The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter
Default More trouble for the Chiefs. Tony G and Larry Johnson want out!

Looks like not only are they not set on a coach yet, but Tony and Larry both want to be traded out of that hellhole.

Quote:
KAPOLEI, Hawaii – Tony Gonzalez has gone from one tropical paradise to another over the past week. With apologies to Jimmy Buffett, no matter how much Gonzalez changes his longitude or latitude, it’s not really changing his attitude.

Barring a serious change in direction, Gonzalez still wants out of Kansas City – even more so if the Chiefs bring in a college coach, such as Kirk Ferentz of Iowa. Aside from Ferentz, the Chiefs are expected to interview Arizona offensive coordinator Todd Haley, Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Chiefs offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

Speaking in the dressing room of the players’ hotel Tuesday, Gonzalez said he expects to hear of a decision about Kansas City’s next coach by Thursday. The 12-year veteran tight end and Pro Bowl regular restated his basic desire to go elsewhere, the week after spending time in Tampa in advance of the Super Bowl. Gonzalez is hoping to finish his career with an appearance of his own in the title game; he has appeared in the playoffs only three times in his career, losing each time.

And with all due respect to the Kansas City Chiefs, the only team he has played for, Gonzalez has serious doubts the Chiefs are going to give him that chance anytime soon.

“You never know, and that’s the thing about the NFL right now,” Gonzalez said when it was pointed out to him that defensive end Jason Taylor made the same push last offseason only to see the team he left [Miami] go to the playoffs and the team he joined [Washington] not make it.

“You can go from being really bad one year and all of a sudden be really good the next year. So you have to factor that in. We have a young football team that could be really good out there in Kansas City. Now, the question is, are they going to make it to a Super Bowl? Like with Jason [Taylor], even if he’d have stayed in Miami, yeah, you could be good. But I don’t care about being good. I want to be great. I want to win a Super Bowl.”

Gonzalez’s desire for a deal follows his push in October for a trade – an effort thwarted when then-Chiefs president Carl Peterson refused to make the deal, leaving Gonzalez incensed. Even the departure of Peterson and the arrival of Scott Pioli from New England hasn’t quelled Gonzalez’s angst.

Still, he did seem mildly interested in Haley or Gailey.

“I want to see who they name as head coach,” Gonzalez said. “Yeah, I hear they’re talking to Todd Haley, but then there’s this coach [Ferentz] from Iowa State, some [expletive] like that and I don’t want to deal with that. It seems like we’re rebuilding anyway, and I don’t want to do that. I don’t know that I want to do that any more than I already have been.”

So Gonzalez seems far more interested in a future elsewhere, even if it would be somewhat bittersweet. He said he hadn’t yet talked to Pioli or team owner Clark Hunt but said he wants to be careful about how he proceeds. He has been frustrated with not only the team’s results but also moves such as trading defensive end Jared Allen, who is playing on the NFC Pro Bowl team this week.

“I love Kansas City. I really do. If I could stay there, I would. That’s why this is going to be a tough decision,” Gonzalez said. “We’ve been rebuilding. It hasn’t really seemed to go well. We won four [in 2007] and two this year. It’s getting tough. … I don’t want to make it seem to the fans in Kansas City and to my teammates that I’m abandoning them. I hope, I think, they’ll understand.”

And if Gonzalez gets his wish of a new home, he might not be alone, as teammate Larry Johnson also reportedly desires to leave the Chiefs – who, according to Gonzalez, aren’t making it easy for some players to want to stay.

“We traded away our best defensive player [Allen], by far. A game changer and you trade him away,” Gonzalez said. That’s just too much, and that’s sending a message to the guys on the team.”

Jason Cole is a national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Jason a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Copyright © 2009 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Help - Site Map
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Boob got scooped.......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

“We traded away our best defensive player [Allen], by far. A game changer and you trade him away,” Gonzalez said. That’s just too much, and that’s sending a message to the guys on the team.”

I already miss king Carl.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

L.J. WANTS OUT

Posted by Mike Florio on February 4, 2009, 11:43 a.m. EST

Chiefs running back Larry Johnson, whose status has gotten lost in the shuffle of a G.M. search, an evaluation of former head coach Herm Edwards, and an effort to find a new head coach, has reiterated his desire to get out of town.

In an interview on 610 Sports in Kansas City, Johnson made his case for a “clean break.”

He said that Kansas isn’t “a fit for me anymore,” pointing generally to the “environment and things that went on.”

“No sense of delaying the inevitable . . . I think it’s time for us to break ties,” Johnson said.

The interview began with a quote from the film Scarface, which Johnson specifically requested.

“You’re all a bunch of f–king a-holes,” Al Pacino as Tony Montana said in the quote. “You know why? You don’t have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your f–king fingers and say, ‘That’s the bad guy.’

“So, what [does] that make you, good? You’re not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don’t have that card. Me, I always tell the truth, even when I lie.”

So how did Johnson explain the reason for requesting that quote? “That’s sometimes how I feel when I go in and out of Kansas City,” Johnson said.

Ugh.

“They can easily release me. They can easily trade me,” Johnson explained as to a question regarding the team’s ability under the cap to clear out his big-money deal, signed less than two years ago.

Johnson’s venom was vaguely directed at the “organization,” but not at the players or the coaches. He complained that, when Dick Vermeil was head coach, the team tried to trade him to Tampa.

Johnson also complained about the fact that the team tried to trade him last season.

Citing a “code of ethics,” he objected to his perception that “they’ve been trying to trade me ever since I got there.” (Except, of course, when they gave him that huge contract that he’d now like to ignore.)

As to Kansas City itself, he said that he heard boos when he went to a local basketball game, and boos and “snickering” when he went out in the Kansas City area.

“At a point I didn’t even want to leave my house,” Johnson said.

He insisted that he’s not “misunderstood,” claiming that the team has made no effort to understand him.

Johnson said that one of the “suits” in the organization once told Johnson’s father that the running back “walk[s] around like a rapper.” Johnson complained that the organization has been worried about things other than football.

He made the case for not being a “cancer in the locker room” based on his contention that his music always plays before games, and that teammates ask him about clothing, lifestyle, and where to go on vacation.

“That’s not being a cancer,” Johnson said. “You get that information from guys who don’t want me here.”

Johnson said that he hasn’t spoken to new G.M. Scott Pioli, and that Johnson doesn’t plan to. Johnson also said he hasn’t spoken with any of his teammates.

He said that he prefers playing for an East Coast team, even though his mom apparently would like to see him be a member of the Dallas Cowboys.

Despite the fact that his comments are coming more than three weeks before the launch of free agency, when the big money tends to flow, Johnson doesn’t seem to be insisting on a trade or a release before February 27. And he never said that he won’t show up for mandatory offeseason activities or training camp.

It’s a smart move on his part, given that he is signed for four more seasons. Like the Bengals proved a year ago to another player previously named Johnson, the player doesn’t have the right to fire the team.

Still, we think that Johnson should be a bit more open-minded regarding his position on this. Calling the Chiefs a “rebuilding” operation, Johnson said: “I’ve done what I’ve done for Kansas City, and I’m not getting no younger and the team is getting a lot younger.”

Former Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor felt the same way a year ago as a new regime took over in Miami, led by the father-in-law of the guy who’s now running the show in Kansas City. Nearly a year later, we’ve got a feeling that Taylor would have preferred staying put in the town that Tony Montana once ruled.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

As to Kansas City itself, he said that he heard boos when he went to a local basketball game, and boos and “snickering” when he went out in the Kansas City area.

What do you expect LJ....you have thrown drinks on half the b****es in the city.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

I will be pissed if Gonzo makes it in on his first year eligible.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

It's funny to hear LJ, one of the NFL's bigger (but lesser known) scumbags, talk about ethics.

Maybe the Chiefs should adopt a Pro-Domestic Violence team policy.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Old 02-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Want in one hand and Poop in the other. See which one Fills up faster.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

It's obvious they haven't heard that Pioli can fix all of their problems in 6 days.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Tony G does a lot of whining.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

“They can easily release me. They can easily trade me,” Johnson explained as to a question regarding the team’s ability under the cap to clear out his big-money deal, signed less than two years ago.
------------

How about you restructure your deal so they actually can cut/trade you without paying you your signing bonus if you want out so bad?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Tony G does a lot of whining.
Yep. Tony had a chance to get out of KC. Instead he re-upped. He's getting what he wished for.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

good god...this sounds like every other Chorf offseason
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #15
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Titz Pioli....have fun with this group of whining losers.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Wow the Mane sure is slow on picking up information. LJ said he wanted out of KC after the last game when the season concluded

And can you blame Gonzo? Please tell me what Veteran player in his last years wants to be a part of another rebuilding project?

BTW-KC is interviewing Haley this week. He would be a good hire.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Wow the Mane sure is slow on picking up information. LJ said he wanted out of KC after the last game when the season concluded

And can you blame Gonzo? Please tell me what Veteran player in his last years wants to be a part of another rebuilding project?

it's a broken record over there. Congrats on the makings of another fantastic offseason in Chorf land!

bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #18
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
And there was a prior thread about this.

This, however, is an update with new quotes and with a link to a story that just broke today. Apparently, that concept is beyond you. Shocker.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #19
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:

And we discussed it then too. Now its just coming up again cause LJ is doing interviews running quotes from scarface calling all of Kansas City a bunch of Fing Aholes. Thats class and thats new news.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #20
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

I Wouldnt want to play for that crappy excuse for a franchise either. They should be taken out of the NFL, and add the South Dakota Bisons, Or Louisville Brat hammers

http://deadspin.com/5066332/the-rath...-larry-johnson
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #21
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

[QUOTE=KCStud;2279187]

QUOTE]

If you want to get technical , Larry Johnson wanted to get out way before that. It was when he was brought onto the team, and realized how bad they are.

Last edited by Peoples Champ; 02-04-2009 at 11:45 AM..
Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #22
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples Champ View Post
I Wouldnt want to play for that crappy excuse for a franchise either. They should be taken out of the NFL, and add the South Dakota Bisons, Or Louisville Brat hammers

http://deadspin.com/5066332/the-rath...-larry-johnson
Like the Broncos have done anything worth mentioning since 1998
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #23
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:

We were waiting for OFFICIAL NEWS when WPI was going to break it. Not official until then.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #24
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Like the Broncos have done anything worth mentioning since 1998

Ya, our players(shannon sharpe) want to leave the team because Hall of Famers retire, not because we are terrible.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Another mysterious case of the Neil Smith syndrome.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote