The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Announcements, Features and Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2005, 08:34 PM   #201
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
For me it's become all invasive. On "free" TV. On pay TV. On Satellite TV. On Cable TV. On the telephone I pay the bill on. On the internet. On my friggin' NFL Stadium.

And the funny thing is, I don't even think it's product effective. There are more things I won't buy because of their ads.

There's got to be a better way. It's not smart marketing anymore. It's just creepy, invasive, smother marketing.
No doubt, Tre... for example, it doesn't matter how many bloomin' advertisement emails I receive, I'm never going to order any "natural male enhancement supplements"....

E-mail spam annoys me far more than the ads here on the Mane... although I agree that people today are bombarded with ads from all directions. Advertising truly doesn't influence my buying habits all that much unless it's the local grocery store's sale flyer...
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:38 PM   #202
B-Love
Ring of Famer

They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
I heard they were fairly faithful to the story, including the less than galvanizing ending, which sort of turned people off.

Its out on DVD on 11/22. Bigger news. Beavis and Butthead: The Mike Judge Collection Volume One is out on 11/8.
Great news for Judge!! He got such a raw deal from MTV and hardly made any money back then. Then again, much like a young rock band, he signed a real ****ty contract.

Mike Judge acted in bit roles here and there, including the Spy Kids movies, but he deserves a ton of dinero for the great Beavis and Butthead.

For my bachelor party, 12 years ago, I was forced to wear a Beavis and Butthead shirt. The shirt said "I hate stuff that sucks". I wouldn't have wanted to wear any other shirt for my bachelor party.
B-Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:38 PM   #203
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame
I'd also wager you every vbuck I "own" that TJ has substantial capital invested in this site... far beyond any money the ads might bring in.
This is the thing. As much as I don't like the inconvenience of this kind of thing, I wouldn't want to run the site myself. Even if he was making money, it wouldn't likely be near enough to justify the headaches involved with being responsible for it.

Sometimes, you're just damned if you do and damned if you don't.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:40 PM   #204
B-Love
Ring of Famer

They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_Beerslug
"Here's to swimmin, with bow-legged women"
"Show me the way to go home, I'm tired and I want to go to bed. I had a little drink about an hour ago..............................."

Great movie.
B-Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:57 PM   #205
CHANGSTER
You are a pizza burn...

on the roof of the world's mouth

Im kinda new here but i'll still make a comment on this.

Why would anyone complain about a FREE service?

Its like getting a free sample at some food court and you start yelling at the employee cause you didnt like it.

No one told you to eat it. you wanted to cause it was FREE.

I dont think ive ever complained about anything FREE in my life, its just bad taste.
CHANGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:01 AM   #206
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

I run two forums, and they can get expensive. $230 per month to be exact, which is more than my car.

Generally when trying to think of an income method, you want something that will make the site better, rather than worse. I'll give you an example:

Allowing users to buy banner-space at the top & bottom of the page: good. This lets your community make funny banners that are also interesting. Charge $10 a month or so, and put them on rotation.

Putting foreign ads after the first post: bad. It makes the thread hard to read, and detracts from the site.

Last edited by Blart; 10-31-2005 at 12:07 AM..
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:18 AM   #207
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Am I missing something, or can you not just use that little blue bar on the right of your screen and scroll down.

Sweet, feathery Christ.... 9 pages on this?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:22 AM   #208
Needa Pass Rush
Never say Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps
Am I missing something, or can you not just use that little blue bar on the right of your screen and scroll down.

Sweet, feathery Christ.... 9 pages on this?
Did you say Sweet, feathery Christ?
Needa Pass Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:53 AM   #209
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

You know what this means...TJ has to move the ads around every week because we won.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:57 AM   #210
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecRaenos

****ing stupid. This is by far your dumbest idea and I dont give a **** what you do about it and that's saying something because you have had some brainfart's of idea's before.

I hope, by doing this, you lose half the ****ing members of this board because why should they have to watch stupid ****ing ads in the middle of a ****ing thread because you want some extra cash.

You can lie to these ****ing people all you want, I know what the costs are and if you cant afford to maintain this site, then you need to shut it the **** down and get a better job. If you are paying more than 100 bucks a year total for this thing, you are a god damn idiot.

Since this is permanent, I can definately say this is no longer the best site for Bronco's on teh internet, BroncosFreak has surpassed you. ****ing cheap ass sellout.

Raenos so does that mean you are going to run over to the Freaks like you did a couple years ago and start an anti-Omane thread again? Then come crawling back again?

I saw in your ealier post you said you would leave if this was permanent. Well Taco just said it was.

It's easy for you to bag on TJ for trying to cover some costs around here while you sit on your paychecks. How often do you donate? Perhaps if you had done so in the past you wouldn't see the ad.

I can't say I'm thrilled about them in the middle of the page but the online tailgate and the tailgate I throw cost money. My breakeven point on every tailgate is about $300-$350 bucks sometimes it's closer to $400.

1) Parking space $100 per game
2) Food=$100
3) Beer=$80
4) Gas=$40-to and from game running generator all day
5) Misc-$50

We are usually lucky to get less than half of that back. When omaners come town for the annual bash we break even the rest of the games it's not even close but I enjoy the hell out of it (The problem is getting the locals to donate not the Omaners). All you guys always pull thru with food, beer, help, donations etc. I didn't build the bus to save money but I'm still trying to figure out a way to get back what is spent on atleast the hard costs of tailgating stopping short of charging someone per burger or beer. You just can't do that. I keep hoping that the good people will make up for the moochers. They come close sometimes.

I don't know what TJ's expenses are but his time is very valuable and he needs a way to make it up. Alec there is an opportunity cost which you are not taking into account. I can't even imagine how many hours TJ has into this site. Those are hours he could have spent making money with a profitable website. You can tell TJ he needs get a job or you can look yourself in the mirror since you are the one always complaining you can't afford to get to a game.

You've attacked me for having a hidden agenda and I'm here to tell you this is mine. To have fun, help some Broncos fans out with tailgating or getting to a game, and to try and rebuild the spirit of our stadium. Oh and if along the way I meet a Broncos fan who needs to buy a house or some land I'd be glad to help. If that makes me a bad person than I am whatever that you say I am Alec. I'm hear to call you out as a little cry baby biatch.

So it was nice seeing you around Alec and I'll catch you on the Freaks as I'm a member there as well as the Broncos board. One thing I won't miss is you acting like biatch around here.

Oh one more thing. Next time you cry "I can't make it to the game unless OF1 pics me up" do me a favor....call 1-800-G0-GREYHOUND.

Taco brings the Mane......
Myself, the crew, and the volunteers from week to week bring the tailgate.....
Please remind me what you bring to this community Raenos besides some rep whoring and whining?

I admit we had a great time in NewOrleans but there is something fundamentally wrong with your childish behavior that makes me sick.

Later Alec Raenos

TJ,

If the site needs to generate more income I'd start a thread on this subject so we can help you figure it out. I'm sure the members here have a few hundred ways to do it without the mane "Selling it's soul". This is a community TJ. That is why we are here. If you make sudden changes without some sort of feedback from the site your going to keep on getting rep threads and threads like this bro. Maybe that is your intent? It does generate discussion I suppose.

Again I'm not in favor of the adds in the middle of the pages but I support you in need to cover your butt with some dough for all your hard work.

Last edited by Meck77; 10-31-2005 at 01:12 PM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:10 AM   #211
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Meck, think of all the companies that manufacture multi-colored wigs.

They'd love to get an advertising spot on that bus!

Who knows.....maybe Disco could get a modeling gig out of it too.
PatsWin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:53 AM   #212
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needa Pass Rush
Did you say Sweet, feathery Christ?
I look at Popps' Sean Connery avatar along with this phrase, and I can't help but think of Saturday Night Live's hilarious portrayal of Sean Connery with all his crazy phrases...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:57 PM   #213
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Ok, I was fine with it at first, but now the ads are starting to stretch further than my screen and the board seems to be running much slower now.

I am sure with the people on this forum that somebody can recommend some better ad placements or other ways for TJ to generate money for this website. 1 page of posts for me ends up having 3-4 ads in them. It doesn't make me want to click on them in any way shape or form. Lets come together and see if we can figure out a better solution for this.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:04 PM   #214
sippybrew
Just Drafted

At least it isnt as bad as those annoying scripts and pop-ups at the DPO. I can barley get that page to load on my older computer.
sippybrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:08 PM   #215
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Yeah I hate that site too. I don't see any other bronco board with the ad placement that TJ is using. I'm still not sure why TJ thinks this would generate more by just throwing them all over the place. But hey, this is his place and I will continue to post here. I just want people with the knowledge to help him out. Like Alec. He said he knows how TJ can make money without even having to use ads, but yet, I don't think Alec wants to help and that TJ doesn't even want his help. Which is quite sad if that is the case.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:16 PM   #216
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16
Ok, I was fine with it at first, but now the ads are starting to stretch further than my screen and the board seems to be running much slower now.
That has nothing to do with the ads. That's an error with long threads titles and long threads. I'm working with my support to knock down the page list to the second line.

Quote:
I am sure with the people on this forum that somebody can recommend some better ad placements or other ways for TJ to generate money for this website. 1 page of posts for me ends up having 3-4 ads in them. It doesn't make me want to click on them in any way shape or form. Lets come together and see if we can figure out a better solution for this.

You should only have one banner in one place on any given page. How are you getting more than one banner?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:17 PM   #217
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

"This one's for John!" 3:16

Well, how about everyone who posts regularly on this board send a yearly donation towards the up keep. I don't think that for the majority of posters here a once a year "christmas gift" to TJ of say 12-24 or whatever bucks would be a hardship. That's 1-2 bucks a month for 24/7 access. Well except for sundays after the game when it goes down for 5hrs. sorry TJ had to take that jab

REB

1-2-3-!!!!!!!
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:18 PM   #218
Tredici
Ring of Famer

I generally have screaming fast connections. Now the first post in the thread opens. Then a wait. Then the ad banner pops in. Then a wait. Then the rest of the posts finally pop in.

The internet has taught me impatience so it is a pain for me to have this happen on every thread I open. I understand putting the ads in a more prominent place on the Main Page but I'm still not sure I can ever get on board with the same ad popping up on every single thread.

Human nature being what it is, it doesn't make me want to click. But if that's what TJ needs to MAKE IT STOP I promise to click every day....
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:21 PM   #219
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

There should only be these ads:

1. One in between the sticky threads and the regular fare.
2. One after the first post on any given page.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:22 PM   #220
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I've already begun working on a supporter template... for what it's worth...
Old 10-31-2005, 02:31 PM   #221
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John

If the thread has more than one page then it happens every time you move to a new page. So if you have to catch up and go through several pages you have to wait for it load after the first post on that page each time.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:40 PM   #222
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16
I am sure with the people on this forum that somebody can recommend some better ad placements or other ways for TJ to generate money for this website. .

Omane hats, shirts, or pins. Serves two purposes. It would help omaners identify one another at tailgates. There have been dozens of people who have missed one another simply because nobody knew who they were. The tailgates can get large at times. A certain portion of the proceeds would be a profit center for the site.

Custom orange jerseys. There had to have been alteast 40 people who wanted them. Infact Pacino has a contact that the Broncos game him to get this done for a good price. Again omane could organize this and profits go back to the mane. This would also help identify omaners or Omaners could simply where them to their local bar etc.

Hotel/charter bus packages/flights. Tickets discounts. We have the contacts to put this together.

Any of the above need volume and the more participants the cheaper they all get.

If we could tighten up the tailgates a portion of the donations would go back to the Mane.

Did you know Omaners get 10% off at Bills sports collectibles? Disco man set that up. It's one of the best places in Denver to get stuff. We could help TJ set up more deals like this to wear that discounted portion goes back to the mane for our purchases we make anyway. We could do this with hotels, local bars (we have alot of great contacts here). We could set up an omane discount card at multiple related retailers when you guys visit.

The benefit is the members gets the discount and the mane gets some revenue for further improvements, features, server space, help TJ get to a game etc.

Plenty of online opportunities...cut a deal with a site like this.......http://www.universalshopping.com/tailgatetown.html We buy something they pay the mane for the lead. There are hundreds of football related sites we buy crap from. If we knew some money was atleast coming back home (atleast I) would be more inclined to shop with affiliated Omaner partners.

I could go on but just wanted to toss some ideas out. I have a list of 20 more atleast.

Oh one more..sorry.

I've found that the Omaners I have met are pretty savy. We are smarter than the average bear. Alot of people have their own business, side business, sell something. If we had a network area people could help one another out with their business by referring one another deals. Alot of us locals are doing that now once we found out one another does. I'm not so sure with over 4,000 members and I think it says 1,200 active that some referrals wouldn't exchange hands ie computer work, web design, accounting work, loans, real estate services, insurance, art work, you name it. A portion of those transactions could go back to the mane somehow.

**********OR HIT THE PAY PAL LINK AND DONATE SOME MONEY*********** It's a very small price to pay for the fun we all get here. Drink a couple less beers at the bar, buy couple less packs of smokes, or cash in the coin jars. Everybit helps.

***This is not a solicitation from Taco at all. These are all my wacky ideas and stuff I've already read on the mane for a couple years now.

Ok I'm done now.

Last edited by Meck77; 10-31-2005 at 03:00 PM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:44 PM   #223
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John

I'm sorry...but that's just not even a big deal folks. I think it's cool that you're offering an option for others. That's how you run a business
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:52 PM   #224
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco
I'm sorry...but that's just not even a big deal folks. I think it's cool that you're offering an option for others. That's how you run a business

I liked the word you used... "Option."

The ability to participate in the discussion will always be free. This board is not going to go the way of "pay to view." So long as the server is up, people will be able to participate in the discussion. Putting in the ads simply helps me to spread around the costs of running this thing to everybody, and not just the people who are willing to donate. I think that's fair.

This has been a hobby of mine for the last five years, and unlike many of the sites you see around, I haven't put a lot of time in making it financially viable for itself. I just went after what I thought would be cool and of service to the community at large. Well, I'm 30 now, as unbelievable as that is to me, and the funny thing that comes with age is you start to mature in your views of your situation and the long term viability of things. I don't have kids yet, but but the Seniorita and I hope they're not too far off. If I can't justify it as a time consuming vehicle in perspective to my family, what do you think is going to happen?

I don't even have the answer to that question. It's not something I think about. What I do think about is what I can reasonably do next that will keep things up, so that it at least pays for itself... and what can I reasonably do in the future that will start bringing in some profits and try to build my vision of Online Broncosfan Utopia while trying to maintain my career and my mortgage payments each month, and keeping my marraige and family, not to mention this community together.

It's a challenge. No matter what Alec will tell you... This thing isn't easy. It's fun. I love it. It's energizing. It's also draining. There's always something that needs to be done. It's hard to keep up sometimes. All I can say is that I'm doing my best to make this thing viable for the long term so that it's always here to enjoy.

Which leads me back to the ads that are in question... They used to be at the top of the screen and out of the way. That wasn't getting it done. They were too easy to ignore, and that's what happened. I have to bring in at least $80 per month for the bottom of the ladder dedicated server that we are on. It's a grand server, and I'm not putting it down, but we've all seen what happens on Sundays after a loss. It gets clobberd. I've made tweaks hoping that I can keep it up during the next loss. Eventually I hope to get the upgrade. In order to accomplish that, I have moved the ads to a spot where they are getting noticed, and not suprisingly click-throughs have markedly increased. Without having to ask for a red cent from anybody. Without having to ask anybody to do anything. They're getting the job done.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:59 PM   #225
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Ive never seen so many damn crying ***** in one thread. I swear some of the posters here would never post if crying and acting like school children were against the rules.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote