The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2006, 12:16 AM   #4976
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
Scott Thornton signs with the Kings 2 years/ 3 million per TSN.
Former Shark player, im sure our GM DL liked this guy so I have to believe this guy is a solid pickup.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:52 AM   #4977
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey
Blake was never an Av, he is coming home where he belongs.

He may never have been an Av, but he'll never lift one of these in a Kings jersey.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:17 AM   #4978
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc

He may never have been an Av, but he'll never lift one of these in a Kings jersey.
Well he is leaving a sinking ship, so I think he has a better shot now.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:21 AM   #4979
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
The Avs and Kings both have no shot. He should have signed with either of the better two California teams. Put Blake on the Sharks or Ducks and you have a Stanley Cup favorite. Put him on the Kings and you might make the playoffs for the first time in 5 years.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:21 AM   #4980
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Article Launched: 07/02/2006 01:00:00 AM MDT

colorado avalanche
Blake era comes to an end in Colorado
By Adrian Dater
Denver Post Staff Writer

Blake: "It's a business, unfortunately. But I just want to say the Avalanche is the best organization in hockey, by far. Everybody, from the top person on down was just first class." (Post file)

Tyler Arnason's days with the Avalanche are just beginning. Rob Blake's, however, are over.

On a Saturday in which the Avs signed the free-agent center Arnason to a one-year, $950,000 contract, the bigger news centered around the breaking off of contract talks between the team and star defenseman Blake.

Later in the day, Blake returned to his former team, the Los Angeles Kings, signing a two-year, $12 million contract.

Avalanche general manager Francois Giguere said that, despite his best efforts, he was not able to reach an agreement with Blake, 36, clearing the way for him to sign with another NHL team as an unrestricted free agent.

"We wanted to keep him and we tried to keep him, but in the end it didn't work out. He has to do what is right for him and his family, and we wish him the best," Giguere said.

Giguere met with Blake last week and said he offered him a package of one- and two-year deals to stay with the Avalanche, but Blake rejected them.

Ironically, the Avs could not afford to keep Blake partly because of the money they are paying him as he exits the team. Under terms of his previous contract, Blake is due a $2.3 million bonus payment for next season - all counting against the Avs' salary cap of $44 million.

Blake said, "(The bonus) kind of screwed things up with me coming back. It is ironic. Not only that, but they declined the option years on us because of last year's cap. It's a business, unfortunately. But I just want to say the Avalanche is the best organization in hockey, by far. Everybody, from the top person on down was just first class. I learned so much there, and I hope to carry it on back here in L.A."

Giguere is aware that Blake's departure will be seen as a major blow to the Avs by fans and pundits, and that the bonus payments to Blake and captain Joe Sakic (also for $2.3 million) might be seen as a gaffe by the organization.

But Giguere defended the situation surrounding both issues.

"I knew that I probably wouldn't be able to keep one of the three unrestricted defensemen we had. We signed two of them (Karlis Skrastins and Brett Clark), but I knew it might be tough with Rob," Giguere said. "That's why we made a deal to obtain a top-four defenseman last week (Jordan Leopold from Calgary). You hate to lose a player of Rob's ability, but we're

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

going forward with a player (Leopold) 11 years younger (than Blake), with a lot of offensive upside. Right now, we have five defensemen signed who we like and still have John Liles to sign. I feel good about our defense right now. It's younger and we had lots of production last season from guys we still have."
About the bonus payment situations, Giguere said, "It was a very good contract at the time with both of them, and the Colorado Avalanche received great things from them. To sign both players to five-year contracts was something great for the team. The salary cap changed things, but a lot of teams lost some very good players (Saturday), not just us."

Giguere said the Avs will not buy out the contracts of currently signed players, including Pierre Turgeon, Patrice Brisebois or Brad May. Part of the reason, Giguere said, is because any player who is 35 or older when his contract is bought out has his full salary count against the salary cap. Turgeon and Brisebois are older than 35, and May will be 35 in November.

In Arnason, 27, the Avs get a center who has shown flashes of potential stardom but has yet to fulfill his potential. He was acquired by Ottawa from Chicago at the trade deadline last season, but performed poorly for the Senators and was not given a qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted free agent. He is eligible to become unrestricted after next season, too.

"When I talked to Tyler, one area he felt he needed improvement was his conditioning, and he is working with a personal trainer now," Giguere said. "He's got a lot of offensive talent, and I think he'll be a top-six forward for us. The fact that he can be unrestricted next year I think plays into our advantage, because I think he'll have extra motivation."

Staff writer Adrian Dater can be reached at 303-820-5454 or adater@denverpost.com.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_4003935

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:22 AM   #4981
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Maybe Luc should stick around to reform the Kings team that had some glory. You pick on a team that did make the playoffs over your Kings team. Kings better improve from 2005 and 06. As for the Ducks, resigning Selanne is just one piece to complete a more dominating year in06 - 07. I have Ducks at least in 2nd in division (SJ might take #1).
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:24 AM   #4982
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:

A shot at the Cup with the Queens? You're always good for a laugh, 24.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:28 AM   #4983
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Giguere said the Avs will not buy out the contracts of currently signed players, including Pierre Turgeon, Patrice Brisebois or Brad May. Part of the reason, Giguere said, is because any player who is 35 or older when his contract is bought out has his full salary count against the salary cap. Turgeon and Brisebois are older than 35, and May will be 35 in November.

Again, why in the bloody **** did they give these useless fossils 2 year deals when guys under the age of 30 only get 1?

Nevermind. One more year and we're rid of them.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:37 AM   #4984
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange

A shot at the Cup with the Queens? You're always good for a laugh, 24.
Hey Ive been a Kings fan for longer than Denver has had an NHL team. Suffered alot but it will worth it someday....soon i hope!
Old 07-02-2006, 01:41 AM   #4985
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn
Maybe Luc should stick around to reform the Kings team that had some glory. You pick on a team that did make the playoffs over your Kings team. Kings better improve from 2005 and 06. As for the Ducks, resigning Selanne is just one piece to complete a more dominating year in06 - 07. I have Ducks at least in 2nd in division (SJ might take #1).
Actually Im hoping Jari Kurri and Gretz come back.

Hey dont worry about Selanne, you have more important things to worry about like what colors should be on your new jersey's.

Last edited by 24champ; 07-02-2006 at 01:43 AM..
Old 07-02-2006, 01:42 AM   #4986
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Hey Ive been a Kings fan for longer than Denver has had an NHL team. Suffered alot but it will worth it someday....soon i hope!
Denver's had an NHL team for 15 years; you're 21 -- so you became a Kings fan at age 6. Mighty impressive. Did you enjoy that Cup Finals run at age 8?
Old 07-02-2006, 01:53 AM   #4987
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
Denver's had an NHL team for 15 years; you're 21 -- so you became a Kings fan at age 6. Mighty impressive. Did you enjoy that Cup Finals run at age 8?
I was born a kings fan, I think at three my dad took me to a Kings game.

Regarding the cup run....Yes I did, obviously it didnt end the way I wanted it to, but man that series against the leafs is one i wont forget. I still think Pat Burns is a prick after that feud with Barry.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:01 AM   #4988
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Old 07-02-2006, 02:06 AM   #4989
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Three Avs in that picture; obviously Roy and Blake, but also our not-to-be-bought-out Patrice #43 Brisebois.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:40 AM   #4990
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

And I thought the Avs were in bad shape with the cap. The Devils, especially after re-signing Elias, are in a tough spot. They've got $7 million in dead money on their cap this season for two guys who won't be playing for them (Mogilny, Malakhov) and according to this, they've currently got $38.98 million already committed with 9 roster spots left to fill.

I guess things are tough all over.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #4991
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
It's official now...Rob Blake is gone and has returned to the LA Kings; two years /12 million.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170251&hubname=nhl

Can you say overpayed....later blake it was fun.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:05 AM   #4992
Jori
US Olympian

A few signings starting to come in. LaRose re-signs with Carolina, Mike Sillinger heads to the Islanders and just in...Arnott signs with the Predators (5 years/ 22.5 million)---per TSN

Last edited by Jori; 07-02-2006 at 10:08 AM..
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:15 AM   #4993
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I guess you are referring to the current NHL Team. What is this weird compulsion of hockey fans in regards to longevity?

I don't think I ever see anyone looking down their noses at fans of expansion football teams. I mean, how dare those Seahawk fans cheer at a Super Bowl. They don't have history and shouldn't be considered as legitimate fans.

Goofy complex.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #4994
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
And I thought the Avs were in bad shape with the cap. The Devils, especially after re-signing Elias, are in a tough spot. They've got $7 million in dead money on their cap this season for two guys who won't be playing for them (Mogilny, Malakhov) and according to this, they've currently got $38.98 million already committed with 9 roster spots left to fill.

I guess things are tough all over.
Buttman must be ecstatic! His plan to dismantle the winning franchises and make the entire league mediocre is coming to fruition ahead of schedule.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #4995
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

So who's left from 95 and/or 01 now ... just Sakic and Hejduk?

We couldda signed Jon Klemm last week for old times sake and for blue-line depth. This is one young team now, I hope Wolski or Svatos can become some kind of leader.

Leopold is a young stud, no doubt, but does anybody have a thumbnail on this Arnason?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #4996
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
Buttman must be ecstatic! His plan to dismantle the winning franchises and make the entire league mediocre is coming to fruition ahead of schedule.
It's great, isn't it? I'm so happy we lost an entire season for the great Saaaaaaalary Caaaaaap.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #4997
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff
So who's left from 95 and/or 01 now ... just Sakic and Hejduk?

We couldda signed Jon Klemm last week for old times sake and for blue-line depth. This is one young team now, I hope Wolski or Svatos can become some kind of leader.

Leopold is a young stud, no doubt, but does anybody have a thumbnail on this Arnason?
Those young players are at this point the only reason to look forward to next season. Hopefully they can continue to grow, and the following year we can get them some respectable linemates to go along with Sakic and Hejduk. Brisbois, Turgeon, and May for another year? Oh joy.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #4998
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Actually Im hoping Jari Kurri and Gretz come back.

Hey dont worry about Selanne, you have more important things to worry about like what colors should be on your new jersey's.
If that is our only problem, then we are very set. The youngins will be a year more mature and Andy McDonald on the team next year, I see a very good future. Good luck with Kurri and Gretz. Felix the Cat should be available also.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #4999
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Just so you Avalanche fans know, Leopold is a great player. I mean...he's on the verge of being an all-star. If you watch him play....he's a fantastic offensive talent, and he's no slouch hitting. You'll like him...Maybe not as much as you liked Blake, but let's be honest here....the guy is 36. Not that many years left in the tank anyways.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #5000
Jori
US Olympian

Darryl Sydor goes back to Dallas in a trade; the Lightning receive the Stars 4th round pick in 2008.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170328&hubname=nhl

Kings sign Alyn McCauley to a three year deal

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170326&hubname=nhl
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote