The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #401
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
I would trade Nathan for Teixeira in a heartbeat. Tex has been a collosal disappointment this year, but he's still one of the top five power hitters in baseball. I wouldn't be surprised to see him crank 15 HRs in a month and get his numbers close to his normal figures.

I wouldn't underrate Nathan's save opps in the second half. Santana and now Liriano are going to keep them in a lot of close games, but I would still make that trade.

So he countered... He wants both Nathan and Figgins for Teixiera... What do you think? Do I do it? I think so. I've got Figgins on the bench anyway, but I like his utility...

The interesting story behind Figgins, is that he drafted him. I traded for Figgins ins a deal to get Clemens... I had drafted Derek Lee, and once he got injured I picked up Nick Swisher, and then offered Derek Lee and Brad Penny in a deal for Chone Figgins and Roger Clemens.

So what do you think? Should I give up Figgins and Nathan for Teix...

My concern is Teix's power has suddenly vanished... You know... right after the steroids thing exploded in MLB's face. What if, you know?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #402
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Hmmm... Well, I asked, but I went ahead and accepted the offer.

Still would like to get anybody's feedback on whether they'd do such a trade...
Old 06-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #403
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
Hmmm... Well, I asked, but I went ahead and accepted the offer.

Still would like to get anybody's feedback on whether they'd do such a trade...
In a roto league I wouldn't make that deal because steals are much more valuable in that format. In a head to head league its probably a solid deal. Tex was steroid tested last year and he hit 43 bombs. He seems to be a big strapping kid who plays half his game in a park that favors power hitters. I can't explain the power outage this year, but I still have to believe he'll go on a tear at some point.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #404
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Thanks... We're in a head to head format. I've got Jose Reyes and F. Lopez helping on the save front, though Lopez has hit a big slump after having gone on a nice tear.

Which do you prefer? Roto or H2H?
Old 06-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #405
minibronco
KFFL Writer/Fantasy Scout

Defense: 11 Strong

H2H is more fun if you know everyone in the league and you can talk to them on a regular basis, IMO.
minibronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #406
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Thanks... We're in a head to head format. I've got Jose Reyes and F. Lopez helping on the save front, though Lopez has hit a big slump after having gone on a nice tear.

Which do you prefer? Roto or H2H?
I'm severely addicted to roto baseball. I know most people prefer head to head and I understand all the reasons why. I like roto because the luck element is minimized.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #407
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Un-Be-Lieve-Able
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #408
Rich Karlis
liquored up kicker

BarROID just got thrown out at first base by Endy Chavez on a Ray Durham line out. That was sad....
Rich Karlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #409
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Albert Pujols just left the game in the 3rd inning because of a back strain. Not good.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #410
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Albert Pujols just left the game in the 3rd inning because of a back strain. Not good.
Oblique strain. Looks like he did it chasing a foul pop, not swinging, so that might be a good sign. Problem is that's an injury that tends to nag and you know Albert won't rest as long as they recommend.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #411
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
Oblique strain. Looks like he did it chasing a foul pop, not swinging, so that might be a good sign. Problem is that's an injury that tends to nag and you know Albert won't rest as long as they recommend.

Yeah, I was watching the game when it happened and you could tell that he was hurting afterwards. He said that he felt something pop.

I wouldn't mind seeing them put him on the 15 day DL right now so that he can't talk them into putting him in the lineup before he's had ample rest.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:45 PM   #412
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
52 is crapping his pants right about now...

Scratch that...he's got Ryan Howard too...bastard. Heh

Last edited by WABronco; 06-03-2006 at 11:48 PM..
Old 06-03-2006, 11:57 PM   #413
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Hmmm... My buddy told me that he had heard he was out at least 6 weeks. I don't know where he got that, but we both agreed that while it's good for us since his brother has Pujols, it's bad for baseball. I hope he gets well soon.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #414
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Hmmm... My buddy told me that he had heard he was out at least 6 weeks. I don't know where he got that, but we both agreed that while it's good for us since his brother has Pujols, it's bad for baseball. I hope he gets well soon.
La Russa was freakin' out on ESPN. He said he expect Albert to be out for a "significant" amount of time.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:59 PM   #415
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Also I wanted to note that the KC Royals SUCK! It's nice for the M's to be able to use them as a stretch of flat pavement in the middle of a field of speedbumps.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:02 AM   #416
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco
La Russa was freakin' out on ESPN. He said he expect Albert to be out for a "significant" amount of time.
I'd freak out too if I had Carpenter and Pujols on the DL at the same time.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:10 AM   #417
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Also I wanted to note that the KC Royals SUCK! It's nice for the M's to be able to use them as a stretch of flat pavement in the middle of a field of speedbumps.
...yea. Winning is not the best scenario right now though IMO (no worries though, they'll go back to their old ways during this next road trip). Hargrove needs to go, and a managerial change during their last off day would've been nice. We sweep the Royals with the new guy and everyone comes out smelling like flowers.

Alas...I'll always feel a little better when I remember that we have a top 2 second baseman and he's only 22.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #418
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco
...yea. Winning is not the best scenario right now though IMO (no worries though, they'll go back to their old ways during this next road trip). Hargrove needs to go, and a managerial change during their last off day would've been nice. We sweep the Royals with the new guy and everyone comes out smelling like flowers.

Alas...I'll always feel a little better when I remember that we have a top 2 second baseman and he's only 22.

I haven't gotten a good enough feel for the team yet to say who needs to stay or go. I've been a pretty casual fan up to this year. I've tried to get into baseball the last few years, but it was difficult because I was trying to do it through the Mariners, and they were done by the end of May. This year I started playing fantasy, and watching a lot more games and getting familiar with the rosters.

And you're right about that... Jose Lopez is kicking some butt out there. I'm not certain which criteria you're using to call him a top 2 second baseman, but he's definitely noteworthy.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:31 AM   #419
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
I haven't gotten a good enough feel for the team yet to say who needs to stay or go. I've been a pretty casual fan up to this year. I've tried to get into baseball the last few years, but it was difficult because I was trying to do it through the Mariners, and they were done by the end of May. This year I started playing fantasy, and watching a lot more games and getting familiar with the rosters.

And you're right about that... Jose Lopez is kicking some butt out there. I'm not certain which criteria you're using to call him a top 2 second baseman, but he's definitely noteworthy.
Well, right now IMO, there's Chase Utley...and then Jose. He's sported a monsterous slugging percentage throughout his professional career. He's a double's machine and he's just now starting to jack some of those doubles out. Since he's learned to hit the other way he's become a monster. His career numbers compare very favorably to some big names (most notably Tejada). There are VERY few middle infielders out there that I'd rather have now than Jose.

Hargrove is just a bumbling idiot who is incapable of making adjustments, using a bullpen correctly, or getting the most out of his players. Everytime he makes another blunder some blogger out there just tees off...never fails. I mean, he's had his best hitter sac bunting for a good part of the season so far...that's just bad managing.

But, if you're going to become a serious fan, I'd put it off 'til next year. By then, we should have a nice rotation of Felix, Washburn, Daisuke Matsuzaka (Japan's top pitcher), top 5 draft pick, and the ageless Jamie Moyer. Things should be interesting next year...

Last edited by WABronco; 06-04-2006 at 12:37 AM..
Old 06-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #420
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

The Rockies continue their run as a bunch of banjo hitters with runners in scoring position. Since May 1st they're hitting a collective .180 with runners in scoring position and they just got swept at home by the Marlins. Ugh.

On the bright side, Matt Holliday found his stroke today. 3 for 3 with a 455 foot bomb onto the concourse in left.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #421
Rich Karlis
liquored up kicker

The Skanks are bombing Beckett and the Sox. 8-2 in the second inning. Giambi and Phillips both hit 3 run homers in the inning.
Rich Karlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:20 PM   #422
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

BECKETT!!!! AUUUGH!!!

Maybe it would help Red Sox fans stomach recent developments if they could just do a simple mental gymnastic and create a new reality regarding the off-season trade that was supposed to position them for a title run.

Instead of viewing 2003 World Series MVP Josh Beckett as the jewel of the deal and Mike Lowell as the $18-million booby prize, Boston fans just need to reverse it in their minds. The new take: you got an All-Star, Gold Glove third baseman in exchange for uber-prospect Hanley Ramirez and lesser prospects Anibal Sanchez and Jesus Delgado, but you were forced to swallow a maddeningly inconsistent blister-prone pitcher in the deal.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5669984
Old 06-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #423
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

That's two games in a row he got skunked like that... Dude is starting to worry me... Dammit... I was going to bench him too. I had him benched but figured I'd put a little faith in the kid.

One thing is for sure... He's done pitching against the Yankees and Blue Jays for me.

Now I just hope Roger pans out, and that things don't get so bad for Beckett that the Red Socks feel like they have to move Papelbon to SP.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #424
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Is it just me, or is Beckett slightly overrated? He seems to be a bit of a headcase, and his fastball is straight as an arrow (to my untrained eyes). He's got a nice curve, but good hitters can sit on it (actually, scratch that). Felix has the best curve I've ever seen, and he still gets knocked around time to time with it (actually, scratch that....only when he leaves it up ). I dunno though...when he's on he's on I guess.

I'm not suggesting that the trade was bad...but I can't imagine that BoSox fans are happy with Alex Gonzalez. Heh...

Last edited by WABronco; 06-06-2006 at 09:44 AM..
Old 06-05-2006, 11:40 PM   #425
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

What does everyone think of the bruhaha over Milledge high fiving some fans at field level? I think the whole unwritten rule thing is BS. Get over it vets...he made two great plays and was acknowledging the fans.