The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2006, 02:26 PM   #5001
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon
Just so you Avalanche fans know, Leopold is a great player. I mean...he's on the verge of being an all-star. If you watch him play....he's a fantastic offensive talent, and he's no slouch hitting. You'll like him...Maybe not as much as you liked Blake, but let's be honest here....the guy is 36. Not that many years left in the tank anyways.
Our only hope is that three new players thrive in a new environment.

Jose Theodore looked better in the Anaheim series than he did all year in Montreal (which shows how badly the rest of the Avalanche played in getting swept by the Ducks). He needs to play close to his 2001-'02 level for the Avs to have a chance at making the playoffs.

Tyler Arnason is a talented player that has no work ethic. If he does change that part of his game then this will be a good move for the Avalanche. Still, going from Peter Forsberg to Tyler Arnason as your #2 center is as big a downgrade as it gets.

And finally, Jordan Leopold is already a solid player that needs to further increase his game now that he's arguably Colorado's #1 defenseman. If Leo takes the next step then at least the Avs made one decent move this offseason.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #5002
Jori
US Olympian

I've liked Leopold since he was a Gopher, but I'm also realistic in regards to next season. The Avs defense will consist of:

Leopold
Liles
Brisebois
Sauer
Skrastins
Clark
Vaananen

Not exactly earth shattering. I am looking forward to 07-08, when all the dead weight (bonuses plus Brisebois, Turgeon, May) will be off the books; that will open up 8 million dollars of cap space. The Avs only have Hejduk, Skrastins, Clark, Theodore, Wolski, and I believe Richardson on the books for 07-08. That will also be the year in which we start seeing some players from these last few drafts emerge. I really think Paul Stastny will be a member of the Avalanche in 07-08.

While I'm not giving up on 06-07, I also know that this team has many more question marks then last year. This organization has made many mistakes since this new cap system has been implemented. Barring any further mistakes, they'll be able to rebound come 07-08.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:05 PM   #5003
Jori
US Olympian

Martin Straka re-signs with the Rangers

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170333&hubname=nhl
Old 07-02-2006, 03:09 PM   #5004
Jori
US Olympian

Two bloggers claim that Weight has signed with St Louis 2 years/ 7 million. I'm waiting for a source from one of the media sites, but the two bloggers, Hadley and Strickland, have been spot on so far this free agency.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #5005
Jori
US Olympian

Bruins sign Shean Donovan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170339&hubname=nhl

There is also a rumor going around that the Avs are talking to Jan Bulis. Bulis is a good friend of Hejduk's and they seemed to have a good on ice chemistry playing in the Czech Rep last year. I'm still trying to find out how they Avs would fit him in their payroll and if they do have any spare cash...why aren't they going after someone like Spacek or Witt.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #5006
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
I've liked Leopold since he was a Gopher, but I'm also realistic in regards to next season. The Avs defense will consist of:

Leopold
Liles
Brisebois
Sauer
Skrastins
Clark
Vaananen

Not exactly earth shattering. I am looking forward to 07-08, when all the dead weight (bonuses plus Brisebois, Turgeon, May) will be off the books; that will open up 8 million dollars of cap space. The Avs only have Hejduk, Skrastins, Clark, Theodore, Wolski, and I believe Richardson on the books for 07-08. That will also be the year in which we start seeing some players from these last few drafts emerge. I really think Paul Stastny will be a member of the Avalanche in 07-08.

While I'm not giving up on 06-07, I also know that this team has many more question marks then last year. This organization has made many mistakes since this new cap system has been implemented. Barring any further mistakes, they'll be able to rebound come 07-08.
Yep. Just like Clockwork has been saying...it's time to take some lumps and start rebuilding. Let the young guys get some ice time, and free up some money for the future.

Also...I remember when Weight was traded last year he pretty much made it clear that he wanted to go back to St. Louis. That one was a no brainer. He had his cake and ate it too.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #5007
Jori
US Olympian

Sportsnet is now confirming that Weight has returned to the Blues; 2 years/ 7 million.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #5008
Jori
US Olympian

Panthers sign Salei to a four year deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170348&hubname=nhl
Old 07-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #5009
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Panthers sign Salei to a four year deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170348&hubname=nhl
Old 07-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #5010
Jori
US Olympian

Hinote signs with St Louis
Old 07-02-2006, 06:42 PM   #5011
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Best of luck in St. Louis, Dan The Man. Thanks for everything.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #5012
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Jeez, Hinote's gone now? Might as well be baseball the way these guys are moving.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #5013
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff
Jeez, Hinote's gone now? Might as well be baseball the way these guys are moving.
Nah, if this was baseball, New York would be buying everyone that they could while Boston whined about it......while buying everyone that they could.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #5014
Tredici
Ring of Famer

BTW - Jori, just to let you know your updates have been much appreciated. Thanks for the good work.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:35 PM   #5015
Jori
US Olympian

No problem Tred. The hockey off-season can just be as exciting as the in-season. I think now with the big named UFAs off the board, we'll start seeing some trades. I bet everybody is waiting for the Pronger trade before we see some more movement.

I just found out some more detail about Hinote's contract; he signed for 3 years @ 1 million. I think it's fairly obvious why he's no longer in an Avs uniform.

Just so you know, this signing hasn't yet been reported on any of the major media sites. The story comes from www.hadleyonsports.com.

This guy has predicted all the Blues signings correctly hours before they have reached TSN, Sportsnet, etc. Basically, he's the anti-Eklund

In all seriousness, I consider Hadley to be legitimate. I'll certainly miss Hinote. It certainly has been a whirlwind 13 months for this franchise.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #5016
Jori
US Olympian

Apparently the Detroit Red Wings will have press conference tomorrow at 1:00 PM EST; speculation is that Steve Yzerman will retire
Old 07-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #5017
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:

Leopold
Liles
Brisebois
Sauer
Skrastins
Clark
Vaananen

Leopold was one of the Flames' top two defenders during our cup run....It's not as bad as you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
BTW - Jori, just to let you know your updates have been much appreciated. Thanks for the good work.
Agreed. I'm not even checking any other news source...I go straight here.

Last edited by Killericon; 07-02-2006 at 09:49 PM..
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #5018
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon
Leopold was one of the Flames' top two defenders during our cup run....It's not as bad as you think.
No one thinks that Leopold is a bum, but he's a downgrade from Rob Blake. We spent this whole offseason talking about how the defense needed to be improved and they managed to actually take a step back.

This Avs team won't be terrible, but they'll struggle to make the playoffs in the ultra competitive Western Conference unless somehow Theowhore rediscovers his 2002 form (not holding my breath on that one).

I'd just prefer that if they're going to be mediocre, go the full nine and just be really bad for a year. The draft picks they get out of it would be well worth it.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #5019
Jori
US Olympian

There's some talent, but the group as a whole is soft. Besides, Quenneville will use Breezeby as a number one defenseman; I just know it. Everytime I'll see Brisebois on the ice this year in an Avs sweater, I'll be reminded of Game 3 against the Ducks.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #5020
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Everytime I'll see Brisebois on the ice this year in an Avs sweater, I'll be reminded of Game 3 against the Ducks.
[Mike Evans]But he's a nice guy. I'm not gonna rip him because I've met him and he's a nice guy.[/Mike Evans]
Old 07-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #5021
Jori
US Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
No one thinks that Leopold is a bum, but he's a downgrade from Rob Blake. We spent this whole offseason talking about how the defense needed to be improved and they managed to actually take a step back.

This Avs team won't be terrible, but they'll struggle to make the playoffs in the ultra competitive Western Conference unless somehow Theowhore rediscovers his 2002 form (not holding my breath on that one).

I'd just prefer that if they're going to be mediocre, go the full nine and just be really bad for a year. The draft picks they get out of it would be well worth it.
I can see the Avs being somewhere between 7-10 in the west this year. I like their chances better if Theodore plays well, Hejduk rebounds from a subpar year and if Quenneville can resist the urge of over playing Breezeby.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:50 PM   #5022
Jori
US Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
[Mike Evans]But he's a nice guy. I'm not gonna rip him because I've met him and he's a nice guy.[/Mike Evans]
Old 07-02-2006, 09:50 PM   #5023
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I'll be reminded of Game 3 against the Ducks.
Well, I saw Joey out there in the East Parking Lot. I really thought I could pass it through the entire Duck team standing in front of our net.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:10 PM   #5024
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Hinote signs with St Louis
Goddamn, that sucks ass. That's where another guy similar to Hinote went too, Podein. I always liked him too.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:12 PM   #5025
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Besides, Quenneville will use Breezeby as a number one defenseman; I just know it.
Good Lord, I'll be a raging alcoholic 2 weeks into the season.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote