The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #176
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life
While I agree with you on some of your points,(stronger arm and all that other jazz) remember Whitehurst had equal amount of time to learn the new WRs during that week. I also said I think he is picked by the Cards for real, I was just pointing out that Whitehurst could be a good pick up for a team in the later rounds.
oh yea i think he can be an excelent #2 but i dont think he has what it take to be a true #1I may be wrong and he comes out to suprise but i just watch the Sr. Bowl again tonight and he had pretty weak thows (although very accurate) in the game. He seemed to be able to see the open hole and pick it apart but I stand firm by my pick.
Arkansas Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #177
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I think Cutler is a 2nd round talent that will get drafted in the first round based on position and needs. Honestly, there isn't much difference between Frye and Cutler. Frye was a 3rd rounder, Cutler likely a 1st.

When you sit down and really look at it, last year's draft was just as deep as this years... in rounds 2 and 3 I mean. Perhaps even more so. This year's draft was hyped b/c you had true Bluechip prospects in the top 3. Plus, with Bush and Young coming out that fills out the top 5. Then you add in the Mario Williams and Ngata's and you end up with a pretty solid top 10 no matter who goes in the 8,9,10 range. After that though, the talent is pretty similar to last years.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #178
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE
I think Cutler is a 2nd round talent that will get drafted in the first round based on position and needs. Honestly, there isn't much difference between Frye and Cutler. Frye was a 3rd rounder, Cutler likely a 1st.

When you sit down and really look at it, last year's draft was just as deep as this years... in rounds 2 and 3 I mean. Perhaps even more so. This year's draft was hyped b/c you had true Bluechip prospects in the top 3. Plus, with Bush and Young coming out that fills out the top 5. Then you add in the Mario Williams and Ngata's and you end up with a pretty solid top 10 no matter who goes in the 8,9,10 range. After that though, the talent is pretty similar to last years.
I really liked Ngata, but I couldn't pass up Williams.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #179
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:

I think you are close on Cutler, but I would put him as more of a 4th round talent, based on what has happend in the past.

When comparing the strength of this draft to last year what really stands out are the RBs, OL and defensive players. This draft is short on top flight WRs, Kickers and QBs but exceptionally strong in the other areas. I think there could be 30 OL that are drafted this year that will start in the league within a couple of years.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #180
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I have to disagree. There are a lot of guys in this year's draft who would have been picked significantly higher had they come out last year, and its not through bad play on their part. The excessive number of underclassmen that jumped ship this year has stocked the pool. Its weak in some areas, namely WR, but the OL and every defensive position in this draft is as stacked if not moreso than any draft in recent history.

I think the problem is a lot of people assume that since this draft is billed as being "stacked" that it means theres a stud at every position. There isn't. WR is lacking, QB depth isn't much better, if even as good, as last year's, it just has a few big name headliners. RB depth is pretty good, but not really much better outside of the top 3-5 RBs than your average class.

On the other hand we see a crop of TEs that make every recent class look sad in comparision. We have a group of OLs that just goes on and on and on. We have DLs that would have been top 10 talent last year sliding to the second half of the first, cornerback depth equal to a great class from last year, and the best crop of linebackers in a good long while, to the point where we might actually see four or five LBs taken in round one, how long has it been since that happened?

This is the deepest draft in a long time overall, but it is VERY heavily skewed towards the lines and defense. If you want an exceptional offensive skill position player you'll probably find yourself out of luck. If you want to shore up the trenches and lay down the core of a good D though, this is the year to make it happen.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #181
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Yes there are 4-5 TEs in this draft better than Heath Miller and the OL and DL depth is incredible.

I disagree about the RB depth though, I think it is very strong and a guy that goes as the 10th RB this year will be as good as the 4th or 5th RB last year.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #182
Mr. Trout
World Champion

FADERPROOF, Where are you
Mr. Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #183
FADERPROOF
Twitter: FNRoleModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Trout
FADERPROOF, Where are you
Sorry bout that, was in bed when socal PM'd me and been at work all day since.

Atlanta Selects: Marcus McNeil, OT, Auburn.

Pick made at 4:55 Eastern time.
FADERPROOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #184
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Snap!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

New Enland trades with Miami Dolphins- NFLBRONCO and pick's
DeMeco Ryans #35
Outside Linebacker
Alabama
Ht: 6'2
Wt: 232

Strenghts: Very smart and fundamental player that makes very few mistakes on the field. Very aggressive. Solid tackler. Team leader on and off the field.

Outside Linebacker
As much as some Pats fans might disagree, they are in serious trouble here. McGinnest and Vrabel are both free agents this offseason, and even if they manage to keep both LBs, McGinnest turns 35 next season. While Vrabel is playing as well as he ever has, I doubt he takes a small contract in return for his services, and the Pats don't have much cap room. They could also use some youth here with both starters in their 30s, so even if both are signed, a future starter is needed. Rosevelt Colvin has the talent to replace McGinnest, but hasn't been himself since the injury. I could see him doing the job well, but I don't know if the Pats can depend on that. And Tully Banta-Cain? Just not a good starting option

Last edited by ICON; 02-08-2006 at 03:59 PM..
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #185
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICON
New Enland trades with Miami Dolphins- NFLBRONCO and pick's
DeMeco Ryans #35
ICON's pick was at 5:55 EST.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #186
Mr. Trout
World Champion

I don't think you would have had to move up to get Ryans ICON. He's a good backer though.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #187
Mr. Trout
World Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FADERPROOF
Sorry bout that, was in bed when socal PM'd me and been at work all day since.

Atlanta Selects: Marcus McNeil, OT, Auburn.

Pick made at 4:55 Eastern time.

I was just kidding with ya. I'm getting anxious to make my next pick. McNeil is a good addition to the Falcons. Any particular reason you took him over Scott from Texas?
Old 02-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #188
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

How about every five or so picks that last person to pick give a recap? So at pick 15-20-25-30, etc, you would give you pick and then recap the picks below you?
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #189
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

SOCAL is on the clock! Where are ya Mr. Commissioner??
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #190
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Trout
I don't think you would have had to move up to get Ryans ICON. He's a good backer though.
I was gonna take DeAngelo Williams but there is no way i was gonna let kc
pick this stud up. plus DeAngelo Williams will go next ,better fit for the gay area

Last edited by ICON; 02-08-2006 at 05:32 PM..
Old 02-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #191
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

1. Houston Texans- TheDave------------ D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia
2. New Orleans Saints- 24champbailey-------- Vince Young, QB Texas
3. Tennessee Titans- Hawk's Boys------------Matt Leinart, QB USC
4. New York Jets- Rascal---------------------Reggie Bush, RB USC
5. Green Bay Packers- DBroncos4Life----------Mario Williams, DE NC State
6. Denver Broncos- Clockwork Orange*---------Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon
7. Oakland Raiders- OSKIE--------------------A.J. Hawk, OLB Ohio State
8. Buffalo Bills- eddie mac-------------------- Michael Huff, S Texas
9. Detroit Lions- JCMElway------------------Tamba Hali, DE Penn State
10. Minnesota Vikings-watermock**----------- Vernon Davis, TE Maryland
11. St. Louis Rams- Slappy--------------------Jimmy Williams, CB Virginia Tech
12. Cleveland Browns- PortisFanForever--------Chad Greenway, OLB Iowa
13. Arizona Cardinals- Arkansas bronco***-----Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt
14. Philadelphia Eagles- Mr. Trout--------------Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston
15. Atlanta Falcons- FADER-------------------Marcus McNeill OT, Auburn
16. Miami NFLBRONCO -TRADE-NEW ENLAND DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama

Biggest shockwave,
1. Houston Texans- TheDave------------ D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia
Best deal
2. New York Jets- Rascal---------------------Reggie Bush, RB USC
WTF
3. When is DeAngelo Williams gonna get picked

4. Biggest up side Denver Broncos- Clockwork Orange*---------Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon SNAPING TRENT GREEN NECK NEXT YEAR ....

5. Next on the clock is San Francisco 49ers-SoCalBronco**Team need's

Playmaker
It can be debated back and forth what direction the Niners should go with what will likely be a top five pick. No matter what direction they go in, it’s obvious they need more playmakers on both sides of the ball. Reggie Bush is certainly on their radar as he is for a couple of other team who might get the top pick, If San Francisco loses out on the top offensive playmaker, they could look at the defensive side of the ball where names like Mario Williams, A.J. Hawk and Jimmy Williams make more than their share of plays.

Running Back
A need for a franchise that has squeezed just about everything it could out of Kevan Barlow. Barlow is an ideal third down back and would be among the best backups in the league, but he doesn’t do any one thing well enough to merit being a starter. Bush is the obvious player to plug in and immediately add one or two wins to the bottom line. Laurence Maroney and DeAngelo Williams are the other top backs in this draft although neither is in the class of Bush.

Last edited by ICON; 02-08-2006 at 05:38 PM..
Old 02-08-2006, 05:34 PM   #192
Mr. Trout
World Champion

ICON, do you think Maroney and Williams will be more productive than LenDale?
Old 02-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #193
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICON
4. Biggest up side Denver Broncos- Clockwork Orange*---------Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon SNAPING TRENT GREEN NECK NEXT YEAR ....
That's what I had in mind.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #194
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

With the 17th pick of the draft, the San Francisco 49ers select......

UCLA TE Marcedes Lewis

SF has alot of needs, but perhaps most of all, they need a big time weapon on offense for QB Alex Smith. This WR class is below average and I dont like to reach. Lewis is very athletic, has excellent hands and runs precise routes. Was very impressive in the Senior Bowl practices. He also can stretch the defense deep despite a purported slow 40 time. This kid is a great athlete and playmaker and he hasnt even reached the ceiling yet, even though he has been very productive at UCLA the last two years. He will be a huge upgrade over the often injured and quite mediocre Eric Johnson. Some people are wondering why SF did not go for running backs White or Williams, but I have faith in Frank Gore. He had a fine rookie year and has an excellent combination of vision and power.

The pick was made at 5:24 Pacific Standard Time, February 8th.

The Dallas Cowboys (Bronco LB 52) are on the clock.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #195
TheDave
Sauced...

Now that i didn't see coming...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #196
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

That was a serious curveball.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #197
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

In fact neither of those two RBs were in my top 3 targets for the 17th pick.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #198
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco
In fact neither of those two RBs were in my top 3 targets for the 17th pick.
Who were the other 2 of your top 3?
Old 02-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #199
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Who were the other 2 of your top 3?
Well I can tell you one of them- TE Leonard Pope of Georgia. I really wanted to make sure I got Alex Smith at least 1 big time weapon in this draft and as I said I dont believe there is a single wide reciever worthy of a first round pick. And I felt good at RB with Gore's rookie year and potential. Obviously, White or Williams were arguably the best player available (although I really like Lewis) but I dont subscribe to the Best Player Available Theory of drafting. In fact I think its atrocious and produces absurd results. The Pure Needs Theory of drafting is a little bit better but even that creates situations where you reach, which I am unwilling to do at WR. So you have to combine it. My system is that you rank every position on the team in terms of what you have and see what each prospect would provide in terms of how much they would increase that ranking. Lewis increases the TE ranking more than White/Williams increases the RB ranking. I like this style better because it helps to prevent reaches (if you rank yourself as only a 5 out of 10 at WR, reaching for a 2nd/3rd round talent at 1, doesnt add a hell of alot to your ranking) and it also helps to prevent the absurd results that may occur when you follow the BPA theory (i.e. you rank yourself at 8 out of 10 at a position and a big time player falls to your spot, he may be the BPA but he doesnt add a hell of alot to your ranking). So I like to think this combines the strengths of BPA and Needs theory while minimizing the weaknesses. The big thing is whether you correctly asses where you are at the various positions and what each prospect would add.

I didnt have a problem allowing Mock to take Vernon Davis at 10 because I actually had Lewis ranked the highest of the TEs and I knew at 17, one of Lewis and Pope would definitely be there. The other guy in my top 3 I cant say, because I am hoping he is still around at Pick 2A, although ive got a list of 5 guys I am considering there if he isnt still there.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #200
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Would Alex Smith go in the top ten this year?

I mean, realistically, he shouldn't have gone before the fourth round last year, frigging Marc Wilson clone, but still, could you draft Alex Smith over, lets say, any of the top seven picks in this mock draft?
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: