The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2005, 01:36 PM   #101
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

I'd love to have him as long as the contract is tied to playing time as reported.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #102
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The deal with Brown and Warren is, both went to a team that had real flux in coaching and a hodge-podge of talent elsewhere on the team. Plus, they dont have a winning tradition there yet, and all of that combined with the extreme pressure of being such high draft choices may have added to their various problems, even though the main deal with Brown was injurires.

The fact that their old coach wants so badly to bring them to his new team where his rep is totally on the line, is encouraging as well.

The way I see it, is that they both get a fresh start with not too many years on their bodies. IF Brown can be 100% to go by minicamps and camp and can stay healthy all year, and the same with Warren, I think the new attitude and their realization that they have to bring it now or be labeled busts forever, make bringing them in a great bet. If we could get Trevor to take a cut and get a great year out of him and draft a good D tackle, we would easliy have one of the, if not THE, best D-fenses in the league.

Particularly, if we have performance clauses in for both of them to hedge our bets.

The thing with Brown is, that if he doesnt commit to us today, we may not get him at all! He ought to know by now what the deal is, and if he isnt excited enough to commit to us now, after Jacksonville has given their offer, I dont want him.

Last edited by Hulamau; 03-24-2005 at 03:27 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #103
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Wonder if reason that Brown hasn't made a decision yet is because there are some serious negotiations happening between his agent, the Broncos, and Washington? I'm only excluding J-ville because if it was just a money issue, neither Denver nor washington would have a chance. J-ville is something like $13mil under the cap last I heard.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:52 PM   #104
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

So has he decided yet or did this little stunt by his agent result in somebody else upping their bid and stealing him from us?
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:54 PM   #105
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal
So has he decided yet or did this little stunt by his agent result in somebody else upping their bid and stealing him from us?

Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:05 PM   #106
Broncobuddy7
\m/ >< \m/

For some of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal
After visiting his fourth NFL team Tuesday, defensive end Courtney Brown is expected to inform his suitors of his choice today. Last weekend, Brown was expected to decide between Denver and Washington. After Brown's visits, both teams made offers with incentives tied to his health. Brown -- who has missed 33 games in five seasons -- then decided to keep scheduled visits to the Jaguars (Monday) and Seahawks (Tuesday). Seattle didn't make an offer after Brown's visit. Jacksonville has made him an offer.
-- Washington Post

Last I heard he was waiting for an offer from Jacksonville. Now that Jacksonville has made him an offer he should make his decision pretty soon.
Broncobuddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:14 PM   #107
clint7
Ring of Famer

He's probably got those little plastic NFL football helmets with all the teams interested laid out on his living room floor, while chanting:
Icka bicka soda cracker
Icka bicka boo;
Icka bicka soda cracker
Out goes YOU!!!
clint7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:56 PM   #108
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

I wonder how this affects Pryce?
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #109
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

here is an update. Looks like he is still undecided. Denver may have jumped the gun again...or not, who knows. Time for an obligatory "Shanny cant close" reference..Breck will like that one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redskins Still Waiting on Brown

By Nunyo Demasio
Washington Post Staff Writer
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/w...anguage=printer

Defensive end Courtney Brown kept his suitors in suspense for another day by informing them yesterday he needed more time, according to sources familiar with the situation.

The Washington Redskins and Denver Broncos are considered the front-runners, although Brown has not rule out the Jacksonville Jaguars.

This week, the Broncos had told other NFL team officials Brown would choose them, while Coach Joe Gibbs expressed skepticism, noting the 27-year-old took two other trips after a visit to Redskins Park. Wednesday, Brown had told teams he likely would make a decision by yesterday.

After Brown didn't choose the Broncos yesterday, one source said, Washington took it as a sign he was undecided.

According to a source who spoke to Brown yesterday, the top overall pick in the 2000 draft spent several hours Wednesday night and yesterday grilling agent Marvin Demoff with detailed questions about his options. Demoff, who also represents Gregg Williams -- Washington's assistant head coach of defense -- didn't return a call yesterday. Each suitor gave Brown, who has missed 33 games in five seasons, an offer with incentives tied to his health.

Gibbs and Vice President Vinny Cerrato were returning from the NFL owners meeting in Hawaii yesterday and couldn't be reached to comment.

Redskins Notes: Despite recently being hired by the Redskins to be executive producer for the team's broadcast properties, Larry Michael will keep his job as the play-by-play announcer on WJFK-FM.

"That's one of the joys of my life," Michael, who replaced longtime announcer Frank Herzog at the position in February 2004, said yesterday.

"I've still got a job at WFJK. I'm departing Westwood One to work for the Redskins. WJFK and Westwood One are like two separate entities."

Michael, who had been a senior vice president for sports at Westwood One -- a national radio network -- starts his new duties Monday. Although his previous position at the company made him one of the most influential executives in sports radio, Michael expressed enthusiasm about joining the Redskins.

"I'm excited about the opportunity to be part of the Redskins' television and new media, which includes the Internet," Michael said in a telephone interview. "I spent a long time at Westwood One, and it's time for something like this for me. It's TV [with the Redskins], not radio. My deal with WJFK remains solid."

Michael noted that a team employee with an executive title who also serves as a radio voice is not unprecedented in the NFL.

According to a league spokesperson, at least four clubs have similar arrangements. . . .

The Redskins are reportedly interested in wide receiver Kevin Dyson, who didn't play last season after being released by the San Diego Chargers during training camp.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:18 PM   #110
ro_50
Ring of Famer

Shanny or someone jumped the gun. Rat-boy strikes again, sniff, sniff.
ro_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:22 PM   #111
clint7
Ring of Famer

Good thing the UPS "Brown" doesn't take this long to deliver.
clint7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:26 PM   #112
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I'm about 24 hours from saying pass.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:26 PM   #113
yavoon
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja fan
I'd love to have him as long as the contract is tied to playing time as reported.
what if he just sucks? but wont be put on IR.
yavoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:31 PM   #114
Cosmo
Perennial Pro-bowler

Can we get a link that works? Or at least the time/date that was printed....
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:36 PM   #115
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50
Shanny or someone jumped the gun. Rat-boy strikes again, sniff, sniff.
What are you guys talking about? I don't remember Shanny ever saying they had Brown already signed. If anyone jumped the gun it's the posters at this forum. Anyway Denver will get their man... and if they don't he will suck!!!
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:44 PM   #116
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by yavoon
what if he just sucks? but wont be put on IR.
When he plays he doesn't suck but I'm sure you know that.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:45 PM   #117
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

According to posts earlier threads, no one from the broncos said said anything like that. Supposedly it was a reporter from washington that said the broncos thought they had a good chance of signing him.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:58 PM   #118
wabbit
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi728
...Supposedly it was a reporter from washington that said the broncos thought they had a good chance of signing him.
This is absolutely true...BUT, apparently the Bronco coaches...assistants I suspect, but I have no confirmation of that...are telling anyone who will listen..Patrick Saunders included...that the deal is as good as done.

Everyone is going to look pretty foolish if this falls through for Denver...not the least of which will be these 'unnamed' coaches.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:20 PM   #119
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit
Everyone is going to look pretty foolish if this falls through for Denver...not the least of which will be these 'unnamed' coaches.
Can't really look anymore foolish then they have this offseason: Pryce, Gold, 2-3 new starters, re-sign everyone, etc.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:34 PM   #120
delany
Uber Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit
This is absolutely true...BUT, apparently the Bronco coaches...assistants I suspect, but I have no confirmation of that...are telling anyone who will listen..Patrick Saunders included...that the deal is as good as done.

No more foolish than Baltimore announcing Cooper was going to sign.

Who knows what Brown said to the Denver staff? His old position coach on staff...maybe he verbally committed...I can't believe the Broncos are just making it up out of thin air that they believe CB will sign with them.

Who knows...

Maybe it is a chess move with other teams....or maybe there are other ulterior motives for leaking to the media.

Who knows...

OR If he doesn't sign....MAYBE it just has to do with the $$$ or playing situation offered elsewhere and not loose-mouths...

But where is the fun in blaming this management team if that is the case, right?
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:39 PM   #121
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany
No more foolish than Baltimore announcing Cooper was going to sign.

Who knows what Brown said to the Denver staff? His old position coach on staff...maybe he verbally committed...I can't believe the Broncos are just making it up out of thin air that they believe CB will sign with them.

Who knows...

Maybe it is a chess move with other teams....or maybe there are other ulterior motives for leaking to the media.

Who knows...

OR If he doesn't sign....MAYBE it just has to do with the $$$ or playing situation offered elsewhere and not loose-mouths...

But where is the fun in blaming this management team if that is the case, right?

Difference was that Coop' verbally agreed....so far Brown hasn't....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:41 PM   #122
Ballhawk
Ring of Famer

If he doesn't sign, we will look foolish for about a day. This is not some big time acquisition, this is a player that has "upside" a familar word that floats around Dove Valley every year.

I would prefer Pryce if he would rework, or Douglas who has experiance in the 3-4.

We just need a couple big bodies that can perform at an average level and take up some blocks so that the talent at LB can do their thing. If we happen to land a good to great player in the draft all the better.
Ballhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:44 PM   #123
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballhawk
If he doesn't sign, we will look foolish for about a day. This is not some big time acquisition, this is a player that has "upside" a familar word that floats around Dove Valley every year.

I would prefer Pryce if he would rework, or Douglas who has experiance in the 3-4.

We just need a couple big bodies that can perform at an average level and take up some blocks so that the talent at LB can do their thing. If we happen to land a good to great player in the draft all the better.

If he doesn't sign, the Broncos look foolish until his first injury....I like Douglas as a fall back as long as he doesn't turn out to be jelly donut 2
Old 03-24-2005, 07:46 PM   #124
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

ray, if he gets injured we still dont look foolish because a large part of his contract is based on playing time according to shanny. lets not make excuses for the team in anticipation of their failure to close the deal.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:48 PM   #125
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco
ray, if he gets injured we still dont look foolish because a large part of his contract is based on playing time according to shanny. lets not make excuses for the team in anticipation of their failure to close the deal.

Hey Socal, I am trying to be "Mr. Positive"....I agree though...anything to piss of Danny Boy and the Skins down here is fine by me...