The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
Pezman
Livin the dream

Andy did you hear about this one?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default Ugly, sloppy, and poorly played, yet we win... Is this win satisfying?

Tough game all around. Aside from the referees, who were absolutely atrocious in this mess (Bad calls against the Redskins, absolutely no holding calls either way etc), I really thought we could have and should have won this game walking away. Give major credit to the scrappy Redskins team for putting up a wonderful fight all day and more or less dominating us all day in our house.

Random thoughts that come to mind in this game.

- We are a terrible bad weather team.
For whatever reason, Jake and the boys just do not play well in unfavorable conditions. I realize that some of our games wont be played in great conditions, but looking back at letdown games like this (Oakland at home last year, the Bears at home '03 come to mind), there is clearly a trend forming for this team when the bad or hot weather hits. And if that is the case, I dread playing the Raiders on Christmas Eve day if there is even a hint of snow. We need to take advantage of these conditions better if we expect to play into January.

- Is this win is the most satisfying one of the year?
Yes... In letdown games like this in the past, the Broncos have always managed to bungle it away with stupid penalties and last minute heroics by the other team. Sound familiar to today? Fortunately, we found a way to walk away with very minimal effect. A big win, against a real solid and undefeated team, perhaps the toughest all-around team we have faced all year. Plus no major injuries, and a 1/2 game lead further on the Chiefs makes this one pretty sweet. Tough wins are always the sweetest in my opinion.

- Five games in, has this team found its identity?
Jekell and Hyde reign with this club. We seem to really be streaky at times as this season moves along. After a real smackdown on opening day, this team seemed to really find itself about halfway through the Chargers game. But, after a real laugher against the Chiefs, and a fantastic effort against Jacksonville, we seemed much less inspired today and it showed. Will we be ready for the defending World Champs next week? The Patriots might be the only team that is harder to predict than the Broncos right now. Inconsistancy on both sides of the ball must end if we are to consider ourselves a top-tier club.

- Are we an elite NFL team right now/ Is this team playoff worthy?
Tough wins are the mark of a great franchise, ones that always find a way to get the W even if they did not play well. But does that put us in the league elite? Maybe on defense. Our offense, specifically, the passing game is really a detriment to us right now and our QB and his role must come into focus if we expect to shoulder the real burden of playoff victories on our shoulders.

At 4 and 1, we control the AFC West, life is pretty good right now. Lets just hope we can find a way to win these gritty games and improve the offensive production some more and we can start getting excited about this club's January prospects.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Extremely satisfying.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Bronco9798
Two Time World Champions

Boom Goes The Dynamite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Any win is satisfying. The win column doesn't show highlights, it just tallies the wins.
Bronco9798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

It certainly feels good to win, but satisfying? No. We made too many mistakes and got outplayed in too many areas to feel good about the actual caliber of play out there. We are 4-1, but we are still inconsistent as a team. The level of play even on a bad day like this one is still much better than the Miami game, but I think we are still not quite the elite team that we are shooting to be. The Skins played pretty good, its not just us missing oppurtunities. They forced mistakes too, but still, we were not sharpe. The schedule is going to hit a rough patch now and then in the last 5 weeks of the season its going to hit an extremely rough patch. We are a pretty decent football team, but still will have an extremely hard time getting past 10-6.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Satisfying? No. This offense still made me nervous and today did nothing to change that.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Yes I am satisfied. Look what Dallas did to the Eagles, Jets to Tampa Bay, and right now Jacksonville is on top of the Bengals. This game had "trap" written all over it. After two big wins, with rain and injuries, this is exactly the kind of game that we would've lost last year and the year before.

Are we somewhat inconsistant?

Perhaps in some stats, but we've been consistant in keeping the turnover ratio in our favor and in scoring points off those turnovers. Most of all, we are 4 weeks consistant in wins.

Can we improve? Yes. But I could not care less if we win the next twelve games like we won this one. A win is a win.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #7
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

I'm only satisfied that finally Tatum is able to strut his stuff on the field. Great job by this young man today easily carrying this team to a win.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #8
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore
Yes I am satisfied. Look what Dallas did to the Eagles, Jets to Tampa Bay, and right now Jacksonville is on top of the Bengals. This game had "trap" written all over it. After two big wins, with rain and injuries, this is exactly the kind of game that we would've lost last year and the year before.

Are we somewhat inconsistant?

Perhaps in some stats, but we've been consistant in keeping the turnover ratio in our favor and in scoring points off those turnovers. Most of all, we are 4 weeks consistant in wins.

Can we improve? Yes. But I could not care less if we win the next twelve games like we won this one. A win is a win.

If Champ played it would have been a whole different game.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #9
Ballhawk
Ring of Famer

I will be satisfied when Shanny names Bell the starter. The win is the inportant thing, but Bell is about the only explosive aspect we have on O.

Did anyone else think that Lelie was the focus of this weeks gameplan? We will win on great running and great D!
Ballhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #10
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

This is certainly satisfying. Thank you Atlas.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #11
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco
It certainly feels good to win, but satisfying? No. We made too many mistakes and got outplayed in too many areas to feel good about the actual caliber of play out there. We are 4-1, but we are still inconsistent as a team. The level of play even on a bad day like this one is still much better than the Miami game, but I think we are still not quite the elite team that we are shooting to be. The Skins played pretty good, its not just us missing oppurtunities. They forced mistakes too, but still, we were not sharpe. The schedule is going to hit a rough patch now and then in the last 5 weeks of the season its going to hit an extremely rough patch. We are a pretty decent football team, but still will have an extremely hard time getting past 10-6.

I love your enthusiasm.

I do agree the schedule only gets tougher, but i think after a win like this it will help in the long run. Dirty wins are still a win.

Yes, im very staisfied with the win. The O had wayy to many 3 and outs. BLah blah, the rain, blah blah. Didnt see the Skins having trouble. The Offense needs to get goin or else the D will wear down.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #12
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

"This one's for John!" 3:16

I'm always satisfied with a win. Could we make some improvements? Sure, but so can every other team in the NFL. There are always improvements that can be made. For now though I'll take the win and be happy and leave the other stuff to Shanny and gang.

REB

1-2-3-!!!!!!!
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #13
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

about as satisfying as waking up next to a women in the morning.....

then not remembering how you got there and noticing that you had beer goggles on last night....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #14
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

Default sure, its satisfying...

until tomorrow at least, then I won't be satisfied unless they beat the Pats next week...
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #15
Bronco9798
Two Time World Champions

Boom Goes The Dynamite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco
but we are still inconsistent as a team.
You complain to much. We played a poor game after getting 2 very nice wins in which there was plenty consistencies and now we're still inconsistent as a team. It's one game played in the rain against a good team. Good teams find ways to win. We had some mistakes today. We're going to have more down the road. The question is, is can you overcome them and win. And guess what, we did?
Bronco9798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #16
Got_Moss89?
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas
I knew this excuse would start rolling by...If Springs was in during the whole game you wouldn't have gotten neither of those long runs by bell...

Dont be ungrateful over a win.
Got_Moss89? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #17
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

After the way NU lost this game tastes great, and trust me after we sacked Burnell and I saw a flag on the play I started to cry.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:19 PM   #18
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco9798
You complain to much. We played a poor game after getting 2 very nice wins in which there was plenty consistencies and now we're still inconsistent as a team. It's one game played in the rain against a good team. Good teams find ways to win. We had some mistakes today. We're going to have more down the road. The question is, is can you overcome them and win. And guess what, we did?

More posters should try and be as level headed as SoCal.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:20 PM   #19
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

IM satisfied that Denver won a game that it didnt win in previous years.

Im satisfied that we got a turnover and didn't give any up.

Im satisfied that we can run on anyone, no one can stop us.

Im satisfied that the defense can play like studs even in crap weather.

Im satisfied that we just dethroned one of the unbeaten teams, another went down earlier and yet another is looking to lose against a team we already beat.

Im satisfied that the Astros won the longest playoff game in history to take the series from the Braves 3-1.

Im satisfied that I was there for 13 of those 18 innings and watched both grand slams, another first in playoff history.

Im satisfied with this day in general, and the weekend as well as OU got trounced, Denver won and the Astros took down those silly Braves whom I hate with a passion rivaled only by my passion to hate the Raiders, Chiefs, and Waffle ****nut.

Im satisfied that we dont have to listen to anymore Skin trolls.

Im satisfied that the last two guys from Oklahoma State University have been great additions to our team.

Im satisfied that we are 4-1 on top of the division and only looking to get better.

Are there things I would have liked to seen differently? Sure, but the end result is what I was after, everything else is just gravy.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:20 PM   #20
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Maybe. I do know that if Walls didn't play, it would have been a different game.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #21
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life
More posters should try and be as level headed as SoCal.
Thats boring and this place would suck.

It's more fun to point out the ignorance of dumbasses like Waffle.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #22
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecRaenos
IM satisfied that Denver won a game that it didnt win in previous years.

Im satisfied that we got a turnover and didn't give any up.

Im satisfied that we can run on anyone, no one can stop us.

Im satisfied that the defense can play like studs even in crap weather.

Im satisfied that we just dethroned one of the unbeaten teams, another went down earlier and yet another is looking to lose against a team we already beat.

Im satisfied that the Astros won the longest playoff game in history to take the series from the Braves 3-1.

Im satisfied that I was there for 13 of those 18 innings and watched both grand slams, another first in playoff history.

Im satisfied with this day in general, and the weekend as well as OU got trounced, Denver won and the Astros took down those silly Braves whom I hate with a passion rivaled only by my passion to hate the Raiders, Chiefs, and Waffle ****nut.

Im satisfied that we dont have to listen to anymore Skin trolls.

Im satisfied that the last two guys from Oklahoma State University have been great additions to our team.

Im satisfied that we are 4-1 on top of the division and only looking to get better.

Are there things I would have liked to seen differently? Sure, but the end result is what I was after, everything else is just gravy.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AlecRaenos again.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #23
Pezman
Livin the dream

Andy did you hear about this one?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

I may not be fully satisfied with just getting a W today for sure, but again, after bungling some of these very type of games with an almost unreal efficiency over the past couple of years, I'll take this win gratefully and move on. We can only hope that the team plays lights out next week against a streaky Pats squad since they will be riding high yet again after their big win on the road against the Falcons.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #24
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
I'm not so sure with the time Brunell had today
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #25
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AlecRaenos again.
Well go spread some around and come back