The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default G Louis Vasquez

I was looking around at guards to take over for Hamilton eventually, and found this guy. Not ideal I suppose for zone blocking and would be a project, but with Harris, Clady, Kuper, and this guy, I think Cutler could take a nap back there on passing downs. What do you think?

Louis Vasquez
G, Texas Tech
6-4, 330

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is strong and aggressive; blocks with the attitude that is hard to find among guard prospects. Has impressive natural strength and is able to stonewall bull rushers. Does a good job of eliminating the defender on downside blocks and on side in-line run blocks. Gets through the line of scrimmage quickly to deliver a hard initial blow to the linebacker. Does a good job of communicating and working with other linemen to switch off and handle stunts. Excels in helping his linemates when he doesn't have a blocking assignment.

Weaknesses: Lacks the playing speed to pull and get out in front to lead block effectively on outside runs. Does not do a good job of staying under control when blocking out in space. Reaches and grabs at times, leading to missed blocks. Goes through stretches where he blocks too high.

Bottom line: Vasquez displays a toughness that isn't seen much in the NFL. Players like him often end up doing better in the pros because of their physical style. Vasquez probably won't be drafted as highly as we have him rated, but within a season or two he will become a starter in the NFL and have a long career.

Louis Vasquez Scouting Report by Shane Grand
Pros: Excellent size, both in height and weight. Elite pass protector, gave up 1 sack in two years as a starter with over 1,000 pass attempts. Good lower body strength and wingspan to anchor and redirect oncoming pass rushers.
Cons: Suffered through nagging injuries that caused him to miss game time as a senior. Still finished 2nd team All-Big XII, following up his junior year in which he was first-team All Big XII and started every game. Operated in a specific offense system where his running blocking was unorthodox.
Overall: Mid-round prospect that will be overlooked because of a quieter senior season and adequate at best athletic ability but playing in a phone booth plays to his strengths as Vasquez is a true guard. His spectacular pass blocking skills can't be discounted and he has the size to improve his run blocking as long as he stays healthy.

Report from Shrine game practices
OG Louis Vasquez, Texas Tech: When you talk about line play in coach Mike Leach's Texas Tech offense, people think of wide splits and pass protection. But Vasquez is not a finesse player by any stretch of the imagination. He proved to scouts that he can fire off the ball from a three-point stance (which he didn't do much in Tech's pass- and draw-happy offense) and dominate tackles in the power running game.

Last edited by skpac1001; 02-11-2009 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: added height/weight
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Drek
Ring of Famer

[QUOTE]Weaknesses: Lacks the playing speed to pull and get out in front to lead block effectively on outside runs. Does not do a good job of staying under control when blocking out in space. Reaches and grabs at times, leading to missed blocks. Goes through stretches where he blocks too high.
[/QUOTE]

So he pass blocks like a fatty should, but would completely handicap our ZBS running system that McDaniels has said he wants to keep.

Sure looks like a great fit.

We'd be better off using our 3rd on one of the very good centers in this class and letting him battle it out with Lichtenstieger for replacing Weigmann while the other works at OG to replace Hamilton. That way we have two guys who can legitimately play C should the other get hurt down the road and we're hitting this draft at a big strong point.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
So he pass blocks like a fatty should, but would completely handicap our ZBS running system that McDaniels has said he wants to keep.
Hadn't heard that, good news. I suppose keeping Dennison was part of that.

Quote:
We'd be better off using our 3rd on one of the very good centers in this class and letting him battle it out with Lichtenstieger for replacing Weigmann while the other works at OG to replace Hamilton. That way we have two guys who can legitimately play C should the other get hurt down the road and we're hitting this draft at a big strong point.
Agreed, I posted exactly that recently .... but imo that's the only pick on offense, one other tops. Use 7 or 8 picks on D.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Sure looks like a great fit.

I don't have a problem with that if they don't have any good defensive prospects they like better in the 3rd, but if they do I would rather get a later round player who may be more of a project. You might like this guy better, he could play ZBS well plus have power on the goal line. This is the only scouting report I have seen of him though, it may be off.

Jaimie Thomas
G, Maryland
6-4 331

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is well-built. Shows athleticism to make every block. Shows quick footwork to chip defensive tackles and reach second level to block linebackers out of plays. Pulls and lead blocks effectively on the move, both on outside runs and when taking on "fill linebackers" in the hole. Shows strength and competitiveness to drive defensive linemen down line on side blocks. Bends knees and sinks hips to pass block with leverage, and slides well laterally to adjust to quick change-of-direction pass-rush moves. Uses strength and leverage to stack the point of attack against bull rushers.

Weaknesses: Does not always play with enough intensity to block to his talent level. In pass protection, does not always use hands aggressively, letting defensive linemen get into his chest and jolt him back. On straight-ahead run blocks, does not fire off snap aggressively and tends to be a "catch" blocker; gets pushed back and lets opponents get past him to disrupt plays. Gets lazy at times on open-field blocks, stopping feet, bending at waist and lunging to make contact, leading to whiffs.

Bottom line: Few guards with Thomas' strength display the quick footwork and overall athleticism he has. Although we do not believe he will be drafted as high as we have him rated, in time he will prove he is worthy of the grade when he becomes a good all-around starter. He could be productive in any offensive scheme because he shows the strength to be a physically dominant, brute type of guard, as well as the athleticism to handle all the blocks more speed-based teams like the Colts and Broncos require their linemen to make.

Personally I still like Louis, there is no doubt he would have a lot of work to do but his lack of pulling speed doesn't kill him for me since I was under the impression quickness ("Gets through the line of scrimmage quickly to deliver a hard initial blow to the linebacker.") and teamwork (good job communicating and excels at helping teammates double team) is more important then speed for ZBS, and his open field blocking will improve as he gets experience and coaching in it. I also like the idea of an offensive line that specializes in zone blocking but is able to effectively power block also, especially in the red zone. Maybe I am just talking myself into it because of his pass blocking and power in the red zone.

Last edited by skpac1001; 02-11-2009 at 11:54 AM..
Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpac1001 View Post
I don't have a problem with that if they don't have any good defensive prospects they like better in the 3rd, but if they do I would rather get a later round player who may be more of a project. You might like this guy better, he could play ZBS well plus have power on the goal line. This is the only scouting report I have seen of him though, it may be off.
Of course if there is someone they like better they'd take them instead, but the notion that this draft needs to be nothing but defense is as prevalent on this board as it is obtuse.

We aren't a very good team. We've got a QB with a lot of potential and a few nice offensive pieces, one stand out defensive player and only two others who could even be called above average. We need a LOT, on both sides of the ball, if we want to see this team make any kind of long term improvement.

Otherwise by the time the D talent gets it squared away and we start actually stopping people the offense will be falling apart and we'll need to start fixing that again.

In this draft we should be looking to add the best value picks we can at DE, DT, OLB, MLB, S, CB, RB, OG, and C. If that means we take Malcolm Jenkins in round one and Alex Mack in round 2 then so be it, despite the massive hissy it'd cause around here. We got a lot of gaps to fill and hopefully not much time to do it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Hadn't heard that, good news. I suppose keeping Dennison was part of that.
I believe his comment regarding the ZBS was (paraphrasing) "you don't fix what isn't broken".

He then retained Dennison and Turner both, so its looking like a lock.

Quote:
Agreed, I posted exactly that recently .... but imo that's the only pick on offense, one other tops. Use 7 or 8 picks on D.
I'd like to see us add another RB, probably a late second day blocking FB to free Hillis up for a more versatile role, ideally a young second day QB McDaniels can start grooming to back Cutler up long term, and if there is a receiving TE they really like available anywhere from the early second day on I'd be fine with that too (replacement for Scheffler if he continues to be Nate Jackson 2.0).

This is probably going to bite me in the ass since I'm drafting for the Broncos in one draft. ;P

Last edited by Drek; 02-11-2009 at 01:14 PM..
Old 02-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Of course if there is someone they like better they'd take them instead, but the notion that this draft needs to be nothing but defense is as prevalent on this board as it is obtuse.

We aren't a very good team. We've got a QB with a lot of potential and a few nice offensive pieces, one stand out defensive player and only two others who could even be called above average. We need a LOT, on both sides of the ball, if we want to see this team make any kind of long term improvement.

Otherwise by the time the D talent gets it squared away and we start actually stopping people the offense will be falling apart and we'll need to start fixing that again.

In this draft we should be looking to add the best value picks we can at DE, DT, OLB, MLB, S, CB, RB, OG, and C. If that means we take Malcolm Jenkins in round one and Alex Mack in round 2 then so be it, despite the massive hissy it'd cause around here. We got a lot of gaps to fill and hopefully not much time to do it in.
Absolutely, which is why I am arguing for a middle/late round pick to be spent on a guard in this thread. I don't have a problem with a 3rd being spent on it either, but since it is a long term need (won't be an issue this year, maybe not next either) and we have more pressing needs elsewhere, it better be a pretty special center/guard who is far better then anyone who can be had later and molded over the next year or two.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpac1001 View Post
Absolutely, which is why I am arguing for a middle/late round pick to be spent on a guard in this thread. I don't have a problem with a 3rd being spent on it either, but since it is a long term need (won't be an issue this year, maybe not next either) and we have more pressing needs elsewhere, it better be a pretty special center/guard who is far better then anyone who can be had later and molded over the next year or two.
This is the best center class in a long time, so finding someone special probably won't be too hard.

Also, we were freakishly healthy on the OL last year. Nails is the only guy who missed time and that was somewhat expected. So while a OG/C might seem like filling just a long term need, it could turn into an immediate need in a hurry if Hamilton suffers another concussion, father time takes a big bite out of Weigmann, Kuper breaks a bone he can't keep playing with, or Ryan Harris' back acts up (since Kuper would be an option to slide out to RT).

Its worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder to get Mack or Luigs.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
elpasojoe
Solid Starter

Location: El Paso, TX, originally Ordway (southeast) Colorado

I am all for one O-lineman, perhaps day two. I would love Unger, but he will go high. Some of the websites have Vasquez going undrafted. Pick him up as a free agent. Something tells me he is going to stick in the NFL
elpasojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpasojoe View Post
I am all for one O-lineman, perhaps day two. I would love Unger, but he will go high. Some of the websites have Vasquez going undrafted. Pick him up as a free agent. Something tells me he is going to stick in the NFL
Wow, lol, I guess that's why I am not a GM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i really would like to see a guy that goes undrafted as a offensive lineman moved over to the practice squad to play NT. Minimum investment i would like to try it or give Antiono Dixon a call and get him here as a UDFA
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: