The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #601
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Sorry but this cracked me up..
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #602
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

http://ciforums.cjb.net/index.php?act=idx

if you know how to work bit torrent that website is a gold mine ... registration required
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #603
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Sauve waived

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey...12155-sun.html

CHICAGO -- Calgary Flames backup goaltender Philippe Sauve, who avoided a suspension or a fine for his role in a late-game dust-up in Colorado Tuesday, has been placed on waivers.

Calgary GM/head coach Darryl Sutter wouldn't confirm or deny the transaction and didn't answer when asked yesterday at the team's hotel whether it was true one of his players was indeed on waivers.

The move could mean one of a few scenarios.

One could be to make room for another netminder to be brought in by trade. There are several goaltenders believed to be on the market, ranging from Florida's Roberto Luongo and Montreal's Jose Theodore to Buffalo's Mika Noronen and San Jose's Vesa Toskala.

Another could be so Sauve could be sent to the minors to receive more playing time, having played in only two games since Dec. 7.

Or else it could be the Flames are disappointed with his performance this season and are willing to expose him with the belief another goaltender could be found.

Through eight games this season, the rookie has posted a 3.28 goals-against average and .891 save percentage to go with a 3-3-0 record.

In his last start, Sauve surrendered seven goals on 27 shots in a 7-4 loss to Colorado and was ejected in the final minute after going the length of the ice to get into an altercation with Avalanche goalie David Aebischer.

Yesterday the word came down no supplemental discipline would be handed out from league v.p. and director of hockey operations Colin Campbell. Sutter was expecting that result.

"It's what I said after the game ... there was no fight," Sutter said.

"I agree with Kerry and Dennis (referees Fraser and LaRue), because they're veteran referees but what it shows is the goaltender's focus, or lack of focus, became a frustration point for him and that was his reaction.

"There wasn't a punch thrown. They could have given them two minutes for wiping mascara off, or something like that."

With 31.3 seconds left in the game, Sauve joined in a melee in front of the Colorado goal and tangled with Avs netminder David Aebischer.

Sauve was assessed minor penalties for leaving the crease and an instigating, major for fighting and game misconduct.

Under Rule 56a, any player instigating a fight in the final five minutes of a game or overtime is to receive a 10-minute misconduct and one-game suspension.

As well, the coach faces a $10,000 fine.

However, the league has not doled out the extra punishment in the past -- most notably when Phoenix captain Shane Doan was handed an instigator after an incident with Anaheim's Vitaly Vishnevski.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:41 PM   #604
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

after watching crosby last night - i'm glad the pens got him
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #605
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
after watching crosby last night - i'm glad the pens got him
Ya i watch the whole game and he was very impressive remember that goal where he soccer kicked the puck across the front of the net and filed it that was a pretty **** for sure.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #606
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I think they should scrap any system and just let the young kids play, and trade all the vets that they can to get something in return, even if it is for more kris beech's.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #607
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Edmonton was busy today...

Getting Dick Tarnstrom from the Pittsburgh Penguins and Jaroslav Spacek, Edmonton sent forward Jani Rita and defenceman Cory Cross to Pittsburgh while parting with prospect forward Tony Salmelainen in return for Spacek.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...26_155502_6064
Old 01-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #608
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

thanks man, tarnstrom's been on the list - to bad no one wants gonchar.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #609
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Whitney fined for spearing Ovechkin

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=152543&hubname=

Looks more like whitney tried to remove ovechkins peanuts..

http://hfhelper03.hockeyfights.com/c...ie_whitney.wmv
Old 01-27-2006, 03:40 PM   #610
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

yeah, the PITT spin is it wasn't a 'traditional' spear....

Either way, it was dirty

i saw it live and thought he deserved a 1game suspension just for warning.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:11 PM   #611
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Sutter a big bully

Darryl Sutter has dropped the ball on this one.

The Flames head coach/GM has unnecessarily backed himself into a corner by sparking a controversy his club could do without.

Exhibiting the same lack of composure that prompted goalie Phil Sauve to skate the length of the ice for a Colorado catfight Tuesday, Sutter has spent the week lambasting his beleaguered backup in the press.

Following the first truly shoddy performance of Sauve's otherwise average stint in Calgary, Sutter placed the 'keeper on waivers right after the 7-4 loss and has followed it up with incessant talk of Sauve being the team's weakest link, capable only of giving his team a "chance to lose" every night.

What, may we ask, is to gain from publicly scolding the kid?

It's one thing for a coach to lose faith in a player and make the necessary steps to have him replaced.

It's quite another to humiliate him, especially when the target is a young backup essentially making minimum wage.

Sutter's demand that a backup tabbed to play 15 games should win 10 of them is unrealistic given Sauve is a second-year NHLer making $500,000 on a one-year deal. Before the loss to the Avs, Sauve was 3-2 with a 2.62 GAA and .914 save percentage, which is respectable.

Sauve then stumbled, prompting Sutter to do the same.

While Sutter's routine use of the media to call out veterans such as Jarome Iginla and Andrew Ference is his way of lighting a fire under them, his chastising of Sauve could break the youngster who was equally ordinary in Colorado.

With Miikka Kiprusoff's backup slated to make four or five more starts at best, it's unlikely Sauve will get a chance to redeem himself anytime soon, unless it's in Omaha.

And that's the biggest problem Sutter has created for himself.

Now he has to make a move right away. Keeping Sauve up with the big club will cause nothing but distractions as he sits on the pine and isn't able to improve or prove his worth. Sending him down and bringing up raw rookies Brent Krahn or Curtis McElhinney won't give Sutter any more confidence in the backup. So he has to make a trade, wasting valuable cap money on a bit-playing goalie instead of putting it towards getting help down the middle in the form of, say, the fans' dream acquisition, Doug Weight.

Had Sutter voiced his displeasure with Sauve privately, he could have gone about solving the issue quietly. Instead, the goalie has now been alienated (not to mention terrified his NHL career could be over) and every GM in the league knows Sutter is itching to grab a goaltender. Hardly dealing from a position of strength or addressing the team's real needs.

As phenomenal a job as Sutter has done since he got here three years ago, he exposed himself as another Calgary coaching icon, Wally Buono, occasionally did -- as a man respected for his coaching abilities but not exactly the players' Pal of the Year.

Being professionals, not to mention friends with Sauve, very few players will be happy with Sutter's recent tact. It shouldn't have been a big deal. Unquestionably humiliated by his own and his team's showing in Colorado, Sauve's silly slap-fest with David Aebischer clearly rubbed Sutter the wrong way, eliciting an over-the-top response in which he also questioned the player's work ethic and preparation.

As irrational and unwarranted as his attack on Sauve has been, perhaps Sutter will be able to use the goalie in yet another trade demonstrating the Midas touch he's had ever since he got here.

At this point, he'll have to.

Or the mid-season blowout could blow up into something that dogs this club all season long.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #612
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Bougner actually scores.... wow
Swedish Extrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #613
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf
Bougner actually scores.... wow
it was brunette who patted his shot down ...

avs should´ve got more out of the second period ...
Old 01-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #614
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Lappy vs kesler

http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...E3FS50ZSF6XR5L
Old 01-29-2006, 11:45 AM   #615
Swedish Extrovert

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

How come whenever the Av's get close, they fail?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:46 AM   #616
Swedish Extrovert

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
I love Lappy. That was awesome.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:49 AM   #617
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:
wonder if lappy fought him for the hit or because kesler injured liles ...
Old 01-29-2006, 12:16 PM   #618
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens
wonder if lappy fought him for the hit or because kesler injured liles ...
Lappy got him for the elbows he was throwing on him.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #619
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:

Sorry but this cracked me up..
Foresberg should be included there with Injured E
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:22 AM   #620
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson
Foresberg should be included there with Injured E
Who's Foresberg?
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #621
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Weight traded to carolina

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...30_124322_3104

I believe I now have as good a chance as any to win a Stanley Cup and there was no way I was going to pass this up."

Sportsnet.ca -- The St. Louis Blues continue to clean house.

Sportsnet has learned the Blues have dealt highly-coveted centre Doug Weight to the Carolina Hurricanes.

Weight told Sportsnet he learned of the proposal Sunday night and agreed to waive his no-trade clause on Monday morning.

"I'm very excited to be going to such a great team," Weight said. "I believe I now have as good a chance as any to win a Stanley Cup and there was no way I was going to pass this up."

A source close to the Hurricanes would not confirm who Carolina had to give up in the trade, other than to say a "depth-type roster player, but the Hurricanes did not jeopardize the future to make this deal".

Weight, who served as an assistant captain with the team, was also the Blues' leading scorer with 11 goals and 33 assists.

The move comes a day after St. Louis sent the Blues' second-leading scorer Mike Sillinger to Nashville for Timofei Shishkanov.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #622
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

In exchange for Weight and left wing Erkki Rajamaki, the Hurricanes have traded their first round draft pick in 2006, Toronto's fourth-round pick in 2006, Chicago's fourth-round pick in 2007, right wing Jesse Boulerice, center Mike Zigomanis and rights to unsigned draft pick Magnus Kahnberg to the Blues. Carolina acquired the fourth-round pick from Toronto in the draft-day deal that sent Jeff O'Neill to the Maple Leafs, and acquired Chicago's 2007 fourth-round pick in the Dec. 29 trade that sent Radim Vrbata to the Blackhawks.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #623
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

I like the move by Carolina. They gave up picks & prospects for an aging vet, but I like to see a team not satisfied with just overachieving. They're showing their fans that they're committed to making a serious Cup run this year.

Weight & Sillinger are gone, Tkachuk can't be far behind. He's got a team option on his deal for next year, so any team that takes a chance on him can just decline his option and let him walk this summer if they decide they don't want him.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:15 PM   #624
Jori
US Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
I like the move by Carolina. They gave up picks & prospects for an aging vet, but I like to see a team not satisfied with just overachieving. They're showing their fans that they're committed to making a serious Cup run this year.

Weight & Sillinger are gone, Tkachuk can't be far behind. He's got a team option on his deal for next year, so any team that takes a chance on him can just decline his option and let him walk this summer if they decide they don't want him.
Rumor has it that Dallas Drake is the next one out the door.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:21 PM   #625
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
Rumor has it that Dallas Drake is the next one out the door.
Not surprising at all. Any older player they can nab a draft pick or prospect for will likely be dealt.

They've obviously decided that the Phil Kessel sweepstakes are more important than a few extra wins this season. From what I've seen of them, that's not a bad plan.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote