The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 12:27 AM   #3026
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain
 
Breck Bronc's Avatar
 
The Gunslinger

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo
He didn't have a clue on either Stu Barnes' or Zubov's goals. Neither were screened.
The Zubov 5-on-3 goal was scored because of a great Morrow screen.

Theo hasn't had to be great in the 3 wins and I don't think he's had a chance to be great in the first 3 games.

If we win this series we'd either face Legace and the Wings, Mason and the Predators, Toskala and the Sharks, or Gigeure and the Ducks (we can't face Calgary or Edmonton is the second round due to seeding). The only goalie of those four that is definitely better than Theo is Gigeure. Toskala is an unknown at this point and I'd be much more scared of Thornton, Cheechoo and Marleau than their goalie.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:30 AM   #3027
Pendejo
The off-season.
 
Pendejo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,911

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
Iam just saying woulda coulda shoulda really don't matter if your going to chew somebody out it would probably be PL the one who made the deal, i really don't think it was for this year of the playoff run because PL knows we don't have what it take to go the distance. But more likely for next season, theo is worth the money i guess that yet to be seen but i wouldn't use his proformance in the playoffs as a tell all see all for the future.
I don't think I've chewed anyone out. I just don't think Theodore is very good. I hope I'm wrong. He can't use his huge pads anymore, and I don't think that he's ever going to live up to his Vezina billing. I thought he didn't deserve that trophy as it was.

My whole point is that he owes it to his teammates not to look like an amateur on half the shots he faces, or when he plays the puck. Hell...earlier tonight he stole a puck from Tanguay, and turned it over.

You're right in saying that the trade was Lacroix's fault...all I said is that Tay-o-door is paid better than Aebischer, and now he needs to play like that.

I hope that by the time the playoffs are over for the AVS you get to rub this in my face. In a perfect world it would be with a Stanley cup ring plugging up one of tay-o-door's ears.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:32 AM   #3028
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
The Zubov 5-on-3 goal was scored because of a great Morrow screen.

Theo hasn't had to be great in the 3 wins and I don't think he's had a chance to be great in the first 3 games.

If we win this series we'd either face Legace and the Wings, Mason and the Predators, Toskala and the Sharks, or Gigeure and the Ducks (we can't face Calgary or Edmonton is the second round due to seeding). The only goalie of those four that is definitely better than Theo is Gigeure. Toskala is an unknown at this point and I'd be much more scared of Thornton, Cheechoo and Marleau than their goalie.

Man! this kinda reguards Pendejo post
goal 1 - oddman rush yes theo got over a split second too late but almost got it, he can't leave the puck handler until the pass is underway.
goal 2 - total screen
goal 3 - The puck deflected off clarks stick what the heck is he suppose to do?
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:32 AM   #3029
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bigfork, MT
Posts: 8,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
The Zubov 5-on-3 goal was scored because of a great Morrow screen.

Theo hasn't had to be great in the 3 wins and I don't think he's had a chance to be great in the first 3 games.

If we win this series we'd either face Legace and the Wings, Mason and the Predators, Toskala and the Sharks, or Gigeure and the Ducks (we can't face Calgary or Edmonton is the second round due to seeding). The only goalie of those four that is definitely better than Theo is Gigeure. Toskala is an unknown at this point and I'd be much more scared of Thornton, Cheechoo and Marleau than their goalie.

If I could pick, I'd take Nashville, and the Oil second.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:34 AM   #3030
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo
I don't think I've chewed anyone out. I just don't think Theodore is very good. I hope I'm wrong. He can't use his huge pads anymore, and I don't think that he's ever going to live up to his Vezina billing. I thought he didn't deserve that trophy as it was.

My whole point is that he owes it to his teammates not to look like an amateur on half the shots he faces, or when he plays the puck. Hell...earlier tonight he stole a puck from Tanguay, and turned it over.

You're right in saying that the trade was Lacroix's fault...all I said is that Tay-o-door is paid better than Aebischer, and now he needs to play like that.

I hope that by the time the playoffs are over for the AVS you get to rub this in my face. In a perfect world it would be with a Stanley cup ring plugging up one of tay-o-door's ears.

Fine lets see if theo can start to get into a groove in his 8th game.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:39 AM   #3031
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bigfork, MT
Posts: 8,484
Default

I'm putting my faith in Theo, but it's shaky. I'm being honest here. You can look back at his season before he came to us and the heel break and it was definitely less than stellar.

I certainly hope he returns to Vezina/Hart form even if they weren't deserved. ( I'm not saying they weren't. )
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:45 AM   #3032
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata
 
Clockwork Orange's Avatar
 
I seen him!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 21,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn
I certainly hope he returns to Vezina/Hart form even if they weren't deserved. ( I'm not saying they weren't. )
I'll say it, he didn't deserve the Hart or the Vezina.


Hart

Vezina

Last edited by Clockwork Orange; 04-27-2006 at 12:47 AM..
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:45 AM   #3033
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain
 
Breck Bronc's Avatar
 
The Gunslinger

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
Man! this kinda reguards Pendejo post
goal 1 - oddman rush yes theo got over a split second too late but almost got it, he can't leave the puck handler until the pass is underway.
goal 2 - total screen
goal 3 - The puck deflected off clarks stick what the heck is he suppose to do?
I agree. I don't think Theo has let in any horrible goals. The two he let in game 1 he had no chance on. The first 3 Dallas goals of game 2 were off weird bounces. I do think he should have had Modano's goal at the end of the second period in game 2. I don't think he had much of a chance on all 3 goals tonight.

All I know is he's made every stop in the third period and overtime in this series (of course it helps when the Stars hit the post in the first overtime game and didn't even get a shot on goal in the second).
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:48 AM   #3034
Pendejo
The off-season.
 
Pendejo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,911

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
I'll say it, he didn't deserve the Hart or the Vezina.


Hart

Vezina
Just the two men I was thinking of.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:49 AM   #3035
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain
 
Breck Bronc's Avatar
 
The Gunslinger

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
I'll say it, he didn't deserve the Hart or the Vezina.

That's better . And Theo wouldn't have won those two trophies had Roy elected to play in the Olympics and not piss off all those Canadian general managers.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:50 AM   #3036
ClevelandBronco
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Freedonia
Posts: 1,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo
I don't think I've chewed anyone out. I just don't think Theodore is very good. I hope I'm wrong. He can't use his huge pads anymore, and I don't think that he's ever going to live up to his Vezina billing. I thought he didn't deserve that trophy as it was.

My whole point is that he owes it to his teammates not to look like an amateur on half the shots he faces, or when he plays the puck. Hell...earlier tonight he stole a puck from Tanguay, and turned it over.

You're right in saying that the trade was Lacroix's fault...all I said is that Tay-o-door is paid better than Aebischer, and now he needs to play like that.

I hope that by the time the playoffs are over for the AVS you get to rub this in my face. In a perfect world it would be with a Stanley cup ring plugging up one of tay-o-door's ears.
I'm with Pendejo on this one. I'm not even close to being convinced that Theo is an upgrade. Too many wild looks over his shoulder when one whistles past him. Too many rebounds. No puck handling skills to speak of. I just want to see a return on investment before I buy in.

Aebi would punch a guy in the junk in a heartbeat if he skated too close. I doubt I'll ever see that kind of scrap coming from Theo. He just b****es to the refs after anyone comes close.
ClevelandBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:56 AM   #3037
Pendejo
The off-season.
 
Pendejo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,911

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
I agree. I don't think Theo has let in any horrible goals. The two he let in game 1 he had no chance on. The first 3 Dallas goals of game 2 were off weird bounces. I do think he should have had Modano's goal at the end of the second period in game 2. I don't think he had much of a chance on all 3 goals tonight.

All I know is he's made every stop in the third period and overtime in this series (of course it helps when the Stars hit the post in the first overtime game and didn't even get a shot on goal in the second).
Ok. I will retreat. Every goal the stars have scored in this series has either been unstoppable, or a fluke. He's had no chance.

I'm clearly getting to much into the negative here...as the team is playing their best hockey of the season. I admit that I am simply not a Theodore fan, and I think his earlier success was a product of yes his ability, but also his huge pads. I think a good deal of the time he looks lost in the net, and he fights the puck like Watermock fights the barmaid at last call.

Just watching these games, and I see the effort the team is putting out there in front of him, and I want to believe that when the team breaks down, or simply can't get anything going...that he'll steal a game.

I just don't think he looks very good. And on the Stu Barnes goal he was flat out late...not a split second. It wasn't a laser, and it wasn't a perfect shot...he should have made the save. (Edit: I don't think there is a goalie in the world that could have made the save on that Texas leaguer of a shot that hit him in the back, and trickled across the line. He was in perfect position)

But the bottom line is the AVS are winning, and I hope that Tay-o-door proves me wrong.

Last edited by Pendejo; 04-27-2006 at 12:58 AM..
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:04 AM   #3038
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,604

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

im posting here. GO DUCKS! Thursday night comeback. Love to play the AVS in the semi finals. Low seeds make great hockey.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:43 AM   #3039
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vail
Posts: 16,296

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo
Just the two men I was thinking of.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:51 AM   #3040
Jori
US Olympian
 
Jori's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,627
Default

I share some of Pandejo's reservations regarding Theodore. His strength is his athleticism; he has very quick feet. I don't think the reduction in his pads has hurt him, I think the smaller glove has definately been a factor. He doesn't have a great glove hand to begin with.

He's a better talent then Aebischer, but he'll be more heavily criticzed then David because of his salary. I don't think it's fair to really judge this trade until after of 06-07 season. Yes, he'll have to play better in the second round if the Avs are to advance, but at this point, anything else the Avs do is a bonus. Nobody would have expected what we have seen this week.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:57 AM   #3041
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep
 
Bronco_Beerslug's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas Riviera, Southern Mountains
Posts: 24,234
Default

Great OT win for the AVs!

-------------------------------------------------
Avalanche all but bury stumbling Stars


Alex Tanguay's overtime goal powered the Avalanche to a commanding 3-0 lead over the Stars on Wednesday

April 27, 2006
DENVER (AP) -- The Dallas Stars' inability to close out a game has them teetering on elimination.

The Colorado Avalanche took a 3-0 lead in their best-of-seven series Wednesday night when they beat the Stars in overtime for the second straight game. This time it was 4-3 on Alex Tanguay's game-winner.

Tanguay attempted a cross-ice pass to Ian Laperriere that went off Willie Mitchell's skate and into the net at 1:09 of overtime, marking the second time in 48 hours the Avs had beaten the Stars after tying the score with a goal late in the third period.

This time, Andrew Brunette tied it at 3 on the power play with less than a minute left in regulation.

"We got a few lucky bounces," Tanguay said. "We're very fortunate."

They're also one win away from sweeping the second-seeded Stars.

"It's the way it's been for us in the series. The bounces haven't gone our way," Dallas goaltender Marty Turco said. "We have to find a way to win Game 4" Friday night in Denver.

The Avalanche have had 3-0 leads in the playoffs twice before and swept both series.

Maybe desperation will shake the Stars from their doldrums, Turco said.

"It's going to be an effort that is unparalleled from what we've seen from our group. Our backs are against the wall. When teams are desperate and guys are desperate, guys seem to play well," he said.

"We're going to expect to win. Nothing has been handed to them yet."

Maybe not, but only two NHL teams have ever overcome a 3-0 playoff deficit and the Stars have never been able to rally from a 2-0 hole since the 1968 quarterfinals, when they were the Minnesota North Stars and came back to beat Los Angeles 4-3.
(CONTINUED)
http://tinyurl.com/otjhp



Dallas Stars goaltender Marty Turco (35) lets a shot from Colorado Avalanche's Joe Sakicslip past as he flops on the ice during the first period of Game 3 of their NHL first-round hockey playoff series at the Pepsi Center in Denver, Wednesday, April 26, 2006. The Avalanche beat the Stars 4-3 in overtime.
(AP Photo/Jack Dempsey)




Dallas Stars goalie Marty Turco, front left, kneels in the crease after giving up the tying goal to Colorado Avalanche left winger Andrew Brunette, back center, to send Game 3 of the teams' NHL Western conference first-round playoff series to overtime in Denver on Wednesday, April 26, 2006. Stars defenseman Sergei Zubov, front center, of Russia, and Avalanche center Joe Sakic, front right, look on. Avalanche right winger Milan Hejduk, back left, of the Czech Republic, and defenseman Rob Blake, back right, join in the celebration.
(AP Photo/David Zalubowski)




Colorado Avalanche center Brett McLean, front left, and defenseman John-Michael Liles, front right, join in with teammates to congratulate left wing Alex Tanguay after his goal in overtime to give the Avalanche a 4-3 victory over the Dallas Stars in an NHL hockey first-round playoff game in Denver on Wednesday, April 26, 2006. The Avalanche lead 3-0 in the best-of-seven series.
(AP Photo/Jack Dempsey)
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:22 AM   #3042
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...
 
BMF Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 11,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME
Default

Here's my two cents on Jose...

We have to realize like Bronx said, it's only his 8th game out of injury, he's going to have some rust, and if this is how he's playing "rusty" I can't wait to see him get into his groove. In addition, we don't need him to be Patrick Roy, we need him to be Hockey's version of Trent Dilfer, just be good enough to get us there and let the team do the rest while at the same time remaining in enough control not to piss it all away. I think we are seeing a way different team than we did in the regular season, they seem to have more intensity. One last thing, funny how Dallas is a different team when the shoot out is taken out of the picture!
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:27 AM   #3043
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF Bronco
In addition, we don't need him to be Patrick Roy, we need him to be Hockey's version of Trent Dilfer, just be good enough to get us there and let the team do the rest while at the same time remaining in enough control not to piss it all away. !
I don't agree...he needs to be as good as Roy. Don't let this single playoff series wash away the sins of this past regular season and the questionable offseason moves.

there's going to be a few time in the playoffs when Theo will have to stand on his head and win a game by himself....so far he hasn't had to, but it's only a matter of time.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:36 AM   #3044
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...
 
BMF Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 11,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia
I don't agree...he needs to be as good as Roy. Don't let this single playoff series wash away the sins of this past regular season and the questionable offseason moves.

there's going to be a few time in the playoffs when Theo will have to stand on his head and win a game by himself....so far he hasn't had to, but it's only a matter of time.
We will agree to diasgree, as I don't think these playoff teams are that of the one's Roy faced, the hated wings at their prime, the Stars with a good goalie, and others.
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:42 AM   #3045
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF Bronco
We will agree to diasgree, as I don't think these playoff teams are that of the one's Roy faced, the hated wings at their prime, the Stars with a good goalie, and others.

I now see where you're coming from....but with the "new" rules and regulations on goalie equipment, a top goaltender will still be the most important player on each team....
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:43 AM   #3046
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...
 
BMF Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 11,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia
I now see where you're coming from....but with the "new" rules and regulations on goalie equipment, a top goaltender will still be the most important player on each team....
Very true!
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:08 AM   #3047
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
I share some of Pandejo's reservations regarding Theodore. His strength is his athleticism; he has very quick feet. I don't think the reduction in his pads has hurt him, I think the smaller glove has definately been a factor. He doesn't have a great glove hand to begin with.

He's a better talent then Aebischer, but he'll be more heavily criticzed then David because of his salary. I don't think it's fair to really judge this trade until after of 06-07 season. Yes, he'll have to play better in the second round if the Avs are to advance, but at this point, anything else the Avs do is a bonus. Nobody would have expected what we have seen this week.

I guess iam being more patient with theo (this year) i share the same reservations as all of you about theo but iam not going to nit pick him when hes only got 8 games under his belt 3 of those being playoff games. (Iam sure billington is working with him daily)

Last edited by Bronx33; 04-27-2006 at 09:11 AM..
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #3048
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
I guess iam being more patient with theo (this year) i share the same reservations as all of you about theo but iam not going to nit pick him when hes only got 8 games under his belt 3 of those being playoff games.

no doubt....
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #3049
Tredici
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
I'll say it, he didn't deserve the Hart or the Vezina.


Hart

Vezina
Tsk Tsk. Mr Gretsky will decide who deserves the trophies. Not something for us commoners to fret over.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #3050
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,114

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
I guess iam being more patient with theo (this year) i share the same reservations as all of you about theo but iam not going to nit pick him when hes only got 8 games under his belt 3 of those being playoff games. (Iam sure billington is working with him daily)
based on his history, i'm beginning to think Theo's an upgrade for you guys. when the deal went down, i thought it looked sketchy but the potential of Theo surpasses anything Aebi could ever do, IMO.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Denver Broncos