The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2005, 01:21 AM   #76
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn
I thought they had that one. The Canes are surprising this year.
Staal with 4 assists tonight. Unreal.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:16 AM   #77
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson
Been a fan of the Sens for 11 years.

And I don't like the Avs nor the West Conference, but it's a pleasure to watch Detroit play (you'll love me for this).

Isn't it funny when JR was talking **** about how the Phillies were going to beat the sens in the playoffs, yet we blew you away 2 straight years.

Okay. Well, who did you like before the Sens. No offense but I became a fan in the late 70's, early 80's. I was intrigued by the physical nature of the game. That's why I hate what I'm seeing. That's why I say the purest's (Boston, New York, Philly, Chicago) fan bases don't like what they see on the ice. We didn't grow up watching figure skaters. We grew up watching tough nosed, hard ass hockey players. Players like Phil Espisito, Billy Barber, A young Mark messier. Guys who could score with anyone and could throw their bodies with anyone.
I'm sick of seeing every god damn hard hit turn into a penalty.

Tred, I don't miss the neutral zone trap either. I love the absence of the 2 line pass. I also love that when there is icing, the players who were on the ice from the team guilty of icing, have to stay out for the next face off. I love alot of the new rules. In fact, i can't think of one new rule I dislike.
My gripe is with the officiating. Why can't we have the new rules AND keep the physical nature? I started to hate the NBA when it became a total offensive game. No defense is played whatsoever. Sadly, this is the direction that the NHL is going.

To clarify...... I like all the new rules. I'm b****ing about the officiating taking the physical and defensive part of the game out of the NHL.
That, in a nutshell is my beef!
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:05 AM   #78
Jori
US Olympian

I know some of the Canadian observers, *cough* Don Cherry *cough* have the same concerns about the physical play being taken out of the game. I feel the same, but not to a large extent. I thought this two game series between the Avs and Canucks was quite physical. The officials let the teams play, but did miss some interference calls (particularly in last night's game). Its going to be an adjustment.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:19 AM   #79
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
I know some of the Canadian observers, *cough* Don Cherry *cough* have the same concerns about the physical play being taken out of the game. I feel the same, but not to a large extent. I thought this two game series between the Avs and Canucks was quite physical. The officials let the teams play, but did miss some interference calls (particularly in last night's game). Its going to be an adjustment.

Here is my hope. For the past 4-5 season's, the refs opened the season calling a ton of penalties only to swallow the whistle as the first month or 2 went by. I'm hoping the same thing occurs this season.
The clutching and grabbing should be watched all season though. I beleive a player should be allowed to hook a bit in the open ice. It's sort of like a Defensive back being able to just put his hand on the opposing WR. The DB has no chance if he can't make even minimal contact.
Let the light stuff go. If the player pulls the stick while on the opponent, call the penalty. If the defensive player taps a player with his stick blade, let that go.
They are calling EVERYFOCKINGTHING! Let the players play. And, for gods sake, LET THE PLAYERS HIT!
Old 10-30-2005, 10:22 AM   #80
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
I think I saw more clean body checks in that game than I did in half a season the last time there was a season. The hip check used to belong to Rob Blake. Now suddenly Jovanowski is using it.

I'm with you, on the adjustment period. The physical nature of the game will return but within the rules. Probably similar to what Philly remembers. There were a couple of good, clean hits that rattled the boards last night, too.

I mean here we are 10-12 games into the season and what Superstar is sitting on the bench due to game injury? (Trust me Philly, there is one in particular....)

LET THEM SKATE!

LET THEM SKATE!
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:30 AM   #81
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
I think I saw more clean body checks in that game than I did in half a season the last time there was a season. The hip check used to belong to Rob Blake. Now suddenly Jovanowski is using it.

I'm with you, on the adjustment period. The physical nature of the game will return but within the rules. Probably similar to what Philly remembers. There were a couple of good, clean hits that rattled the boards last night, too.

I mean here we are 10-12 games into the season and what Superstar is sitting on the bench due to game injury? (Trust me Philly, there is one in particular....)

LET THEM SKATE!

LET THEM SKATE!

Jovo has always used the hip check. Improperly! He's a dirty player. Always goes for the opposing players knee. I watched that dude's career take off in Florida. he's a hard nosed hockey player who's style of play will be hurt with the way they are calling these games. he's a Hatcher type of player with just a smidge better offensively.

You guys can stop with the Forsberg stuff. Peter is a tough player. Myself personally, I'd rather take the old style of play and take my chances of Forsberg getting injured.
I've never cussed at the TV so much about a "style" of Hockey. I find myself watching what they are calling then the actual game.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #82
Tredici
Ring of Famer

You know what Philly? Go look at how many games Peter played each season for the last 5 or so. We know he's tough. We also know he is benefitting greatly (and by extension so are the Flyers) by the new style of play.

If you want the old NHL and guys like Peter constantly out of the game? Well, to each his own. But run the idea past guys like Gagne first.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:18 PM   #83
Boogerboots
Anytime now...

..just make the snow stop!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Larry Canada

Most hockey fans that I've talked to say they like what they see so far. And I'm not just talking about Sens fans either. Ottawa still has a fair contigent of Canadiens and Leafs fans and everybody likes the faster pace.

I was watching a pregame interview that was done with both the GM's for the Leafs and the Sens and John Muckler stated that the "New NHL" was like turning the clock back to the 80's. And I think that's the best way to put it.

During the lockout I watched a classic Stanley Cup game between the Flyers and the Oilers, I believe it was from 85, and Glen Anderson took the puck end to end and went around 3 Flyer players inside their own blue line and finished it off by deking Hextall. Not one guy grabbed him or hooked him in with a stick. After seeing that I thought, there was no way that could happen in today's 2004 brand of hockey.

But with these new rule changes, it can happen again. It's run and gun hockey. I do like to see the punishing hits and hope that the refs will get the scales worked out on calling such plays.

But overall, whether it's the opinions of the fans, or the players, or even the coaching staffs, the overwhelming majority agree that hockey is much better now than it was in 03-04. It's fun to watch again.
Boogerboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:59 PM   #84
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Some news and notes.

Matt Cooke out indefinitely with a broken jaw he received during practice.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=141650&hubname=nhl

Leetch injured - knee injury.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=141671&hubname=nhl

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Los Angeles Kings forward Luc Robitaille might miss two to four weeks with a fracture in his right leg.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=141630&hubname=nhl

Legace dinged. (

Detroit was without defenceman Mathieu Schneider, a last-minute scratch due to a sore groin, and then Legace left the game with a slight knee sprain with 3:23 remaining in the first period after Chicago's Matthew Barnaby fell on him. Legace, who made eight saves, was expected to undergo precautionary X-rays on Wednesday.)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=141655&hubname=nhl

I guess it was more of an injury report.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:28 PM   #85
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Some news and notes.

Matt Cooke out indefinitely with a broken jaw he received during practice.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=141650&hubname=nhl

Leetch injured - knee injury.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=141671&hubname=nhl

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Los Angeles Kings forward Luc Robitaille might miss two to four weeks with a fracture in his right leg.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=141630&hubname=nhl

Legace dinged. (

Detroit was without defenceman Mathieu Schneider, a last-minute scratch due to a sore groin, and then Legace left the game with a slight knee sprain with 3:23 remaining in the first period after Chicago's Matthew Barnaby fell on him. Legace, who made eight saves, was expected to undergo precautionary X-rays on Wednesday.)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=141655&hubname=nhl

I guess it was more of an injury report.

Well i traded cooke a couple weeks ago and i sat on osgood while he was injured so cool it all worked out for my FHL.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #86
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Man, having a Canuck on your roster in FHL is like having a Raider on your roster in FFL.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:06 AM   #87
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Typical Barnaby...decided to just sit down on Manny's knee. No need for retribution, our power play is our goon...
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #88
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Man, having a Canuck on your roster in FHL is like having a Raider on your roster in FFL.

I got bertuzzi and H sedin......
Old 11-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #89
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I am a HUGE fan of matt barnaby -

and big hits will come- infact there will be a skill to doing open ice hits that will develop.....

But being a fan of the pens, i'm happy with the new NHL, they were always a run n' gun team -

I think jackman is on his way out
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:07 PM   #90
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
I got bertuzzi and H sedin......

That's just wrong.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #91
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
That's just wrong.
And bert is on the no cut list..... or i would trade him he isn't doing squat.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:38 PM   #92
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

That's your punishment for drafting him as an Avs fan.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:43 PM   #93
Jori
US Olympian

The Senators just smoked Buffalo 10-4. Both Havlat and Alfredsson each had four goals. Like I said before the season started, if Hasek (who didn't start tonight btw) can stay healthy they are the team to beat.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:15 PM   #94
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Good Lord! That's quite a few of their players now that have scored 4 goals in a game in the last week or so. Yikes.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #95
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

It's good to have Havlat back.

Hopefully, they can keep this up.
Al Wilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #96
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

A lot of people shopping for new hats in Ottawa today.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:37 PM   #97
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

How did they fair on Saturday night? I heard a lot of chit talking from on e Sens fan before that game.
He did his best Fade fan and ran with out congradulating my boys.

BTW, Next time you want to smack my Flyers, bring something up more recently then 3 years ago bro!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:14 PM   #98
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Congratulate the Flyers for what?

They were lucky the Sens were tired after hammering the Leafs 8-0.

We'll get you back as always
Al Wilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:23 PM   #99
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Jesus, Eric Staal with 2 goals, 1 assist tonight to run his league leading point total to 25 (11 goals, 14 assists).

And he just turned 21 last week. Unbelievable.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:16 AM   #100
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Parity is here, fellas...
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote