The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2006, 08:48 PM   #3776
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Oil up 1-0 after 1 .............15-2 oil lead in shots.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #3777
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
Perhaps fans are overexaggerating, but the Avs haven't found any consistent secondary scoring in the playoffs since he left. In 02-03 and 03-04 only Sakic and Forsberg consistently produced for the Avs during the post season. This year, the Avs top line was great in the Dallas series, but Tanguay (outside of game three) was nowhere to be found. The Ducks shut down the Sakic line and Tanguay continues to be non-existent. Yes, Drury will always be an average regular season player, but there is no denying he stepped up in the playoffs. It was up to guys like Tanguay and Hejduk to fill the void and they have not stepped up to the plate.
I hear what you're saying, but Drury's legend has seemingly almost reached mythical proportions in the last three years. Honestly, you'd think that he scored every game winning goal in every playoff game he played in when he was here to listen to some in this city. I always want to ask them where he was in 2002 when the Avs got shut out in games 6 & 7 by Detroit. Why didn't "Clutch" come to the rescue then?

Drury is a nice player and he did score a few big goals for this team, but it gets annoying when people are so uninformed that they convince themselves that the only thing wrong with the Avalanche is the absence of Chris Drury. It reminds me of when the Avs traded Deadmarsh and then all of a sudden people morphed him into Cam Neely in their minds.

The Morris/Ballard trade bothers me a hell of a lot more than the Drury trade.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #3778
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Well, it sucks. Really does, but whatever.

I'm not one to make excuses, but when you're best player (Hasek) is out, and the backup isn't getting the job done, you won't last in the playoffs.

SoCal, how's the dog house
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:07 PM   #3779
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson
Well, it sucks. Really does, but whatever.

I'm not one to make excuses, but when you're best player (Hasek) is out, and the backup isn't getting the job done, you won't last in the playoffs.

SoCal, how's the dog house

Ahahahahaha! Who was sucking Emery off a scant month or so ago? I don't believe it was any of us.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #3780
Jori
US Olympian

The Ballard trade is a bad one as well, no argument there.

Chris Drury is my favorite player, so I do come off as biased talking about him. Yet, I don't think it was the actual trade of Drury that was so bad, it that nobody has replaced that secondary scoring. That's where Tanguay and to a lesser extent Hejduk have failed

While Drury may have legendary status in the minds of some (ahem John Buccigross), some did underrate him saying that he only produced because of Forsberg. He outplayed Forsberg in the Sabres/Flyers series and look what he is doing in the series against Ottawa. Drury is one of those players who elevates his game when the times get rough. Until the Avs can find some consistent secondary scoring in the playoffs, Drury's name will continue to be brought up (especially now that he has found new playoff success in Buffalo).

Last edited by Jori; 05-10-2006 at 09:10 PM..
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:14 PM   #3781
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Bring back any memories?

Quote:
Even with Emery in net the Sens are still the best team in the league. Emery is an awesome goalie, and he'll have a chance to prove himself in the playoffs.
Quote:
How about the sens without Hasek? 10-1-1 in the last 12 games. Emery has been awesome, and looks to be a star in the future.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #3782
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
The Ballard trade is a bad one as well, no argument there.

Chris Drury is my favorite player, so I do come off as biased talking about him. Yet, I don't think it was the actual trade of Drury that was so bad, it that nobody has replaced that secondary scoring. That's where Tanguay and to a lesser extent Hejduk have failed

While Drury may have legendary status in the minds of some (ahem John Buccigross), some did underrate him saying that he only produced because of Forsberg. He outplayed Forsberg in the Sabres/Flyers series and look what he is doing in the series against Ottawa. Drury is one of those players who elevates his game when the times get rough. Until the Avs can find some consistent secondary scoring in the playoffs, Drury's name will continue to be brought up (especially now that he has found new playoff success in Buffalo).
No love for Derek Morris? I actually miss having him back there. Maybe I'm a bit biased there because I gained a great measure of respect for Derek Morris when he was the only Avalanche player with the balls to publicly rip Bertuzzi & the Canchokes the night that they ended Steve Moore's career. He was traded two days later and I still wonder if that was a coincidence or not.

Drury wasn't a creation of Peter Forsberg, but it certainly didn't hurt playing alongside him. Even then, Drury's points per game in the postseason is only slightly better than Hejduk's (though way better than Tanguay's). So I don't think it's fair to classify Hejduk as having failed to contribute. Tanguay on the other hand......

I have to wonder if we'd be having this conversation or if people around here would be back in mourning over Drury if Marek Svatos was in the lineup. The injuries have hampered him, no question, but when he was healthy he had a knack for racking up game winning goals. He even notched an OT winner in the '04 playoffs. I'm not saying he'd be the Avs savior, but they'd certainly be more dangerous with him on the ice. Here's to hoping that he can come back full strength next year and stay healthy. This league is now set up for players like him to succeed.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #3783
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I forgot all about Morris sticking up for Moore. I cheered for Morris to be traded. I knew when he actually got traded, I'd end up being sorry he was gone one day.

Speaking of Clodd....a funny thing happened at my house today. I had taken all my kids to school and come back and was looking at the piles of papers they had brought home. I saw a hockey card sitting on top of one pile. Our school had some has been hockey player here a couple of months ago and he had given out cards, so I assumed it was his.

I picked it up and OH MY GAWD, it was a Todd Bertuzzi card! I about **** myself. I showed it to my husband and he about laughed himself silly over it. I called my son over and asked him what it was. The poor sweet misguided boy that he is, he said he had gotten to pick a prize and he saw a hockey card, so he picked it out for me.

I gave him a big hug, told him thank you, and that man is the devil.

Ahhh kids.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #3784
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn
I forgot all about Morris sticking up for Moore. I cheered for Morris to be traded. I knew when he actually got traded, I'd end up being sorry he was gone one day.

Speaking of Clodd....a funny thing happened at my house today. I had taken all my kids to school and come back and was looking at the piles of papers they had brought home. I saw a hockey card sitting on top of one pile. Our school had some has been hockey player here a couple of months ago and he had given out cards, so I assumed it was his.

I picked it up and OH MY GAWD, it was a Todd Bertuzzi card! I about **** myself. I showed it to my husband and he about laughed himself silly over it. I called my son over and asked him what it was. The poor sweet misguided boy that he is, he said he had gotten to pick a prize and he saw a hockey card, so he picked it out for me.

I gave him a big hug, told him thank you, and that man is the devil.

Ahhh kids.
His heart was in the right place.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:39 PM   #3785
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Ahahahahaha! Who was sucking Emery off a scant month or so ago? I don't believe it was any of us.
Not like your team is doing any better
Old 05-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #3786
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

If the Oilers don't come from behind in this one we could be looking at a Moses Malone "Fo, fo, fo, fo" second round.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #3787
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Not like your team is doing any better

Yes, I realize that. All of us Avs fans also didn't come in at the beginning of the season and blather on constantly about how mighty our team was and how they were going to win it all this year, and on, and on, and on.

We never expected our team to get this far,so in all reality, we're doing better than expected. Yours on the other hand....well, you know.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #3788
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Yes, I realize that. All of us Avs fans also didn't come in at the beginning of the season and blather on constantly about how mighty our team was and how they were going to win it all this year, and on, and on, and on.

We never expected our team to get this far,so in all reality, we're doing better than expected. Yours on the other hand....well, you know.
Please. . . You would've done the same if Avs were top 2 in the West.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:49 PM   #3789
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Please. . . You would've done the same if Avs were top 2 in the West.
No, actually I don't believe any of us here would have. We know better.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #3790
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
No, actually I don't believe any of us here would have. We know better.
Good one
Old 05-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #3791
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
His heart was in the right place.
It was. It was a shocking way to start my morning.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #3792
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Good one

Maybe there are some here that would have done it. I doubt it, but I was speaking for myself. I know how that karma **** works. You brag about your team and they go down. No thank you. Humility is the name of the game.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #3793
BIM
Hello from Montucky!!

Whats the series? No sarcasn please.
BIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #3794
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
No love for Derek Morris? I actually miss having him back there. Maybe I'm a bit biased there because I gained a great measure of respect for Derek Morris when he was the only Avalanche player with the balls to publicly rip Bertuzzi & the Canchokes the night that they ended Steve Moore's career. He was traded two days later and I still wonder if that was a coincidence or not.
Morris will always be one of my favorite players for being so critical of Bertuzzi the night of the incident. I also appreciated that he wasn't a great fighter but still dropped the gloves when a non-fighter teammate needed help. IMO he has never been the same since David Ling's one nasty punch broke his orbital bone.

I believe Morris was traded less than 10 hours after the Bertuzzi incident -- that infamous game ended late Pacific Time and the trading deadline was in the afternoon the next day.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #3795
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIM
Whats the series? No sarcasn please.
Us = 0, them = 3.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #3796
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
I believe Morris was traded less than 10 hours after the Bertuzzi incident -- that infamous game ended late Pacific Time and the trading deadline was in the afternoon the next day.
You're right, it was literally hours afterwards. I didn't understand the trade then and it makes even less sense now.

Getting Paul Stastny out of that deal softens the blow somewhat, but it still doesn't make our thin defense any better in the here and now.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #3797
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

oil score 2-2
Old 05-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #3798
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Going to OT...... bonus hockey!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #3799
Jori
US Olympian

Quote:

Drury wasn't a creation of Peter Forsberg, but it certainly didn't hurt playing alongside him. Even then, Drury's points per game in the postseason is only slightly better than Hejduk's (though way better than Tanguay's). So I don't think it's fair to classify Hejduk as having failed to contribute. Tanguay on the other hand......

I have to wonder if we'd be having this conversation or if people around here would be back in mourning over Drury if Marek Svatos was in the lineup. The injuries have hampered him, no question, but when he was healthy he had a knack for racking up game winning goals. He even notched an OT winner in the '04 playoffs. I'm not saying he'd be the Avs savior, but they'd certainly be more dangerous with him on the ice. Here's to hoping that he can come back full strength next year and stay healthy. This league is now set up for players like him to succeed.
I liked Derek Morris, I just didn't think he was the same player after he got into that fight and broke his orbital bone. I think the emergence of Liles made Morris expendable in the eyes of the Avalanche, though throwing in Ballard was a dumb mistake.

I thought Svatos was great in the series against Dallas in 03-04, the problem is that he disappeared in the San Jose series. The only players to consistently produce were Sakic in Forsberg. If you go back to the idea that some people had about Drury's production being a reflection of Forsberg, why didn't anybody else step up other then Sakic and Forsberg in that San Jose series? The lack of secondary scoring was a big reason why they lost to the Sharks in 2004.

Again, this may be my bias showing through, but I always felt that Drury's goals were more timely. Hejduk had that type of magic in his rookie season when he scored those two overtime goals in the San Jose series in 99, but Milan hasn't had that kind of moment since that time. Those types of moments from Drury came much more often.

I certainly hope Svatos can develop into that guy. However, I happen to think the Avs do have that type of clutch performer in their system; however, he's currently playing for the University of Denver. Much like Drury, Paul Stastny seems to have that "it" factor.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:24 PM   #3800
Pezman
Livin the dream

Andy did you hear about this one?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

I sense double ot for this Oilers/Sharks game... ah screw it, lets see this thing go at least 4 extra frames just for fun