The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Ring of Fame Threads
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Choke Job?
Big Time! 36 41.86%
Yes. 22 25.58%
No. 23 26.74%
Greatest Season Ever! All Hail Peyton Manning! 5 5.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #26
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornStore
i find it surprising that broncos fans are so quick to claim manning sucks blah blah blah because of this game.

are the broncos as bad as the colts made them look in the first round? of course not. the patriots have a great defensive scheme, had a bye week to prepare, played at home, AND made great plays on defense and outplayed manning's offense. of course he's going to look bad, just as the broncos looked bad when they were facing a rested colts team that has their number.
No one is saying that Manning sucks, but what is coming under fire is his ability to come up with a road win in adverse conditions against a good defensive team (the game against KC last year doesn't count, their _efense is horrible).

Also the fact that the Patriots have owned them no matter where they've played. For all of his gaudy numbers, Manning gets outplayed by Tom Brady when it matters the most, over and over again.

After all of the talk about how unstoppable the Colts offense was supposed to be from the media, fans, etc I think they deserve to have their noses rubbed in it a bit. We sure took our lumps after they shredded the Broncos last week, now it's their turn.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #27
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
i find it surprising that broncos fans are so quick to claim manning sucks blah blah blah because of this game.

are the broncos as bad as the colts made them look in the first round? of course not. the patriots have a great defensive scheme, had a bye week to prepare, played at home, AND made great plays on defense and outplayed manning's offense. of course he's going to look bad, just as the broncos looked bad when they were facing a rested colts team that has their number.
Eat it tea bag.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:02 PM   #28
CornStore
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
No one is saying that Manning sucks, but what is coming under fire is his ability to come up with a road win in adverse conditions against a good defensive team (the game against KC last year doesn't count, their _efense is horrible).

Also the fact that the Patriots have owned them no matter where they've played. For all of his gaudy numbers, Manning gets outplayed by Tom Brady when it matters the most, over and over again.

After all of the talk about how unstoppable the Colts offense was supposed to be from the media, fans, etc I think they deserve to have their noses rubbed in it a bit. We sure took our lumps after they shredded the Broncos last week, now it's their turn.

well, i think the only game he truly blew it in was the afc championship game last year, and a lot of that again goes to the pats matching up well against him. i think where i disagree with your sentiments about manning is that while i certainly agree the PATS outplay the COLTS every time, i don't think brady outplays manning every time. look at the first regular season game this year. i think manning had a pretty good game (better than brady). the regular season game last year the pats won 38-34, brady had some turnovers late that let the colts back into it and manning played pretty well. manning certainly didn't look good today but how could he have with the way the rest of his offense got outplayed? he didn't choke the game away most certainly and took what he could get with the great D NE played.
CornStore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:05 PM   #29
WaffleBoy
A "House" Guest

Slap, the league changed the rules for Manning, the Pats went with their 4th string corners and a wideout, and "professor" Manning still couldn't deliver. No doubt, it was a choke job. No touchdowns, are you kidding me? Sharpe was right. "What did Manning do when he had the ball?" Absolutely nothing!

The Boy Wonder
WaffleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:07 PM   #30
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleBoy
Slap, the league changed the rules for Manning, the Pats went with their 4th string corners and a wideout, and "professor" Manning still couldn't deliver. No doubt, it was a choke job. No touchdowns, are you kidding me? Sharpe was right. "What did Manning do when he had the ball?" Absolutely nothing!

The Boy Wonder
wait a minute waffle, what about all your talk about "The Professor" this and "The Professor" that?

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:09 PM   #31
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:

The Boy Wonder
I was joking when I asked how the Manning apologists would spin this latest choke job - because its completely indefensible - but they're already out in force.

rofl
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:10 PM   #32
CornStore
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:

The Boy Wonder
actually, choking would be more like what roethlisberger did. almost throwing the game away despite the rest of his offense playing well. the colts offense as a whole got outplayed. manning was moving the ball pretty well at times DESPITE how well NE's defense was playing. but NE's defense also made plays on top of that to force fumbles and dropped passes by the receivers.

the league never changed any rules, either, as much as some of you guys like whining about that. they just made sure blatant holds downfield as in last year's afc championship game wouldn't be overlooked.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:11 PM   #33
WaffleBoy
A "House" Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco
wait a minute waffle, what about all your talk about "The Professor" this and "The Professor" that?
That was sarcasm, SoCal. I HATE Manning. The league tried their best to give this a guy a SB and make him the greatest qb all time. I am glad Sharpe set Marino straight!

The Boy Wonder
Old 01-16-2005, 05:12 PM   #34
CornStore
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
I was joking when I asked how the Manning apologists would spin this latest choke job - because its completely indefensible - but they're already out in force.

rofl
elway would have looked as bad vs that defense in foxboro today (with the rest of the colts offense). sorry bud.
and we won't even get into how today's broncos or any other team in the nfl would have fared today. why not just hand it to the pats on a job well done instead of trying to further your anti-manning agenda any chance you can? i don't even like the patriots and i can admit a good job when i see it.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #35
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I wouldn't say that Payaton choked. I'd say he was outcoached. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Pats next year with no Weiss or Romeo. But in this game, I think the Pats D was just too good, and their game plan was perfect, and their execution was perfect. Seems like the standard Belichick playoff game.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #36
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco
So what can No-ring, I mean Manning, complain about this offseason? Make every team play in a dome?
No just rip out the grass/field turf and put a track in
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:18 PM   #37
WaffleBoy
A "House" Guest

Quote:
elway would have looked as bad vs that defense in foxboro today (with the rest of the colts offense). sorry bud.
and we won't even get into how today's broncos or any other team in the nfl would have fared today. why not just hand it to the pats on a job well done instead of trying to further your anti-manning agenda any chance you can? i don't even like the patriots and i can admit a good job when i see it.
What? Manning is not a big game qb. Elway could scramble and his arm could have taken advantage of a bunch of 4th string corners.

And don't bring up supporting casts, because his supporting cast would have been much better just for the simple fact of free agency.

The Boy Wonder
Old 01-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #38
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco
didn't you start a thread about names in the title?

He put an underscore _ betwen first and last so it didnt screw the title up.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #39
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Hell yeah he did. I don't even need to read the other posts to come to that conclusion. The Colts D showed up and played very good for 3 1/2 quarters. They did their part. But their O stunk up the joint. Who would have thought that would have been the case.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:26 PM   #40
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecRaenos
He put an underscore _ betwen first and last so it didnt screw the title up.
Only as an after thought.

-------------------------------
Nope, Paytown didn't choke. He played OK but the gameplan sucked! What happened to the hurry up? They came out in the 3rd like they were leading big, without fire and a purpose. Receivers dropped passes and fumbled balls all game long. And it's hard to play like an MVP when the defense is smothering your team from all angles.
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:28 PM   #41
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Manning had a good year, CornStore... and perhaps one day he will earn the privilege of credibly being mentioned in the same breath as one of the league's all-time greats... but to date, he hasn't even led his team to a conference championship yet (a feat Elway had accomplished three times in his first seven seasons as a pro). The "stretch" you're trying to make marginalizes Manning's genuine accomplishments, imho.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:29 PM   #42
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
Please, though, start another Slap is an a-hole thread if you must, but let's leave this thread strictly for bashing the choking dog that is Peyton Manning.

Oh, and what a glorious day it is my good friends. and thanks again to Tony Dungy for again signing all the offensive players without any real room to improve the defense for at least another year. thanks for the refs for calling that questionable PI call in the 4th as Peyton would of been up in arms about it himself. congrats on your records Peyton and here's to you having many, many more chokejobs without any rings in the future.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #43
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Before the Tom Brady hype machine gets going again, I'd like to point out that he was a non-factor today. The Pats got 144 yards out of Dillion, their D holds Manning in check the entire game, they held James to 39 yards rushing, and held them to three points. I don't want to hear about Brady and his 144 yards passing.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #44
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
i never said that or meant to imply it. most of the credit in the colts/broncos game has to go to wayne and clark. peyton called good plays but the reason it was such a blowout was because wayne (and his blockers) and clark made some incredible catches and plays.
Wayne looked real good against a rookie corner. Indy exploited a situation they certainly should've. It wasn't rocket science and there weren't any spectacular catches.

Indy has a distinct advantage in playing in a dome. But it is a huge disadvantage when they have to leave the friendly confines for the real world. Peyton looks as uncomfortable in the elements as Marino always did. They are going to have to earn home field advantage for the duration of the playoffs to insure their success.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:33 PM   #45
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Payton is not 0-6 vs Brady, He is 0-6 versus the real MASTERMIND in the NFL. Bilicheck is everything we used to think Shanny was, but is the best in the NFL today.

Hats off to a coach that does not blame injury or bad weather and just gets his guys to play at 100% when it really matters.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:35 PM   #46
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA
Before the Tom Brady hype machine gets going again, I'd like to point out that he was a non-factor today. The Pats got 144 yards out of Dillion, their D holds Manning in check the entire game, they held James to 39 yards rushing, and held them to three points. I don't want to hear about Brady and his 144 yards passing.
That's great Jason. But he made some key plays when they needed them. Picking up first downs. Completing some critical passes in crap conditions. Again, he got the job done. More than you can say for Peyton.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #47
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
the league never changed any rules, either, as much as some of you guys like whining about that. they just made sure blatant holds downfield as in last year's afc championship game wouldn't be overlooked.

, it seems like it didnt matter much. the rules got enforced because of Manning's whining and the Pats ended up crushing them worse than last year to prove a point.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #48
CornStore
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame
Manning had a good year, CornStore... and perhaps one day he will earn the privilege of credibly being mentioned in the same breath as one of the league's all-time greats... but to date, he hasn't even led his team to a conference championship yet (a feat Elway had accomplished three times in his first seven seasons as a pro). The "stretch" you're trying to make marginalizes Manning's genuine accomplishments, imho.
i'm not talking about any long stretch of accomplishments or trying to compare manning's career to elway's. infact, i'm not even a peyton manning fan. it just annoys me to see him get irrationally bashed on this board because some of you guys are bitter about him for whatever reason.

all i meant with that comment is that given the way NE's defense was able to outplay the rest of the colts' offense, NO QUARTERBACK, not even one as good as elway would have looked good. manning wasn't the one failing to tackle dillon, or the one fumbling caught balls, or killing drives with dropped passes. no qb can overcome that, not manning, not elway, not montana, and not even jim kelly =P
Old 01-16-2005, 05:37 PM   #49
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
Well... next year the Super Bowl is in a dome isn't it? If they could manage to come up with home field advantage throughout the playoffs then Prince Peyton would have the nice, sterile football conditions which make him the best QB in the NFL.
Rep for this one. If the Colts got to play all 16 games in a dome, they'd be 16-0. Get them outside in the cold and they struggle. Even in the snow game a couple of years back at Mile High, the Broncos slowed their O down a lot. I think both teams scored in the low 20s, and it became a battle between the kickers late in the game. The Colts need homefield advantage more than any other team in the league.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:38 PM   #50
CornStore
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
Wayne looked real good against a rookie corner. Indy exploited a situation they certainly should've. It wasn't rocket science and there weren't any spectacular catches.

Indy has a distinct advantage in playing in a dome. But it is a huge disadvantage when they have to leave the friendly confines for the real world. Peyton looks as uncomfortable in the elements as Marino always did. They are going to have to earn home field advantage for the duration of the playoffs to insure their success.

i don't disagree about the dome/road thing. but despite playing on the road, vs a well rested team with an extra week to prepare, manning STILL moved the ball pretty well ... his receviers let him down with drops and fumbles.

and about the colts/broncos game. there was a diving catch wayne amde on an overthrown ball if i recall, and a ball clark tipped to himself and caught in a pretty incredible fashion. certainly they weren't all like that but manning did get bailed out by his receivers many times (and certainly all those YAC have to go to the linemen/WRs making blocks etc, not manning). but the reverse happened today -- credit ne, but don't blame manning.