The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #551
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Great to get a W after choking away the last 3 minutes of regulation. That's why Forsberg is the best player in the NHL. We kept him in check for 57 minutes and then Skrastins takes a questionable penalty; Bam, Forsberg gets two huge points.

Marek Svatos absolutely schooled Johnsson (I think it was Johnsson) in OT. What moves this guy has. Nittymaki made a great save when Svatos tried to go five hole for the winner.

7 in a row; January is definitely Colorado's month. This is starting to feel like the 12-game winning streak the Avs ran off in January of 1999.

Toronto comes to Denver for the first time in almost a decade Tuesday night.

Phillybroncosnut, who's on Nittymaki's goalie mask with the gun? I like his mask.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:13 PM   #552
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
Great to get a W after choking away the last 3 minutes of regulation. That's why Forsberg is the best player in the NHL. We kept him in check for 57 minutes and then Skrastins takes a questionable penalty; Bam, Forsberg gets two huge points.

Marek Svatos absolutely schooled Johnsson (I think it was Johnsson) in OT. What moves this guy has. Nittymaki made a great save when Svatos tried to go five hole for the winner.

7 in a row; January is definitely Colorado's month. This is starting to feel like the 12-game winning streak the Avs ran off in January of 1999.

Toronto comes to Denver for the first time in almost a decade Tuesday night.

Phillybroncosnut, who's on Nittymaki's goalie mask with the gun? I like his mask.
Svatos schooled Freddy Meyer. Meyer is a rookie and really not ready for the NHl. he has been back there and has done a decent job since his call up.
Meyer was called up when Joni Pitkanen and Eric Desjardins got injured 2 months ago. I like Meyer's potential, but, like I said, he's just not "NHL" ready yet. We serverely miss Desjardins and Pitkanen (and primeau) on both the Power Play and penalty kill.
The only player we have that possesses a good shot from the point on the Power play right now is Johnsonn.

I am not 100% sure, But I think Nitty has Al Capone on his helmet. I try to dig something up on who is on his helmet though.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:51 PM   #553
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I trusted my husband to set the VCR and record the game for me today, while I was skiing. Silly me. He set it for PM instead of AM, so I didn't get to see ****. I saw the final score and that was it. Guess that was the best part.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #554
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Goal #31 and assist #26, but I think that goal is going to get credited to Zubrus. Weird goal with a 'Yotes defender knocking the puck towards the center and it hit off of another 'Yote to go in. Thought Zubrus was the last Cap with control and that's who the broadcast credited it to, but NHL.com and ESPN have AO with the goal. 5-1 Caps with 6 minutes left in the 2nd in Phoenix, this shouldn't be happening.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #555
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

#32 and it was absolutely sick, down on the ice and he slides it by Boucher

Link to the goal page:
http://www.rh71.com/projects/ovechkin/

Last edited by Hercules Rockefeller; 01-16-2006 at 06:18 PM..
Old 01-17-2006, 01:09 PM   #556
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
#32 and it was absolutely sick, down on the ice and he slides it by Boucher

Link to the goal page:
http://www.rh71.com/projects/ovechkin/

That was off the page. The kid is just putting on a show this year.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #557
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

That was incredible. It's definitely getting lots of airplay on ESPN.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:03 AM   #558
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Updated: Jan. 18, 2006, 10:41 AM ET
Penguins right wing Palffy retires

BRATISLAVA, Slovakia -- Pittsburgh Penguins right wing Ziggy Palffy retired Wednesday due to personal reasons, the team announced. A slovak newspaper reported that he quit because of a lingering shoulder injury.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #559
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Holy crap! That came out of nowhere.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #560
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

ya
Old 01-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #561
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Are the Pens still on the hook for his salary? Not quite sure how that works in the new NHL.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #562
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I don't think so, and that would be great!
Old 01-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #563
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Wow.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:22 PM   #564
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

now only if gonchar would retire....
Old 01-18-2006, 09:33 PM   #565
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

You can breathe easy now, Herc. Actually, I dont think there was any viable scenario where he was going back, but at least its good that you wont have to pay them anything.

Court: Ovechkin won't be forced to return to Russia
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Two days after scoring the highlight goal of the NHL season, Washington Capitals rookie Alex Ovechkin learned that he will stay in the league.

Ovechkin

A judge ruled Wednesday that he cannot be forced to return to Russia to play for his former team, Dynamo Moscow.

Ovechkin leads all rookies with 32 goals and 58 points and will play for the Russian national team at the Torino Olympics. On Monday night, he scored with an outstretched flick of his stick while rolling on the ice after a hard check by defenseman Paul Mara in a win at Phoenix.

