The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2006, 03:56 PM   #4776
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Martin Biron accepts his qualifying offer and abrupty asks for a trade.

Pretty predictable. Miller established himself as the #1 netminder in Buffalo and Biron is good enough to be a starter. The Sabres are being goodly enough to accomodate him, so this appears to be a pretty fair situation for all parties concerned.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #4777
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Boston/Phoenix trade complete.

Boston trades Nick Boynton + a 4th round pick to Phoenix for Paul Mara + a 3rd round pick.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:44 PM   #4778
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/...l-draft-grades

Hockey News grades
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:00 AM   #4779
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Penguins extend qualifying offers to 6, decline to qualify 11

The Pittsburgh Penguins have made qualifying offers to six of their group II free agents, thus retaining their rights, it was announced Monday by General Manager Ray Shero.

The following six players have been extended qualifying offers: forwards - Colby Armstrong, Ryan Malone, Niklas Nordgren, Jani Rita; defenseman - Brooks Orpik; goaltender - Marc-Andre Fleury.

The following 11 players have not been extended qualifying offers and become unrestricted free agents: forwards - Ben Eaves, Andy Hilbert, Krystofer Kolanos, Konstantin Koltsov, Cam Paddock, Tomas Surovy, Petr Taticek; defensemen - Drew Fata, Alexandre Rouleau, Andy Schneider; goaltender - Andy Chiodo.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:08 AM   #4780
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Penguins extend qualifying offers to 6, decline to qualify 11

The Pittsburgh Penguins have made qualifying offers to six of their group II free agents, thus retaining their rights, it was announced Monday by General Manager Ray Shero.

The following six players have been extended qualifying offers: forwards - Colby Armstrong, Ryan Malone, Niklas Nordgren, Jani Rita; defenseman - Brooks Orpik; goaltender - Marc-Andre Fleury.

The following 11 players have not been extended qualifying offers and become unrestricted free agents: forwards - Ben Eaves, Andy Hilbert, Krystofer Kolanos, Konstantin Koltsov, Cam Paddock, Tomas Surovy, Petr Taticek; defensemen - Drew Fata, Alexandre Rouleau, Andy Schneider; goaltender - Andy Chiodo.

they guys they need to keep they offered - everyone else can go
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #4781
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Cuban, Marino bid for Pens

Tools
Print this article
E-mail this article
Subscribe to this paper
Larger / Smaller Text

By Andrew Conte
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Two Pittsburgh natives -- billionaire Mark Cuban and football legend Dan Marino -- have joined a New York financier Andrew Murstein's bid to buy the Penguins hockey team, Murstein announced today.
Cuban, a Mt. Lebanon native who owns the Dallas Mavericks of the NBA, confirmed that he has joined Murstein in offering to buy the Penguins. Cuban said by e-mail that he's interested in owning the team only if it remains in Pittsburgh.

"To help keep the team in Pittsburgh," he wrote. "That's a condition of my participation."

Marino, who grew up in Oakland and starred for Central Catholic High School, the University of Pittsburgh and the Miami Dolphins, could not be reached for comment.

Murstein, president of Medallion Financial Group, is one of four or five serious bidders for the team. Murstein’s group also includes the partners in the Shadyside-based real estate development firm Walnut Capital.

A Penguins spokesman wouldn't comment on the pending sale, but team officials have said keeping the Penguins in Pittsburgh is a priority.

The Penguins' current owners are accepting official offers this week and are expected to pick a winner in the next two weeks. Owners include former team captain Mario Lemieux and California investor Ron Burkle.

The other bidders are Clarion Capital Partners, a New York private equity firm headed by managing partner Marc Utay; Ohio businessman Jim Renacci; Massachusetts real estate developer Lawrence Gottesdiener; and Toronto real estate developers David and Sam Fingold.

The team's lease at Mellon Arena expires in June 2007. Under its lease, the team can start looking for a new hometown on July 1, which is Saturday.

Andrew Conte can be reached at aconte@tribweb.com or (412) 765-2312.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_459732.html

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:02 PM   #4782
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Are there a lot of delusional Cansuck fans out there or what? ( I know, redundant question. ) After reading through a lot of crap on TSN and other places, there seem to be a lot of their fans thinking Chara is coming their way.

They wouldn't have the cap room to sign someone like Chara as well as adding Luongo's salary too, do they?

And while I'm at it, did Luongo tell Nonis who he wanted backing him up?
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #4783
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn
Are there a lot of delusional Cansuck fans out there or what? ( I know, redundant question. ) After reading through a lot of crap on TSN and other places, there seem to be a lot of their fans thinking Chara is coming their way.

They wouldn't have the cap room to sign someone like Chara as well as adding Luongo's salary too, do they?

And while I'm at it, did Luongo tell Nonis who he wanted backing him up?
They do need a top d-man though to replace Jovo. The hot name going around is Willie Mitchell because he's a BC guy...I'm not so sure though.

I'm not sure about the cap space, but Luongo was on a local radio show saying that he is interested in signing in Van longterm. He said his special arrangements don't apply in Van...and never were the deal breaker in Florida either.

They may end up dealing Cloutier, so that would open up a nice chunk of cap room.

Last edited by WABronco; 06-27-2006 at 01:32 PM..
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:42 PM   #4784
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

So who was the backup that Luongo dictated to Nonis?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #4785
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
So who was the backup that Luongo dictated to Nonis?
He didn't....that's what I said in my last post.

Quote:
He said his special arrangements don't apply in Van...and never were the deal breaker in Florida either.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #4786
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Avs qualify 8 players

The eight players and their 2005-06 salaries are: defensemen Ossi Vaananen ($950,000), Kurt Sauer ($718,200) and John-Michael Liles ($450,000); forwards Cody McCormick ($450,000), Brett McLean ($450,000) and Marek Svatos ($450,000); and goalies Peter Budaj ($450,000) and Vitaly Kolesnik ($450,000).
Old 06-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #4787
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Canes re-sign Kaberle.

4 years, $8.8 million.

Also, the hot rumor right now is that the Sharks & Sens are discussing a deal that would send Martin Havlat to San Jose for Vesa Toskala.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #4788
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Avs pick up option on Laaksonen, re-sign Vaananen.

The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced Tuesday it has picked up the option on forward Antti Laaksonen’s contract for the 2006-07 season and signed defenseman Ossi Vaananen to a one-year deal.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #4789
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

NHL & NHLPA announce salary cap at $44 million for next season

There's more good news for the National Hockey League.

Following a strong return season after the lockout, the NHL and NHLPA jointly announced on Tuesday that the team salary cap is increasing.

The salary cap floor which was $21.5 million in 2005-06 will move up to $28 million. The ceiling moves from $39 million to $44 million.

The cap is up because league-wide revenues exceeded pre-season projections of $1.8 billion and totalled more than $2.1 billion this season.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #4790
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Avs qualify 8 players

The eight players and their 2005-06 salaries are: defensemen Ossi Vaananen ($950,000), Kurt Sauer ($718,200) and John-Michael Liles ($450,000); forwards Cody McCormick ($450,000), Brett McLean ($450,000) and Marek Svatos ($450,000); and goalies Peter Budaj ($450,000) and Vitaly Kolesnik ($450,000).
Wait a minute. No Brad May? I mean how can we possibly live without the guy who has the worst +/- on the team, acquired in about 2 or 3 minutes of ice time? I'm very perplexed.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #4791
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Bruins fire head coach Mike Sullivan.

He must have asked for a raise.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #4792
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
Wait a minute. No Brad May? I mean how can we possibly live without the guy who has the worst +/- on the team, acquired in about 2 or 3 minutes of ice time? I'm very perplexed.
Unfortunately, they didn't have to qualify May, he has a contract for next season. Please join me in praying for a buyout of he, Breezeby & Turgeon.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:13 PM   #4793
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Unfortunately, they didn't have to qualify May, he has a contract for next season. Please join me in praying for a buyout of he, Breezeby & Turgeon.

Good Gawd. Talk about dead cap space.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #4794
Jori
US Olympian

Sportsnet expects Bruins to name Dave Lewis as their new head coach.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...27_183205_5188
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #4795
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
Sportsnet expects Bruins to name Dave Lewis as their new head coach.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...27_183205_5188
What a mess that organization is, top to bottom.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:03 PM   #4796
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco
He didn't....that's what I said in my last post.

Well that's not what other Canucklehead fans are saying.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:27 PM   #4797
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Well that's not what other Canucklehead fans are saying.
Oh really? Where?
Old 06-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #4798
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Luongo's agent on Vancouver radio:

Quote:
-He basically said the Luongo wanted to sign a 5 year deal to start off with but Keenan said he'd only do a one year deal

-Then Luongo agreed to do a one year deal with the Panthers but Keenan said no we want a five year deal

-He figures a long term deal with the Canucks seems very likely because the only reason they wanted a one year deal was because they felt like Keenan was going to trade him so they didn't want to be locked up long term on a bad team

-Canucks organization is a hundred times better than the Panther's

-Luongo wont be asking for the max because he know if he does that then he'll be hurting the team down the road.
Luongo himself on Van radio:

"the special conditions really only applied to my status in Florida"

Quote:
Luongo: "Great organization, Great city. I'm excited to get a chance at the playoffs."

"So far it's been nothing but positive and they have the elements to make the playoffs and I think they missed because of injuries, and my job is to make a run at the cup there."

"I would love to stay there long term, but I don't want to make any rash decisions... but I don't see any problems as the city is great and the organization is good."

"It's tough for me to make a decision, because i've never lived there and it will be a decision for my wife... but I don't think there will be any problems because i've heard nothing but good things about Vancouver!"

"I think I'm my best during tough challenges (playoffs)... I feel I elivate my game in those situations."
Just a summary off another board...
Old 06-27-2006, 08:49 PM   #4799
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Luongo himself on Van radio:

[B
"the special conditions really only applied to my status in Florida"[/B]

Quite frankly I'm not all that impressed with any player who feels he has the right to demand any type of special conditions. Not his job to build the team. It's his net to mind when he's in it. Period.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:52 PM   #4800
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Oh really? Where?

Actually it was just comments here and there. Some on TSN, some on ESPN, I think? Could just be fan projections.