The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #1201
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Steelheart, by Brandon Sanderson (same guy who completed Wheel of Time and authored the Mistborn trilogy).

Premise: About 10 years ago, a mysterious event granted comic book-like superpowers to a number of random individuals. (Perhaps a hundred or so in the US alone). Bad news is that virtually every one of them becomes a super-villain: arrogant, tyrannical, psychopathic, sadistic, etc. The level of power varies, but a good number of them are immortal and "almost" invulnerable.

I say "almost" because every one of them has some secret individual "weakness," which often makes no particular sense outside of comic book conventions.

The government collapses and the entire country is broken into numerous small "city-states" and spheres of influence for the various super-villains, called "Epics."

The protagonists are a small group of resistance fighters, dedicated to assassinating the villains, one-by-one-by-one. It takes place primarily in Newcago, which is what is left of Chicago after almost every inorganic object in the city was turned to steel by a bad guy.

Light reading, but fun if you like that kind of stuff.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #1202
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

gutenberg.org - http://www.gutenberg.org/

Check it out, good stuff online. Classics like Poe, Dickens, etc . . . ..
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #1203
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
gutenberg.org - http://www.gutenberg.org/

Check it out, good stuff online. Classics like Poe, Dickens, etc . . . ..
Your right but I prefer to read a hard copy even if I have to resort to reading glasses these days.

When I got my 1st smart phone back before the general public had them I read a couple e-books and it just wasn't the same. I read a bunch of Doyle's Holmes short stories and stuff I could find for free, mostly at lunch if I was alone. All I ended up doing was wearing down the battery and then couldn't make a call when I needed to later in the day, this was back when you were lucky to get 6-8 hours of battery time on a smart phone.

There are all sorts of places to get used books dirt cheap that I don't need to go online looking for more. Plus with all the "Green" issues I prefer to use a device that doesn't need to be powered to read.

I could see where it would be a boon for some one who took a train and commuted to work every day but for sitting at home or in the back yard I prefer my read pile.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #1204
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Your right but I prefer to read a hard copy even if I have to resort to reading glasses these days.

When I got my 1st smart phone back before the general public had them I read a couple e-books and it just wasn't the same. I read a bunch of Doyle's Holmes short stories and stuff I could find for free, mostly at lunch if I was alone. All I ended up doing was wearing down the battery and then couldn't make a call when I needed to later in the day, this was back when you were lucky to get 6-8 hours of battery time on a smart phone.

There are all sorts of places to get used books dirt cheap that I don't need to go online looking for more. Plus with all the "Green" issues I prefer to use a device that doesn't need to be powered to read.

I could see where it would be a boon for some one who took a train and commuted to work every day but for sitting at home or in the back yard I prefer my read pile.
There's this thing called "change font" and expand. For instance, I'm reading this page at 175%. Looks nice. You download and save the book in plain text then suit it to your screen, Gene.

I have this thing called a DC to AC inverter in my truck, it charges batteries that run off of AC. Takes the DC power from the truck battery, changes it to AC, and voila, you have AC power at demand . . . .
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #1205
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
There's this thing called "change font" and expand. For instance, I'm reading this page at 175%. Looks nice. You download and save the book in plain text then suit it to your screen, Gene.

I have this thing called a DC to AC inverter in my truck, it charges batteries that run off of AC. Takes the DC power from the truck battery, changes it to AC, and voila, you have AC power at demand . . . .
Yep, I know you can change the fonts and I have a phone charger in my car as well.

My point was that I prefer hard copy books so much I would rather use reading glasses than resort to a laptop, phone, or tablet even though they are easier to use/read. It is not the same to me, plus I can't take a powered device into a hot tub though I am sure a lot of you guys would like me to.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #1206
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Yep, I know you can change the fonts and I have a phone charger in my car as well.

My point was that I prefer hard copy books so much I would rather use reading glasses than resort to a laptop, phone, or tablet even though they are easier to use/read. It is not the same to me, plus I can't take a powered device into a hot tub though I am sure a lot of you guys would like me to.
I held on to physical books for a long time always saying I would never go the ebook route. Then my mom bought me a kindle for my bday and I never went back. I travel a fair amount for work and I hated carting around several books for the longer trips. With books on my kindle as well as my phone auto synching it is so convenient to read when I have a few minuets. As pansy as it sounds, physically turning pages and holding a heavy book is not anywhere near as comfortable as a tablet. About 6 months ago I read a physical Clancy book and remembered why it had been years since I last did the real book thing.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #1207
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Just finished The Dark Tower series. I don't even know how to feel after that ending. God damnit. ****.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:34 AM   #1208
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

I have been reading CJ Box's Joe Pickett series. If you hunt and and like mystery & suspense, you might like it.
tesnyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #1209
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I have the kindle for PC app....so, I can have ebooks on by laptop and download from amazon. Works great. I will say...I'm still trying to get used to it. I'm so used the feel of a real book.

I recently read, "The Columbus Affair" by Steve Berry, "White Fire" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child", and "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson.

The Columbus Affair and White Fire both mysteries and easy reads. Gilead was superb...great book!

Next up for me: the "Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt, and "The Art Forger" by B.A. Shapiro. Has anyone read either of these two??
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #1210
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
I have the kindle for PC app....so, I can have ebooks on by laptop and download from amazon. Works great. I will say...I'm still trying to get used to it. I'm so used the feel of a real book.

I recently read, "The Columbus Affair" by Steve Berry, "White Fire" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child", and "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson.

The Columbus Affair and White Fire both mysteries and easy reads. Gilead was superb...great book!

Next up for me: the "Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt, and "The Art Forger" by B.A. Shapiro. Has anyone read either of these two??
Chick lit.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #1211
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

I sort of have a backlog on my books, I have a few hard copies because they aren't available as Ebooks, a ton on Kennedy and Hitler because I read other books that pointed me to these. I find history quite fascinating. For fun, I am reading George Takei's "Oh Myyyy!" on my kindle which is pretty funny. That dude is hilarious.

As for my other kindle books current in line; Four Days in November, An Unfinished Life, The Death of a President, The Kennedy Half Century, all procured around the 50th anniversary, and I keep meaning to read. I also got, Chris Carter's "Crucifix Killer" some sort of serial of books that I read somewhere was good so figured I'd start it. I also have a bunch of Stephen King stuff, Erik Larson, Charlaine Harris and Karin Slaughter stuff. I tend to vary between history, biography, true crime, suspense-horror and on occasion fluffier historical romance books like Diana Gabaldon and Deborah Harkness (which is actually history-romance-horror...sort of Twilight if it was written for non-stupid people).
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #1212
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Currently reading Unbroken, I know it has been out for awhile but I needed a break from the Patrick OBrian series and was having trouble finding another book after starting a good 5 other books.

http://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-World.../dp/1400064163

I can't put this thing down, I read Seabiscuit by the same author and loved her writting style but this one is even better. You can tell she researched a lot about the Pacific theater air war as far as the B-17's and B-24's, lots of great info.

Zamp was on pace to be the 1st sub 4 minute miler and ran in the '36 Olympics, even getting Goebbels to take a picture of Hitler after running his race. Interesting how a life can be interrupted like that and what he had to endure. I can relate.

I started a book on BeBop after reading Leaves of Grass before trying to get into Collages by Anais Nin and a Carl Hiaasen book.

Highly recommend Unbroken so much I am going to log off to read some more.