The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #4101
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

I have to admit I was completely wrong about Edmonton's trade for Dwayne Roloson. I thought they severely overpaid for Roli and that seemed to be true the first few weeks after the trade while he was struggling with the Oil. Now giving a first round pick to Minnesota doesn't look like a bad trade at all for Kevin Lowe and company. It just shows you how bad Ty Conklin and Jussi Markannen were.

Way to go, Oilers. I really want to see a Buffalo/Edmonton SCF's, but I hope at least one of the conference finals turns out to be a good series.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:42 AM   #4102
Jori
US Olympian

Tampa Bay shows Brad Richards the money

http://www.tampabaylightning.com/tbl...releaseID=1345

5 years/ $39 million

So Tampa will have about 20 million committed to three players next year in Richards, St Louis, and Lecavalier.

It wouldn't surprise me to see St Louis shipped off for a guy like Giguere or Nabokov.

One thing is for sure, contact negotiations with Tanguay will get more interesting. Both players are 26, have had similar regular season careers and one great playoff year, Tanguay in 01, Richards in 04 (won Conn Smythe). Obviously winning the Conn Smythe gives Brad a fairly significant edge. Still, you have to wonder if Tanguay's camp will be asking for at least $5 million per season. I'm really beginning to believe that Alex may be shipped out if things get ugly.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:48 AM   #4103
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I think they ship vinny
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #4104
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
Tampa Bay shows Brad Richards the money

http://www.tampabaylightning.com/tbl...releaseID=1345

5 years/ $39 million

So Tampa will have about 20 million committed to three players next year in Richards, St Louis, and Lecavalier.

It wouldn't surprise me to see St Louis shipped off for a guy like Giguere or Nabokov.

One thing is for sure, contact negotiations with Tanguay will get more interesting. Both players are 26, have had similar regular season careers and one great playoff year, Tanguay in 01, Richards in 04 (won Conn Smythe). Obviously winning the Conn Smythe gives Brad a fairly significant edge. Still, you have to wonder if Tanguay's camp will be asking for at least $5 million per season. I'm really beginning to believe that Alex may be shipped out if things get ugly.

Ship em' out. I wouldn't mind seeing Mighty Mouse in Avs colors. I know it won't happen......just wishin.....
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #4105
Jori
US Olympian

According to ESPN.com (EJ Hradek), Francois Giguere is the leading candidate to become the new GM of the Avs. According to his blog, Giguere has met with Lacroix a couple of times the past few days.

For those not familiar with Francois, he is currently the assistant GM in Dallas, but was with the Avs/Nords organization from 90 to 01.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #4106
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

****ty showing for buffalo so far.... i still take edmonton and buffalo in the stanley cup
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #4107
Jori
US Olympian

That goal Miller allowed to Williams was just brutal. He was due for an off night and the missing bodies for Buffalo finally caught up. This series has been much more entertaining then Anaheim/ Edmonton. Canes and Sabres are just a joy to watch.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:48 AM   #4108
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

That game pissed me off. Buffalo was coming back and had a few mad rushes, then all the sudden Carolina scored to make it 4-1.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #4109
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

The cup finals are going to be mother nature (hurricanes) Vs. Big Oil (The Oil)
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #4110
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

According to Spectors (so take it for what it's worth), a rumor going around is that the Isles are so desperate to dump Alexei Yashin's contract (5 years and $30 million remaining) that they're dangling the 7th overall pick in the coming draft out there to anyone who'd be willing to take Yashin off their hands.

So you can basically get the 7th pick in the draft for pennies on the dollar, but that catch is that you'll have $6 million in cap space eaten up for the next 5 years by one of the most notorious floaters in the NHL.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #4111
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
According to Spectors (so take it for what it's worth), a rumor going around is that the Isles are so desperate to dump Alexei Yashin's contract (5 years and $30 million remaining) that they're dangling the 7th overall pick in the coming draft out there to anyone who'd be willing to take Yashin off their hands.

So you can basically get the 7th pick in the draft for pennies on the dollar, but that catch is that you'll have $6 million in cap space eaten up for the next 5 years by one of the most notorious floaters in the NHL.
I'd do it if this draft was as good as 2003.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #4112
Jori
US Olympian

I've heard that rumor as well. I doubt any team would bite. There is really only one player I'd want to move up for in this draft and that's EJ and he'll be long gone by pick #7.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #4113
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
I'd do it if this draft was as good as 2003.
Even then I'd be very hesitant. If I knew that I could maybe shame Yashin into retiring before he hits 35 years old, I'd consider it. But he didn't get the name Ca$hin for nothing. I have no doubt he'll hang around and collect every penny while contributing very little. In the age of the salary cap, that'd be real tough to have that much money tied up in a player that you can't even count on to give you an honest effort.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #4114
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
I've heard that rumor as well. I doubt any team would bite. There is really only one player I'd want to move up for in this draft and that's EJ and he'll be long gone by pick #7.
Even with the Avs glaring lack of defense prospects, I'd still move up for Kessel if it were plausible. This league is now tailor made for a player of his speed and skill. I'd grab him and relax knowing that the heir to Joe Sakic's spot as the top line center was taken care of.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:12 PM   #4115
Jori
US Olympian

That's a good point. Sakic isn't going to play forever. However, I'm not fully convinced Kessel will be a center in the NHL. It's all mute any way. No way Kessel falls to #7. It looks like there will be some solid D in this draft and one should drop to 18.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:13 PM   #4116
Jori
US Olympian

The crowd singing 'O Canada' in Edmonton almost brought a tear to my eye. That was truly beautiful.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #4117
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
That's a good point. Sakic isn't going to play forever. However, I'm not fully convinced Kessel will be a center in the NHL. It's all mute any way. No way Kessel falls to #7. It looks like there will be some solid D in this draft and one should drop to 18.
Pretty much, unless the trade for the 7th pick was the precursor to another deal to move up to #2 (which is where Kessel will likely go).

I'm still of the mindset that I'd like to see the Avs dangle the 18th pick & Alex Tanguay out there and see how far they can move up. Then take the $$ they would have spent on Tanguay and spend it on a free agent defenseman.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #4118
Jori
US Olympian

That's an interesting proposal. Tanguay may become difficult to sign and if that's the case, the Avs could dangle him in a trade.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:23 PM   #4119
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Anaheim is getting murdered.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:38 PM   #4120
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Not so fast. 4-3 Oilers as the Ducks score 3 quick ones to get back in it.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:40 PM   #4121
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Not so fast. 4-3 Oilers as the Ducks score 3 quick ones to get back in it.

I turned the channel! AHHHH!
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:45 PM   #4122
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

This is ridiculous. You cant have 8 seeds winning Cups. I dont particularly care for Carolina or Buffalo but now I am forced to root for them.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:46 PM   #4123
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco
This is ridiculous. You cant have 8 seeds winning Cups. I dont particularly care for Carolina or Buffalo but now I am forced to root for them.
Sure you can. If you couldn't, there'd be no point in having the playoffs.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #4124
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Sure you can. If you couldn't, there'd be no point in having the playoffs.
There is a point to having a tournament. If a team wants to overturn an entire season of very mediocre play merely with 16 wins, than it should be as hard as possible for them to get those 16 wins, not merely having a home ice disadvantage of 1 game (assuming the series goes the full 7). That's not enough of an advantage for the teams that worked hard to excel throughout the season. Its not an issue of well the higher seed should win anyway....anyone can get hot for a short stretch and anyone can win a tight game with a bounce or two. If there is a large gap in regular season performance between two clubs who are facing off in a round, we should go out of our way to make it as difficult as possible for the lower team to advance. If your going to get a get out of jail free card for the entire season, than you really better earn it (beyond merely winning 4 games) in that 4-7 game stretch.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 PM   #4125
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco
There is a point to having a tournament. If a team wants to overturn an entire season of very mediocre play merely with 16 wins, than it should be as hard as possible for them to get those 16 wins, not merely having a home ice disadvantage of 1 game (assuming the series goes the full 7). That's not enough of an advantage for the teams that worked hard to excel throughout the season. Its not an issue of well the higher seed should win anyway....anyone can get hot for a short stretch and anyone can win a tight game with a bounce or two. If there is a large gap in regular season performance between two clubs who are facing off in a round, we should go out of our way to make it as difficult as possible for the lower team to advance. If your going to get a get out of jail free card for the entire season, than you really better earn it (beyond merely winning 4 games) in that 4-7 game stretch.
The Oilers have had it tougher than any other team and they've overcome it. They had to face a team that was the favorites to win it all coming in, a team that looked like a machine during the regular season, they beat them. They had to face the team that was the hottest down the stretch in round 2, they beat them. They're now facing a team that knocked off the defending Conference champions and looked dominant in sweeping through the Avs in round 2, and they're beating them. All of this without home ice advantage.

They shouldn't have got this far, but they have. I can't do anything but tip my cap to them. They've earned it.