The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default Davis finally living up to his potential

here's a nice piece on your boy, footsteps27.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thorburn: Davis finally living up to his potential
August 15, 2005

Now this is the Dorsett Davis the Denver Broncos thought they drafted three years ago.

Big and athletic. Strong and fast. Unblockable when he wants to be.

Had Davis turned in a preseason performance in 2003 or 2004 like the one he had on Saturday night, the talented defensive tackle would have been in the running for a starting spot.

Not this year. Too little, too low on the totem pole

But with Gerard Warren and Mario Fatafehi sitting out of the Broncos' 20-14 victory over the Houston Texans at Reliant Stadium, Davis nade the most of the extra playing time, finishing with two tackles, a pass defended and creating some pressure on the quarterbacks.

"I'm definitely going to take advantage of this opportunity," the likable Davis promised in the postgame locker room. "When a person goes down the next guy has to step up and have the same intensity."

Davis entered training camp as a starter two years ago, but by the time Denver opened the regular season he was buried on the depth chart. And it wasn't like the team didn't need help at defensive tackle after Daryl Gardener proved to be a complete bust.

The 6-foot-5, 305-pound package of potential spent all of last season on injured reserve after undergoing surgery on his left hand during the first week of training camp.

"I'm just excited to get this (expletive) rolling again," Davis said after a recent practice. The Mississippi native watches his language a lot more carefully in mixed company than he does on the football field or in the locker room. "I'm kicking butt, man. And I'm loving it. I see the fear in the offensive linemen's eyes when I come there. That let's me know that I'm kicking butt, too."

Even though Davis says he feels healthier and happier than he has since his freshman year at Mississippi State, the depth chart says the former third-round pick has dug himself a hole in Denver that will be difficult to get out of.

Warren and Michael Myers are the projected starters with Fatafehi and Monsanto Pope running with the second team. Davis and veteran Luther Elliss will probably both play in the NFL this season, but perhaps not for the Broncos.

"That's all good man," Davis said when asked about his current position on the team. "But once you turn on that tape then you see my work. I ain't worried about what you hear, I worry about what people see."

Perhaps Davis has opened some eyes in the organization. First-year defensive line coach Andre Patterson told the Camera recently that the only thing stopping Davis was Davis.

The fourth-year pro says he finally read the memo.

"I think they have confidence that I can make plays. I've just got to show them that I'm consistent in my technique and being where I'm supposed to be," Davis said. "Consistency is the key. Not blowing the (expletive) up for two plays and taking a play off and coming back and blowing it up. ...

"I don't look at nobody here like they are just dominant over me, like they can do something I can't do. For me it's all up here, all mental. I'm putting it on my shoulders. I'm not leaning on nobody, it's all on me."

It's still a long shot, but perhaps Dorsett Terrell Davis was meant to be a Bronco after all
Old 08-15-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I'm not saying anything. We'll wait and see what happens.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27
That's the right way to go about this. Two years ago, Dorsett ran with the first team through most of camp and was a non-factor during the 03 season.

I hope the Broncos hold onto him for one simple reason: He's one of the few young guys on the defensive line with room to grow.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27
Exactly.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

This shouldn't come as a suprise to anybody. Most of us called this two weeks ago. You'll see a good bit of Davis in the pre-season so teams will have some good tape of him and we can go after that trade. The chances of him remaining in Denver are about 5%. 50% trade and 45% he is cut... very slim chance of him remaining in Denver. The only way he remains is by really lighting it up and making the Broncos think twice and as good as he's been this camp and pre-season he's not lighting it up to make the brass think twice...not yet anyhow.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Of course he is. Its contract year for a guy on our Dline.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Davis should of read the memo before we brought in 5 new linemen and Kept Pryce. However, Brown, Pryce, Ekuban and Engleberger are all DE's. When he was drafted, people said he looked like a Bruce Smith clone. Played like Jane clone. Yeah, he seriously hurt his little finger, which has generated some giggles, but it was more serious than it sounded, unless they cut his finger off, evidently.

I think he's still got a long road and will probably need an injury to make the roster. Maybe two, and who want's that? Maybe a player for player swap. We don't really need a conditional draft choice, we have quite a few and will probably get two more for Heyward and Kenoy. I wish we would of picked up Rod Garner for a second day pick than to now have Jerry Rice as our #3. That's not good IMO. Watt's has to stop dropping balls.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock
Davis should of read the memo before we brought in 5 new linemen and Kept Pryce. However, Brown, Pryce, Ekuban and Engleberger are all DE's. When he was drafted, people said he looked like a Bruce Smith clone. Played like Jane clone. Yeah, he seriously hurt his little finger, which has generated some giggles, but it was more serious than it sounded, unless they cut his finger off, evidently.

I think he's still got a long road and will probably need an injury to make the roster. Maybe two, and who want's that? Maybe a player for player swap. We don't really need a conditional draft choice, we have quite a few and will probably get two more for Heyward and Kenoy. I wish we would of picked up Rod Garner for a second day pick than to now have Jerry Rice as our #3. That's not good IMO. Watt's has to stop dropping balls.

Davis is a big guy that we need on the line, caz i agree what was said earlier, he is one of the only young guys on the line that has room for improvement. He has untapped potential and i want him here when that potential is released.
And mock found a way to get watts in this thread. lol, even tho it had nothing to do with offense or Wr's
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:36 PM   #9
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

all hype until we see results
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:58 PM   #10
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Man 13
This shouldn't come as a suprise to anybody. Most of us called this two weeks ago. You'll see a good bit of Davis in the pre-season so teams will have some good tape of him and we can go after that trade. The chances of him remaining in Denver are about 5%. 50% trade and 45% he is cut... very slim chance of him remaining in Denver. The only way he remains is by really lighting it up and making the Broncos think twice and as good as he's been this camp and pre-season he's not lighting it up to make the brass think twice...not yet anyhow.
If he plays like he did last night, he'll beat those odds and remain in Denver.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:38 PM   #11
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

I was impressed with his play and if he keeps up the effort they will find a place on the roster for him.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:36 PM   #12
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

I can understand people having a wait-and-see attitude, but I'm optimistic. He was all over the field the other night and he's always aced the eyeball test.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:52 PM   #13
labronco
Ring of Famer

with or without the finger amputation, i cannot trust somebody who sat out the whole season because of a pinky injury, after majorly underachieving since getting drafted. shouldn't have drafted him the first place.
labronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:05 PM   #14
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by labronco
with or without the finger amputation, i cannot trust somebody who sat out the whole season because of a pinky injury, after majorly underachieving since getting drafted. shouldn't have drafted him the first place.
Jack Lambert retired because of his toe. What a nancy boy.

I'm fairly certain the team made the decision to place Dorsett on IR, which shut him down for the year.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:13 PM   #15
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I liked how he said you can't blow up a play, then take a play off. He gets the picture. Last year the interior DL did play hot and cold way too much. He was one of the guys that stood out in the first preseason game, playing on the first team.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:16 PM   #16
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
If he plays like he did last night, he'll beat those odds and remain in Denver.
Apparently, Dorsett understands consistency is the key.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #17
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

I've had company all weekend and I couldn't give the game undivided attention today, but it seemed to me like Davis was serving notice that the old Dorsett has died and he's been born again hard.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:49 PM   #18
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Man 13
I couldn't disagree more.

1. Right now Davis is running on the third team with Fatafehi and Pope on the second team. Now I like Pope, but if Davis can be consistent he could push his way past Pope easily. He has the physical tools and the mental part of the game is starting to come together as well.

2. I think it is a safe bet that we keep 9 or 10 DL. If we keep 9 Davis would be the choice over Ellis, Coleman, or Palepoi (More upside.) If we keep 10, which is more likely with the injury history on the DL as a whole, Davis has even more of an opportunity to stick.

3. Shanny does not like to give up on his draft choices. Deltha, Middlebrooks, and Griese are examples of guys who were allowed to stay way too long. Shanny has way too much pride in this area. However, it will serve the Broncs well here. Young talent on the DL is hard to develop and hard to keep. It looks as if Dorsett may finally get it this year.

And I'm willing to cut him some slack. His first year he was rookie and didn't understand his role and how to play. Happens to a lot of rookies. The next year, he goes on IR because of the pinky. Would I have endured a lifetime of disfigurement? Probably not and I have to say I respect his choice. After all, it is just a job and he is young. If the Broncs want to cut him for not MAIMING himself, I'd have to side with Davis. So this is really his first opportunity to amend for his rookie year. It looks like the Broncs are going to give him a chance. I think he'll be a productive player in the DL rotation this year.

If, however, they do trade him, I'll be pissed if it's anything less than a 4th rounder. There's so much potential there.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:55 PM   #19
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Davis was on the first team D.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:55 PM   #20
Pat Bowlen
President/Chief Executive

Quote:
Originally Posted by labronco
with or without the finger amputation, i cannot trust somebody who sat out the whole season because of a pinky injury
This is a fairly idiotic thing to say.
Pat Bowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:58 PM   #21
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default Depth chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon
Davis was on the first team D.
When was Davis on First team? Right now the Broncs depth chart has Myers and Warren on the 1st team and Fatafehi and Pope on the 2nd. In the Texans game Dorsett may have had more reps with the 1st or 2nd unit due to Myers, Warren, and Fatafehi not playing. (Waitaminute....did Myers play? I can't remember.)
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:00 AM   #22
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Wow hes a one preseason game wonder lets see if he can play like that when it counts. I watched the game and I have to admit he was dominent but I would rather keep someone like Palipoi around. Davis had a shot but I hope to God that someone with more upside dosent get cut in his stead...

BTW- Chuck looked solid, he can fly for a guy his size and the fumble he forced showed his game smarts...taking advantage of a youngen. Another second stringer I noticed again a LB was Pierce hes not noted for having good off field speed but his game speed was incredible.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:01 AM   #23
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway
When was Davis on First team? Right now the Broncs depth chart has Myers and Warren on the 1st team and Fatafehi and Pope on the 2nd. In the Texans game Dorsett may have had more reps with the 1st or 2nd unit due to Myers, Warren, and Fatafehi not playing. (Waitaminute....did Myers play? I can't remember.)

Warren didn't play in that game so maybe thats why or when.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:02 AM   #24
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Myers played.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:05 AM   #25
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Myers and Davis played first team D from the first snap against the Texans.