The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2006, 10:19 AM   #3051
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
Back on subject. Has there been a more fun Avalanche team to watch (besides the two Cup winners)? This Colorado team is always a threat to score and never gives up when they're down. It's amazing to think they've beaten Dallas when trailing by a goal with less than 2 minutes remaining in the third period two times in a row. The Stars hardly ever lose a thrid period lead, let alone in back to back playoff games.

Joe Sakic and Rob Blake are playing like they're 28, not in their late-30's. Andrew Brunette has gone from the answer to a trivia question (who scored the last goal on Patrick Roy) to a very important player on a rejuvinated team. Skrastins and Clark are the most unlikely shutdown defense pairing I've ever seen. Give Lacroix credit for getting those two guys for nothing. Even Brisebois had a strong game.

Alex Tanguay had two goals, including the game winner, but needs to get his head back in the game. He's taking way too many penalties in the offensive zone. He almost cost the team again tonight after taking another stupid penalty at the end of a second period. Hejduk didn't help by taking another penalty after Tanguay's, but at least he was on the PK and trying to make something happen (Blake would have had a breakaway if the ref swallowed his whistle).

As far as Theodore, he's letting in a lot of flukey goals and screened shots. He hasn't had a chance to face a lot of easy shots and get into a grove. It seems like either the Avs block the Dallas shots or they will get through on a screen. I think Theo's biggest problem is his smaller size; bigger goalies like Roberto Luongo give shooters less open net when they're being screened.

I hope some of the Dallas players like Mike Modano and Jason Arnott give up before game 4. Lord knows Bill Geurin already has. I'd like a relatively easy game after two emotional, overtime wins.
Boy I rarely disagree with ya Bronc but I'm going to have to take you to task on this one:

The Stars hardly ever lose a thrid period lead, let alone in back to back playoff games.

Quite contrary to that this past season the Stars gave up the lead in several games in the third. Then they played the OT cautious to get to the Shoot Out. Take away 12 SO wins and their numbers are pretty close to the Avs.

I'm also going to stand up for Tanquay. The guy is coming off an injury and still playing on a bad knee. He said himself he's not back in condition yet. He's at least half a step slow but he has heart and he's such a conscientious guy. I don't think it's head not in the game as much as it's his body.

I'm also worried that right now the best goalie we have is Skrastins...

And in the coming back from injury category word has it Kono has been skating hard. He probably needs some time to get his legs back but wouldn't it be sweet if he made it back to get some ice time.

Last edited by Tredici; 04-27-2006 at 10:26 AM..
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #3052
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn
im posting here.
You know what? You're absolutely right John....retired my azz, I'm posting hockey stuff only here from now on as well....damn the Man, save the General Hockey Thread!!
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #3053
Jori
US Olympian

The earliest Konowalchuk could return is IF the Avs made it to the conference finals.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #3054
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Yeah! What Hogan said!
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:44 AM   #3055
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I guess I never heard much on Kono's injury originally, but why such a long rehab? How bad was it?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #3056
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I've got a point to make and while it probably won't be a popular one, I'm puttin it out there.

Pez said the reason that this thread was being retired was due to bandwidth constrictions and because it had gotten too big. Take note of the size of the NPN thread and its size, and it hasn't been moved or semi retired.

I'm just sayin here.....
Old 04-27-2006, 12:02 PM   #3057
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn
I guess I never heard much on Kono's injury originally, but why such a long rehab? How bad was it?

I think tendons were separated from the bone.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #3058
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
Boy I rarely disagree with ya Bronc but I'm going to have to take you to task on this one:

The Stars hardly ever lose a thrid period lead, let alone in back to back playoff games.

Quite contrary to that this past season the Stars gave up the lead in several games in the third. Then they played the OT cautious to get to the Shoot Out. Take away 12 SO wins and their numbers are pretty close to the Avs.

I'm also going to stand up for Tanquay. The guy is coming off an injury and still playing on a bad knee. He said himself he's not back in condition yet. He's at least half a step slow but he has heart and he's such a conscientious guy. I don't think it's head not in the game as much as it's his body.

I'm also worried that right now the best goalie we have is Skrastins...

And in the coming back from injury category word has it Kono has been skating hard. He probably needs some time to get his legs back but wouldn't it be sweet if he made it back to get some ice time.
After looking at the stats, Dallas lost when winning after two periods 5 times this season, the second most in the NHL (St. Louis lost 9 times). I was thinking of those Dallas playoff teams with Eddie Belfour when making that statement. And it's still incredible to win back-to-back playoff games when trailing with less than two minutes to play in regulation.

Tanguay knows he can't take offensive zone penalites in close playoff games. I don't care if he's playing without an arm or spleen or foot, that's a mental mistake just like Brendan Morrow made with a minute left in the third. Tanguay's trying too hard to make something happen and it's cost the Avalanche at the end of the second period in games 2 & 3. I doubt he'll make the same mistake a third time.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #3059
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default All hail the monkey

who is smarter than the ESPN twits.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=2288

Maggie - the furry, crab-eating macaque from the Bowmanville Zoo - has returned to the NHL on TSN.

In 2003, she quickly became a hero in the hockey world, picking the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to reach the Stanley Cup Final with the spin of a wheel. Having picked other big winners through three rounds of the playoffs, Maggie enjoyed new-found fame as the sport's wisest prognosticating primate.

The Stanley Cup simian was not as successful in her 2004 postseason run, though she did pick the Tampa Bay Lightning and Calgary Flames to meet in the Final. Maggie then picked Darryl Sutter's squad to take it all, but Lightning head coach John Tortorella had other ideas as Tampa Bay won the Cup in seven games.

The NHL lockout gave our little friend some time to recharge, and now she's ready to start all over again for the 2006 Playoffs.

Check the link for her current picks....
Old 04-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #3060
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_Beerslug
"It's the way it's been for us in the series. The bounces haven't gone our way," Dallas goaltender Marty Turco said. "We have to find a way to win Game 4" Friday night in Denver.
Turco must not have been watching the second period of game 2.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #3061
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
who is smarter than the ESPN twits.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=2288

Maggie - the furry, crab-eating macaque from the Bowmanville Zoo - has returned to the NHL on TSN.

In 2003, she quickly became a hero in the hockey world, picking the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to reach the Stanley Cup Final with the spin of a wheel. Having picked other big winners through three rounds of the playoffs, Maggie enjoyed new-found fame as the sport's wisest prognosticating primate.

The Stanley Cup simian was not as successful in her 2004 postseason run, though she did pick the Tampa Bay Lightning and Calgary Flames to meet in the Final. Maggie then picked Darryl Sutter's squad to take it all, but Lightning head coach John Tortorella had other ideas as Tampa Bay won the Cup in seven games.

The NHL lockout gave our little friend some time to recharge, and now she's ready to start all over again for the 2006 Playoffs.

Check the link for her current picks....
2006 1st round picks: TB CAR NYR BUF DET COL CGY SJ
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:06 PM   #3062
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia
2006 1st round picks: TB CAR NYR BUF DET COL CGY SJ
I would bet Bob McKenzies picks would improve if you feed him some crab.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #3063
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
And it's still incredible to win back-to-back playoff games when trailing with less than two minutes to play in regulation.
I believe we've now found the Avalanche version of

"We've got them just where we want them".

Old 04-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #3064
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
The earliest Konowalchuk could return is IF the Avs made it to the conference finals.

And then he probably wouldn't have any legs. Still like to think about how much more potent this offense could have been if he and Marek could've stayed healthy.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #3065
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

That's a karma thread that has been around since the very beginning MT....it is an institution here.

It is much larger than this one is though.....

Last edited by Hogan11; 04-27-2006 at 02:39 PM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:30 PM   #3066
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Ridiculously potent.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #3067
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

How would you set the forward lines if the Avs were fully healthy? It's pretty tough to take out two guys for Kono and Svatos they way we're playing.

Brunette-Sakic-Hejduk - this line is too hot to split up
Konowalchuk-Wolski-Svatos - lots of offensive potential here
Tanguay-McLean-Laperriere - they've been great together
Laaksonen-Dowd-Hinote - awesome energy and defensive fourth line

Sit Turgeon and Richardson. Pierre just isn't producing anymore. I'm impressed with how smart Richardson is out on the ice and he'll be an important part of Colorado's future, but there's too much talent to keep him in this lineup.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #3068
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I know, I know...but if it was just all about size constraints, I'm just sayin. Plus it's offseason, and onseason for hockey.

I'm done griping about it now.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #3069
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Yeah, Turg seemed to hit his peak at the beginning of the season and really haven't seen much of him since then.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:31 PM   #3070
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

I pulled this from the dallasnews.com

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...r.fa79d31.html

Theodore not flashy, but he's 3-0

By BRIAN FORBES / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

DENVER – Montreal continues to hang over Colorado Avalanche goalie Jose Theodore.

Traded in March from a fishbowl existence in Canada, Theodore still works under the shadow of Patrick Roy's gigantic No. 33 jersey hanging from the Pepsi Center's rafters.

Roy left the Canadians and carried the Avalanche to two Stanley Cups, while Theodore's ability to carry any team since 2001 has been the subject of endless debate.

But after Wednesday's 4-3 overtime victory at the Pepsi Center, Theodore has what every playoff goalie wants at this time – a 3-0 series lead.

Theodore made just 19 saves and did nothing but sit and watch in overtime as the Avalanche came out flying before Alex Tanguay's game-winner 69 seconds in.

Theodore once again outdueled Marty Turco and the Stars in their most desperate moments.

"I thought Dallas tonight played their best game so far," Theodore said. "They came at it, they were moving the puck around, jamming the net and getting a lot of traffic in front of me."

Perhaps that was the only thing Theodore was missing Wednesday – a big save that would buoy his teammates and home fans that have embraced him more out of commitment than conviction.

"[Theodore] is playing very well," said Ian LaPerriere, who assisted on Tanguay's game-winner. "He's looking sharper and sharper every game."

He was unflappable under fire during Dallas' last power play of the third period and made arguably his best saves of the night in the second period to stop Jaroslav Svoboda and Brenden Morrow.

Much of Theodore's load was shouldered by his teammates, who did a good job occupying the shooting lanes and dropping bodies in front of potential shots.

They also protected – or at least delayed – their new netminder from facing any questions about his ability to protect his new home ice in the playoffs.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #3071
Tredici
Ring of Famer

I think the coaching of Quennie coming from the gritty defenseman perspective is starting to show. Hopefully the defense keeps it up and Jose can continue to enjoy the ride. Then when it's about him stepping up, he'll be ready.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:44 PM   #3072
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Spezza to Havlat to Heatley; what a pretty goal. Spezza and Havlat are going off so far these playoffs.

I hate to say it, but Denver-boy John Grahame is not a very good goalie.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:27 PM   #3073
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Lucky a**ed wingies kronwall kicks a puck in and they count it.

Last edited by Bronx33; 04-27-2006 at 08:29 PM..
Old 04-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #3074
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

The Wings just don't seem to want it too bad this year.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:43 PM   #3075
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Spezza to Havlat to Heatley; what a pretty goal. Spezza and Havlat are going off so far these playoffs.

I hate to say it, but Denver-boy John Grahame is not a very good goalie.
Perhaps...but his team isn't playing very well in front of him. You give the Sens any space, or take bad penalties...they're going to bury you. They've skated circles around the Lightning...and their toughs have drawn penalties.

Hopefully we won't have to see how Tay-O-Door fares under similar circumstances...

The Senators are a bunch of sharks circling the nets...they look hella strong.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote