The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #776
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
I already said they should keep him, but if it happens, I'll have a valuable closer or bargaining chip.
I know you said that before, I just cringe every time I hear the scenario brought up.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:07 PM   #777
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie
I know you said that before, I just cringe every time I hear the scenario brought up.
Rest easy, I don't think anybody in either front office cares what I think.

-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #778
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Hoffman blows the save. Wow.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #779
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Finally some excitement in what would have been the most boring All-Star game in forever.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #780
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Clutch hit by Michael Young.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #781
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

The Rangers might not be a team that will make the World Series, let alone the playoffs, but in 2 of the last 4 All-Star games their players have had huge hits to help the AL (Blalock in 2003 and Young minutes ago).
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #782
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Let's go A.L.

Shut'em down Rivera (not used to saying that).
Old 07-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #783
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Great hustle by Beltran to beat out the throw.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:23 PM   #784
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Was that an 0-2 sinker Young spanked into rightfield? Hoffman should have put that ball in the dirt.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:23 PM   #785
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Great hustle by Beltran to beat out the throw.
Lopez has a gun too...Beltran's got some crazy speed for a bigman.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #786
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

i'm pretty hot with hoffman right now....

guy has two outs with no one on...and blows it...

not to mention he blew it on an 0-2 count....

cost my man beltran the mvp.....

and cost the NL homefield....

i'm pretty heated....

to bed i go.......

Last edited by Gcver2ver3; 07-12-2006 at 05:35 AM..
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #787
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3
i pretty hot with hoffman right now....

guy has two outs with no one on...and blows it...

not to mention he blew it on an 0-2 count....

cost my man beltran the mvp.....

and cost the NL homefield....

i'm pretty heated....

to bed i go.......
Yea, this homefield advantage thing is f'in BS! The managers say they use no signs, yet they're managing the game as if it was Game 7 of the WS What?

And besides, the notion that the game has added significance to the players because it decides homefield advantage is crazy IMO. The players are there to enjoy the experience, have fun with friends from other teams, and just put on a show for the fans. I really doubt that Hoffman was thinking, "Oh ****, I just lost homefield for the NL" when Young smoked that triple...
Old 07-11-2006, 09:25 PM   #788
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco
Yea, this homefield advantage thing is f'in BS! The managers say they use no signs, yet they're managing the game as if it was Game 7 of the WS What?

And besides, the notion that the game has added significance to the players because it decides homefield advantage is crazy IMO. The players are there to enjoy the experience, have fun with friends from other teams, and just put on a show for the fans. I really doubt that Hoffman was thinking, "Oh ****, I just lost homefield for the NL" when Young smoked that triple...
I'll guarantee he was pissed at himself. He's over it by now, though, as the number two all time save leader would be.

I'll also guarantee you this stupid home field advantage gimmick was cooked up in the offices of FOX, not MLB. Simple Selig went along as usual.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #789
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Best record should dictate home field advantage....period.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #790
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
I'll guarantee he was pissed at himself. He's over it by now, though, as the number two all time save leader would be.

I'll also guarantee you this stupid home field advantage gimmick was cooked up in the offices of FOX, not MLB. Simple Selig went along as usual.
Well yea...I bet he was very pissed that he was beat on that stage...any professional would be.

What they should do next time is hook someone up to one of those brain-wave monitors...find out how many times they actually think about winning homefield advantage. Wait, that's impossible, I'm being a dumbass...but you get the point.

Glad my team isn't from the NL...that's for sure.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #791
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco
Well yea...I bet he was very pissed that he was beat on that stage...any professional would be.

What they should do next time is hook someone up to one of those brain-wave monitors...find out how many times they actually think about winning homefield advantage. Wait, that's impossible, I'm being a dumbass...but you get the point.

Glad my team isn't from the NL...that's for sure.
I think the NL wanted the game badly because the losing streak is reaching embarrassing proportions. I think the AL takes pride in the streak and wanted to extend it. I agree with you, the players, along with pretty much everybody else, think awarding HFA for this game is stupid.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #792
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
I think the NL wanted the game badly because the losing streak is reaching embarrassing proportions. I think the AL takes pride in the streak and wanted to extend it. I agree with you, the players, along with pretty much everybody else, think awarding HFA for this game is stupid.
Heh...the all-around AL ownage is great. It makes you wonder though because the NL has some of the best young talent in the league. Wright, Reyes (even though he didn't play), Beltran, Howard, Pujols, Bay, Holliday, Cabrera, Penny, Oswalt, etc. I mean, is the talent really inferior? I think the tables may turn in the upcoming AS games when all that talent matures...for what it's worth.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #793
Hotwheelz
Perennial Pro-bowler

He usually puts the change-up in the dirt, must've missed on location.
Hotwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #794
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I should *so* get to keep that Rivera save and the two Michael Young RBIs to count towards my team this week! Even Gary Matthew's Jr. came up with a hit for me, and Turnbow turned in a great one hit inning.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #795
PatsWin2002
Giggity

It was nice of Rivera to work so hard to get an extra WS game at Fenway.
PatsWin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:25 AM   #796
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsWin2002
It was nice of Rivera to work so hard to get an extra WS game at Fenway.
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #797
B-Love
Ring of Famer

They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!!

Until Michael Young's clutch hit, the highlight of last night telecast was Jeanne Zalasko's t*ts.

I find a real aesthetic conflict after alternating camera shots of Jeanne's beautiful fun bags and Kevin Kennedy's pock marked Scarecrow face.
B-Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #798
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Time to get this back to the front page with the season revving back up tonight.

Reds & Nats make a deal.

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds overhauled their rickety bullpen Thursday, getting Gary Majewski and Bill Bray in an eight-player deal that sent outfielder Austin Kearns and shortstop Felipe Lopez to the Washington Nationals.

The Reds, hanging close in the NL Central race, also acquired shortstop Royce Clayton, infielder Brendan Harris and pitcher Daryl Thompson from the last-place Nationals.

Clayton most likely would replace Lopez, who made the All-Star game last year. In addition, the Reds gave up reliever Ryan Wagner, a first-round pick in 2004 who has struggled the last two seasons.

Cincinnati's bullpen has dragged it down the last two months, giving up the most homers in the majors. The Reds acquired former All-Star reliever Eddie Guardado from Seattle on July 6 and came out of the All-Star break at 45-44, trailing St. Louis by four games in the division.

Majewski, Clayton and Bray are expected to report to Cincinnati in time for the game against the Colorado Rockies on Friday night. Harris will report to Triple-A Louisville and Thompson to Sarasota in the Gulf Coast League.

Last season for Washington, Majewski recorded a 2.93 ERA while leading the pitching staff with 79 appearances, a franchise record for a rookie. During the first half of this season he went 3-2 with a 3.58 ERA in 46 games.

Bray, 23, made his Major League debut this season and has posted a 3.91 ERA in 19 relief appearances.

This season for the Nats, Clayton is hitting .269 with 22 doubles and 8 stolen bases in 87 appearances.

Harris, 25, has appeared in 17 games for the Nationals and hit .283 with five home runs and 32 RBI in 59 games for New Orleans.

Thompson, 20, was selected by the Expos in the eighth round of the 2003 first-year player draft. This season for Vermont in the Class A New York-Penn League he went 0-1 with a 6.75 ERA in 4 starts.

Kearns, 26, this season for the Reds hit .274 with 16 home runs and 50 RBI in 87 appearances.

Lopez, 26, hit .268 with nine home runs and 30 RBI in 85 games during the season's first half.

Wagner, 23, has spent the entire season in the minor leagues at Louisville, where he has posted a 6.34 ERA in 35 relief appearances.

The Reds recalled outfielder Chris Denorfia and infielder William Bergolla from Louisville to fill the roster spots of Kearns and Lopez on Thursday night.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #799
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Time to get this back to the front page with the season revving back up tonight.

Reds & Nats make a deal.

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds overhauled their rickety bullpen Thursday, getting Gary Majewski and Bill Bray in an eight-player deal that sent outfielder Austin Kearns and shortstop Felipe Lopez to the Washington Nationals.

The Reds, hanging close in the NL Central race, also acquired shortstop Royce Clayton, infielder Brendan Harris and pitcher Daryl Thompson from the last-place Nationals.

Clayton most likely would replace Lopez, who made the All-Star game last year. In addition, the Reds gave up reliever Ryan Wagner, a first-round pick in 2004 who has struggled the last two seasons.

Cincinnati's bullpen has dragged it down the last two months, giving up the most homers in the majors. The Reds acquired former All-Star reliever Eddie Guardado from Seattle on July 6 and came out of the All-Star break at 45-44, trailing St. Louis by four games in the division.

Majewski, Clayton and Bray are expected to report to Cincinnati in time for the game against the Colorado Rockies on Friday night. Harris will report to Triple-A Louisville and Thompson to Sarasota in the Gulf Coast League.

Last season for Washington, Majewski recorded a 2.93 ERA while leading the pitching staff with 79 appearances, a franchise record for a rookie. During the first half of this season he went 3-2 with a 3.58 ERA in 46 games.

Bray, 23, made his Major League debut this season and has posted a 3.91 ERA in 19 relief appearances.

This season for the Nats, Clayton is hitting .269 with 22 doubles and 8 stolen bases in 87 appearances.

Harris, 25, has appeared in 17 games for the Nationals and hit .283 with five home runs and 32 RBI in 59 games for New Orleans.

Thompson, 20, was selected by the Expos in the eighth round of the 2003 first-year player draft. This season for Vermont in the Class A New York-Penn League he went 0-1 with a 6.75 ERA in 4 starts.

Kearns, 26, this season for the Reds hit .274 with 16 home runs and 50 RBI in 87 appearances.

Lopez, 26, hit .268 with nine home runs and 30 RBI in 85 games during the season's first half.

Wagner, 23, has spent the entire season in the minor leagues at Louisville, where he has posted a 6.34 ERA in 35 relief appearances.

The Reds recalled outfielder Chris Denorfia and infielder William Bergolla from Louisville to fill the roster spots of Kearns and Lopez on Thursday night.
Yikes...that's a big deal. Lopez and Kearns? Damn.

If I remember correctly, Bray is a pretty nice pitching spect, though. Majewski really helps out that bullpen too.

I guess giving Kearns away is acceptable because Denorfia is a good player.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:04 PM   #800
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

WOW! That might be the worst deadline deal I have ever seen for a contending team. (The Jerry Reinsdorf firesale with the Giants in 1997 doesn't count because of the circumstances)

Two solid everyday players (both young) for average relief help and an aging, no-hit SS?

Jim Bowden just might have saved his career.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote