The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2005, 03:10 PM   #176
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn®
Now I definitely have to go out and get them again.

I've started Frankenstein by Koontz and it looks like it's going to be a great one. Like his old school books.
MT,

Have you checked out the Narnia books yet?

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #177
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Finished reading Tides of War....I think Gates of Fire was better but it was still a good book. I'd give it a B and Gates of Fire a A.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #178
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan
MT,

Have you checked out the Narnia books yet?

Ben

I haven't, Ben. I'm out of stuff to read right now though, so next time I am at the library, I will pick them up.

I just finished Life Expectancy by Koontz. A very un-Koontz like writing style, but I liked it. It didn't have all the odd stuff Koontz usually puts in his books, but there was a lot of comedy. It got a thumbs up from me.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:29 PM   #179
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn®
I haven't, Ben. I'm out of stuff to read right now though, so next time I am at the library, I will pick them up.

I just finished Life Expectancy by Koontz. A very un-Koontz like writing style, but I liked it. It didn't have all the odd stuff Koontz usually puts in his books, but there was a lot of comedy. It got a thumbs up from me.
I'm gonna have to check out "Frankenstein" and "Life Expectancy" and see what they're about.

Ben
Old 04-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #180
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Let me know what you think of them.

I liked them a hell of a lot more than I've liked anything else of his for about the last 8 years.

I can't wait for the next Frankenstein to come out. Damn, I hate when you have to wait for books.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:26 PM   #181
No1BroncoFan
Old School

God, but this is frustrating! There's a new Harry Potter book on the market and I can't buy it. Why oh why did I pre-order? Right now I'm in limbo, not even knowing if it'll get forwarded from Oregon or not. ARRRRRRRRGH!

Ben
Old 12-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #182
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Just finished reading Last of the Mohicans. A good book and really really puts teh movie to shame, as most great novels do.

Next on the list is "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. I've been looking forward to reading this one for a while.

After that I've got:
Bushido: The way of the Samurai
Hagakure: Book of teh Samurai
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #183
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

I just re-read The Fountainhead. And I'm a little more than halfway through Siddartha.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:06 PM   #184
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo
And I'm a little more than halfway through Siddartha.

Hesse is incredible.

"Demian" and "Steppenwolf" are my favorites.

Right now I'm working on "Occidental Mythology" by Joseph Campbell and "The Mayan Prophecies" by Adrian Gilbert.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:56 AM   #185
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
I just re-read The Fountainhead. And I'm a little more than halfway through Siddartha.

Is it me, or did it seem like the tooey's of the world win with that ending in a way
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:12 AM   #186
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Just fininshed the gunslinger by stephen king. I re-read every book in the series when a new one comes out.
Elway 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:38 AM   #187
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Finished Jim Butcher's Dead Beat last week. Good, pulpy fun. Modern day wizard battles Necromancers & their Zombie hordes in Chicago.

Got Martin's Feast for Crows for Christmas. Only about 100 pages into it so far, and it's starting a little slow, but I've still got my hopes up.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:25 AM   #188
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

i dont really read books much anymore. i cant sit down and read for a long period of time i get to bored. id rather be out partying or playing sports
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:34 AM   #189
MajikMan7
Ring of Famer

Alando 'National TV' Tucker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Plummer

I'm currently reading Forgiven : One Man's Journey from Self-Glorification to Sanctification by Vince Russo.
MajikMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:02 AM   #190
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

I read In the Company of Heroes by CW4 Michael Durant. It's about his experience as a prisoner of war for 11 days in Mogadishu, Somalia in 1993. Very good book.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:32 AM   #191
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
Is it me, or did it seem like the tooey's of the world win with that ending in a way
I suppose in some respects yes. But not before suffering a staggering defeat. Toohey had to start all over. Granted it probably wouldn't have taken as long for him to put his minions in place. But nevertheless he couldn't defeat Roark.

From my point of view the ending showed that the Roark's of the world really come out on top. He stayed true to himself and ended up being responsible for the biggest erection (laugh it up kiddos) New York had ever seen. Not to mention he wound up with the broad.

Even though perhaps the individualist may never completely defeat the second hander, his victory is more righteous and fulfilling because he does it simply for himself.

Toohey failed. Roark did not.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #192
LordHelmchen
Single-Malt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal
Just finished reading Last of the Mohicans. A good book and really really puts teh movie to shame, as most great novels do.

Next on the list is "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. I've been looking forward to reading this one for a while.

After that I've got:
Bushido: The way of the Samurai
Hagakure: Book of teh Samurai
Props for bumping this thread

More props for reminding me of a book I wanted to read when I was like 10 or 11 and my mom wouldn't let me. Now, almost 20 years later, I get reminded of it on a football board

Just ordered my copy.

I'm reading "Der Schwarm" at the moment, really gripping eco thriller..nature strikes back. Won't be realeased until June 2006 in the USA, but when it is, I recommend it""

Next up:
Two Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett
Thucydides - The History of the Peloponnesian War
Aeschylus - Persians
Herodotus - The Histories
Jean Jacques Machado - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt Techniques
LordHelmchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:57 PM   #193
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
I suppose in some respects yes. But not before suffering a staggering defeat. Toohey had to start all over. Granted it probably wouldn't have taken as long for him to put his minions in place. But nevertheless he couldn't defeat Roark.

From my point of view the ending showed that the Roark's of the world really come out on top. He stayed true to himself and ended up being responsible for the biggest erection (laugh it up kiddos) New York had ever seen. Not to mention he wound up with the broad.

Even though perhaps the individualist may never completely defeat the second hander, his victory is more righteous and fulfilling because he does it simply for himself.

Toohey failed. Roark did not.

I don't disagree with that point - i just felt that it was left open that the tooey's never really 'lost'.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:37 PM   #194
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
I don't disagree with that point - i just felt that it was left open that the tooey's never really 'lost'.
Ok. I agree with that.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:02 PM   #195
No1BroncoFan
Old School

For the C.S. Lewis fans out there. Have you been to see "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" yet? I'll probably go to see it again before it leaves the theatres. That's very high praise coming from someone who has only seen three movies more than once at the theatres since "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" left the big screen! "Narnia" is one of the years best films and one of the best adaptations ever!

Ben
Old 12-29-2005, 06:43 AM   #196
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
For the C.S. Lewis fans out there. Have you been to see "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" yet? I'll probably go to see it again before it leaves the theatres. That's very high praise coming from someone who has only seen three movies more than once at the theatres since "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" left the big screen! "Narnia" is one of the years best films and one of the best adaptations ever!

Ben

Great movie....

I just finished Scar Tissue -Anthony Kiedis's autobiography....

am currently reading Freakanomics...
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:58 PM   #197
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

So 'Narnia' was good, huh? I'll take your word for it, Ben since you know your stuff when it comes to good reading and the movie stuff. I wanted to take my oldest daughter to see it, but I didn't want to be disappointed. She is currently in book 3 of the Chronicles and loving them. I'll have to get out and see it.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:40 PM   #198
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Speaking of movies... I just got back from "Goblet of Fire." Wow! Just, wow! I can't believe I waited this long to see it. This one I will see again!

Ben
Old 01-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #199
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

ok music people

I'm about the same age as Chuck Klosterman and I just got done reading his Fargo Rock City book, pretty damn funny book and I agreed with a lot of what he said...except for the metallica part and poison part, I can't stand poison.

I also read his newest book, Killing Yourself to Live, that was pretty funny as well
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:05 PM   #200
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

Quote:

Ben
I have been waiting for this movie to come out since I was a little girl. It actually opened on my birthday, so that was a GREAT birthday present! I love that whole Series! I'm already looking forward to the next movie! They did a great job of really sticking to the story! A little slow in a couple of parts...but, that is how the story goes! I am always so moved by that story. I have an old cartoon copy of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe...it's an old type of cartoon so it's actually funny now when I watch it...but, I've always loved it!

Ever read any of CS Lewis' other books? Mere Christianity?
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote