The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth
Default Rod Smith Appreciation thread

Part of the SoCalBronco posse!

Post up some Rod Smith quotes. I know we got some Rod haters out there. Save your teary eyed complaining for another thread. This is just for saying thanks for his dedication and leadership.

Here are some interesting numbers to consider:Rod needs 677 to beat Shannon Sharpe for most team receptions: He is at 633

Rod needs to beat 55 TD to be ahead of Shannon Sharpe for most team TDs. (95-03)

Rod is second in team history 95-97 best average per punt return behind Darrien Gordon 12.29 vs. 12.46

Rod has most total yards from scrimmage1994-2003 8,940 ahead of TD @ 8,887

Rod is third in teams history for most combined yards 9,455. He is behind Phil Upchurch 10,081 and Floyd Little 12,157.

Rod has scored 12 TD's in a year making him third after Watson 13 and Miller 14.
(I'd like to see Rod take Miller out!)

Rod has most consecutive game with a reception 1999-2003 -- 76 Ed is number two with 68.

Guess what? The most consecutive games with a touchdown is 6. Why can't one of our current guys beat that?

FYI: Clinton Portis got 1,905 yards in 2003. I would love to Tatum Bell break 2,000 or get a Pro Bowl nomination. Clinton got 1,508 in his rookie campaign.
Best rushing average for 5.50 yards per carry. (TD 4.60 in 95-01) Clinton got 29 TD in 02-03 - I would love to see Bell stop talking and start tearing these numbers off the boards.

(information from www.denverbroncos.com)
-------------Rod Smith Sig---------------------------------------------
Smith has taken Watts under his wing during the Broncos' offseason workout program. So what does he expect from Watts in his sophomore season?

"He's going to have a big year," Smith said. "His fear of failure is amazing. That's what will drive him. I know, because it's the same thing that drives me." ...

Smith, on the horde of Browns D-linemen-turned-Broncos: "I like their mentality. It's like they got released from jail or something. They didn't bring their baggage. They left it at the airport in Cleveland." ...

Last edited by Odysseus; 05-11-2005 at 08:09 PM..
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Good post. Rod has always been one of my favorite Broncos and he's definetly a great guy as well.

Thank you Rod!
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Rod is unquestionably the heart and soul of this team. Good to see him getting props.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Hot Rod, baby!

Old 05-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
****Oakland

I've got my ORANGE CRUSH!

Default God Bless Rod Smith.!

Best player in the league with regards to HEART and determination.

The Soul of this team, where Rod goes the Broncos follow.

He is one of the most valuable elements of this team. Such a presence!

He can really rally the troops and bring back the pride to this up and coming offense!!!

Last edited by ****Oakland; 05-11-2005 at 08:39 PM..
****Oakland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:16 PM   #6
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Keep up the excellent work Rod and thanks for the many autographs. He takes the time and signs after every single game.

If we only had a team full of players with his love for the game and his work ethic!!!
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

You da man Rod.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:27 PM   #8
Champbaileystopsmoss
Seasoned Veteran

"Here's to the Drunken Clam, where they don't ask for proof of ID and neither do I. "

In Rod We Trust!!
Champbaileystopsmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:41 PM   #9
TheNextStep
The Enemy Within

I like Rod Smith. He's quiet, productive, has overcome adversity, and doesn't believe his own press clippings.

But Chris Cooper could SO kick Rod's ass.
TheNextStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #10
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:27 PM   #11
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Rod Smith is the third greatest offensive player in team history and he's easily a top five player of all-time.

Last edited by Bronco LB 59; 05-11-2005 at 10:35 PM..
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #12
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52
Rod Smith is the third greatest offensive player in team history and he's easily a top five player of all-time.
Who do you have at #2...Sharpe, or T.D?
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:41 PM   #13
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo
Norris Weese is #2
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:54 PM   #14
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo
Career value, Sharpe is #2.

Peak value, TD.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:05 AM   #15
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

To bad he doesn't come to the site Or I'd give him all my rep points.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:45 AM   #16
MT-Tdawg
TIMAY!!!

Adopt a Bronco: BIG AL #56

Rod's the man.
MT-Tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:53 AM   #17
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

He ranks as my second favorite Bronco of all-time and that is saying a lot.

SSJ
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:08 AM   #18
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiettiger
Part of the SoCalBronco posse!

Post up some Rod Smith quotes. I know we got some Rod haters out there. Save your teary eyed complaining for another thread. This is just for saying thanks for his dedication and leadership.

Here are some interesting numbers to consider:Rod needs 677 to beat Shannon Sharpe for most team receptions: He is at 633

Rod needs to beat 55 TD to be ahead of Shannon Sharpe for most team TDs. (95-03)

Rod is second in team history 95-97 best average per punt return behind Darrien Gordon 12.29 vs. 12.46

Rod has most total yards from scrimmage1994-2003 8,940 ahead of TD @ 8,887

Rod is third in teams history for most combined yards 9,455. He is behind Phil Upchurch 10,081 and Floyd Little 12,157.

Rod has scored 12 TD's in a year making him third after Watson 13 and Miller 14.
(I'd like to see Rod take Miller out!)

Rod has most consecutive game with a reception 1999-2003 -- 76 Ed is number two with 68.

Guess what? The most consecutive games with a touchdown is 6. Why can't one of our current guys beat that?

FYI: Clinton Portis got 1,905 yards in 2003. I would love to Tatum Bell break 2,000 or get a Pro Bowl nomination. Clinton got 1,508 in his rookie campaign.
Best rushing average for 5.50 yards per carry. (TD 4.60 in 95-01) Clinton got 29 TD in 02-03 - I would love to see Bell stop talking and start tearing these numbers off the boards.

(information from www.denverbroncos.com)
-------------Rod Smith Sig---------------------------------------------
Smith has taken Watts under his wing during the Broncos' offseason workout program. So what does he expect from Watts in his sophomore season?

"He's going to have a big year," Smith said. "His fear of failure is amazing. That's what will drive him. I know, because it's the same thing that drives me." ...

Smith, on the horde of Browns D-linemen-turned-Broncos: "I like their mentality. It's like they got released from jail or something. They didn't bring their baggage. They left it at the airport in Cleveland." ...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:27 AM   #19
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Moss Quote:
Randy Moss, explaining the no-look, over-the-shoulder lateral to Moe Williams for a 59-yard touchdown: "It' a once-in-a-lifetime thing that only happens every so often."

Rod's Quote:
Rod Smith, when asked if he had ever seen a similar play to the Randy Moss to Moe Williams, no-look, over-the-shoulder lateral play: "Yeah, on PlayStation."

---A humorous pause for effect...

Other football notables:
Paul Tagliabue, NFL Commissioner: "I'm a firm believer that all sports will eventually be global. Someday, we may have a quarterback from China named Yao Fling."

John Lynch, Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety, commenting on the Budweiser beer commercials featuring the me-first football player Leon: "Great commercials during the game. Especially like the Budweiser one with Keyshawn...I mean Leon."

Marvin Lewis, suggesting that coaches should be able to add monikers on players uniforms, like "He Hate Me" during training camp, he suggested the following examples: "He Doesn't Listen,"; He Jumps Offsides"; and "He Can't See."

Jeff Gordon, St. Louis Post-Dispatch writer, commenting on the poor attendance at Arizona Cardinal games: "If Marc Bulger throws an interception in Sun Devil Stadium and nobody is there to see it, is it still an interception?"

George Will: "Football incorporates the two worst elements of American society: violence punctuated by committee meetings.

George Rogers: "I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."
Big Daddy Lipscomb: "I just wrap my arms around the whole backfield and peel 'em one by one until I get to the ball carrier. Him I keep."

Lincoln Kennedy, Oakland Raiders tackle, on his decision not to vote: "I was going to write myself in, but I was afraid I'd get shot."

Jim Finks, when asked after a loss what he thought of the officiating: "I'm not allowed to comment on lousy referees."
Old 05-12-2005, 03:31 AM   #20
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

FYI: Shannon has 55 recieving touchdowns. Rod has 52. Caught it!
Old 05-12-2005, 03:32 AM   #21
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Thanks a lot Rod, you are definitely a class act and a fantastic player.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:33 AM   #22
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Broncos WR Rod Smith on Broncos strength coach Rich Tuten, whose sled drill takes mental and physical strength to complete: "I kind of question his mental state. He can be like the Stephen King of coaching. Sometimes I just shake my head and look at him: 'You need a hug, don't you? Your wife ain't giving you enough hugs. I'm going to have to talk to her.' "

More Smith on the 185-to-220-pound sled, which players must push for 50 yards and is so tough to move that distance because its design forces players into a conventional blocking stance: "It tests your character, it tests what's inside because there's no cheating. You can do whatever you want to do, but you've got to get it 50 yards on your own. There's nothing else you can do. It tests your heart. Sometimes you're going to stop, but you've just got to finish it.''
Old 05-12-2005, 03:43 AM   #23
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Why Rod is not doing punt returns anymore? His average of 21.2 ypc went down to 10.1 -- Who do you know 11 years in the league even doing PR?

They said Rod was done in 2003 because he got 845 yards. In 2004 he got 1144. His yards went down because he's a team player. Remember this stat when Watts starting doing well. ROD IS A TEAM PLAYER. I frankly want to see him evolve more into a possession reciever and get these young kids taking the hits. Let Rod play until the wheels fall off.

In 2003 and 1998 he had 118% QB rating. Not impressive? I'm glad that got Champ Bailey in here before coach was going to try him out at CB.

FYI: If you want to know why I'm posting about Rod it's his birthday on the 15th. He'll be 29.....again.

Happy Birthday Rod Smith...probably the only Bronco player without a home page.

Last edited by Odysseus; 05-12-2005 at 03:49 AM..
Old 05-12-2005, 03:46 AM   #24
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiettiger
Broncos WR Rod Smith on Broncos strength coach Rich Tuten, whose sled drill takes mental and physical strength to complete: "I kind of question his mental state. He can be like the Stephen King of coaching. Sometimes I just shake my head and look at him: 'You need a hug, don't you? Your wife ain't giving you enough hugs. I'm going to have to talk to her.' "
I remember Shanahan was asked about this last pre-season druing a press conference. He said that sometimes he'd see the entire receiving corps out there pushing sleds, designed to improve your blocking ablilty, and think "What's that all about? Why do my receivers need to push those sleds?" Then he'd look and see coach Tuten with this wicked grin on his face. "That man is sick." He said. It got a good laugh.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:53 AM   #25
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

He is a fine player, and probably HOF IMO.

Elway will drag him in. Who can forget this TD against Atlanta.

Your talking about an undrafted Free Agent here.

One of the things I like about Rod Smith is he's frugal. He's not a bling bling type.

He's more of a pack rat I imagine, looking forward.

He has been a fine player for the Broncos for a decade. Hopefully, Elway can drag him in. Sharpe is in, but Rod Smith deserves it more from a Bronco Fan perspective.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote