
orange 4 life
Old School Orange

Home team qb homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc

svatos' injury is just a f***ing dagger man.
really upsetting, and making it really hard to stay optimistic about the remainder of this season.

as for coach q, do you not think perhaps he tears down a goalies confidence?

i watched turek, and i ALSO thought turek was going to be hot ****.
i also remember watching the blues shuffle him in and out of net, which didnt quite make sense to me.
and with the playoffs, how bad was he?
and how many chances did he get?
and did his COACH kill his confidence?

all i know is that quennville has a long track record of goalies flaming out and/or not having good relationships with his net minders, and that of course is the most important position on the ice.
WHY was joel "not a fan of aeby"?

frankly, i think the avs would be doing alot better right now if aeby had been the #1 all along without q's unnecessary goalie shuffle earlier in the year, and though we all know lacroix pulls the strings, its q that created this whole situation in the 1st place.

bottom line is i just dont like the guy as a coach, and i think more and more colorado fans are starting to feel the same way.
orange 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #1250
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

MT, are you trying to be funny with that avitar? Or have you given up on the Moore thing?
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote