The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #951
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Ok Fantasy gods out there....

We're fast approaching "The Dog Days of Summer," and in my home league, I've got a commanding lead. I'm up 15 points on everybody else in the league, and currently (though it's still early) leading my opponent for the week 16-3. In short, right now I'm dominating. The lastfour wins have been lopsided victories to the tune of 14-8, 18-7, 12-7, and 18-5.

But the playoffs are coming and I'm a little nervous because as good as my team has been, it only takes one game in the playoffs to make a great season into a disappointing one. So right now my concern is whether or not I have any "faders" on my team. So I'm hoping to get some opinions of what the veterans around here thought of my team in terms of a late season run. I don't want to lose any momentum, and definitely don't want any holes on my roster going into the playoffs...

Let me know what you think:

C - Piazza
1B - J. Morneau
2B - C. Utley
SS - J. Reyes
3B - J. Crede
OF - B. Abreu
OF - A. Jones
OF - J. Bay
Util - M. Texiera

Bench:
2B, 3B, SS - B. Hall
2B, SS - F. Lopez
1B, 2B, 3B, OF - M. Cuddyer

Pitching:
SP - R. Clemens
SP - A. Harang
SP - J. Lackey
RP - J. Papelbon
RP - A. Otsuka
RP - J. Borowski
P - J. Johnson

Depth:
J. Weaver
E. Bedard

What do you think? Can this team hold up through the stretch?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #952
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Justin Verlander is line for a league leading 14th win right now.

Carlos Guillen hit for the cycle tonight.

Recently called up OF Brent Clevlen continued his impressive play tonight with his first two major league home runs.

Tigers 10-4 in the 9th.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #953
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Verlander got the win, but Guillen was the star of the game. A single, a double, a triple, and a home run... Not to mention a stolen base and 2 RBIs. What an incredible night for Carlos. He must feel like he owns the world tonight.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:32 PM   #954
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Tonight had to be about the 5th time this season that Jake Peavy has given up two or fewer runs, and lost. What a tough year.

In the bottom of the ninth when Bellhorn came up to the plate with two outs...I was seriously hoping they'd call someone from the stands to pinch hit for him. Cripes.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #955
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo
Tonight had to be about the 5th time this season that Jake Peavy has given up two or fewer runs, and lost. What a tough year.

In the bottom of the ninth when Bellhorn came up to the plate with two outs...I was seriously hoping they'd call someone from the stands to pinch hit for him. Cripes.
You think you got it bad? The Rockies were down 1-0 going into the bottom of the 9th. Todd Helton led off the inning with a triple and ended up stranded there. That's right, no one could put the god damn ball in play. Torrealba struck out, Hawpe walked, Smith struck out, Freeman walked and Sullivan struck out. All they needed was to put the ****ing ball in play and not a damn one of these pungent Judy hitters could manage that.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a bit frustrated.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #956
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
Verlander got the win, but Guillen was the star of the game. A single, a double, a triple, and a home run... Not to mention a stolen base and 2 RBIs. What an incredible night for Carlos. He must feel like he owns the world tonight.
He is very underrated in my book. He is overshadowed by some of the big name shortstops in the league, but Carlos has been rock solid for the Tigers since he has been here.

He has been healthy this year (knock on wood) and that has been crucial as that usually sidetracks him at some point and time.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 08-01-2006 at 10:45 PM..
Old 08-01-2006, 10:45 PM   #957
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie
He is very underrated in my book. He is overshadowed by some of the big name shortstops in the league, but Carlos has been rock solid for the Tigers since he has been here.
...Yea, but we got Ramon Santiago. He was money during his time in Seattle. Wait, he's in Toledo now...nevermind.

*bang bang*

*dead*
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #958
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Joe Crede had a hell of a night too... He was a triple away from hitting for cycle.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:54 PM   #959
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
You think you got it bad? The Rockies were down 1-0 going into the bottom of the 9th. Todd Helton led off the inning with a triple and ended up stranded there. That's right, no one could put the god damn ball in play. Torrealba struck out, Hawpe walked, Smith struck out, Freeman walked and Sullivan struck out. All they needed was to put the ****ing ball in play and not a damn one of these pungent Judy hitters could manage that.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a bit frustrated.
Similar. Mike Cameron led off the bottom of the first with a double, the next two batters grounded out, and piazza lined out. This is pretty typical for the Madres though...their bats run extremely hot and cold. Mark Bellhorn is pathetic though. He's a strikeout machine. With any justice he'll soon find himself with a case of the piles from riding the pine so long.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:56 AM   #960
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

losing tek for 4-6 weeks is possbily a season crippling blow. that and running jason johnson and david wells out there
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #961
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Todd Walker with a stellar debut at 3rd base tonight for the Pads. Bahahahaha...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #962
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Dodgers win their 5th straight game.

Team is clicking right now, Penny looked good. Ethier is still on a tear hitting above .300 as a rookie. I like Lugo and Betemit alot. Ned Colleti for GM of the year.

Maddux makes his debut tommorow.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #963
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey
Dodgers win their 5th straight game.

Team is clicking right now, Penny looked good. Ethier is still on a tear hitting above .300 as a rookie. I like Lugo and Betemit alot. Ned Colleti for GM of the year.

Maddux makes his debut tommorow.
I thought he made some pretty good deals too until I read that Lugo is a FA. He traded a top 'spect like Guzman for a rental player...Julio Lugo for gosh sakes!

Although, I have been reading that Guzman's stock has plummeted recently and he's a malcontent, so maybe they just wanted to get rid of him. It's not like LA doesn't have another first base prospect either...James Loney is pretty darn good.

The Maddux deal was a bit of a ripoff though. Izturis was obviously a fan favorite, but the fact is he was a low OBP gloveman...the type of player the Cubs just love.

I was hoping that the M's would pick up Kenny Lofton...he woulda been a sweet pickup for the stretch run.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #964
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco
Todd Walker with a stellar debut at 3rd base tonight for the Pads. Bahahahaha...
He threw the ball in the general direction of first base...let's give credit where it's due.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #965
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
I thought he made some pretty good deals too until I read that Lugo is a FA. He traded a top 'spect like Guzman for a rental player...Julio Lugo for gosh sakes!

Although, I have been reading that Guzman's stock has plummeted recently and he's a malcontent, so maybe they just wanted to get rid of him. It's not like LA doesn't have another first base prospect either...James Loney is pretty darn good.

The Maddux deal was a bit of a ripoff though. Izturis was obviously a fan favorite, but the fact is he was a low OBP gloveman...the type of player the Cubs just love.

I was hoping that the M's would pick up Kenny Lofton...he woulda been a sweet pickup for the stretch run.
Lugo is just a stop gap until Kent returns, I know that seems like giving up alot to rent a player for such a short time. The fact is Colleti wants to WIN now and he made moves to get us in the right track to the playoffs. He still kept the kids and did not trade alot of the kids like i saw according to some rumors. As for Guzman your right we had no room for the guy in the future. Plus we have Kemp, Loney etc coming up. Izzy Could not hit his weight so we dumped him because we are full of infielders so he was expendable. I like the deals Coletti made because the team is deep now and is ready to make a run for the playoffs.

As for who plays where when/if Nomar and Kent return, I'm not worried. We can play Stratego all day long and fill out the lineup card a dozen different ways, but the bottom line is this group of players on the 25-man roster are simply better than the players on the 25-man roster of a week ago. Grady Little's job may be a bit more interesting in the coming weeks, but composing the lineup is not a "problem," per se.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:40 AM   #966
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

well it wasnt papi tonight but a walkoffs a walkoff
Old 08-03-2006, 06:15 AM   #967
Crowpointer
Patriots Fan

Bill Belichick-Hingham's finest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShadow
well it wasnt papi tonight but a walkoffs a walkoff
What a weird finish . Carmona strikes out the first two and then hit batter , hit batter, walk , double. We'll take it Shadow.
Crowpointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:21 AM   #968
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Is Bill B planing to start a career as a major league pitcher or what´s he doing there, Crow?
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:00 AM   #969
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowpointer
What a weird finish . Carmona strikes out the first two and then hit batter , hit batter, walk , double. We'll take it Shadow.
that shot by pena would of put a hole in the monster had it hit the wall that thing was an absoulte bullet
Old 08-03-2006, 07:08 AM   #970
Crowpointer
Patriots Fan

Bill Belichick-Hingham's finest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893
Is Bill B planing to start a career as a major league pitcher or what´s he doing there, Crow?
That was taken during a recent practice where BB was pretty unhappy. I thought it was a Beaut
Crowpointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #971
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Bummer... Chase Utley went 0/5 tonight. What a great run.

Anyone notice that Teix is finally getting off? 4 HRs this week already!
Old 08-05-2006, 12:11 AM   #972
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Gots throw some love out there for my boy. Jeff Francis has been dealing lately. In his last four starts he's gone 7, 9, 7 & 8 innings and allowed a total of 5 ER. He dropped his ERA to 3.55 tonight which places him in the top 10 in the N.L.. He's also top 10 in BAA and WHIP. The kid is quietly having himself an outstanding season.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:11 AM   #973
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Shameful display by Giants fans tonight. Just don't mess with their Barry...
Old 08-05-2006, 12:16 AM   #974
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Shameful display by Giants fans tonight. Just don't mess with their Barry...
**** him. That umpire had been ringing people on both teams up on questionable pitches all night. He seemed to be giving both pitchers an Eric Gregg playoff strike zone, so B*nds has no reason to cry about it.

My question is, where was Felipe Alou? Why wasn't he out there to protect his player? Everybody could see how heated it was getting between B*nds and the umpire, yet he didn't bother to leave the dugout until after B*rry was already ejected.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #975
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Pudge just hit a walkoff HR with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th to beat the Indians!