The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Announcements, Features and Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2006, 01:33 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Ex-Bronco asks O-Maners for help with his book.

I received an email today from the wife of ex-Bronco Runningback, Jon Keyworth. Mrs. Keyworth has informed me that Jon is going to be writing a book about his experiences on the first Broncos Superbowl team from 1977, and wanted to get some feedback from the fans on what kinds of questions that they might have regarding this team and his expreience.

I'm letting her know that I'm starting a thread here in hopes that some of the old timers here could maybe pop in a few questions or offer a few comments that will help Jon get his creative juices flowing to write the best possible book he can and do that fine old team some justice.

So let's hear 'em!

Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2006, 01:49 AM   #2
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Who were the vocal leaders in the locker room? Who was the most inspirational player on the team?
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:50 AM   #3
Houshmazode
Solid Starter

Still need a pass rush.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rulon Jones

Awesome. Even though I wasn't alive for 11 years when that happened, I would like to know what the media, coaches, organization players and Keyworth himself thought of the denver Broncos team in the off-season that year, pre-season, regular season and playoffs, all the way to the superbowl. Also how the team chemistry was at those certain times.
Houshmazode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:58 AM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

In addition to learning about the team, I'd be real interested in getting a perspective on the relationship that the players had with the fans at the time.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:59 AM   #5
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Was the team confident that they'd be contenders when the year started or did their confidence grow each week as the wins piled up?
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

I don't know if he'd be interested in questions from a Chiefs fan, but I'd like to know what the Broncos-Chiefs rivalry was like back then.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:05 AM   #7
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

There were two losses that season... One in week seven, and one in week 14, the last week of the season.

The week seven loss was against the Oakland Raiders. The week 14 loss was against the eventual Superbowl champion Dallas Cowboys.

Which loss was a worse blow? Obviously, the team bounced back from both of them. I'd like to hear about how the team reacted to those losses, and what came out of them in hindsight that showed the heart of a Champion in the team.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:20 AM   #8
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

I grew up a Viking fan, and when I got to Denver University I was rather overwhelmed not being big man on the block because my dad and uncle had serious clout. There I was just a dumb farmer even tho I was on the debate team.

I kept hearing about the Broncos...8-1, 10-1...my ears started perkin' up. It just wasn't on my priority list.

My question would be (if Jon was there), his impressions of Ralston, Lou Saban and Red Miller.

One other that I'm sure will be covered would be the Dominant Orange Crush and specifically Lyle Alzado.

Some takes on the then powerfull Raiders would be good.

I only vaguely remember Keyworth, he was a blocking back that didn't touch the ball much if my memory serves me. I was a complete neophyte at that time. Christ, I was a Viking fan and had to test the waters. Obviously they were warm. Out of the RBBC I liked Rob Lytle the best. I honestly don't remember alot about that team.

Oh, there is one question that would be cool...I would drive past the orange car every day on Santa Fe at the salvage yard. I would like to know about Orange Crush mania.

I remember Jon as an excellent blocker with broad shoulders who wasn't scared to stick his nose into the action because this was a smash mouth football team.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:39 AM   #9
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Jon Keyworth, is he gonna put out another record or single? I have that thing. I would like to know if the broncomania hit him when he was out in the public. What were some of the more interesting things he noticed aorund town during that season. Also, my first hero, Craig Morton, how was it to have a veteran QB in the huddle? Was he a great leader that was the difference to getting the AFC championship? Does he still see the guys for alumni day. How has the many deaths of that season affected him and his teammates today ie. Weese, Alzado ?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:46 AM   #10
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Fans who grew up during the Elway years can't relate to the experience of going for years thinking you'd never even have a winning season and then suddenly all at once, you're in the Super Bowl...the dream come true. The emotions of losing that game are something I'll never forget. It was such a huge buildup in Denver that year. Everything was painted orange, including people. I was 19...and when they lost the Super Bowl, the emotional fall was so fast and so far...I cried like a baby.

Years later...I finally felt the other side of that roller coaster...a high I've never had in sports before or since...when they finally won it all against the Packers.

How did the players deal with the dissapointment of losing? Why was Red Miller such a quick exit after the meteoric rise...and what became of him? Is he still alive? What's he doing today and is he a Denver fan?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:49 AM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Oh yeah...how would he rate Otis Armstrong as a runner? I remember when he and Otis both ran for about 150 in the same game one time. I always thought he was another guy who got cut short...and could have been a HOF runner had he stayed healthy.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:45 AM   #12
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

I'm interested in his opinions of his opponents during that era.

Who was the hardest hitter?

Who was the smartest player?

Who was most intense?

Who had a bad temper?

Who cheated for every inch and who was a good sportsman?

I'm sure Jon could fill pages with anecdotes about various players.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:50 AM   #13
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

I can't wait to read this book!
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:59 AM   #14
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Should be a good Book ......... 1 question I would have is , when Morton couldnt tie his own shoes due to Bruised Ribs , and still played , what effect did that have on the team ?
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:47 AM   #15
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

I don't have any questions (most of my basic ones were covered already), but I just wanted to let Keyworth know that my dad spent about a year and a half trying to find a copy of "Make Those Miracles Happen". When he finally did, it was one of the happiest times I've ever seen him. Still have that framed in his old office.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:11 AM   #16
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Three questions: Even though it was only Jon's second season with the club, he started alongside Floyd Little in his last game at Mile High Stadium in that frigid 18-degree December weather. What does he remember most about that game and what was it like being in the same backfield with Floyd?

Also, when Red Miller became coach the Broncos went to a runningback by committee approach. Did he like it that each running back ended up with about 400 yards a piece rushing?

Finally, does he think he fumbled in that controversial 77 AFC Championship game vs the Raiders?
The Moops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #17
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

What does he think the players on that team would think of the likes of TO, Moss, Assy Lelie etc...
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:21 AM   #18
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

What was the deal with Tom Glassic? I recall hearing that he had a severe physical illness prior to the SB (a staff infection, IIRC). How much did the rank & file know about that and what was the depth chart situation?
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #19
Sir Mawn

Do you think there was an ingredient (player, coach, intangible, etc) missing that would've gotten them the Championship? If so... what was it?
Sir Mawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #20
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

How much credit did the players feel was due for Red Miller, and How much to John Ralston , the guy that really built the defense?
did he have any feelings about the "player Revolt"that ended up with Ralstons exit and Millers hiring?
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #21
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Red Miller and his personality seemed so very integral to the success ... what kind of coach was he, and why did he never coach again after Kaiser fired him three years later? Was he in "over his head" from a pure football standpoint as some have said?

What was the true extent of Glassic's illness before the Super Bowl, and just how much weight had he lost? (Some estimate 20 pounds in 3 weeks, but that seems unlikely). Was Glassic's condition the biggest reason Harvey Martin went wild?

Who wrote the silly lyrics to Jon's "Make Those Miracles Happen" ?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:23 AM   #22
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray
How much credit did the players feel was due for Red Miller, and How much to John Ralston , the guy that really built the defense?
did he have any feelings about the "player Revolt"that ended up with Ralstons exit and Millers hiring?
I second all that ...

And ask her to tell us where to get the book when it comes out.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:30 AM   #23
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moops
Three questions: Even though it was only Jon's second season with the club, he started alongside Floyd Little in his last game at Mile High Stadium in that frigid 18-degree December weather. What does he remember most about that game and what was it like being in the same backfield with Floyd?
Excellent idea ... he should devote a reasonable amount of the book to Broncos history, imo ...

The first ever AFL game ... the socks ... how bloody awful the team was before Ralston ... the old quansut huts on 57th street and Al Davis's spys nearby ...

And the "hick town" image that Denver believed it had and how the 1977 Orange Crush changed it. The book could have a "City Comes of Age" theme ...

And a full chapter to Floyd Little and how basically his presence and popularity alone saved the Broncos from moving ...

And if he wants to write a REALLY serious book, and get REAL attention .... he should write about Alzado and steroids.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #24
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If the Broncos didn't have an unbelievable 8 turnovers in Super Bowl XII they would have beaten the Cowboys . . .

Just to keep it 27-10 with that meltdown is incredible.
The Moops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:49 AM   #25
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moops

Also, when Red Miller became coach the Broncos went to a runningback by committee approach. Did he like it that each running back ended up with about 400 yards a piece rushing?

Finally, does he think he fumbled in that controversial 77 AFC Championship game vs the Raiders?
That was my question. Where was he on the Lytle fumble? What was the on field reaction. But also, the broncos were robbed by a bad call that allowed the Faide to score shortly before the fumble. What was the reaction on the sideline to that call?

Also, my recollection is that the Runningback by committee was really necessitated by Armstrong getting a bum knee and really not being all that he'd been.

I also seem to recall the broncos partied a bit too hard prior to the superbowl.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote