The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2006, 01:15 AM   #3726
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Seriously, this Chuck Norris (and Tedy Bruschi) type of stuff is getting out of hand.

I read this on HFBoards...

Haha, Bob McKenzie just said on TSN that...

...Fedoruk, Getzlaf, Penner and the rest of the Ducks' big guys could beat up Chuck Norris.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #3727
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X
Brisebois has done the impossible...

He's made Martin Skoula look good.

ouch!!! bwahahaha!
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:03 AM   #3728
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc

The Ducks are going to win multiple Stanley Cups with their current nucleus.

lol! now that was way over the top.....

give me a break
Old 05-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #3729
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

yeah, that's what the pens are going to do.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #3730
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
yeah, that's what the pens are going to do.

just as soon as you guys quit drafting at the #1 or #2 spot every year.....

f'n draft day day cheaters!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #3731
defenseman
Ring of Famer

2007 record pred. (7-9)

Well , two things:

Next year mr. Lacroix needs to wake and smell the new NHL. #1 the fact that the clutching and grabbing is virtually done with, speed (and to a degree size) is the killer now. Still need size on the team in addition to VERY solid defense. Size and speed on the defense is a must. That said, my recommendations for next year:

Defense:
Color these possibly gone: Sauer, Boughner, possibly Brisebois. (Brisebois played overall very good last nite, he DID make a key mistake though trying to hit Sakic with a 3 on 2 outlet).

Forwards:
Color these possibly gone: Dowd, Laperriere, McLean, AND if they can get a top fight DEFENSEMAN for Tanguay , TRADE HIM. Turgeon is outta here also.

Goaltenders: Theodore stays put, Budaj as backup.

Who does that leave?

Defenseman: Blake, Clark, (Finger), Liles, Skrastins,Vaananen.....
Minor leaugers: Boychuk(work in progress)
Slovak(won't be ready next year)

In short, they need to pick up at least 3 fast skating , hard hitting defenseman before they drop the puck for the season opener to allow for 6 D of reasonable quality. Not happenin folks....

Forwards: Brunette, Hejduk, hinote, Kono, Laaksonen, May, McCormick, Richardson, Sakic, Wolski, Svatos. Minor leaugers: Parshin, Hemingway. Thats about it.....they need at least 4 top forwards before training camp AND at least two MUST be good scoring threats.......Not happenin folks...

Goalies: Stay put.

Summary: Guess what? UNLESS Sakic and Blake and others aren't willing to take some hefty pay cuts, the Avs aren't going anywhere anytime soon. bottom line is , the ducks shutdown sakic, AND tanguay , hejduk and the rest of our "designated" scoring threats disappeared. Pierre MUST get at least two "no-s**t" scoring threats to surface consistently.
It's TOUGH beating a solid , fast and big skating team like the Ducks with FIVE defenseman, ain't happenin. Coach Q has tried and look where it's got them. Good skating solid Defensively Defenseman aren't that easy to come by AND they are expensive. See maybe one more showing up thats it.

FUTURE: Lacroix had better get the cap straight and quick. Second, he better stop bringing in hired guns to shore up the team. If they do go out and get some players, they had better be for the future, NOT FOR a year or two. And the Avs and the fans are paying the price now for the NON CAP era and Lacroix's trading of draft picks for hired guns. It has caught up with us is the bottom line.

So what do we do? UNLESS, a major pay cut is taken by the big money on the AVS hockey club, I'm predicting out of the playoffs for the next year or two. Not fast enough, not enough scoring punch, and a defense, with a few exceptions that has only 4 or 5 consistent defenseman. Can't win the cup with that.........................dman
defenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #3732
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

haha, don't hate - appreciate!

They are going to be fun next year.

Crosby, Malkin (best player in the world not in the NHL), fluery, brooks, whitney and whomever else we draft this year.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #3733
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Where to start...At least it was a great game. I just got back from Pepsi Center after sitting in the best seats I've ever had for an NHL game. .
hey, how was the crowd around you?...for one of the best hockey games I've watched all year, it looked like on TV that half the lower bowl would rather be doing something else after each colorado goal or TV timeout......I can't remember ever seeing this in a playoff game at the Can.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #3734
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I can't believe that Brad May came into the lineup and provided a real spark with his hitting and energy, while Pierre Turgeon came back and took 3 real dumb penalites and was a liability all night. You'd think the guy who's best known for putting a bounty out on a player would be the one taking dumb penalites and the guy who's scored over 500 NHL goals would provide a spark.

Since the start of 2006 I've attended a handful of games featuring my favorite teams. My record;

Broncos 0-1 (AFC Championship loss)

Avalanche 0-4 (including one in Calgary)

DU Hockey 0-4 (including shocking playoff loss to Minnesota St.)

Rockies 0-3 (did get to see Mr. Popular hit #709 at Coors)

Sometimes it sucks being a sports fan.
Sounds like you better quit going to games.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #3735
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Defense:
Color these possibly gone: Sauer, Boughner, possibly Brisebois. (Brisebois played overall very good last nite, he DID make a key mistake though trying to hit Sakic with a 3 on 2 outlet).
Possibly Breezeby?! Possibly?!!! I hope with everything that I have that Breeze is on the first train out of here. He's had a few great flashes, the rest have been bonehead plays that have cost us important games. ( See last night's game. )

Quote:
Forwards:
Color these possibly gone: Dowd, Laperriere, McLean, AND if they can get a top fight DEFENSEMAN for Tanguay , TRADE HIM. Turgeon is outta here also.
Dowd has been a very solid pick up. He's cheap and he's a decent face off man. I hope that Lappy stays put as well. He had a career season and his grit is needed. He hasn't been that great in the playoffs, but there's been mention of an injury. Tang can get the hell out too. I'm sick of him not showing up when we need him, or worse yet showing up for the other team.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:33 AM   #3736
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn
Possibly Breezeby?! Possibly?!!! I hope with everything that I have that Breeze is on the first train out of here. He's had a few great flashes, the rest have been bonehead plays that have cost us important games. ( See last night's game. )

Dowd has been a very solid pick up. He's cheap and he's a decent face off man. I hope that Lappy stays put as well. He had a career season and his grit is needed. He hasn't been that great in the playoffs, but there's been mention of an injury. Tang can get the hell out too. I'm sick of him not showing up when we need him, or worse yet showing up for the other team.

Now when i think back we should have kept drury instead od tanguay.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #3737
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

damn straight, and i've argued that before, and people just want to give me #'s for his regular season production.....
Old 05-10-2006, 09:54 AM   #3738
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
Now when i think back we should have kept drury instead od tanguay.

Yep. Of course hindsight is 20/20, but I was pissed when Dru was traded.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #3739
Jori
US Olympian

Trading Drury and Ballard were probably Lacroix's worst two moves. Ballard is a stud and would look wonderful on our blue line right now.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Dowd back. Lappy is under contract next season. I think he's injured. From the start of the playoffs, Quenneville inexplicably stopped using on the PK. Unless he's in the dog house for peeing in Q's cereal, something smells fishy.

In terms of prospects, don't expect much help. The Avs best prospects are in college and are a couple years away. This team has no quality defensive prospects and I would expect them to use the next couple of drafts to shore up the blueline depth. Tanguay could be used to acquire a young defenseman if contract talks get nasty.

I think and hope that Turgeon will retire. I don't hate the guy, but clearly, he needs to hang up the skates.

I'd like to see May and Brisebois shipped out. Boughner wont be resigned. Sauer is young, but too slow for the new NHL. Liles is a liability, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. The Avs will use their cap room to improve the blueline. Luckly, this is a good free agent crop for defenseman.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #3740
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
I think and hope that Turgeon will retire. I don't hate the guy, but clearly, he needs to hang up the skates.

I'd like to see May and Brisebois shipped out. Boughner wont be resigned. Sauer is young, but too slow for the new NHL. Liles is a liability, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. The Avs will use their cap room to improve the blueline. Luckly, this is a good free agent crop for defenseman.
If Turgeon can't see that he's finished, then he needs to go on the injured list with Alzheimers. He's had a nice career, but his skills have eroded and his lack of speed makes him a liability in the new NHL.

Brad May needs to go the way of Jim Cummins (who I hear has started his own cider business, Cummins Cider ).

I fear that we're stuck with Breezeby and his salary. I just can't see anyone taking his soft, timid ass and his 2.25 million dollar cap number off of our hands.

Hopefully Lacroix is ready to commit the Avs free agent dollars to defense. They need it and there's going to be plenty of it out there.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #3741
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Avs homepage shows that Vanaanan will be back for game 4. Now all we need is Svatos back by game 7 .
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #3742
defenseman
Ring of Famer

2007 record pred. (7-9)

I'm thinking there is a buyout clause of some of these contracts. they need to look hard at this ...dman
Old 05-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #3743
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A
Avs homepage shows that Vanaanan will be back for game 4. Now all we need is Svatos back by game 7 .
I can only hope that Vaananen's return means that Breezeby will be scratched, but I'm pretty certain that it'll be Kurt Sauer sitting in the press box.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:26 PM   #3744
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenseman
I'm thinking there is a buyout clause of some of these contracts. they need to look hard at this ...dman

I'm not 100% positive, but I think that was a one time deal for this year....now you can still buy out a players contract, but they will still count against your cap.....anyone know for sure?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #3745
defenseman
Ring of Famer

2007 record pred. (7-9)

I hope your wrong militia, if we are going to come up with a "gameplan" to correct the avs woes during the offseason, we certianly need the correct parameters to do so. "Pierre , listen up when we are talking to you"..dman
Old 05-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #3746
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenseman
I hope your wrong militia,
no doubt
Old 05-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #3747
Jori
US Olympian

The buy out/ no cap hit was only for last summer so that teams could get under the new cap system. Now if you buy out a player, it's a cap hit. What I don't know for sure is if the full amount of the player's salary will count against the cap or whether it's a percentage.

However, there is another option. You can waive the player, if that player is claimed by another team, the new team would be responsible for the salary. If the player clears waivers, you can send them to your AHL team and while you still have to pay the player at an NHL salary, it wont count against the cap. I believe this rule is for players who have one way contracts. A guy like Richardson has a two-way contract, but he would only get an AHL salary if he were to play in Albany next year (and in his case, wouldn't have to clear waivers).
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #3748
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
The buy out/ no cap hit was only for last summer so that teams could get under the new cap system. Now if you buy out a player, it's a cap hit. What I don't know for sure is if the full amount of the player's salary will count against the cap or whether it's a percentage.

However, there is another option. You can waive the player, if that player is claimed by another team, the new team would be responsible for the salary. If the player clears waivers, you can send them to your AHL team and while you still have to pay the player at an NHL salary, it wont count against the cap. I believe this rule is for players who have one way contracts. A guy like Richardson has a two-way contract, but he would only get an AHL salary if he were to play in Albany next year (and in his case, wouldn't have to clear waivers).
thanks
Old 05-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #3749
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:

Fine by me. Enjoy Albany, Patricia.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #3750
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn
Oh I love the down and out and the pi$$ed off
Hmmm, never heard this one before. I thought we were just passive, bandwagoners. How can we be like Flyer fan?
If you weren't the Man with handling my Diego tickets, I'd slap you for that one. I've taken that loss rather well I think although I can't speak for the rest of my Flyer brethren.

That said, I'm taking great pleasure in watching Buffalo deal on Ottawa

F' THE SENS!!!!
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote