The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2005, 06:52 PM   #26
ro_50
Ring of Famer

Racism does exist in this country. My parents are from India and I was born and raised in Alabama. I'm 25. Its not that bad for me since I dont look like the Indians that come from my native country and speak clear english.

But I've been pulled over a couple of times, once in 1997 for apparently rolling a stop sign and my friend (who was Vietenamese) were patted down and they looked in my trunk for something (which I have no idea what for) since I was driving my dad's honda civic and my friend was driving his honda accord. The one cop said that my friend's accord fit the description of a car that was stolen and thats why we got stopped and for me rolling a stop sign. Oh yeah, this happened at 3 am when we were coming out of a church lock-in and we had no drugs (i dont do them) or alcohol on us and we showed them our ids, proof of insurance as well.

And the other time was a week after 9/11, i was driving home from Atl to Huntsville, AL. this is a trip ive made at least 50 times and i was pulled over in New Hope, Al. I was going the speed limit (47 in a 50 zone) and the cop who pulled me over said "he wanted to do a background check on me." after about 10 mins (he took my license and went over to his car) and then let me go and said "you are clear to go."

I think racism exists and I think I was pulled over twice cuz of my skin color. I know there are far more extreme cases of racism than mine, which were minor. But it does exist and for those that dont beleive it does, they need to become aware of it.

I'm dating an black girl right now and since I moved to the north (Michigan), people dont stare at us when we go out. But when I lived in alabama and was dating a black girl, we got more stares.

It depends on what is the social context of where you live.

Last edited by ro_50; 06-03-2005 at 06:56 PM..
ro_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:20 PM   #27
TheNextStep
The Enemy Within

I'm one of those people who is really, really touchy about race. I despise racism and do not tolerate racism... which made my stay in south Texas interesting.

That said, I have an honest question about something that's puzzled me for a while:

I know that back before the civil rights movement, one of the many racial slurs used was to call a black person a "spade." So here's the question: The expression, "I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade"... is that a derivative of card playing, is it a racist expression, or is there some other origin for the expression?
TheNextStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #28
labronx
Remember 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic
However, the way of life in the South was more DEPENDENT on slavery. They were fighting for their way of life and their right to continue with their way of life. It was much more complicated than the slavery issue.

two humans fighting over the right to own another human?
because one claims that he is used to living that way?
so he needs to own a human in order to survive?
he can't survive on his own?
common now!
or is it that he needs to own him to feel in control of his life of his world or the world to be fullfilled?
it's as simple as that right? or no?

tell me where does it get complicated?
the economics of the south, agriculture, legalities, social pshycology of the south,slave dependancy, drug dependancy, women, vice, where does it end!

adaptation my friend thats the way of life.
Thats the whole reason we are here!

no excuses!

Only The Strong Survive!
We Livin' THIS till the day that we die
Survival of the Fittest!

Last edited by labronx; 06-03-2005 at 07:28 PM..
labronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #29
labronx
Remember 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextStep
I'm one of those people who is really, really touchy about race. I despise racism and do not tolerate racism... which made my stay in south Texas interesting.

That said, I have an honest question about something that's puzzled me for a while:

I know that back before the civil rights movement, one of the many racial slurs used was to call a black person a "spade." So here's the question: The expression, "I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade"... is that a derivative of card playing, is it a racist expression, or is there some other origin for the expression?
whats up man!

I alwayz wondered about that one and thought about it through the card game, however it didn't make sense, because then, anything will apply?

like im not afraid to call a square a square or im not afraid to call a dog a dog or you know... it can go on forever.

good one!

hopefully someone will fill us in
Old 06-03-2005, 07:33 PM   #30
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextStep

Here's a rather lengthy explanation of the origin of that phrase, courtesy of yaelf.com.

"to call a spade a spade"

(Phrase Origins)

is NOT an ethnic slur.
It derives from an ancient Greek expression: _ta syka syka, te:n
skaphe:n de skaphe:n onomasein_ = "to call a fig a fig, a trough a
trough". This is first recorded in Aristophanes' play _The Clouds_
(423 B.C.), was used by Menander and Plutarch, and is still current
in modern Greek. There has been a slight shift in meaning: in
ancient times the phrase was often used pejoratively, to denote a
rude person who spoke his mind tactlessly; but it now, like the
English phrase, has an exclusively positive connotation. It is
possible that both the fig and the trough were originally sexual
symbols.
In the Renaissance, Erasmus confused Plutarch's "trough"
(_skaphe:_) with the Greek word for "digging tool" (_skapheion_;
the two words are etymologically connected, a trough being
something that is hollowed out) and rendered it in Latin as _ligo_.
Thence it was translated into English in 1542 by Nicholas Udall in
his translation of Erasmus's version as "to call a spade [...] a
spade". (_Bartlett's Familiar Quotations_ perpetuates Erasmus'
error by mistranslating _skaphe:_ as "spade" three times under
Menander.)
"To call a spade a bloody shovel" is not recorded until 1919.
"Spade" in the sense of "Negro" is not recorded until 1928. (It
comes from the colour of the playing card symbol, via the phrase
"black as the ace of spades".)

This, of course, does *not* necessarily render the modern use of
"to call a spade a spade" "politically correct". Rosalie Maggio, in
_The Bias-Free Word-Finder_, writes: "The expression is associated
with a racial slur and is to be avoided", and recommends using "to
speak plainly" or other alternatives instead. In another entry, she
writes: "Although by definition and derivation '****ardly' and
'****er' are completely unrelated, '****ardly' is too close for
comfort to a word with profoundly negative associations. Use
instead one of the many available alternatives: stingy, miserly,
parsimonious..." Beard and Cerf, in _The Official Politically
Correct Handbook_, p. 123, report that an administrator at the
University of California at Santa Cruz campaigned for the banning
of such phrases as "a chink in his armor" and "a nip in the air",
because "chink" and "nip" are also derogatory terms for "Chinese
person" and "Japanese person" respectively. In the late 1970s in
the U.S., a boycott of the (now defunct) Sambo's restaurant chain
was organized, even though the name "Sambo's" was a combination of
the names of its two founders and did not come from the offensive
word for dark-skinned person.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:39 PM   #31
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I remember the Sambo's thing...we had one in the town I lived in at the time and they made them change their name to No Place Like Sam's.....I think it was bought out by Friendlys...or was it Perkins?
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #32
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
I remember the Sambo's thing...we had one in the town I lived in at the time and they made them change their name to No Place Like Sam's.....I think it was bought out by Friendlys...or was it Perkins?
I don't buy that excuse, either. I remember a mural on the wall of a little dark skinned boy messing with a tiger, who was pretending to be asleep, in my neighborhood Sambo's.

I just reread that and it looks like a bad joke, but it was true.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #33
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Racism is still here , granted not like it was in the 30's but it is still here , you want to see Racism ? be a whitey and go on a res , this is no Joke , a Guy was killed 3 years ago on the wind river Res, murder still hasnt been solved ... 2 Years ago right here in Casper , So. Poplar street , a guy just moved from Chicago , Shot and killed a black man cause he was black , North A street , a 18 Year old Male was taken into custody last year for Chasin black People with a 12 gauge shotgun ( he had just moved from Cali)
then of course we have the Mathew Sheppard case , well that wasnt Racism , that was homophobes ........
Casper can be a bad ass place , we have rough necks comming from everywhere , another boom happening right now in Casper , and Booms attract young people single wild and have nothing to lose , looking for a job .......
Just like the guy that pulled a knife on me a few months back , From Cali , thinking he could push this redneck around ..........
so I think we are getting alot of rejects from other states , moving here , thinking Racism is ok, and pushing locals around is ok ..........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #34
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Hell we are actually having Traffic Jams , built almost 200 miles of new surface streets , 750 new houses another 2500 planned .........
Old 06-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #35
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Jeepers Ro 50.

That ain't kosher.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:56 PM   #36
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Mock hurt his left foot.

Dammit. God dammit.

I think it's healing. I have a bad hip, knee ankle and toe on the right foot. My left leg is fine.

I will fall down like a frog if my left leg goes...

Last edited by watermock; 06-03-2005 at 09:00 PM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #37
labronx
Remember 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by §Pide®
Hell we are actually having Traffic Jams , built almost 200 miles of new surface streets , 750 new houses another 2500 planned .........
man spide,

your freakin' scarying me. Ima have to walk alone in the parking lot after work.

seriously though, some pretty crazy stuff hapenin up there.
Shoot the fact that it's named Casper scares me right there.

LA is more drug or gang or money driven crimes they are not as obviously racist as the ones you described

that kinda s*t scares the crap out of city boys and in a way im from the woods too.
Id **** my pants if hicks or reds are maddoggin me I wouldn't stay a minute in that town from what you make it seem.

"honey just keep your eyes on the road and keep drivin', don't stop!"

so are they those crimes federal being that they are racially motivated?
Old 06-03-2005, 09:51 PM   #38
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by labronx
man spide,

your freakin' scarying me. Ima have to walk alone in the parking lot after work.

seriously though, some pretty crazy stuff hapenin up there.
Shoot the fact that it's named Casper scares me right there.

LA is more drug or gang or money driven crimes they are not as obviously racist as the ones you described

that kinda s*t scares the crap out of city boys and in a way im from the woods too.
Id **** my pants if hicks or reds are maddoggin me I wouldn't stay a minute in that town from what you make it seem.

"honey just keep your eyes on the road and keep drivin', don't stop!"

so are they those crimes federal being that they are racially motivated?
No , the one on So. Poplar was ruled Drug related , despite the witness hearing th guy say Die you F'n ni**&r , and the guy with a shotgun Was tried in county court , we dont have much of a federal infrastructur here in Casper , the guy that died on the Res , well his death will never be found out , and if so , be hard to convict .......
Most of us believe in the state motto "Equal Rights" ...... it is the elements from other states that are giving us a bad name .......In fact a woman lives 3 houses down from me , black , lived here all of her life , Her mom Ran a bording house back in the late 1800's and she has never had a Problem with Racism , in Fact there are 4 black Familys on this block , and they are better nieghbors then I am ........
Old 06-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #39
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

oh and about the name Casper , well he was a Lt. in the army , in charge of protecting settlers , and travelers in this area , being 50 miles north of Ft. Fetterman it was a daunting task. The Native americans were out for blood after the Sand Creek massacre that happened in Colo .
Well there are 3 stories about the demise of Casper ......
1. Capser Collins died protecting settlers from a Indian uprising .....
2. Collins died protecting soldier , that was wounded in a battle ....
3. A tribe of Lakotas attacked Ft. Casper , and to save the Unit Casper Collins Charged head on to buy time for the wounded to escape ......
Despitewhat story you want to believe , Casper died going for it , and that means somthing here , they finaly found Casper collins Rifle in the Plate ¼ Mile from Ft.Casper , so the 3 rd story has the most credit ........
BTW , Ft.Collins was named after Caspers Dad , both were from Ohio , sent here to tame the west ....
Old 06-03-2005, 10:41 PM   #40
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock
Mock hurt his left foot.

Dammit. God dammit.

I think it's healing. I have a bad hip, knee ankle and toe on the right foot. My left leg is fine.

I will fall down like a frog if my left leg goes...
Keep it out of your mouth and you won't have that problem.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:17 AM   #41
BRONCCRUSHFAN
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco: Ben Hamilton

Location: Football Town U.S.A. The Mile High City, where God created beauty right outside the front door.

I had the fortunate or unfortunate pleasure (depending on your point of view), to have been on every Continent in the world besides Antarctica and Europe. We as Americans have come farther in the last 40 years, than some nations have in several hundred. For instance, take a good look at Rwanda. Although yes both sides of that rebellion were Africans, they didn't see it that way and tried to commit genicide on the other (If you want a good movie, check out Hotel Rwanda). The same goes in Ethiopia, Somalia, and the Middle East. We view these people as Africans and Arabs, they don't even see one another as part of the same race. It makes you evaluate how precious life is, when you see what Sunni Muslims will do to ****e Muslims. Now, you are going to say that is religious based and not race based, but they are exactly the same. People hating people for their differences (i.e Race, color, creed, religious denomination, or sexual orientation).

I am very excited to see where America will be 40 years from now, seeing how far we've come in such a short time. Unfortunately though, I don't think you will totally get rid of Racism. The only hope we have is to cripple it so bad, that the severe minority are the only idiots out there.

However, I firmly believe in my heart that some of the groups and government agencies that are designed to fight racism, actually encourage it. I say this, because if you were to Eracism, they would have no purpose, and therefore would not receive funds. Imagine Jessie Jackson or the ACLU trying to justify their existance and government funding, if racism were destroyed.
BRONCCRUSHFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:27 AM   #42
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by labronx
two humans fighting over the right to own another human?
because one claims that he is used to living that way?
so he needs to own a human in order to survive?
he can't survive on his own?
common now!
or is it that he needs to own him to feel in control of his life of his world or the world to be fullfilled?
it's as simple as that right? or no?
America fought with herself over the idea of slavery being used to maintain the economy of the South and determining the direction of the future. The southern states were dependent on crops taken from the plantation. That's the way of life I'm talking about. The North was more into manufacturing, but the South depended on slaves to keep their economy moving. If you think that it's merely a question of the North being right and the South being wrong over the slavery issue, you need to read up on the issues surrounding the Civil War.

That's one of the reasons that Lincoln "freed the slaves" in 1863. The southern economy would have taken a big hit if the slaves left the plantation. It was more of a strategic ploy to weaken the resolve of the South rather than "the right thing to do". In fact, after the Emancipation Proclamation, black people were "free" but they had nowhere to go. Lincoln didn't care about the slaves as human beings. In fact, the Constitution at the time stated that a black person only counted as 2/3 of a person. He wanted to hit the South in the pocketbook. Slaves were just pawns in a larger game. There is no doubt that slavery was a BIG issue, but it wasn't the only issue at work.
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:45 AM   #43
TheNextStep
The Enemy Within

Thank you for the answer, Slap. I can't tell you how long that's bothered me.

I'd rep you but I apparently must spread it around some more...
TheNextStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:58 AM   #44
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

25% of what we call "racism" is crybabies needing an excuse to cover their own inadequacies. That goes for "reverse-racism" also.

25% of "racism" is peer pressure. "Birds of a feather flock together", basically.

Another 25% of racism isn't racial at all - it's YOU'RE AN a-hole! NOBODY likes you.

The last 25% of racism is racism, pure and simple. And usually that's pure ignorance. Daddy and Mommy were racists, and the next generation never breaks away from that indoctrination.

If you start by assuming humans are no different than chimpanzees, it all makes sense. If you start out expecting humans to be better than chimpanzees, you're just setting yourself up to be enraged by human behavior. That is the sum lesson of my life's experience with humans, and I've been around the block a few times.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:30 AM   #45
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Hate is a total wasteful thing . in the timeeveryone spends hating one another we could have probally wiped hunger out of most of the world , cured cancer,and load of stuff.

I see "white" people of today sometimes be ignorant to things they themselfs havent faced.While not being maybe a part of the problem they are in ways blind to the fact there is one ,while some are just stupid hate loven red necks who hate things they dont know , wont know , and probally wouldn't understand if you spelled it out to them in 3rd grade speech.

While some see past color to the heart of the man and care for all and understand the past and push foward to when everyone is as we was ment to be

I see "black" people today struggle to feel accepted in their own home town struggle to find a voice who actually is working for their benifit and battle a wound that aint healed yet,While some are mean ,bitter,and uncaring about their own race or any other and are just as unwilling to heal the wound.

While some are working hard to lift themselfs and ALL around them to better things and knowing where they came from and understanding it but not wanting to use it for their gain,as they build a future

racism .. 1 little word that strikes so many feelings...

I do not blame the little old "white" lady who is scared when encounters a group of "black" teens ...

I do not blame "black" middle aged man who fears they are being picked out by the police for their color .

I blame us all for letting something like hate fill so much of the short amount of time we have here , and hope someday we can understand Pain makes us equal . Our souls make us equal . Love makes us equal. Death makes us equal ,
"Colors" just make us different ....
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:08 AM   #46
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

I haven't seen Crash. I heard that its just relentless in its message, though. Literally every scene is race driven. I've never been anywhere like that or experienced anything like that, so I tend to believe the film maker kind of went overboard to make his points.

I have never understood the term "reverse racism". I think racism is racism. I know a lot of black people will claim that its impossible for any black person to be racist because its only natural for a persecuted underclass to hate the people who oppress them. I've seen Spike Lee and Harry Edwards play this card many times. It makes sense. Racism is their bread and butter. They don't want to be reminded that they perpetuate it, though.

I don't think we'll ever see an end to racism. Ethnocentrism is deeply ingrained into many people and that condition typically metastasizes into racism, given a little time and the proper (inevitable) conditions.

I used to wring my hands over racism and wish it would go away, but its a Quixotic quest. The best we can do is treat the people we care about as well as we can and let the rest shake out as it will.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:24 AM   #47
BRONCCRUSHFAN
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco: Ben Hamilton

Location: Football Town U.S.A. The Mile High City, where God created beauty right outside the front door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
I've seen Spike Lee and Harry Edwards play this card many times. It makes sense. Racism is their bread and butter. They don't want to be reminded that they perpetuate it, though.

I don't think we'll ever see an end to racism. Ethnocentrism is deeply ingrained into many people and that condition typically metastasizes into racism, given a little time and the proper (inevitable) conditions.

I used to wring my hands over racism and wish it would go away, but its a Quixotic quest. The best we can do is treat the people we care about as well as we can and let the rest shake out as it will.
You must spread some more reputation around before giving it to Slap again (or whatever the hell that message says).
BRONCCRUSHFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:29 AM   #48
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

"This one's for John!" 3:16

Here's an idear................ Stop

REB

1-2-3-:broncos:
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:42 AM   #49
ClevelandBronco2
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp
Hate is a total wasteful thing . in the timeeveryone spends hating one another we could have probally wiped hunger out of most of the world , cured cancer,and load of stuff.

I see "white" people of today sometimes be ignorant to things they themselfs havent faced.While not being maybe a part of the problem they are in ways blind to the fact there is one ,while some are just stupid hate loven red necks who hate things they dont know , wont know , and probally wouldn't understand if you spelled it out to them in 3rd grade speech.

While some see past color to the heart of the man and care for all and understand the past and push foward to when everyone is as we was ment to be

I see "black" people today struggle to feel accepted in their own home town struggle to find a voice who actually is working for their benifit and battle a wound that aint healed yet,While some are mean ,bitter,and uncaring about their own race or any other and are just as unwilling to heal the wound.

While some are working hard to lift themselfs and ALL around them to better things and knowing where they came from and understanding it but not wanting to use it for their gain,as they build a future

racism .. 1 little word that strikes so many feelings...

I do not blame the little old "white" lady who is scared when encounters a group of "black" teens ...

I do not blame "black" middle aged man who fears they are being picked out by the police for their color .

I blame us all for letting something like hate fill so much of the short amount of time we have here , and hope someday we can understand Pain makes us equal . Our souls make us equal . Love makes us equal. Death makes us equal ,
"Colors" just make us different ....
Looks like you're working to spread the light, TDmvp. Until the truth is accepted, none of us can be free.
ClevelandBronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:35 AM   #50
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

everytime i hear jesse jackson or al sharpton whine @ what ol white america owes them i wonder if theyve ever been to gettsyburg to honor all those poor white boys that fought to end slavery.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote