The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2006, 10:07 PM   #2551
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut
**** em. I want that dude dead. Once again, the Flyers dominate the OT period and the Refs tried to give the Sobbers another PP.

I want Steve Moore retribution.
Campbell you mean.

Esche was brilliant.....but I had a feeling he wouldn't be able to keep that kind of play up all night. It would've been nice if another line other than the Forsberg one showed up as well......eh, what can you do?
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #2552
Jori
US Olympian

Esche was great tonight.

I sure hope Umberger is okay. It was a brutal hit, but I felt it was clean. Unfortunately for RJ, he had his head down. Though I can understand how Philly fans would be frustrated with that hit. Fun game. I think this is going to be a great long series.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:13 PM   #2553
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
Esche was great tonight.

I sure hope Umberger is okay. It was a brutal hit, but I felt it was clean. Unfortunately for RJ, he had his head down. Though I can understand how Philly fans would be frustrated with that hit. Fun game. I think this is going to be a great long series.

Jori.... I have 2 questions for you:

1- Was I imagining it or, did that gutless punk take 3 strides from center ice to make the hit on a guy without the puck?

2- I know it's technically legal to hit with your shoulder, but, don't you think a shoulder pad made of very strong plastic is worse then an elbow? I'll never understand how the NHL does not view that as a dangerous hit. Amazing, everytime someone gets their clocked cleaned by a shoulder pad, they get hurt. Wake up NHL, before a player dies.

You can call it legal, the fact is, technically it is legal. The fact remains though, it's a chicken ****, cheapshot hit.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:35 PM   #2554
clean
Dazed And Frantic

"Campbell blasted Umberger with a clean shoulder check as the Philadelphia player skated with his head down after taking a pass. Campbell anticipated the play and got his right shoulder down to hit Umberger across the chest and jaw."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=2418488

Last edited by clean; 04-22-2006 at 10:37 PM..
clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:36 PM   #2555
Jori
US Olympian

I'd have to see a replay, but I thought RJ had lost possesion of the puck a second or so before the hit and Campbell would not have been able to stop his momentum.

Clearly Campbell intended to hit RJ, but I'm not sure he expected RJ to have his head down. It was a brutal hit, and it shows how the speed of the game can create such a violent collision. I totally understand the feelings of Flyers fans.

Regarding your second question, you do make an interesting point, but you almost consider an elbow as a weapon moreso then a shoulder (even with the equipment).
Old 04-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #2556
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

You Flyer fans are absolute idiots. That hit was 100% clean. Bunch of losers. Why was your team on the PK? Because the Sabres were kicking the Flyers asses. Love Campbell former 67s star.

North East baby kicking ass.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #2557
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Man, here's the hit

http://rapidshare.de/files/18703077/...tclip.avi.html

I feel for the guy, but it's clean.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:10 PM   #2558
Paladin
Ring of Famer

One game only, but i hope Barry Melrose swallows his mike. Sneers like he knows it all.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:10 PM   #2559
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut
Jori.... I have 2 questions for you:

1- Was I imagining it or, did that gutless punk take 3 strides from center ice to make the hit on a guy without the puck?

2- I know it's technically legal to hit with your shoulder, but, don't you think a shoulder pad made of very strong plastic is worse then an elbow? I'll never understand how the NHL does not view that as a dangerous hit. Amazing, everytime someone gets their clocked cleaned by a shoulder pad, they get hurt. Wake up NHL, before a player dies.

You can call it legal, the fact is, technically it is legal. The fact remains though, it's a chicken ****, cheapshot hit.
I'm not Jori, but I'll answer it for you.

The hit was completely legal. Brutal, but legal. There was no head hunting involved. That's what happens in the stanley cup playoffs when you play the puck with your head down. The guy who hit him didn't take more than the 1 1/2 strides which is legal...anything more is charging. It was text book.

Point number two of this post is just completely stupid. Elbows are far more dangerous. You're only going to take a shoulder to the face if your head is down.

There was absolutely nothing chicken ****, or cheap about that hit. It was 100% above board. Esche was outstanding, but his team let him down.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #2560
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Sounding a lot like whiny Canuck fans after the hit on Naslund.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:16 PM   #2561
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
I'd have to see a replay, but I thought RJ had lost possesion of the puck a second or so before the hit and Campbell would not have been able to stop his momentum.

Clearly Campbell intended to hit RJ, but I'm not sure he expected RJ to have his head down. It was a brutal hit, and it shows how the speed of the game can create such a violent collision. I totally understand the feelings of Flyers fans.

Regarding your second question, you do make an interesting point, but you almost consider an elbow as a weapon moreso then a shoulder (even with the equipment).
Jori...the kid played the puck...then BOOM!!! It wasn't anywhere close to a second...he looked behind him for the pass...it hit his stick...bounced off his stick...then BLAM-O.

There were hits in the AVS/stars game today that were much more in question as far as puck possesion goes...this one was just nasty...

Watch the replay, and you'll agree.

I think Scott Steven's hit on Paul Kariya would have to be classified as far more "dirty" than this one (it was clean)...as the puck was much further away from Paul...
Old 04-22-2006, 11:17 PM   #2562
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn
Sounding a lot like whiny Canuck fans after the hit on Naslund.
This is definitely different mt...Both were clean hits...but this one was gnarly.

That being said...Philly fans just like to whine...I mean if they aren't booing the great Mike Schmidt that is.

(Edit: The Cansucks are all just trick ass b!tches)
Old 04-22-2006, 11:24 PM   #2563
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Ahaahahahhaha! I haven't seen the hit, but with all the whining going on about it, it just sounded like a great thing to say.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:30 PM   #2564
Jori
US Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo
Jori...the kid played the puck...then BOOM!!! It wasn't anywhere close to a second...he looked behind him for the pass...it hit his stick...bounced off his stick...then BLAM-O.

There were hits in the AVS/stars game today that were much more in question as far as puck possesion goes...this one was just nasty...

Watch the replay, and you'll agree.

I think Scott Steven's hit on Paul Kariya would have to be classified as far more "dirty" than this one (it was clean)...as the puck was much further away from Paul...
After seeing the replay on TV, I'm inclined to agree. He looked down as he had the puck and to use a Pierre McGuire term...WHAMMO!

The only hit I had issue with in the Dallas game was Hagman's hit on Sakic. Not only was it stupid, but extremely dangerous considering Sakic's back was turned. Though there was plenty of stupidity to go around in that game...cough ***Steve Ott*** cough.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:31 PM   #2565
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
It's one game, but it was a wonderful performance. It's not so much that the Avs were great defensively, it was their continuous offensive pressure. To me, Dallas looked surprised at what the Avs brought to the table. Dallas will certainly make adjustments. I know Turco will get some of the blame but the forwards didn't help with the back-check and the defenders were swiss cheese.

People forget that the Avs were the fourth highest scoring team in the NHL. The problem all season has been the defense and inconsistent goaltending. That's what makes the Avs so dangerous, if they can tighten things up and get the goaltending, they will not be an easy out.

Dallas will look 100% better on Monday night.

Somebody asked about Wolski. Once Wolski played 10 NHL games, his contact would count agaisnt the cap. Wolski played the first 9 games with the Avs and then he was sent back to juniors. Part of it was the affect against the salary cap, the other was that Wolski needed to work on certain parts of his game. After he was snubbed by the Canadian World Junior hockey team, his coaches in Brampton put him at center and he just took off. He won four straight OHL player of the month awards.

Now that Wolski has been called up and played in his 10th game, his salary wont count against the cap, but the first year of his three year contact has been used. Therefore, he'll become a RFA after 07-08 rather then 08-09. Yet, if he continues the solid play, it'll be worth it. Make no mistake about it, Wolski is the best prospect the Avs have had in their system since Alex Tanguay.
I thought that the Av's defense was outstanding today...aside from the two breakdowns of course. Yes they controlled the play offensively, but they did a very good job of taking the body, and blocking shots. The stars are bigger, but the AVS did not allow them to force the play. For the most part they kept everything on the perimeter. Tay-o-Door made some big saves, but he didn't have to be as on as Turco, because his defense was actually moving its feet in front of him. I don't think it's fair to discount the job the AVS defense did today. They're a big part of the reason that Theo didn't have to face many shots...they erased them before it got to that point. We all bash them when they're weak...let's give them credit when they're strong.

I completely agree that we'll see a different stars team on Monday. They were giving the AVS all sorts of space. It won't happen again. On their power plays the stars were all stationary. You could see it in real time, and it was magnified on replays. They were content just to pass the puck back and forth, and then shoot. Their 5 on 3 power play is a perfect example of this.

I don't think the stars will give Wolski so much room the rest of the series. He took some big checks in the first period, but it didn't phase him. I think the AVS as a whole can expect a lot more physicality from the stars in game two. But if they keep their heads...it won't matter. The stars are not that big, and not that skilled.

We'll see how it plays out. It won't be easy, but they're certainly in it.

Last edited by Pendejo; 04-22-2006 at 11:34 PM..
Old 04-22-2006, 11:31 PM   #2566
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

WOOWOOO

AVVSSSSS!!!!! Great job team, 3 more!!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:33 PM   #2567
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
One game only, but i hope Barry Melrose swallows his mike. Sneers like he knows it all.
I don't know how much hockey you watch, but if you're familiar with Melrose you know that he's a good natured walking joke. He's a personality. I disagree that he sneers much though...he just loves the game.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:33 PM   #2568
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
After seeing the replay on TV, I'm inclined to agree. He looked down as he had the puck and to use a Pierre McGuire term...WHAMMO!

The only hit I had issue with in the Dallas game was Hagman's hit on Sakic. Not only was it stupid, but extremely dangerous considering Sakic's back was turned. Though there was plenty of stupidity to go around in that game...cough ***Steve Ott*** cough.
Saks was pissed too! That was a scary one. I'm so glad Hinote wasn't goaded into a fight with Ott. It wasn't for a lack of trying on Ott's part.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:41 PM   #2569
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:

I think the officials did a good job in the AVS/stars game(although they did miss that blatant tug on Sakic's break away)...my point was there were several big hits that happened when the puck was further away than the hit in the Buffalo game. They absolutely cannot get rid of that part of playoff hockey. It will kill it. That's all.

I thought the Sakic hit could have carried a game misconduct...intent to injure...etc. Sakic was barking at the refs after that. I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt though...you know...finishing your check and all of that.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:43 PM   #2570
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Saks was pissed too! That was a scary one. I'm so glad Hinote wasn't goaded into a fight with Ott. It wasn't for a lack of trying on Ott's part.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Hinote showed some discipline. I wonder if Sean Avery is taking notes. Can he write? Or does he just make his mark when he signs his checks? Quick...someone ask champbailey24, or 24champbailey...whatever it is.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:44 PM   #2571
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson
Man, here's the hit

http://rapidshare.de/files/18703077/...tclip.avi.html

I feel for the guy, but it's clean.

I missed the game but after watching that clip umberger just got smoked plain and simple. the hit was not dirty at all.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:54 PM   #2572
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing. Hinote showed some discipline. I wonder if Sean Avery is taking notes. Can he write? Or does he just make his mark when he signs his checks? Quick...someone ask champbailey24, or 24champbailey...whatever it is.
I would say probably just a big fat X. Similar to this, but probably not so good.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp x.bmp (138.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 04-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #2573
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
I would say probably just a big fat X. Similar to this, but probably not so good.
F you mt...that's my mark. Where'd you find it?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:06 AM   #2574
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
F you mt...that's my mark. Where'd you find it?

In my paintshop! I rock at this whole paintshop marking thing.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:03 AM   #2575
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Cambell's hit on Umberger was a great open ice hit that we don't see too often anymore. R.J. learned a valuable lesson today; keep your head up in the neutral zone.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote