The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2005, 10:13 PM   #426
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
2 more assists for Ovechkin tonight
Yeah i watched that third period, great effort from the caps to come from behind and pull it out at the end. Esp. good penalty killing.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:34 AM   #427
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

socal,

I'd be happy with therrian - but i think not only a coach, but we have the wrong mix of people. I'd rather have signed foote than gonchar - Edzo did good with young guys, but i don't think he carries weight with the vets. Not to mention the supposed 'club mario' atmosphere in pitt.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #428
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
socal,

I'd be happy with therrian - but i think not only a coach, but we have the wrong mix of people. I'd rather have signed foote than gonchar - Edzo did good with young guys, but i don't think he carries weight with the vets. Not to mention the supposed 'club mario' atmosphere in pitt.
Foote isnt having a good year either. I think Therrian being there will help alot with Gonch. He wont be able to get away with being lazy. Ive heard Therrian is crazy. That's probably good for this team. There is alot of laziness and lack of effort. I think CP understands that the Club Mario atmosphere hurt this team, im glad they canned Randy Hillier in particular as well. That should help on that issue. We are going to go to a defensive system now. That in addition to MAF will really help to cut down on goals given up. Weve already shown that despite having some talent out there and an offensive system we cant put up the types of numbers we need to, so its not a big loss on the offensive side really. We werent scoring anyway even when Palffy, LeClair and 66 were in the lineup.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #429
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco
Foote isnt having a good year either. I think Therrian being there will help alot with Gonch. He wont be able to get away with being lazy. Ive heard Therrian is crazy. That's probably good for this team. There is alot of laziness and lack of effort. I think CP understands that the Club Mario atmosphere hurt this team, im glad they canned Randy Hillier in particular as well. That should help on that issue. We are going to go to a defensive system now. That in addition to MAF will really help to cut down on goals given up. Weve already shown that despite having some talent out there and an offensive system we cant put up the types of numbers we need to, so its not a big loss on the offensive side really. We werent scoring anyway even when Palffy, LeClair and 66 were in the lineup.

I guess, would it really matter whom the coach is when the owner is on the bench is where i'm going......
Old 12-15-2005, 12:35 PM   #430
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default New rules shooting down goalies

By Mike Brehm, USA TODAY
NHL coaches are quicker with the hook this season.
Florida's Roberto Luongo makes a save. The Panthers goaltender has been pulled from five games this season. Florida's Roberto Luongo makes a save. The Panthers goaltender has been pulled from five games this season.
By Wilfredo Lee, AP

As goals-against averages swell because of smaller pads and offense-friendly rules, goaltenders are being pulled once every 5.6 games. They were pulled once every 7.2 games in 2003-04. (Related item: Who's doing the pulling)

If this pace keeps up, there could be 28% more in-game goaltending changes this season:

Of 80 changes through Tuesday, 61 were coach's decisions. Nineteen were the result of injuries. Only the Philadelphia Flyers haven't made a switch.

Florida's Roberto Luongo has been pulled five times in 28 starts, matching his total in 72 starts in 2003-04 when he was a Vezina Trophy finalist. St. Louis' Patrick Lalime, pulled four times, was sent to the minors Tuesday.

Anaheim's Jean-Sebastien Giguere has left three games with an injury, including when he returned too soon from a strained hamstring. Buffalo's Mika Noronen was replaced during a shootout when he strained his groin muscle.

The Atlanta Thrashers have changed goalies six times, three because of injuries, but they have forced opponents to switch seven times.

Goalies are more vulnerable because a crackdown on restraining penalties is allowing players to charge the net with speed.

Scoring is up 24%, and shutouts are down 55% to the lowest per-game rate since 1992-93.

Many individual goalie stats are taking a hit. Luongo sports a once-gaudy 3.30 goals-against average.

Boston's Andrew Raycroft, the 2003-04 rookie of the year, is at 3.46. Dallas' Marty Turco, whose career average had been 1.91, is at 2.55 this season.

But Turco has won 12 of his last 14. Evaluating a goalie's worth might have returned to who makes the big save at the right time.

"You're going have to let things roll (off your back) a lot better and continue just to try to make the difference for your team every night, whether it's giving up one goal or four," Turco said in a conference call.

"Worrying about stats is kind of out the window right now."

How many times each team has pulled its goalie this season (through Tuesday), how many times its opponent's goalie has left the game and why:
Team

Switches

Coach's
decision

Injury

Opponent
switches

Coach's
decision

Injury
Anaheim

Atlanta

Boston

Buffalo

Calgary

Carolina

Chicago

Colorado

Columbus

Dallas

Detroit

Edmonton

Florida

Los
Angeles

Minnesota

Montreal

Nashville

N.Y.
Islanders

N.Y.
Rangers

New Jersey

Ottawa

Philadelphia

Phoenix

Pittsburgh

San Jose

St. Louis

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Vancouver

Washington

Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:32 PM   #431
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default NHL salary cap rising to $40-45M

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=147082&hubname=

They've got more money to spend next season.

Commissioner Gary Bettman, as expected, told owners at the board of governors meeting Thursday that current revenue projections will see the salary cap rise to somewhere between a low of $40 million US and a high of $45 million.

The cap was $39 million this season.

''It does provide a different landscape,'' Leafs general manager John Ferguson Jr., said after the two-day meetings wrapped up Thursday. ''We negotiated some deals last summer and stayed out of some, frankly, because of that uncertainty.

''It doesn't sound like it's going up a whole lot if it ends up on the lower end but if it ends up on the higher end we'd have a little more room to spend providing our budget would permit us to go to that number.

''And I think it's safe to say we'd be approaching it.''

More precisely, Bettman told owners Thursday that current projections call for revenues to be just over $2 billion this season. Under the CBA, the next season's salary cap is based on the previous year's revenue total.

Revenues of exactly $2 billion for this year would correspond to a $41.6-million salary cap next season, $2.1 billion in revenue would give a $43.4-million cap, and $2.2 billion would bring on a $45.3-million cap. If attendance dips in the coming months and revenues instead total $1.9 billion, the cap would be $39.8 million next season.

''I know historically the projections we get at this point in the season, they could still be two, three, four per cent off,'' Bettman said after the four-hour session. ''And so what we did is, with some degree of comfort and intuitiveness, said this is where we think we're going to be. But I think it looks pretty clear that it's going to start with a two ($2 billion or more).

''Clearly the cap is going up this year and that's good for everybody.''

It's certainly good news for the players. The maximum salary this season was $7.8 million under the $39-million cap because no player can earn more than 20 per cent of the cap figure. A $45-million cap would raise the maximum to $9 million.

But more importantly, the 12 per cent escrow payments the players have been forking over since the beginning of the season could all be coming back if revenues end up over $2.05 billion.

''It goes back to the players,'' said Bettman. ''If you were making a million dollars and we had $100,000 or $60,000, you get it back with interest. The money's not just sitting in cash in a vault.

''The money is being appropriately invested.''

If revenues hit $1.9 billion this season, the escrow payment drops to 6.9 per cent and if revenue hits $2 billion, the escrow payment would only be 1.7 per cent.

Other issues on the agenda Thursday:

- The owners ratified minor changes to the penalty shootout, allowing as of now a more expanded role for video review. This comes as a result of Jeremy Roenick's ''double-hit'' earlier this season when he scored on what appeared to be two shots on goal. Now refs will do a video review on any controversial shootout goal.

- Sources indicated a hot topic was revenue sharing, with some owners complaining about the way it's going to be decided although there's nothing that can be changed now that it's in the CBA. The top 10 revenue teams pay into the revenue sharing fund and the bottom 15 clubs share it.

- There was no decision taken on expanding to 20 teams for the playoffs instead of the current 16.

''We made a lot changes this year and as it relates to the scheduling format as well, everybody said, `Let's take our time,''' Bettman said. ''We'll keep it as a back-burner issue. We'll look at it, but not now.

''Let the season play out as it is and to the extent that we want to make any adjustments, we can do it in the future.''

- Colin Campbell, the NHL's director of hockey operations, addressed owners on the new rules and crackdown on hooking and holding.

''Everyone wants us to stay the course,'' Campbell said. ''It has been tough at times. There have been some tough calls and calls that have certainly decided games late but everyone wants us to stay the course.''

- A report on the state of franchises in St. Louis (still for sale), Anaheim (new ownership) and Pittsburgh. The Penguins need a new arena within a year or they're gone. The Penguins are hoping to win a gaming licence for slot machines which they'll use to fund the new arena.

''We've been saying that for a long time and we have a plan that's tied to gaming,'' said Penguins president Ken Sawyer. ''But it will be an unbelievable plan, the best in the history of Pennsylvania for the public sector. So we think it's a no-brainer. But it will take at least a year to find out if our gaming partner wins the licence.

''We're not leaving Pittsburgh until June 2007 at the earliest.''

But the big story of the meetings was the salary cap. GMs must now adjust to the new landscape. Most of them thought the cap was going to go down next season.

''I think everybody in this business was probably looking at next year the cap possibly coming down or staying the same,'' said St. Louis Blues GM Larry Pleau. ''Now all of our thought processes looking forward is definitely going to be different.''

Not all clubs will use the new limit next season. Some teams have budgets and won't spend to the new maximum.

''That's absolutely correct,'' said Montreal Canadiens owner George Gillett. ''We're operating in an economic reality. We're trying to recover from huge losses over the years. And I don't think that you recover by automatically going to the high end of the game.''

Much of the same from Ottawa Senators president Roy Mlakar.

''We've always worked under a budget,'' Mlakar said. ''When you look at Ottawa, we've always produced a budget for ownership and tried to be responsible, understanding that we're a small-market team. We're trying to build our revenues, we're doing a pretty good job of that. We're probably in the middle of the pack. And now we're top 10 in attendance and that's good news.''

But spending up to $45 million next season is likely not in the cards, even if it means keeping free-agent star defencemen Zdeno Chara and Wade Redden.

''We're going to have to make a long run in the playoffs to be a financially successful franchise,'' said Mlakar. ''So we've got some hard decisions for sure.''

Columbus Blue Jackets GM Doug MacLean said the new cap figure won't influence things too much in his case either.

''It's not going to affect us because we're not going to get there anyway. But it's always interesting to see what the competition is going to be though and what the gap (in payrolls) is going to be.''

But for a team like the Leafs, life is good again.

''Hopefully it will restore a little more of the competitive advantage we had on the financing side which will be nice,'' said MLSE president and CEO Richard Peddie.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:44 PM   #432
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I found the higher cap to be a pleasant surprise. Great news, IMO.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #433
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

after a few weeks of super joey T, i have just one comment:

WHAT THE HELL WAS BOSTON THINKING!!

This guy makes our team so much better its not even funny. His passing alone was worth the three guys we gave up!

What he did to the caps last night was just wrong! 5 goals a game since he got here...man...im getting to excited, watch out pacific!
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:16 PM   #434
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

I hate the mighty Ducks, that goal was B.S., they gotta come to the tank on tuesday, our crowed has got something for em!
Old 12-19-2005, 12:13 PM   #435
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ Bronco
after a few weeks of super joey T, i have just one comment:

WHAT THE HELL WAS BOSTON THINKING!!

This guy makes our team so much better its not even funny. His passing alone was worth the three guys we gave up!

What he did to the caps last night was just wrong! 5 goals a game since he got here...man...im getting to excited, watch out pacific!

I said oconnell was a idiot to do that trade the sharks made out like bandits and now we have thornton to worry about in our Conference.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:01 AM   #436
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Great fight here gratton vs peters....
Please don't link direct on these just down load em.

http://hfhelper.hockeyfights.com/cf1...rs_gratton.wmv
Old 12-20-2005, 11:03 PM   #437
Raidersbane
Perennial Pro-bowler

I miss Peter the Great!

I miss Adam Foote!

And I miss Saint Patrick!

There, I just needed to say that........
Raidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:08 PM   #438
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Revenge against the mighty fuqs was sweet, they got run out of the building. St louis on friday, could be fun.

Looking ahead, got the Avs at the months end...
Old 12-22-2005, 02:14 PM   #439
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidersbane
I miss Peter the Great!

I miss Adam Foote!

And I miss Saint Patrick!

There, I just needed to say that........

I miss mario from 10 years ago

i miss kovie

i miss robert lang

i miss kasper

i miss naslund

damn my pens suck
Old 12-22-2005, 07:45 PM   #440
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

The Avs are in need of a major shake up. They just played one of the worst periods of hockey I've ever seen (2nd Period vs. Minnesota). If not for Peter Budaj's excellent goaltending the Wild would have scored 7 or 8 goals in that period alone.

The defense is turning over the puck left and right. Liles, Vaananen, Blake, Clark, Breisbois, it doesn't matter who's out there, they're getting burned.

I'm also getting tired of watching Tanguay play. He makes so many little mistakes out there, it's amazing. He's got all the talent in the world, has accomplished so much in his career, yet he's always fugging up. I'd start entertaining trade offers for Alex Tanguay if I were Pierre Lacroix. This season is a lost cause, anyway. It's obvious we're a last place team in the Northwest Division.

I hope Aebsicher gets traded after the roster freeze, also. Budaj and Kolesnik are by far the better goalies, at least this season.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:35 PM   #441
Jori
US Olympian

I have no comment Breck other then I love your sig!
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:42 PM   #442
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
The Avs are in need of a major shake up. They just played one of the worst periods of hockey I've ever seen (2nd Period vs. Minnesota). If not for Peter Budaj's excellent goaltending the Wild would have scored 7 or 8 goals in that period alone.

The defense is turning over the puck left and right. Liles, Vaananen, Blake, Clark, Breisbois, it doesn't matter who's out there, they're getting burned.

I'm also getting tired of watching Tanguay play. He makes so many little mistakes out there, it's amazing. He's got all the talent in the world, has accomplished so much in his career, yet he's always fugging up. I'd start entertaining trade offers for Alex Tanguay if I were Pierre Lacroix. This season is a lost cause, anyway. It's obvious we're a last place team in the Northwest Division.

I hope Aebsicher gets traded after the roster freeze, also. Budaj and Kolesnik are by far the better goalies, at least this season.
Lots of valid points there. I'd agree about Tang, and I'm a huge fan of Hejduk but man he's been almost non-existent this year as well. I also echo the sentiments about Aebi.

I'll take the 2 points even if it was ugly and close and the illegal goal was thrown in for good measure.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:50 PM   #443
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
I have no comment Breck other then I love your sig!
Thanks. I had to pay tribute to Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen is a comedic genius). Hopefully Vitaly Kolesnik can live up to Borat's high standards in coming to America . So far I think he's played pretty well, but his 3-3 record doesn't show it.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:52 PM   #444
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

At the Avs game tonight, fun game to watch though I definitely thought the Wild played a better game.

That said, another 4 points (19 G and 19A) for Ovechkin tonight and the only goal in the shootout. 5 points clear with a game in hand.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #445
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
At the Avs game tonight, fun game to watch though I definitely thought the Wild played a better game.

That said, another 4 points (19 G and 19A) for Ovechkin tonight and the only goal in the shootout. 5 points clear with a game in hand.
I caught the end of that one and the shootout. Ovechkin was worth the price of admission by himself yet again. That shootout goal was a thing of beauty. He gave the little kick fake and then fired a laser over Garnett's shoulder.

I can't wait to see what this kid can do once they put some talent around him.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:00 PM   #446
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

I shudder to think where the Avs would be if not for Marek Svatos.

There's only a few guys on the club who are pulling their weight; Sakic, Kolesnik, Budaj, Tanguay (needs to pick it up more, though), Laperierre, Turgeon, Laaksonen, Brunette.

There's only one guy that's going above and beyond expectations; Marek Svatos.

And there's a whole bunch of guys who are playing bad hockey either lately or for the entire season; Aebischer, Hejduk, Blake, Liles, Vaananen, Brisebois, Skrastins, May, Hinote, Boughner.

Maybe I'm being too hard on the defensemen since they are putting up a lot of points, but it just seems like they are leaving their goaltenders out to dry way too often. With Aebischer giving up so many soft goals you can't also expect him to face so many good scoring chances. At least Budaj and Kolesnik are not giving up cheap goals and making tough saves more often than not.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:04 PM   #447
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

That game should have been over in the 2nd period. The Avs got completely outplayed and outworked, but they got bailed out by Peter Budaj. He stopped 18 of 19 shots and the majority of them were high quality chances.

Of course the Avs got a major break when no one decided to go upstairs on McLean's "goal." I can't believe that Roloson didn't raise hell with the referees and make them go upstairs on that one.

I guess you take the breaks as you get them, but the Avs got away with taking a period off and a goal that wasn't a goal. Not exactly an encouraging win to say the least.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:08 PM   #448
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
That game should have been over in the 2nd period. The Avs got completely outplayed and outworked, but they got bailed out by Peter Budaj. He stopped 18 of 19 shots and the majority of them were high quality chances.

Of course the Avs got a major break when no one decided to go upstairs on McLean's "goal." I can't believe that Roloson didn't raise hell with the referees and make them go upstairs on that one.

I guess you take the breaks as you get them, but the Avs got away with taking a period off and a goal that wasn't a goal. Not exactly an encouraging win to say the least.
And a questionable penalty on Willie Mitchell for shooting the puck into the stands with 2 minutes left in the game, leading to a 5-on-3 for the last 2 minutes. (I couldn't believe the Avs were trying to score there when all they had to do was play keep away; by shooting the puck they gave Minnesota a chance to gain possesion and try to tie the game)

For all the times as fans we complain about the referees losing the game for our teams, this time I can say my team got lucky because of the refs. I'll take it, that's for sure.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:05 AM   #449
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

ovechkin is awesome - if you caps want talent, please take gonchar back... PLEASE!!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 09:25 AM   #450
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

For the Faggy Sens fan!

BTW....... Flyers beat the Sens last night. So, 2 games between to Sens and Flyers thus far..... Flyers 2-0.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote