The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #776
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I bought a 2nd hand copy of War and Peace this summer also... I still need to finish, by that I mean start, Les Miserables.
Haven't read Les Mis yet. Seen the musical about 15 times, but never started the book
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #777
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
Haven't read Les Mis yet. Seen the musical about 15 times, but never started the book
I think it is going back in the "read later" pile, I checked this out the library:

http://www.amazon.com/Day-We-Found-U.../dp/0375424296

Looks awesome and jumped behind my Apollo Guidance computer book I am reading now.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #778
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893 View Post

Do we know each other by any chance?

My friend, who spends a fortune at B&N every month, gave me the first book of Vince Flynn´s Mitch Rapp series when I visited her and I went thru the whole series in less than a month afterwards. Hadn´t really read a fiction book in ages before that. Recently also went thru the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva. Looking forward to his new book, which is out this month.
Tell your friend to check out the Kindle Reader sold by Amazon they have 300,000 titles available for this electronic reader, most for $9.99 all in one 4 oz. book... AWESOME!!!!!

Last edited by baja; 07-07-2009 at 07:59 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #779
Mr. Trout
World Champion

The Last Survivor by Marcus Lutrell..awesome...read all 470 pages in one day at the airport.
Mr. Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #780
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Just finished King Arthur by M. K. Hume. Really enjoyed it. It suprised me.

Also, Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullen = win.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:38 AM   #781
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

I hear Gaff's next book is coming out soon ...

TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:35 AM   #782
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Just finished King Arthur by M. K. Hume. Really enjoyed it. It suprised me.

Also, Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullen = win.

Agreed. Antony and Cleopatra is the weakest of the entire series, but its still a solid book.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #783
KillerBronco#76
Perennial Pro-bowler

"The Beast" From the east

Just finished re-reading my Two favorite books of all time...

I you have never read McCarthy do yourself a favor and pick up blood meridian incredible book as far as blending history and fiction. the battle of science and faith. And the hypocrisy of war and religion. Never read a book before that made killing almost poetic very interesting and not to long of a read.

Suttree has alot of really dark humor. So if you arn't a really cynical person you might want to stay away but the literary skill in both these books is amazing.

You can tell he loves classic style of writing, IMO it is like reading Faulkner with action.

Last edited by KillerBronco#76; 07-08-2009 at 07:33 PM..
KillerBronco#76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #784
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBronco#76 View Post
Just finished re-reading my Two favorite books of all time...

I you have never read McCarthy do yourself a favor and pick up blood meridian incredible book as far as blending history and fiction. the battle of science and faith. And the hypocrisy of war and religion. Never read a book before that made killing almost poetic very interesting and not to long of a read.

Suttree has alot of really dark humor. So if you arn't a really cynical person you might want to stay away but the literary skill in both these books is amazing.

You can tell he loves classic style of writing, IMO it is like reading Faulkner with action.
I am a big fan of Cormac.

Ever read "The Road" or the Trilogy, All the Pretty Horses, Cities of the plain, The Crossing?

Great stuff by our greatest living author.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #785
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Currently reading "The Real Frank Zappa Book."

Some really funny anecdotes and war stories - even if you're not a fan.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #786
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Currently reading "The Real Frank Zappa Book."

Some really funny anecdotes and war stories - even if you're not a fan.
When I heard about Zappa, I bought either We're only in it for the money and or Lumpy gravy (maybe on same CD?) anyway I decided to listen to it one night before bed with the head phones in the dark, I was into that back then.

I turned my amp and CD player on put the headphones on then cranked it up kinda high.

Anyway a couple minutes later my dad busts in the room, he calmly asked me to turn it down. Apparently I forgot to set the amp to the headphones.

My poor dad worked like 3 jobs at the time and here I am waking him up to crazy Zappa **** I really didn't like.

I did get into Captian Beefheart for a while. I was in my Luigi Nono Luciano Berio Phase.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #787
KillerBronco#76
Perennial Pro-bowler

"The Beast" From the east

Quote:
I am a big fan of Cormac.

Ever read "The Road" or the Trilogy, All the Pretty Horses, Cities of the plain, The Crossing?

Great stuff by our greatest living author.
Huge fan,

I just read "The Road" and " No Country for Old Men" have not had the chance to start on the Trilogy yet, was side tracked by "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", then i decided to read Meridian and Suttree again

"The Road" was by far the easiest read. It meant alot to me personally because the relationship i had with my father but prose wise was very basic compared to his others. Especially considering some of the archaic language he uses in his other novels.

Blood Meridian was the first book i read by him, i was about 100 pages untill I finally truly understood what he was saying so i started over. i have now read it 5 times, never read anything like it before i don't think I will ever get tired of that book. I could talk for days on that one. The judge is my favorite character of all time because of what he represents even though he tends to be on the evil side.

But, Suttree is written so poetically it amazes me how he can write about subjects so dark yet with complete beauty (for lack of a better word).

Always nice to know someone appreciates good literature many people I try to get to read his books don't understand what he is trying to say and give up . So I would recommend "The Road" for someone who hasn't read him.
KillerBronco#76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #788
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Tell your friend to check out the Kindle Reader sold by Amazon they have 300,000 titles available for this electronic reader, most for $9.99 all in one 4 oz. book... AWESOME!!!!!
I bought an Amazon Kindle this year and it's one of the best investments I've made! I've been reading alot more books, thanks to the Kindle, and it has some cool features (like the ability to underline your favorite passages in a book and later read your highlighted passages on the web)

Also with the Kindle you can download the 1st chapter of a book for free. After reading a chapter I usually can tell if the book is worth purchasing or not.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #789
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Couple things, I am now thinking of buying the Kindle thing and loading it with books (though I loathe to do it because I really have a thing about having a book in my hand, the printed word, don't know why, but just still value that, probably why I still buy movies and not just download them all...I like the physicality of ownership I guess). It's on Amazon for $299...is that a good price? Anyone know any better places to get it, etc or is it worth it?

Secondly, I tried going through all these posts and probably will eventually to compile an interesting list of reads, but I am looking for some specific recommendations on non-fiction history and biographies. Would really like to learn more about Churchill, FDR, Teddy Roosevelt, The early struggle for women's equality in the US, but also internationally (getting the vote, etc), Catherine the Great of Russia, Queen Victoria and her reign, Ronald Reagan, Iran Contra, John F. Kennedy, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson,, The history of the FBI, CIA, KGB type stuff, Benjamin Franklin, Margaret Thatcher. Just kind of feeling this need to read interesting stuff and learn a little more. A little Italian History woudl be great too so when I go visit there next year I feel less ignorant. Which reminds me, anyone know any good language learning things? I would like to get a basic knowledge to travel with of German, French and Italian.

And finally any suggestions on books or videos that are good for learning the history of the National Football League and the development of American Football and specifically the Denver Broncos (I have seen some the NFL videos, they are lacking quite a bit I think, particularly on the early history of the team). I know some stuff I can get on the net, but some of that's just so sketchy, I would prefer stuff that actually had to be published by a vaguely reputable publishing house.

Well, have a good one. Looking forward to seeing some of your suggestions. (I did look on Amazon, there were some good ones there, but also some really stupid things).
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #790
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
. It's on Amazon for $299...is that a good price? Anyone know any better places to get it, etc or is it worth it?
It's an excellent price. They just dropped the price $60 to $299 about a week ago. I don't think you can get a new one anywhere else, at least not cheaper.

And as far as ownership, you always have the books with you. The battery lasts about a week, too, if you leave the wireless off, except when you're downloading or shopping.

Many of the books are only $.99 and some are even free.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #791
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Saw some dude talking about a book called Life Inc., on the Colbert Report the other day. Looked interesting.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #792
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBronco#76 View Post
Huge fan,

I just read "The Road" and " No Country for Old Men" have not had the chance to start on the Trilogy yet, was side tracked by "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", then i decided to read Meridian and Suttree again

"The Road" was by far the easiest read. It meant alot to me personally because the relationship i had with my father but prose wise was very basic compared to his others. Especially considering some of the archaic language he uses in his other novels.

Blood Meridian was the first book i read by him, i was about 100 pages untill I finally truly understood what he was saying so i started over. i have now read it 5 times, never read anything like it before i don't think I will ever get tired of that book. I could talk for days on that one. The judge is my favorite character of all time because of what he represents even though he tends to be on the evil side.

But, Suttree is written so poetically it amazes me how he can write about subjects so dark yet with complete beauty (for lack of a better word).

Always nice to know someone appreciates good literature many people I try to get to read his books don't understand what he is trying to say and give up . So I would recommend "The Road" for someone who hasn't read him.
If you love McCarthy you should give William Gay a try. His novel Twilight (not to be confused with the putrid and inferior vampire series) is one of the darkest things I've ever read and is written in a similar poetic style to McCarthy. Check out a synopsis here: http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Willi...7938076&sr=1-2. His short story collection I Hate To See That Evening Sun Go Down is amazing as well. He has two other works I have yet to read--Long Way Home and Provinces of Night--but will be reading them soon. He also has a new novel coming out in November called The Lost Country.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #793
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

I just finished "The Wealthy Barber" Some of the material is dated but still good practice.

Everyone should read this book ASAP Especially you young kids.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #794
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Just finished "The Crossing" by Cormac McCarthy.

Good book, but I liked "All the Pretty Horses" better.

The first half of "The Crossing" was very good....I really enjoyed the wolf trapping. The second half kind of drug on. McCarthy has some very long winded philosophical prose, some of which dragged on for pages and pages and kind of bored me.

All in all, a good read though.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #795
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

The first half of "The Crossing" was very good....I really enjoyed the wolf trapping. The second half kind of drug on. McCarthy has some very long winded philosophical prose, some of which dragged on for pages and pages and kind of bored me.

Did you read Cities of the plain?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #796
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Did you read Cities of the plain?
That is next on my list to read.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #797
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

I got the new Dan Brown book, "The Lost Symbol" last night. I'll let you all know how it is.

Recent reads:
Anne McCaffrey - "The Tower and the Hive" series.
Pretty typical McCaffrey. Good, but not great, mildly over the top Sci-Fi.

Neil Gaiman - "The Graveyard Book"
Mildly sub-standard for Gaiman, way above standard for anyone else. This guy is a major talent and I would recommend any of his books but especially "Stardust" (they kinda based a movie on it but got it so terribly wrong...), "American Gods" and "Interworld" (aimed at "young adult" readers but I've rarely had as much fun reading a book).

Cornelia Funke - "The Thief Lord" and "Dragon Rider"
Another couple of books aimed at "young adult" readers but can be read by anyone. The dim-wit who writes the pathetic "Eragon" books should be forced to read "Dragon Rider!"

Greg Iles - "The Footprints of God"
So-so thriller about a supercomputer/god figure. Overdone concepts without much new to the genre. A "cookie-cutter" book. I'll give Mr. Iles another chance (this is the first of his I've read), but if he doesn't have better game I'll be looking elswhere.

Terry Pratchett - "Truckers," "Diggers" and "Wings"
The Bromeliad Trilogy. An absolutely charming set of books about the Fey Folk in the modern world.

On deck:
Anything/everything I can get my hands on!

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #798
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Right now, I am reading 'Scar Tissue', an autobiography by Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #799
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable. By Nicholas Massim Taleb.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #800
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

I read "Pretty Horses" and "Cities of the Plain," but have somehow missed the middle book. Good reading.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote