|03-07-2005, 01:28 PM||#1|
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: between 5,000 and 10,000 feet elevation
Sporting News take on DEs
Top of the class
By War Room scouts - SportingNews
War Room scouts rate David Pollack and four other defensive ends as first-round prospects and put another -- LSU's Marcus Spears -- on the first-round bubble. Overall, the 2005 class of ends receives a "B" for quality. Get a handle on the top end prospects with these abridged reports from TSN's Pro Football Draft Guide:
1. Erasmus James, Wisconsin, 6-4 1/8, 266. Sat out the '03 season with a hip injury that raised concerns about his durability, explosiveness and strength. Put those questions to rest with a solid senior season. Lacks elite speed and must get bigger and improve his lower-body strength. With his technique, intensity and power at the point of attack, should be a top 10 pick.
2. Dan Cody, Oklahoma, 6-512, 254. Lacks ideal lower-body strength and change-of-direction skills to drop into coverage but has the upfield playmaking skills to make a significant impact in the NFL. Might need a season or two to become a starter but is worth a high pick.
3. David Pollack, Georgia, 6-218, 265. Is an elite playmaker who improved his draft stock by staying in school in 2004. Makes up for his lack of height and elite speed with quickness, intensity, instincts, power and relentlessness. There isn't a more competitive or harder-working player in this class.
4. Shaun Cody, USC, 6-4, 293. Is an end/tackle 'tweener but a surefire playmaker. Pro position will depend on the team that drafts him. Isn't big, but a team with the right scheme will make Cody a first-round pick.
5. Matt Roth, Iowa, 6-334, 278. Is tough and active against the run and has excellent instincts and closing quickness as a pass rusher. Should be drafted late in the first round.
6. Marcus Spears, LSU, 6-4, 307. Showed significant improvement in his senior season. Is a bit of an end/tackle 'tweener. Lacks elite speed but is an outstanding athlete. Is physical and aggressive, has a great work ethic and is a leader. With good predraft workouts, could move into the first round.
I think James and Dan Cody are big gambles, but they will probably be mid first round picks.