The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #5101
Jori
US Olympian

Didn't you know that Phoenix was actually in Manitoba?
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #5102
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
Didn't you know that Phoenix was actually in Manitoba?
I guess it would be too far of a commute from Canada for JR to get down to California so that he could guest host The Worst Damn Sports Show anyway.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #5103
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
The Canchokes have rid themselves of Burke, Crawford, Bertuzzi, May and now Ruutu.

I still hate them.
haha...Ruutu is hilarious.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #5104
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco
haha...Ruutu is hilarious.
He's a dirty little prick. I hope he gets taken off the ice with his head taped to a stretcher some day.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #5105
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Roenick is headed back to Phoenix.

So much for playing in Canada, eh Hollywood?
Screw that a-hole....
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #5106
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
He's a dirty little prick. I hope he gets taken off the ice with his head taped to a stretcher some day.
Well yea...every team has a pest though.

Haven't you seen that clip where Dion Phaneuf drops the gloves and Ruutu just trips him and then skates off? That was hilarious...
Old 07-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #5107
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:

Haven't you seen that clip where Dion Phaneuf drops the gloves and Ruutu just trips him and then skates off? That was hilarious...
I thought Dion fell over his own stick? that was hilarious.

here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc2p8...n%20Phaneuf%20
Old 07-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #5108
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:

Yes, but I've also seen too many instances of Ruutu throwing knee on knee hits, hitting people from behind, spearing and plenty of other dangerous acts. There's a fine line between being a pest and being dirty. Ruutu crossed that line a long time ago and ventured into Ulf Samuelsson/Claude Lemieux territory.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #5109
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Yes, but I've also seen too many instances of Ruutu throwing knee on knee hits, hitting people from behind, spearing and plenty of other dangerous acts. There's a fine line between being a pest and being dirty. Ruutu crossed that line a long time ago and ventured into Ulf Samuelsson/Claude Lemieux territory.
Yea...I know. He's a funny douchebag then...
Old 07-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #5110
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Avalanche 2006 draft review

Written by Courtney Wagner on 07/04/2006

The Colorado Avalanche were in need of power and offense up front as well as solid blue line prospects. They fulfilled these needs with six picks in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. The Avs selected two Canadian players and four from the U.S., three of whom are U.S. national team development program prospects. Their selections included three forwards, two defensemen and one goaltender.
Chris Stewart, RW

1st Round, (18th overall), 6'1 228 lbs., Kingston (OHL)

A power forward was high on the list of needs for the Colorado Avalanche and they fulfilled that need by selecting Kingston Frontenac Chris Stewart. A Toronto native, Stewart is the younger brother to Florida Panthers prospect and World Junior gold medalist for Canada in 2005, Anthony Stewart.

The younger Stewart has come a long way in the last few years. After playing in his older brother's shadow for years, Chris quit hockey in 2003-04 to play football. But he couldn't stay away from hockey and returned to the game the following year as a walk-on with Kingston, something his brother Anthony helped him with.

"My brother got me a tryout in Kingston and everything worked out for the best," he said at the draft. "If he can get me a tryout he must have somewhat a confidence in me because he didn't want to embarrass himself. He had the confidence in me and he is my mentor and he is my best friend in life -- so I just have to thank him for that."

Labeled mediocre by some, Chris proved he was anything but. In his first season with the Frontenacs, he put up respectable numbers with 18 goals and 30 points in 64 games. He said his role on the team gradually became more important.

"I started off as a fourth-line energy guy and as I started to slim down, I lost about 10, 15 pounds, I started getting more confidence and more ice time and I started to produce."

In 2005-06, his offense improved and so did his draft stock. He was second on the team in scoring, goals, assists and penalty minutes. In 62 contests he had 37 goals, 50 assists, 87 points and 118 penalty minutes. No longer just Anthony Stewart's brother, Chris had made a name for himself. Touted for a great work ethic, good hands and size, and the willingness to play physical, Chris came into his own in 2005-06. His hard work did not go unnoticed, he was named an OHL Eastern Conference All-Star and named to Team Cherry for the 2006 CHL/NHL Top Prospects game. Being drafted in the first-round was just the icing on the cake for Chris. "I can't even explain how I feel right now. I just feel amazing and excited for camp to come in September," he says.

Another thing Chris is looking forward to is getting the shot to play alongside veteran Joe Sakic. “Oh man, it would be amazing (laughs). He is one of my idols and a Canadian idol growing up and stuff like that. He has the best shot I have ever seen, so it would be great to play with him.”

Unlike his brother, Chris had more to prove and worked hard to get drafted in the first round. This drive and display of character got him this far and should propel him to greater heights in the next few years, but he knows there is still a lot of work to be done. "You have to give yourself a pat on the back, but you just have to know how hard you have to work from now on to get in the lineup, so it's all just a stepping stone."

Nigel Williams, D

2nd Round, (51st overall), 6'4 226 lbs., (USNTDP)

Possibly one of the biggest surprises at the draft was that Nigel Williams was still available when Colorado chose him 51st overall in the second round. The defenseman, who has committed to play for the University of Wisconsin in 2006-07, was a projected first-round pick by many. His stock may have dropped due to the lack of certainty in his development as a player.

But Williams isn't concerned with how high he was selected.

“I’m not really worried about where I get drafted," he said that day. "This next couple of years I am going to prove myself, this has nothing to do with how somebody’s going to do in the NHL or anything like that. If anything, it’s driving me right now, it’s going to drive me to be a better player. When I'm in the weight room gritting my teeth I’m going to know why. First round, screw that, I am going to grit down harder, I’m going to get an extra squat in there. So I think, if anything, it’s helping me.”

Williams has good size and work ethic and possesses strong puckhandling and skating skills. If he develops into a strong two-way defenseman, the Avalanche may have gotten away with a steal. In 2004-05, Williams played for Team Illinois in the Midwest Elite Hockey League where he had 14 goals and 32 points in 60 games. In 2005-06 he played with the U.S. under-18 team and notched six goals, 15 points and 59 penalty minutes in 56 games.

Williams plans on continuing to work hard in order to reach greater heights in hockey. “I’m just going to try to get all-around better. I am going to hit the weights a lot harder; I’m just going to pretty much work as hard as I can, at everything that I can, just to be the best that I can,” he says.

With the departure of veteran blueliner Rob Blake to the Los Angeles Kings, Colorado will benefit from a prospect who can play strong in both ends and Williams could be a strong defender for the Avs in years to come, something he is excited about. "I love everything that has to do with the Avalanche, I’ve watched them since I was little ... I’m just glad to be with Colorado.”

Codey Burki, C

2nd Round, (59th overall), 6'0 190 lbs., Brandon (WHL)

Colorado picked up a second-round pick in the trade that saw Alex Tanguay go to the Calgary Flames for Jordan Leopold. With that selection the Avs picked up Codey Burki out of Brandon in the WHL.

In 2004-05 Burki played alongside solid NHL prospects and three of the top four point-getters in the WHL that season: Eric Fehr (Washington), Ryan Stone (Pittsburgh) and Tim Konsorada (Columbus). Burki became a leader for the Wheat Kings in 2005-06 with these guys gone and he excelled. He led the team in scoring and posted WHL career highs in games played (70), goals (27), assists (34), points (61), and penalty minutes (69).

His progress did not go unnoticed. His strong play garnered him an invite to the 2006 CHL/NHL Top Prospects game and he did not disappoint. He scored the game-winner for Team Orr in a 7-2 win and was named player-of-the-game for his efforts.

Burki has good skills and size, but has lacked consistency. His future is promising for the Avs and he could be a strong offensive player for the team in the future, something that will be required once Joe Sakic hangs up the skates.

Michael Carman, C

3rd Round, (81st overall), 6'0 180 lbs., (USNTDP)

Headed to the University of Minnesota this fall, Michael Carman has played the last two seasons in the U.S. national team development program.

In 2005-06 Carman finished third on the team in points with 54 in 60 games including 21 goals and a team-high 102 penalty minutes. He also netted 11 power-play markers. Carman has good hockey sense and will battle aggressively for the puck. A dependable, hard working player, he is strong in both ends and can be used in all game situations.

A reliable player who has made good progression in his hockey career thus far, Carman will continue his development in the NCAA this fall and could be a solid member of the Avalanche in a few years.

Kevin Montgomery, D

4th Round, (110th overall), 6'1 185 lbs., (USNTDP)

In the fourth round, the Avalanche selected Kevin Montgomery with a pick they received from the Edmonton Oilers. A defenseman who has played with the U.S. national team development program for the last two years, Montgomery is headed to Ohio State this fall to play for the Buckeyes. In 2005-06 with the U.S. team, he had six goals, 22 points and 76 penalty minutes in 59 games.

Solid and quick on his skates, Montgomery has strong, accurate passing skills. He makes smart decisions with the puck and is utilized on the power play. A defensive defenseman, he plays a safe game and is not afraid to step in and hit an opposing player. He will continue his development in the NCAA this fall.

Billy Sauer, G

7th Round, (201st overall), 6'2 170 lbs., University of Michigan (NCAA)

The Avalanche traded their fifth- and sixth-round picks and used the seventh-round and last selection to take goaltender Billy Sauer from the University of Michigan.

After playing with the Chicago Steel of the USHL in 2004-05, where he had 12 wins, a 3.05 goals-against average and a .904 save percentage, Sauer played his freshman collegiate season with the Wolverines. In 23 games with the team he had 11 wins, a 3.04 goals-against average, a .898 save percentage and one shutout.

Sauer has solid reflexes and a good glove hand. He has displayed strong athleticism and quickness and has shown a willingness to challenge shooters. He may be considered a steal by some, going in the seventh round, but has a lot of progression to make before he will have a shot at the next level.

Jeff Dahlia, Sean Ruck, Glen Erickson, DJ Powers and Leslie Treff contributed to this article. Copyright 2006 Hockey's Future. Do not reprint or otherwise duplicate without permission of the editorial staff.

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8929
Old 07-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #5111
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey
Good move by the Pens signing Ruutu, if anyone lays a finger on Crosby they are pretty much going to get the crap kicked out of them. I like the signing, reminds me why the oilers/kings got Marty Mcsorley.
In the new NHL it's fast skating and open ice designed for Crosby's game. The last thing a kid like Crosby needs is some throwback who becomes a deterrent to his game.

Not much the kid wonder will be doing on the Pen PK while Ruutu sits in the box.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #5112
Jori
US Olympian

Stars sign Barnaby; one year, 625k

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170519&hubname=nhl
Old 07-04-2006, 11:56 PM   #5113
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
In the new NHL it's fast skating and open ice designed for Crosby's game. The last thing a kid like Crosby needs is some throwback who becomes a deterrent to his game.

Not much the kid wonder will be doing on the Pen PK while Ruutu sits in the box.
Its still a contact sport tred. He will bring toughness to the Pens so its a good signing. Teams that think they can shove the Pens around are in for a treat.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:10 AM   #5114
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Its still a contact sport tred. He will bring toughness to the Pens so its a good signing. Teams that think they can shove the Pens around are in for a treat.
I suppose he will help somewhat in that area, although we already had a guy for that in Andre Roy, he was often hurt last season tho. What we really need right now isnt really toughness or anything like that, we need wingers, badly. We have almost virtually nothing at wing.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:13 AM   #5115
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco
I suppose he will help somewhat in that area, although we already had a guy for that in Andre Roy, he was often hurt last season tho. What we really need right now isnt really toughness or anything like that, we need wingers, badly. We have almost virtually nothing at wing.
trade for Simon Gagne...not sure if Philly would trade him to you guys though.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:21 AM   #5116
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
trade for Simon Gagne...not sure if Philly would trade him to you guys though.
Eh, it would cost alot in salary and in assets and your right we would never trade with Philly. Shero has made it clear that we arent going to be handing out long deals or large salaries this summer, although he has pointed out repeatedly that we will be doing some trading to address the rest of our needs. We are going to need dominant years from Fleury, Crosby and Malkin to get into the playoffs to make up for the many other problem areas that aren't really going to be satisfactorily addressed this year. The thing is that I am tired of waiting and I don't want to hear about building slowly anymore. Like Bob, we have been living in the basement for several years now and I am running short on patience. I want a playoff berth NOW!!! We havent done **** since 2001.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:13 AM   #5117
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthsayer
Shut the **** up. You clearly know nothing about hockey.
Firsr off, Kiss my a$$!

Secondly, since u know so much wat have they done to make the team better and more competitive next year or in seasons after? There only offensive real offensive weapons under contract are Sakic and Hedjuk. Svatos is recovering from injury a nd is a restricted free agent.

The new NHL is becoming about offense not defense, there are only a few defenseman now that are able to keep pace in the newer faster NHL, and Blake was one of the best. Plain and simple they are not even gonna be as descent as they were last season.

And trading one of last seasons best offensive weapons (Tanguay) was an idiotic move, and i don't care what anyone says, because that is true.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:24 AM   #5118
Jori
US Olympian

The Avs are in this position because of mistakes they have made since the new CBA was implemented. I think the biggest mistake was giving May, Turgeon and Brisebois two-year deals. Those guys are eating up 4 million of payroll. Another issue were these bonuses that kicked in for Sakic and Blake when the Avs declined their options for 06-07. That was a blunder because the club didn't find out until recently that those bonuses count against the cap. Now the Avs are effectively paying Sakic 8.05 million this season and 2.3 million for Blake who will be playing for the Kings. Had they picked up the options, the cap hit would have been around 12 million for both players, but you would have BOTH players.

I think Tanguay was going to be traded regardless. He reportedly is asking for 5 million per season, which I personally believe he's not worth at this time. You can't disappear in two straight playoff years and expect that kind of cash. You can criticize Hejduk, but Milan is locked into a long-term cap friendly contract.

I think this is a borderline playoff team, but they can make it if certain things go right for them.

I think Wolski is eventually going to make fans forget about Tanguay (perhaps not this season, but eventually). Next summer, the Avs will finally be rid of the bonuses and the contracts of Turgeon, May and Brisebois. They'll have cap room. You'll also start seeing some youngsters from the past few drafts starting to make the club in 07-08. This team is already younger then last year's squad and will continue to get younger within the next few years.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:42 AM   #5119
Jori
US Olympian

Tanguay signs with the Flames according to TSN.ca. No word on the dollar amount, or length of contract at this time. If it's a multi-year deal, the conditional second round pick kicks in for the Avs. The Avs would have the option to use that pick in 07 or 08.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #5120
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Good move by the Pens signing Ruutu, if anyone lays a finger on Crosby they are pretty much going to get the crap kicked out of them. I like the signing, reminds me why the oilers/kings got Marty Mcsorley.
Considering Brooks and colby armstrong were the only ones to really do that - i'm glad. Oh and that enforcer they got from FLA at the end of last year.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:23 AM   #5121
61Vikefan
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon
Yea....Then again, someone needs to man the basement of the Northwest for us....Say Hi to the Wild while you're down there, will you guys?
The Wild had more 1 goal/OT losses than any team in the NHL last season. You should pay attention to what the Wild are doing in the offseason-I expect them to be in 1st place throughout.
61Vikefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #5122
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I second that. He is a prime POS. I feel for ya, SoCal.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:41 AM   #5123
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61Vikefan
The Wild had more 1 goal/OT losses than any team in the NHL last season. You should pay attention to what the Wild are doing in the offseason-I expect them to be in 1st place throughout.
They've made some improvements, but I'm not sure I'd go that far. Remember, this is just about the toughest division in hockey.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #5124
Jori
US Olympian

Details of Tanguay's contact:

Year 1: 5 million
Year 2: 5.375 million
Year 3: 5.375 million

That's a 5.25 million cap hit the next three years. So the Avs now have the option of using Calgary's second round pick in 2007 and 2008.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #5125
61Vikefan
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn
They've made some improvements, but I'm not sure I'd go that far. Remember, this is just about the toughest division in hockey.
No doubt about that. Nothing against the division, but putting the Wild in was a mistake. I always wish we could resurrect the old Norris Division-Wild, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Blues and Stars would be a perfect division.

Last edited by 61Vikefan; 07-05-2006 at 10:56 AM..
61Vikefan is offline   Reply With Quote