The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default Costa Rica

Anyone been? I'm going in 12 days (not that I'm counting or anything). Arriving late on the 19th, coming back home on the 25th. Flying into San Jose, spending three nights in Monteverde and then 2 more back in SJ.

Any advice? What should I do (we have a pretty strict itinerary, but I want to know if there's anything I have to do)? What should I avoid?

Most importantly, I'm having Nugs scores sent to me by text message, so I'm covered there.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
Anyone been? I'm going in 12 days (not that I'm counting or anything). Arriving late on the 19th, coming back home on the 25th. Flying into San Jose, spending three nights in Monteverde and then 2 more back in SJ.

Any advice? What should I do (we have a pretty strict itinerary, but I want to know if there's anything I have to do)? What should I avoid?

Most importantly, I'm having Nugs scores sent to me by text message, so I'm covered there.
Listen dude, I realize going to a foreign country sounds like fun... and I'm not going to lie, it is... But we're in the middle of a playoff push here, and we can't have people slacking off and not karma-repping.

So yeah, I'm going to have to ask you to not go on this trip. Myself and the rest of the Nuggets organization thanks you in advance.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:57 PM   #3
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

I have a karma rep plan figured out. Trust me, I've thought of this.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:58 PM   #4
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Well then have fun, and be perpetually wasted.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
Sodak
Clueless...

Who stole my avatar?

Make sure you get your shots for the jungle rot and current vaccinations. Good luck!

Don't forget, there's nothing worse in Costa Rica than a drunk Gringo.
Sodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:37 AM   #6
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:

You're going to love it. There's a woman in my office who keeps talking about retiring to Costa Rica. She has me half sold on the idea, too.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:50 AM   #7
Sean
Won't worry my life away

Quote:

Have fun brotha! Represent the 303 and 970! Whatever the hell that means ...
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:35 AM   #8
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

"This one's for John!" 3:16

Never been but have a great time!

REB

1-2-3-BRONCOS!!!!!!!
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:16 AM   #9
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

One of my friends retired there in his early 40s. He loves it! If you like fishing (Tarpon, billfish, Roosterfish, snapper, Wahoo, Dorado, Barracuda, Kingfish, etc...) either ocean is great!
Lots of inland trips in the jungles to choose from too. Don't just sit around if you get some free time, see the sites and enjoy yourself
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:18 AM   #10
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

Unfortunately, the getting wasted and lounging aroudn thing won't be happening. It's kind of a graduation/birthday present for me and birthday present for my mom. We've never taken a vacation that hasn't been business related, so we're going. She loves butterflies, and I wanted to get the hell away from everything for a while, so Costa Rica was the choice.

I can't find my itinerary right now, but I know we're seeing the Poas volcano and doing a few canopy tours. If I find the itinerary, I'll post it up.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:19 AM   #11
Meck77

I haven't been yet but I'd like to go. A couple of my friends have and they rave about it. They said the people there are some of the friendliest people around you can find. It seems to really becoming a world destination for travelers. I hear there is real estate boom going on there also. I was going to comment on the fishing but Slug covered it!
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:01 AM   #12
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

Picture of Paos Volcano.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2005, 11:02 AM   #13
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

My mother and myself at Paos Volcano (Popps, got quite a few questions about the shirt).
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2005, 11:04 AM   #14
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

The sunset in Monteverde, Costa Rica. I had an incredible trip. Saw some incredible things and have determined that the most attractive women in the world all cumulated in San Jose most of the week.

And I learned that I can understand Spanish a lot better than I thought I could.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2005, 11:06 AM   #15
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

I have not been there myself but it sounds like you will have a blast. I will be thinking about you bud. Be safe.
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #16
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

One thing I've learned....if you're going out of the country and they say original birth certificates are ok...get a passport anyway...it will save you a lot of trouble and the brother-in-law won't have to stay overnight in Miami

Nice pics Nuggets.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:15 AM   #17
Meck77

Nice pics. Do any fishing down there?
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:25 AM   #18
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

Nah. Not really a fisherman. Did a lot of napping actually. Monteverde was a trip. The hotels didn't have radios or clocks or anything. You'd come back from a tour in the morning, and we'd sit on the patio and just read or watch the sun set. It was surreal.....for someone who relies on techology as much as I do, the first day was like going cold turkey on heroin. After that, I enjoyed it....a lot.

The wildlife was unbelievable down there. There's one type of bird that people will literally travel from across the world just to see. One person in the tour group at the Cloud Forest had come from London just to see this bird. I was happy because I saw a monkey. Haven't you always wanted a mon-KEY? /BNL

Anyone who loves heights that goes down there HAS to do the ziplines in the rain forest in Monteverde. I hate heights however, so while my mother thought it was the highlight, I'm never going to the ziplines again.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:53 PM   #19
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
You're going to love it. There's a woman in my office who keeps talking about retiring to Costa Rica. She has me half sold on the idea, too.
I worked with a guy who had that as his life plan. He opted for one of the early retirement packages and flew off down to Costa Rica. He and the wife had studied the video tape religiously and couldn't wait to find a little piece of perfect beach heaven.

Except when they got there they found the Costa Ricans had become decidedly against selling pieces of perfect beach heaven to Americans unless said Americans were interested in paying the appropriate price for heaven. They could have a piece of some uninteresting terrain completely inland for a reasonable price.

Put it this way, they are now happily retired on a beach in Florida....
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 02:06 PM   #20
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
I worked with a guy who had that as his life plan. He opted for one of the early retirement packages and flew off down to Costa Rica. He and the wife had studied the video tape religiously and couldn't wait to find a little piece of perfect beach heaven.

Except when they got there they found the Costa Ricans had become decidedly against selling pieces of perfect beach heaven to Americans unless said Americans were interested in paying the appropriate price for heaven. They could have a piece of some uninteresting terrain completely inland for a reasonable price.

Put it this way, they are now happily retired on a beach in Florida....
Sounds like the type of situation that could have been quietly circumvented with an intermediary, or a small bribe to the appropriate party. Now they have to root for the Dolphins.......
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #21
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Very Nice Nuggets....I've always heard about C. Rica...your account and the pics confirm a lot of it.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #22
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

My best friend and his wife went there for their honeymoon...why I don't know it's not like you ever leave your room anyway.

The wife and I are considering it for our 5 year anniversary. trying to decide between that tahiti, and a couple of other places.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:21 PM   #23
Broncobuddy7
\m/ >< \m/

For some of you

I've been in the military for over ten years, and I leave the country 4-5 times every year on military trips. It just so happens that I'm going to South America on Wednesday. We received a medical briefing on Latin/South America as part of our pre-deployment briefing. They told us:

-Don't drink the water.
-Drink only bottled water
-Eat only food that has been cooked or boiled
-Bring medicine for diarrhea
-Tell your bank you're leaving the country so they don't block your cards
-Watch out for pick-pockets
-Your cell phone may work outside the country (call your carrier for details)
-Don't stand out

I know this isn't a very positive list, but keep in mind it's coming from a military perspective.
Broncobuddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:37 PM   #24
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Costa Rica was great about 15 years ago now it's expensive and over priced and expensive. Did I mention expensive.

El Salvador is the current hot place. Now if you don't wake up in a tub of ice with an ache in your side, the side without the kidney than you will have fun.

Last edited by baja; 03-27-2005 at 10:43 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:48 PM   #25
Pezman
Livin the dream

Andy did you hear about this one?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja fan
Costa Rica was great about 15 years ago now it's expensive and over priced and expensive. Did I mention expensive.

El Salvador is the current hot place. Now if you don't wake up in a tub of ice with an ache in your side, the side without the kidney than you will have fun.
I could dig a trip down to Zihuateneo (sp?) but not during the rainy or earthquake season By the way Baja, have you been feeling those 5.0+ quakes down there in the past couple months?

Nugs, I take it this is your graduation trip? I think this would be a good time to talk to you about the birds and the bees son. You see, down in Mexico, there are killer bees, and birds that will pick your bones clean after being stung to death...