Dynamo wanted the court to enforce a Russian arbitrator's ruling that the team still owns the rights to the 20-year-old left wing.

Ovechkin played three years for Dynamo before moving to another Russian club, Avangard Omsk. He then opted out of his 2005-06 contract with Avangard Omsk to join the Capitals.

Dynamo contended it had matched Avangard Omsk's offer to Ovechkin, although without the opt-out clause.

U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan dismissed the case. He said the evidence "supports the argument that Ovechkin wished to end his relationship with Dynamo once and for all."
Old 01-19-2006, 09:22 AM   #566
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Well look who's in first place in the Northwest Division! Way to go Avvies, back where you belong. See you Saturday.

Sincerely,

The Wings
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #567
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27
Well look who's in first place in the Northwest Division! Way to go Avvies, back where you belong. See you Saturday.

Sincerely,

The Wings

Bring it!
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #568
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27

Sincerely,

The Wings
Bout time you gave us some kudos. I know you'll be there on Sat. Hope you don't get treated too badly.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #569
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Crosby with a goal and an assist. Early third period, 2-2 against NYR.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:02 PM   #570
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Yzerman rips NHL's new rules

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2229790

Stevie Y is wondering why the NHL had to mess with a good thing.

In an interview with the Detroit Free Press, Steve Yzerman spoke out about the new NHL -- and so far, he's not a fan.

"Everybody keeps saying this is great. It's not great," Yzerman told the Free Press. "It's not hockey."

In particular, Yzerman believes referees should use better judgment when calling penalties.

Yzerman made his opinion known after the Red Wings' overtime loss to the Oilers on Thursday. Although the Red Wings are 15-4-2 under the NHL's new rules, they're winless in their past three games.

A Mathieu Schneider holding penalty in the second period of Thursday night's loss irked Yzerman in particular.

"There are penalties all over," he told the newspaper. "I'll just use Mathieu Schneider's penalty as an example. He steps up and takes his guy out, and his stick gets caught and the crowd cheers so the referee puts his hand up. There has to be some discretion. The referees have to use some judgment on what is a penalty and what is not. They've taken judgment out of it and I think it's somewhat made it easy on the referees just to call anything, because there is no judgment.

"Good referees used to have good judgment. Now they've taken that out of the game. I'm not saying I'm blaming the referees for it, I just feel the whole thing has to be adjusted and they have to look at this seriously. They can't continue to call irrelevant things that have no business being called."

Yzerman, in his 22nd NHL season, has two goals and four assists for the Red Wings in 2005.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:05 PM   #571
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Ovy with an average night. Highlight reel goal in the first, assist in the 3rd, and a goal in the shootout. Up to 60 points now and only 1 goal off of Ilya for the league lead.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #572
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Byran berard tests positive for steroids,http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=151485&hubname=nhl

Last edited by Bronx33; 01-19-2006 at 09:26 PM..
Old 01-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #573
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
Ovy with an average night. Highlight reel goal in the first, assist in the 3rd, and a goal in the shootout. Up to 60 points now and only 1 goal off of Ilya for the league lead.

Typical rookie stuff.......pffttt.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:07 AM   #574
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
Byran berard tests positive for steroids,http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=151485&hubname=nhl

Whoa. I wonder if steroid use really is a problem in the NHL? Honestly, I've never given it much thought.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:09 AM   #575
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2229790

Stevie Y is wondering why the NHL had to mess with a good thing.

In an interview with the Detroit Free Press, Steve Yzerman spoke out about the new NHL -- and so far, he's not a fan.

"Everybody keeps saying this is great. It's not great," Yzerman told the Free Press. "It's not hockey."

In particular, Yzerman believes referees should use better judgment when calling penalties.

Yzerman made his opinion known after the Red Wings' overtime loss to the Oilers on Thursday. Although the Red Wings are 15-4-2 under the NHL's new rules, they're winless in their past three games.

A Mathieu Schneider holding penalty in the second period of Thursday night's loss irked Yzerman in particular.

"There are penalties all over," he told the newspaper. "I'll just use Mathieu Schneider's penalty as an example. He steps up and takes his guy out, and his stick gets caught and the crowd cheers so the referee puts his hand up. There has to be some discretion. The referees have to use some judgment on what is a penalty and what is not. They've taken judgment out of it and I think it's somewhat made it easy on the referees just to call anything, because there is no judgment.

"Good referees used to have good judgment. Now they've taken that out of the game. I'm not saying I'm blaming the referees for it, I just feel the whole thing has to be adjusted and they have to look at this seriously. They can't continue to call irrelevant things that have no business being called."

Yzerman, in his 22nd NHL season, has two goals and four assists for the Red Wings in 2005.
That's why Stevie isn't liking the new rules too much.