The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2006, 11:45 PM   #4076
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Beat those duckies.

Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:50 PM   #4077
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Did somebody step on a duck?
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:19 AM   #4078
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman
You can tell that team had some rust to shake off tonight as they get smacked down 3-1.

HA!! What goes around comes around. Those long layoffs can bite you in the ass...as we found out. Way to go Oil, 3 more!
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #4079
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
You don't get it. This is one guy who can't play well enough ever to gain absolution from Av fans. Never. And to say anyone in Colorado would EVER want to see someone else "bertuzzied" is also just plain wrong. Sorry ames. I never want to see a repeat of that. No matter who wears what sweater for what team.

Sure....
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #4080
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Team haliburton wins.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #4081
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

I really hope the Oilers put Burke back where he belongs.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #4082
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman
Did I say Ducks in 5? Is it too late to change that to Ducks in 25? Good lord, Edmonton ran circles around them tonight. And once again, Edmonton gets another short-handed goal.
Bryzgalov looked average in net for a change. You can tell that team had some rust to shake off tonight as they get smacked down 3-1.
Well, went to the game. Pez, Ducks werent as bad or Edmonton as good. Well, Oilers played very well and kept the middle neutral zone shut down. Shots on goal werent bouncing the right way for rebounds. Ducks played very physical and it cost them one of those goals. My hope is if they keep up on the pounding of the boards, somebody will get gun shy and turnover the puck.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #4083
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Here's a fun fact. A team from the Northwest division has been in the Western Conference Finals each of the last 7 seasons.

1999 Colorado
2000 Colorado
2001 Colorado
2002 Colorado
2003 Minnesota
2004 Calgary
2006 Edmonton
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #4084
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Briere scores for the Sabres. 2-1 Buffalo.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:34 PM   #4085
Jori
US Olympian

3-1 Sabres...McKee (would love to see him in burgundy and royal blue next year).
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #4086
Jori
US Olympian

White boy with the fro (aka Commodore) pulls the Canes within one.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #4087
Jori
US Olympian

Sabres hold on to take game one...great game.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #4088
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Good game today between the Sabres and Hurricanes. After watching the games today and last night it just doesn't feel like the conference finals with these 4 teams. Hopefully they build up some hatred and go 7 games.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #4089
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I'm glad Sid looks like he is going to be okay. I heard it was a pretty dirty play. I'm also glad that he looks like a lock to win the tourney scoring title and MVP. I wish they would have left that thug on the ice a little longer so a Canadian could take a hack with his stick at the back of his knee.

Quest for Double Gold: Sweden edges Canada

The Swedes had a 5-2 lead before Canada came roaring back

By Andrew Podnieks

In a high tempo, run-and-gun affair, Sweden held on for a 5-4 win over Canada tonight in front of 8,845 fans at Riga Arena to earn a spot in tomorrow night's gold-medal showdown with Czech Republic.

The game was not without controversy, as Mika Hannula (the hat trick hero for Sweden in the quarter-finals) was given a game misconduct for a vicious cross-check to the jaw of Sidney Crosby while the 18-year-old phenom was celebrating a goal near the end of the second period. After the videotape was reviewed, Hannula was assessed a match penalty and given an automatic one-game suspension by the tournament directorate.
"I'm a little banged-up, but luckily it's not serious," said Crosby. "In big games you just have to keep playing."

Mika Hannula was suspended for cross-checking Crosby, but the tournament scoring leader finished the game

Nonetheless, the Swedes will try to become the first nation in IIHF history to win World Championship gold the same year it won Olympic gold. Canada, meanwhile, will battle Finland for the bronze.

With the win, Sweden also guaranteed that it will retain its #1 spot atop the IIHF World Rankings.

Crosby, meanwhile, with a goal and assist tonight, is almost certain to make history as the youngest player in modern IIHF World Championship history (i.e., since 1954) to win the scoring title. He has 16 points. Linemate Patrice Bergeron has 14 points, and Czech forward David Vyborny and Finnish defenceman Petteri Nummelin are the next closest with 10 points each. All have one game left to play, tomorrow.

Swedish goalie Johan Holmqvist outdueled Canada's Marc Denis and Alex Auld

"Obviously it's tough to lose," said Crosby. "You never like to lose. Some bad penalties, some lucky breaks went their way."

Niklas Kronwall, Jorgen Jonsson, Tony Martensson, Mikael Samuelsson and Jonas Nordquist scored for Sweden, while Michael Nylander had three assists.

Kyle Calder, Mike Comrie, and Patrice Bergeron had Canada's other goals.

Goalie Johan Holmqvist made 28 stops for Sweden. Marc Denis and Alex Auld split the netminding duties for Canada, which faced 25 Swedish shots, with Auld replacing Denis after Sweden's fifth goal.

"It wasn't power plays or penalty-killing that dictated this game," said Canadian captain Brendan Shanahan. "It's tough right now because our hearts were set on gold. But when the puck drops tomorrow, we'll play to win."

Sweden jumped out to the early lead just 1:27 into the game when Michael Nylander won the draw cleanly from Crosby in the Canadian end, and Niklas Kronwall ripped a slapshot from the point over the glove of Denis.

Jorgen Jonsson made it 2-0 just 4:11 into the game on the power play. Canadian defenseman Brad Stuart stopped a Swedish rush, but in the process he swatted the puck right onto Jonsson's stick in the slot, and he ripped another great shot past a helpless Denis.

"We knew they would come out fast," said Canadian defenseman Trevor Daley. "They're a possession team. They like to control the puck. But I think we regrouped and battled back hard."

"We took care of business in that period," said Sweden's Mikael Samuelsson. "It's always easy to play with the lead, I think."

Canada came right back at 8:11 when Mike Richards made a sensational pass from the blueline with his back to the goal. He spun and threw it in front to Kyle Calder, who was all alone. Calder controlled the puck, spun, and flipped it into the net vacated by Johan Holmqvist, who had tried to pokecheck the puck from Calder.

The scoring continued and the Swedes went up 3-1 on a flukey play. Tony Martensson barrelled down the right side and took a wrist shot that Denis blocked, but the puck hit Stuart and rolled into the net before either the goalie or defenceman could prevent it from crossing the line. It was not Stuart's finest period of the tournament.

Canada drew within one again on the power play later in the period courtesy of a remarkable move by Sidney Crosby to draw the penalty. He took a pass while cutting through the slot but was hooked down by Jonas Nordquist. On his knees, he slipped the puck through Nordquist's legs, got up on the back side of the Swede, and controlled the puck. It was a brilliant little move that gave Canada another 30 seconds of play with the extra man and Denis on the bench on the delayed penalty.

With the man advantage, defenceman Dan Hamhuis broke his stick on a shot from the point, but as he went to the bench to get a new one, Holmqvist bobbled the puck and it landed behind him. Mike Comrie smacked it into the empty goal to make it 3-2.

The Swedes went up by two goals again just 1:33 in the second on a harmless-looking play. After some great stickhandling in the corner from Michael Nylander, Per Hallberg's wrist shot from the point was deftly deflected in front by Mikael Samuelsson between Denis' legs.

A similar play at 2:41 made it 5-2. Ronnie Sundin simply took a wrist shot from the blueline and Denis couldn't control the rebound and the defence couldn't handle Jonas Nordquist, who backhanded the rebound into the net. This spelled the end for Denis, and Alex Auld took to the ice for the first time since giving up six goals against the Czech Republic last Sunday. Auld was flawless the rest of the way for Canada.

With enough goals for victory, the Swedes spent the rest of the period playing defense. They sent only one man deep, bottled up the middle, and prevented Canada from establishing possession in the Tre Kronor end. As a result, the Canadians had difficulty moving the puck or generating speed coming out of their own end.

In the final minute, however, all hell broke loose. Defenceman Dan Hamhuis kept the puck in at the Swedish blueline and fired a quick shot toward the goal. It went well wide but the rebound came out the back side perfectly onto Crosby's stick. Holmqvist stopped the initial shot but Crosby went to the net and jammed home the rebound. While Crosby was off balance and celebrating his goal, Mika Hannula viciously cross-checked him to the jaw, and as Crosby fell to the ice in pain, all the remaining players became embroiled in pushing and shoving.

"When a key player makes a big goal like that and someone hits him, of course we're going to get upset," said Daley. "But I think it shows the character we have on this team. We have a good bunch of guys in the room who stick up for each other."

When the dust had settled, Hannula was assessed a five-minute major for checking to the head and an automatic game misconduct. A woozy Crosby went to the dressing room.

Crosby returned to start the third and announced his health by getting a breakaway just seconds from the faceoff. He was stoned this time by Holmqvist on this rush. Not the next time, though. Crosby made a sensational pass behind the Swedish goal back against the grain to linemate Patrice Bergeron and he drilled it top shelf to the far side to make it 5-4.

"It was a fun game to play," said Samuelsson. "But it was a tough game in the end. We made a mistake by backing off. We didn't have the puck as much as we did in the early part of the game."

"They're never going to give up," said Nylander of the Canadians. "They came back 5-3, 5-4, and they put us back on our heels a little bit when the game was on the line, but we got by with one goal. We're lucky, and happy about it."

In the last five minutes, the Swedes laid back and trapped and got the puck deep in the Canadian zone whenever possible. With a minute and a half left, Canada pulled Auld for the extra attacker, but the Swedes managed to clear their zone several times, and Jeff Carter couldn't tip the puck past Holmqvist with eight seconds left.

Sweden is moving on to the gold medal game and Canada will have to settle for a stab at bronze. In the championship match at 20.15, Sweden will wear yellow and the Czechs red. The referee will be Peter Jonak. The third-place battle at 16.15 will feature Canada in white and Finland in blue, and Richard Schutz will be the referee.

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/artic...wc?&artId=2448

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 05-20-2006 at 06:06 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #4090
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Damn i didn't hear about that, glad to hear he is ok.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #4091
Jori
US Olympian

I saw the highlights of that game. I'm hearing that Hannula may be suspended for the gold medal game.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #4092
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
Good game today between the Sabres and Hurricanes. After watching the games today and last night it just doesn't feel like the conference finals with these 4 teams. Hopefully they build up some hatred and go 7 games.

I didn't watch the game today, but I was thinking the same thing. There just weren't enough game 7's this playoff year. Game 7's are the ultimate....when my team isn't involved.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #4093
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Good news on the likelihood of consummating the transfer agreement this summer.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...ews%2f23835%2f
Old 05-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #4094
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Once that deal is signed, the cup is ours!
Old 05-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #4095
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I just watched the blood match from 1997.

I miss Severin
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:21 PM   #4096
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Go Oil.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:31 PM   #4097
Jori
US Olympian

Oil go up 2-0 in the series.

See what good defense and great goaltending will get you? Hopefully we have the goaltender, now lets work on that defense PL and puppet GM!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #4098
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

IMO, Roloson going to the Oil is looking like the best trade deadline deal. He's been awesome for them.

Only 2 more wins and you're SCF bound, Oil.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:51 PM   #4099
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
Oil go up 2-0 in the series.

See what good defense and great goaltending will get you? Hopefully we have the goaltender, now lets work on that defense PL and puppet GM!
I'm still leary of that word - hopefully. But a better defense will help the net minder, too.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:38 AM   #4100
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

...that Ales Hemsky's a mad puck-handler...
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote