The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2005, 03:40 AM   #1
Drek
Ring of Famer

Default Your Day 1 Draft Grade.

Simple, how would you rank the Broncos first day draft (A+ to an F), plus why.

My take

Round 2 was an overpick, we probably could have gotten Williams with our first 3rd, if not one of our comp. picks.
3A was another corner,this time a slower one.
3B what do you know, another corner, this one a runt who doesn't have anything special about him.
3C Maurice Clarrett, when there are a half dozen RBs that are much better.

The fact that we took three corners, two of which are possibly not even worth a first day pick, and an RB that everyone thought wouldn't go until round 5 at soonest, makes me hate this draft. We could have had Justin Miller or Vince Jackson, Williams at 3A anyways, Antajj Hawthorne, and Adrian McPherson. Talk about bringing in some character issues, but at least we'd know they could all play football. If we wanted a running back we should have either a) traded our 2nd or 3rd for more picks, one of which an early 5th rounder for Clarrett, or b) taken Brandon Jacobs with the last pick.

Two corners that will likely never transition from the practice squad/NFL Europe, a running back that I'm betting we'll have cut by the start of the '06 regular season, and a 2nd round selection with an upside of being a great KR/PR/Nickle back. I'd say we just had arguably the worst draft in the NFL this year, despite getting a ton of slack from not having a first rounder.

Grade: Big fat F for Shanny and Sundquist, guess its true what they say about odd numbered draft years.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2005, 03:51 AM   #2
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

I will grade the draft in three years.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:51 AM   #3
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

I'll give them a D on first impression.

I like the Derrant Williams pick. A ballhawk who could be a nice nickel back, but more importantly a good punt returner, something we've been pining for for some time now. This pick is all that kept me from grading day 1 as an F.

Then two more corners, I guess they figure by law of averages that one of them has to pan out. I guess they didn't learn their lesson from the Nick Eason/Bryant McNeal/dozen other D-lineman they drafted in the middle rounds of the '03 draft. Quantity does not trump quality.

Then there's the Clarrett pick. I don't like it because the kid is a headcase, a problem child and hasn't played football in 2 years. That said, if you give the Broncos the benefit of the doubt on nothing else, you've got to give it to them on running backs. Maybe they felt that Bobby Turner needed a real challenge, I dunno.

I just can't believe that they went for a 3rd corner and Clarrett with Elton Brown and Anttaj Hawthorne still on the board.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:09 AM   #4
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I guess they didn't learn their lesson from the Nick Eason/Bryant McNeal/dozen other D-lineman they drafted in the middle rounds of the '03 draft.
Pretty much thats how Shanahan drafts for "need positions", once every couple of years he'll drop a ton of mid round picks on guys that he's horribly reaching for, say crap about us getting a lot of talent, etc., then we never hear from any of the chosen players again. That or he horribly reaches on the position in round 1.

I'm hoping Washington really sucks next season, because if its good enough Shanahan can't possibly screw it up.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:11 AM   #5
fuzzy
Pro Bowler

Overall, i'll go with a C.

D for the actual picks we made, and a B for trading out 1st rounder.
fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:15 AM   #6
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

A+ until proven otherwise.

Now if you will excuse I wil go wax my car.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:17 AM   #7
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

BTW who changed my avatar? and why?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:25 AM   #8
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I know everyone expected something like this. It was said (by me and others) many times earlier this week that Shanahan's selection would cause the "What the ****?" reaction. He didn't fail us. I won't assign a grade since it's too early.

But, I will say selecting 3 more cornerbacks is an indictment of last years selections of LeSueur and Shoate. Unless there are plans to move someone to safety, those were wasted draft picks. Can't say I'm pleased with these choices, but let's wait till training camp to see what these guys actually bring to the table.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:26 AM   #9
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I will grade the draft in three years.
Quote:
A+ until proven otherwise.
People thinking crap like this is what keeps the FO from changing their horrible ways. By the time a lot of people allow themselves to be critical they've already convincing themselves that the new draft will be different, so sucking at the old ones is ok.

I think we now might just have proven ourselves to be the single worst FO at getting value out of our draft selections. Teams like KC, the Browns, etc., at least take guys were they were expected to go and then have them bust on them. We take guys that we often could have got at least a round later. Thats bad drafting, I don't care how the players pan out in the end.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:14 AM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

It was a mind boggling first day... the first CB taken was rated as a sixth round selection... The one thing you have to admire about Shanahan is he is confident in his analysis and staff to find talent where no one else sees talent... I guess that can be a good thing, if it pans out in the end.

Right now a D--- bordering on an F+

Hopefully, one of these CBs will become a star for the Broncos, but I'm not counting on it. As for Clarette, I'll pass on saying it was a complete waste of a pick because Shanahan has been so successful in drafting RBs...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:17 AM   #11
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

D for now. Believe it or not, the Clarett pick was the one I had the least amount of problems with today. We left some pretty highly rated players on the board today to reach for the CB's we got. God only knows what we'll dredge up tomorrow.
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:17 AM   #12
ØrangeÇrush
Aaaayh!!!

On first blush, I wanted to give this an F, however I like the Williams pick because we finally addressed a need with PR/KR and if he gets us consistently good starting position I'll be happy. The next two picks were head shakers, but I'll wait to see it through. We always give Shanahan grief about O'neal and Middlebrooks, but we always fail to talk about the fact that we developed both Herndon and Walls. They both kinda make up for it. I like the Maurice Clarett pick a lot, and think that people are going to love it or hate it.

Basically its like this:

#56 -- hit
#76 -- miss
#97 -- miss ( we could've had colquitt right here)
#101 -- hit

add in the fact we got a 1st and 4th next year, I'm gonna give this a B-.

ØrangeÇrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:25 AM   #13
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

While I agree its too early to say, I'll give a D on first impression.

56) I was okay with Williams, I think Miller was a better choice though.

76) Don't like it at all. The guy has reach written all over him. Williams may have still been here. This pick should have been Evan Mathis.

97) I don't know anything about the guy, but the scouts seem to think he is pretty good. I'd give em' a pass on this except that he is another CB. How many do you need?

101) I hate it. We have too much success with backs to even mess with a guy like Clarett. If we were going to reach on someone, why not reach on V Jack in 2nd, or McPherson right here.

Last edited by bloodsunday; 04-24-2005 at 05:36 AM..
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:31 AM   #14
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

ZERO! Another midget from OK (that would have been available later), two more 3rd string CBs and a RB that would have been there late this afternoon.

The *Plan* has officially imploded!
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:35 AM   #15
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Here's what I don't get:
1) Why take 3 CBs? Are the guys we have that bad? Why not take Justin Miller who has starter potential and special teams stud? It's obvious that of the 3 2nd year CBs and now the 3 rookies, that a few will get cut. Someone screwed up in the scouting department again. Between our draft picks invested and Champ, we have the most expensive secondary in history, and its not all that good. WTF?

2) We have needs at OL and WR that were completely ignored. We could have gotten Evan Mathis instead of a CB that was given an overall grade of 54. If Carlisle, Nalen or Hamilton goes down this season, we got nothing but scrubs. We say that Jackson is a reach, yet we reached on at least 2 of our 4 picks. At least Jackson has no character issues or baggage. WTF?

3) We take a RB with huge baggage, yet pass on a CB with a 1st round grade because of his baggage. Why not take a chance on McPherson instead? I know he has more baggage than Clarett, but a reach is a reach. WFT?
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:43 AM   #16
BritBronco Maniac
Realist

Drafts can be evaluated imediately, not on how the players will pan out, but the value you got for your selections.
If Denver had taken Justin Miller they would have got a player that was expected to go around where they were originally picking in the first round. That would have been value.
Green Bay got a player who was almost drafted no.1, at no.24, that was value.
Randy Moss was expected to be a top five pick in his draft, but fell to the Vikings at 24ish, that was value.
Taking a player who would be there at your next pick is not value. Why take player A when you could trade the pick for more picks, or take a higher rated player, when you can get player A at your next pick? It is simply bad drafting, and that can be evaluated straight away.
Denver has done it time and again (see Paul Toveisi)
BritBronco Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:47 AM   #17
broncohaven
Ring of Famer

I'm Orange

My biggest problem is in the value department. Shanny said Williams was their guy, but he would have easily lasted into the third round. If we didn't like anyone else at least give up #56 and move down again.

I think Williams would have been there even at #76, and that would have looked much better if we had taken Vincent Jackson with #56. The other two CBs would have been available in the 5th at least, and Clarett might not have been drafted at all. He certainly would have been there in the 6th.

I won't pass any judgement on the players until I have a feel for them, but I don't think we maximized value at all. For that I give this a C-. Would be a D if we didn't get out of the first round.
broncohaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:50 AM   #18
DrFate
Lord of Order

The grade is an F. All 4 picks were reaches (I am getting used to that) - the worst part is good players were on the board at positions of needs (like Brown, Hawthorne, or Colquitt).

Is this time THAT solid on the OLine? Is the Cleveland Fab Four THAT good on DLine to pass on first round talent? Didn't we just bring in an overrated fat running back?

I can't imagine how this draft could have been worse unless we picked no one at all - at least that would help the cap.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:00 AM   #19
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

How can you rate a draft that takes two to three years to see how it went?
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:17 AM   #20
BritBronco Maniac
Realist

Finkle, read the thread, it may take a couple of years to see how players pan out, but at this stage you can rate a draft on the value a team gets for its picks.
BritBronco Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:19 AM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default Grade AFCW's First Day

I'm dissappointed with the Broncos, but we will discuss them ad nausium the next few weeks. Right now, I'll be generous with a "D"

The Chefs are trying to make a splash with Derrick Johnson. I think its pretty clear that Goonther wants another Derrick Thomas and he thinks Johnson is Thomas reincarnated. I'll be generous and give the chef's an "A" for right now. That punter in the third could be a nice pick up for them too.

As for the Faiders I think Routt is a nice pick up. I didn't see the Andrew Walter pick coming but this must be a Norv Turner type of QB. Basically the faid went CB, CB, QB, ILB. The defense seems to be their focus. Right now, I'll give the faid a solid "B+"

Good God I'm really starting to hate Sandy Eggo. They get a monster in Merriman and a monster of a WR in Vincent Jackson. Between VJ and Antonio Gates at, along with LT running the ball, not to mention Brees and Rivers, the Chargers are looking young and loaded. I hate them, bastards. I give them an "A+" bastards.

I'm bitter, but realistic. What's your grades so far?

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 04-24-2005 at 08:50 AM..
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:21 AM   #22
Theway
Pro Bowler

No one can tell how any of these players will pan out. They could all have all-pro potential. The problem is, when you draft all at them at the same position, or a position which is crowded, how are they gonna prove that they're players? They're barely going to get a chance.

For that reason, F.

That grade also carries to last year's draft. The team is now carrying 9 corners (let's see how many they draft today), 6 of which have been obtained in the last two years (Roc, who was ahead of the other two from last year, was undrafted). That means that of the 5 draft picks spent on corners the last two years, at least a couple of them won't even make the team this year.

No one here is an expert, nor have they really seen any of these players to know whether or not they will pan out. But the Broncos draft STRATEGY is definitey an F.
Theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:24 AM   #23
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle
How can you rate a draft that takes two to three years to see how it went?
Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't, this is one of those that only takes a few minutes to evaluate.
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:26 AM   #24
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritBronco Maniac
Finkle, read the thread, it may take a couple of years to see how players pan out, but at this stage you can rate a draft on the value a team gets for its picks.

I did, I just think it's silly to give a grade out right now. Value can only truly be seen when the team steps on the field...
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:28 AM   #25
stoxman
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritBronco Maniac
Drafts can be evaluated imediately, not on how the players will pan out, but the value you got for your selections.
If Denver had taken Justin Miller they would have got a player that was expected to go around where they were originally picking in the first round. That would have been value.
Green Bay got a player who was almost drafted no.1, at no.24, that was value.
Randy Moss was expected to be a top five pick in his draft, but fell to the Vikings at 24ish, that was value.
Taking a player who would be there at your next pick is not value. Why take player A when you could trade the pick for more picks, or take a higher rated player, when you can get player A at your next pick? It is simply bad drafting, and that can be evaluated straight away.
Denver has done it time and again (see Paul Toveisi)

YES! FINALLY SOMEONE WHO MAKES SENSE AROUND HERE...MEGA=DITTO'S!
This draft sucks so far!
stoxman is offline   Reply With Quote