|03-03-2006, 01:26 AM||#1|
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colo Springs
Which is Worse?
I was talking to some people at a bar here in the springs. I was wearing #38, pondering the cuts of the other day, and getting into some arguments/ discussions of the current millionaire/ billionaire situation and while we all realized that $94.5 million does not buy what it used to: most teams will have to make cuts. So as a respectable BRONCOS season ticket holder/fan, I objected to several of the arguments on either side. My biggest problems are: (to name a few)
1. I have no sympathy for anyone making a minimum of $235,000 per year in 2006 (http://www.nflpa.org/Media/main.asp?...nimum+Salaries )
2. I am not a lawyer (duh) but cannot understand the entire 265 page, XLI articles, appendices, schedules, etc. in the CBA, specifically (but not limited to) salary cap provisions in pages 96-97, 142, 143. (http://www.nflpa.com/Media/main.asp?...Complete#art24)
3. I do not understand a “union” that permits free agency
4. Will we see players holding a sign and walking a picket line in 2007? Is that the agents job? (not really a union in the traditional sense)
5. I cannot sympathize with BRONCOS ownership that is raising ticket prices again in 2006, plus parking and concession prices that are outrageous…
6. I don’t care who gets a % of FREE TV revenue (oops…ESPN MNF not free this year-my bad) since I am at the home games anyway (and subjected to advertising in the stadium, on the back of tickets, in the lots, in the $5 programs, etc…)
7. Ticketmaster “service” fees (let the team pay a % of sales – ‘convenience’ my A$$)
RESULT: Paying, ticket-holders/fans are getting hosed again
I don’t want to get off on a Dennis Miller type rant here, but these issues concern me, and I was vocal. So I was talking to everyone that was interested in NFL/NLFPA negotiations (who isn’t?). Well one thing led to another and I realized there was another issue. There were 2 women: 1) a raiders fan and 2) a steelers fan (in full black and gold) . After I got phone #s, it occurred to me, neither of these women are BRONCOS fans. Both saw the dilemma I was in and wanted to 'engage in further discussions.’ Is there any future? Can I take either of them to a tailgate/game?
Which would you see/date? It’s a choice of evils, I know. Any advice from BRONCOS fans would be appreciated….