The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #4726
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

I always meant to show off some more of my Avs stuff (I showed a bit on the Post Your Pic thread), here's a couple of other items I enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1313.JPG (65.2 KB, 61 views)
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:28 PM   #4727
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

St. Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1315.JPG (53.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-24-2006, 09:30 PM   #4728
Jori
US Olympian

DU retruit JESSE MARTIN drafted by Atlanta with pick 195
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:32 PM   #4729
Jori
US Olympian

Avs draft Billy Sauer, goaltender out of Michigan, with their final pick at #201. This could be a STEAL!
Old 06-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #4730
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
Avs draft Billy Sauer, goaltender out of Michigan, with their final pick at #201. This could be a STEAL!
It could just be my NCAA hockey bias, but I like it.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:44 PM   #4731
Jori
US Olympian

Okay, I think this is what happened. Apparently pick #110 belonged to the Islanders in the Mike Peca trade. The Avs gave up their 5th and 6th round picks for that 4th round pick to select Mongtomery.

So for the second straight draft, the Avs do not select any European players. The Avs also used four of their six picks on NCAA players. When you take into account last year's draft that's 9 of 15 selections used on college players.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #4732
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

And the Canes make Justin Kreuger this years Mr. Irrelevant. Congrats Justin.

I have to say that I'm very happy overall with the Avs draft. They seemed to hold true to form in going with the best player available rather than drafting for need.

I applaud them again, they're doing a fine job of rebuilding the farm system.

Now they need to justify this Tanguay trade by going out on the open market and spending the cap space they saved by trading him on an upgrade for the team......namely on defense. There are a glut of nice looking free agent defensemen and the Avs now should have the flexibility to make a serious run at one of them.

Today was a good day, hopefully there's more to come in a week.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:09 PM   #4733
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Phone Calls Pouring In For Pronger

VANCOUVER (CP) - Kevin Lowe was a little busier than he thought he'd be considering the Edmonton Oilers didn't have a first-round pick in Saturday's NHL entry draft.

The Oilers GM's cellphone was ringing non-stop a day after star defenceman Chris Pronger and his agent officially asked for a trade due to personal reasons.

"I thought I was coming here and going to have a nice, quiet draft and sit around and wait for the second round for our pick," Lowe said. "But there's been a lot of talk, at the same time we have to be careful not to react too quickly and do the right thing.

"There's no question there's a lot of interest. It's almost like having the first pick, you get all the calls."

Lowe was coy Friday when first asked about Pronger's trade request but by Saturday acknowledged his new-round reality.

"We're certainly going to look around because the (trade) request was made, but we're not going to be knee-jerk to anything," said Lowe. "We'll do it, like we always have, when it's in the best interests of the hockey club."

Pronger, coming off an MVP-like playoff performance, has four more years on his contract paying him $6.25 million a season - worth every dime.

There won't be a shortage of suitors because of it and Lowe isn't handcuffed by having to try and deal him to specific U.S. cities.

"Not really, he doesn't have a no-trade clause so there can't be many stipulations," said Lowe. "But I don't want to get into the particulars. If we do in fact pursue it, there will be all the options we need."

Lowe, in fact, knew for quite a while that Pronger might demand a trade because of the personal situation in question but it still didn't dull the blow Friday.

"Yes I knew but I was always hoping that things would change," said Lowe. "It's a personal matter and I don't want to get into it from their perspective. It's not like it caught me by surprise but it's still a shot in the gut after you finally digest it."

Lowe still used the word "if" when discussing a Pronger trade, leaving the door slightly open that perhaps a move could be avoided.

"My favourite motto is expect the unexpected but I don't want to lead anybody on. I just don't know what will happen," Lowe said.

"For our fans, everything will work out. We'll make sure it does."

The Oilers finally did get to draft Saturday, selecting Michigan native Jeff Petry 45th overall, a 6-2, 176-pound right-handed defenceman who is an agile skater. He had 15 points (1-14) in 48 games with Des Moines of the USHL this past season.

"We had him rated in the top 15 on our list," said Oilers scouting director Kevin Prendergast. "Our scouts really, really liked him only because of the upside. We're a little thin on defence within the organization and we think he's going to be able to play for us in four or five years."

Lowe, meanwhile, has his work cut out these days. He has nine players headed for unrestricted free agency next Saturday, chief among them goalie Dwayne Roloson. Lowe has already contacted Roloson's agent.

"We've made an offer," said Lowe. "And let's leave it at that."
Old 06-24-2006, 10:17 PM   #4734
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Naturally, Oiler fans are extremely pleased by all of this.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:13 PM   #4735
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Naturally, Oiler fans are extremely pleased by all of this.

Talk about a cheap excuse for a trade demand...
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:27 PM   #4736
Tredici
Ring of Famer

He has nine players headed for unrestricted free agency next Saturday, chief among them goalie Dwayne Roloson.

Wow. That could close the window of Stanley opportunity rather quickly... Luongo had better be Superman. Or his coming perceived as him being one.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:54 AM   #4737
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Some shots of the Avs 1st rounder, Chris Stewart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VCRZ140062422_800x600.jpg (56.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-25-2006, 01:56 AM   #4738
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

And another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VCRZ141062422_800x600.jpg (93.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-25-2006, 08:56 AM   #4739
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

So did anyone read Dater's article on Stewart this morning? I like the pick for the Avs and would have loved the Caps to have traded up for him, but to say some predraft scouting surveys had him as a Top 10 is a total load of BS. This draft was considered 10-12 deep, and Chris was never rated in that range. But I'm sure I'll get to hear Moser and Clough talk about this on Monday like it's a fact.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #4740
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
So did anyone read Dater's article on Stewart this morning? I like the pick for the Avs and would have loved the Caps to have traded up for him, but to say some predraft scouting surveys had him as a Top 10 is a total load of BS. This draft was considered 10-12 deep, and Chris was never rated in that range. But I'm sure I'll get to hear Moser and Clough talk about this on Monday like it's a fact.
I know that Central Scouting had Stewart as the 8th ranked North American skater. Perhaps Dater saw that list and interpreted it as Stewart being ranked as the 8th best prospect in the draft. Either that or he's just making things up, I dunno.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:03 PM   #4741
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Edmonton fans are out of their minds. Just reading some of their Pronger trade threads on a couple of different boards and they've thrown around names like Staal, Kovalchuk, Crosby, Malkin and Nash. Someone there also said that "Pronger's value is twice what it was when the Oilers traded for him a year ago."

Reminds me a lot of the Mike Comrie situation from a few years ago. In their minds he was a future Hart Trophy winner and they wouldn't settle for less than a king's ransom for their "superstar." They're not quite as bad as Toronto fans (I'll never forget the Cory Cross, Jonas Hoglund & an 8th round pick for any superstar in the NHL proposals they used to throw out there constantly) but their not that far off either.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #4742
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

What are some of the good hockey boards CO?
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #4743
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
What are some of the good hockey boards CO?
The two that I lurk around are www.hfboards.com and http://mb.scout.com/bhockey.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #4744
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Some images of the new prospects.

Nicklas Backstrom (AO's new best friend )

Michael Neuwirth

Michael Carman

Chris Stewart
Old 06-25-2006, 02:16 PM   #4745
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Carl Sneep

Jordan Staal
Old 06-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #4746
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

Quote:
The two that I lurk around are www.hfboards.com and http://mb.scout.com/bhockey.
Thanks man.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #4747
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
I know that Central Scouting had Stewart as the 8th ranked North American skater. Perhaps Dater saw that list and interpreted it as Stewart being ranked as the 8th best prospect in the draft. Either that or he's just making things up, I dunno.
I saw at the Avs site they've got him as the 8th best NA skater, but that list is accurate as of 4-20. I really hope Adrian didn't go off of a 2 month old list when he wrote the article.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #4748
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Nicklas Backstrom (AO's new best friend )
Ditch the mullet
Old 06-25-2006, 03:04 PM   #4749
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Carl Sneep

Jordan Staal
Thanks for the pictures, CO.

Although I am still really bummed out over Shero failing to pry JJ from Carolina. I read he rejected a straight up trade and insisted on getting Ladd in addition and that's how it just fell apart. Im so ****ing pissed right now. I like Sneep and Strait though.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #4750
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco
Although I am still really bummed out over Shero failing to pry JJ from Carolina. I read he rejected a straight up trade and insisted on getting Ladd in addition and that's how it just fell apart.
If that's true, that's just Shero being greedy.