|10-30-2004, 08:38 PM||#1|
Thanks for the memories
Join Date: Oct 2002
Miami goes down
Miami just got beat on a last second 42 yard FG. GG to the Heels. So long goalpost and Miami NC aspirations.
The 2004 Neck Pony Nation / Orangemane Fantasy Football Champion
Sideburn's Evil Head Brigade (14-1)
|10-31-2004, 12:24 AM||#3|
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
In a sense i am very relieved because i did not want Miami to get to the Title game and face a team like USC or OU, who while both arent the real deal i think, they both would soundly beat us. I much rather preferred finishing no. 3 in the BCS playing in the Sugar or Fiesta (Sugar, playing in the Fiesta in an even year especially is doom), winning the sugar and hoping the AP gave us its share of the national title. Wont happen and thats fine because we dont deserve it. The Defense has gone 3 straight games giving up 500 or more yards. Something happened about halfway through the season and im not sure what it was and we went from being the top defense in america to falling down the charts like a rock.
Here are my thoughts on the game and the general state of Miami football:
1. Brock Berlin is REALLY improving. No joke. He was one of the few bright spots tonight. I think there is now a viable chance he will be drafted in the 6th or 7th and at least get a FA contract. While he is still not as accurate as he needs to be, he is making much better decisions and has drastically cut down on his interceptions. His arm strength is also better.
2. The LB corps flat out SUCKS. Rocky McIntosh is a 4th year Junior. He had aspirations of coming out early this year and possibly with a good 11 games, being a first rounder. Forget it. Although he was clearly the best of the LBs in the Carolina game, he is having a hard time getting off blocks and tackling. He doesnt wrap up as well as D.J. and he doesnt take good angles like Vilma. For a guy that was arguably Miami's best LB in 2002, he sure hasnt lived up to what we thought we were getting. He still has alot of athletic potential but i am disappointed in Rocky. Tavares Gooden overran a bunch of plays tonight. He also had problems shedding blocks. I am not as concerned with Tavares because this is his first year starting and he is a true sophomore. He started out the season hot, but like the rest of the defense has hit a major wall. I believe Tavares will be a first round pick but it will take at least one more full year of seasoning. Finally we get to the most ineffective LB, Leon Williams. Where the **** was this guy tonight? He is physically awesome. The guy has been here four years and he doesnt look like he has made alot of progress. The book on Leon was he was damn good against the run but sucked in pass coverage. Well it looks to me that he isnt that good against the run and certainly sucks against the pass. He also was owned by lineman the whole night. This guy is just wasted talent. I am really sad. He really is physically impressive but just doesnt seem to do well in games. To sum it up, Please get healthy soon Willie!!
3. Defensive Line- I thought you were going to be a monster this year Orien, what happened? To be fair, he is being doubled alot but i honestly havent noticed him causing that much havoc this year even when he is singled up. Further, the rest of the DLine does not seem to be benefitting from Harris taking up blockers either. I thought he was top 15 talent i think he is probably early 2nd round talent. Baraka Atkins was also a guy who i thought would have 10 sacks this year but hasnt been effective off the edge. Losing Thomas for this game hurt but we sucked against the run the last few weeks anyway. Nanton is the most disappointing. Not even starting anymore after getting 16 sacks last year. This Defensive Line totally owned people for 3 weeks and then got their asses handed to them 3 weeks straight by slightly above average to scrub OLines.
3. The secondary is not all world. The safeties are barely above average. Rolle was off his game tonight, he really was. He is still damn good though. I thought Jennings was ok. Dont get me started on Maxey. We are feeling the depth pinch. Sharpe and Walden being out is KILLING us. Hester is coming along though.
4. OLine- very good pass pro, not great in the run game.
5. Young WRs- a BRIGHT SPOT. Lance Legget is going to be GREAT, you heard it here first. Jolla is finally contributing. Jenkins and Moss made plays and Parrish is a nice speed guy. Pity the homer that told me Ryan Moore was better than Mike Williams.
6. Hester- this Pimp was another bright spot tonight. He will be in the NFL, its a STONE COLD LOCK.
7. Coaching- Generally Poor. Randy Shannon is TOO STUBBORN. You cannot ALWAYS play 2 deep man underneath. They will run Crossing routes ALL the time, and run QB draws after they clear out the men underneath. Have some unpredictability. Be imaginative...DO SOMETHING!!! Dan Werner on the offensive side actually hasnt been too bad this year.