|04-15-2005, 10:28 PM||#1|
Ring of Famer
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Mel Kiper's Mock Round 4...
The fourth round of the NFL draft is an important one, as teams have gotten through the first day and are reevaluating their strategies based on what happened on Day 1.
This year is no differenct as small-school prospects (Northern Colorado wide receiver Vincent Jackson) and underrated major-college players (Georgia quarterback David Greene) get a lot of notice in the fourth round as teams look for hidden gems, and history says they can be found.
The roster of current NFL players taken in recent fourth rounds contains plenty of productive players on both sides of the ball (most recent selections listed first): Mewelde Moore, Domanick Davis, Onterrio Smith, Quentin Griffin, Lee Suggs, Asante Samuel, Alex Brown, Randy McMichael, Larry Foote, Najeh Davenport, Rudi Johnson, Justin McCareins, Na'il Diggs, Brandon Stokley, Roosevelt Colvin, Aaron Brooks, Az-Zahir Hakim, Michael Pittman and Lance Schulters.
The number of running backs on that list should be a nice confidence-booster for guys like Brandon Jacobs of Southern Illinois, Marion Barber III of Minnesota, Eric Shelton of Louisville and Ciatrick Fason of Florida, all of whom I project as fourth-rounders this year.
There are seven wideouts (two from UCLA) in my projection and six defensive backs, as well as small-school guys from places like Southern Miss, Cal Poly-SLO, Southeast Missouri State and San Diego State.
102. San Francisco 49ers: Courtney Roby, WR, Indiana
103. Cleveland Browns: Mike Montgomery, DL, Texas A&M
104. Miami Dolphins: Justin Beriault, DB, Ball St.
105. Oakland Raiders: Kelvin Hayden, CB, Illinois
106. Chicago Bears: Antonio Perkins, CB, Oklahoma
107. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Michael Boley, LB, Southern Miss
108. Tennessee Titans: Brandon Jacobs, RB, Southern Illinois
109. Dallas Cowboys: Rob Petitti, OT, Pittsburgh
110. New York Giants: Cedrick Williams, CB, Kansas St.
111. Arizona Cardinals: Ellis Hobbs, CB, Iowa St.
112. Washington Redskins: Marcus Lawrence, LB, South Carolina
113. Detroit Lions: Adrian McPherson, QB, Florida St.
114. Houston Texans: Marion Barber III, RB, Minnesota
115. Carolina Panthers: Vincent Fuller, DB, Virginia Tech
116. Kansas City Chiefs: Jordan Beck, LB, Cal Poly-SLO
117. St. Louis Rams: Chris Kemoeatu, OG, Utah
118. New Orleans Saints: David Greene, QB, Georgia
119. Cincinnati Bengals: Vincent Jackson, WR, Northern Colorado
120. Minnesota Vikings: Jonathan Welsh, LB, Wisconsin
121. Seattle Seahawks: Tab Perry, WR, UCLA
122. Buffalo Bills: Chris Myers, OL, Miami
123. Jacksonville Jaguars: Craig Bragg, WR, UCLA
124. Baltimore Ravens: Bill Swancutt, DE, Oregon St.
125. Green Bay Packers: Elton Brown, OG, Virginia
126. Seattle Seahawks (from Denver): J.R. Russell, WR, Louisville
127. New York Jets: Eric Shelton, RB, Louisville
128. Atlanta Falcons: Daniel Loper, OT, Texas Tech
129. Indianapolis Colts: Dan Connolly, OG, SE Missouri State
130. San Diego Chargers: Cornelius Wortham, LB, Alabama
131. Pittsburgh Steelers: Pete McMahon, OL, Iowa
132. Philadelphia Eagles: Kirk Morrison, LB, San Diego State
133. New England Patriots: Chase Lyman, WR, California
134. St. Louis Rams (compensatory pick): Dan Buenning, OG, Wisconsin
135. Indianapolis Colts (comp pick): Ciatrick Fason, RB, Florida
136. Tennessee Titans (comp pick): Brandon Jones, WR, Oklahoma
Click here to send a question to Mel Kiper for possible use on ESPNEWS.
|04-15-2005, 11:16 PM||#2|
Persona Non Grata
Join Date: Jan 2003
If Vincent Jackson, Elton Brown, Adrian McPherson & Antonio Perkins all fall to the 4th round (meaning the Broncos passed on all of them) I'll be ready to put my foot through my television.
|04-16-2005, 07:00 AM||#3|
Ring of Famer
Join Date: Mar 2004
What about Brandon Jacobs? 267 pounds, runs a 4.56 40? I'd love to have him too. If Kiper's on the money I'm hoping we take Jacobs and Jackson with our two third round comp picks.