The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2004, 03:12 PM   #26
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by football idiot
Read the count of Monte Cristo recently.

There is a reason it's a serious classic, one of the most popular novels ever written, still relevant 150 years later, still gripping, exciting, and intriguing.

highly reccomended, especially if you liked the movie. unfortunately I had the abridged version (it sounded like the original version was an extra 500 pages).
I was about half way through, original version, when I bought a house. So its been put on the back burner.

Its a really good book. Hopefully I get some free time so I can finish reading it.

Any ideas on what I should read next?
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #27
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca
on the topic of comics, has anyone read batman: the dark knight strikes again? i saw it at the library and grabbed it, thinking that i had another dark knight returns on my hands.
it was possibly one of the biggest letdowns i've experienced in recent years... dark night returns was one of the coolest, most groundbreaking comics ever and this one just plain stunk.
I think DK2 was supposed to be a satire.

I didn't like it either.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 06:51 AM   #28
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

hey how was that Clinton book? I'm not big on auto biographies, or biographis in general but that one got me thinking about checking it out for whatever reason.

So far so good. It's 957 pages and I'm only on page 64, so I'll hold off on the review for now...
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:44 AM   #29
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude
Just finished reading "Tales to Astonish: Jack Kirby, Stan Lee and the American Comic Book Revolution" by Ronin Ro.

Pretty interesting book if you're into the history of the comics industry. Or if you're just a fan of Lee or Kirby or Ditko in general.

Martin Goodman (the publisher) comes off as a bit of a villain, which is probably inevitable for anyone on the business end of a creative effort, but otherwise, I thought the book did a good job of staying objective and of identifying who contributed what to what, the battles over creative rights, market forces and so forth.

For those more interested in the creations than the creators, it also had many interesting tidbits about how certain characters were originally inspired, conceived or designed and conflicts concerning the directions in which they were taken.

For example, back in the 60's, at Marvel, the artists did most of the story plotting, and the writers mostly handled captions and dialogue, after the fact. (This was the reverse of te way DC and most other companies operated at the time.) One of the reasons Steve Ditko quit illustrating Spider-Man was discontent over the way Lee was developing the character and changing the plots. (Turns out Lee knew what he was doing, obviously)

Lots of insights into the personalities of the key players as well - especially Jack Kirby.
That sounds like an interesting book, Old Dude.

Have you ever checked out The Quarter Bin? It hasn't been updated in ages, but there are some thought provoking articles on there anyway.

Its kind of sad, but a lot of people buy into the idea that Stan Lee was ripping off his artists, primarily because his relationship with Jack Kirby ended on bad terms. Its sad that these people are badmouthing Lee now, but they'll probably be canonizing him after he dies.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:58 PM   #30
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
That sounds like an interesting book, Old Dude.

Have you ever checked out The Quarter Bin? It hasn't been updated in ages, but there are some thought provoking articles on there anyway.

Its kind of sad, but a lot of people buy into the idea that Stan Lee was ripping off his artists, primarily because his relationship with Jack Kirby ended on bad terms. Its sad that these people are badmouthing Lee now, but they'll probably be canonizing him after he dies.
Yeah, I've been by that site a few times. Great stuff. I especially like the "worst costumes" section.

I'm not sure how much of "Tales to Astonish" is really original because, frankly, I've never been that much into the creator background stuff.

I'd say that it doesn't really go out of its way to make either Kirby or Lee look good or bad.

What comes across is that Kirby was a great artist, an incredible workhorse, and a great storyteller in terms of his layouts. However, he couldn't write dialogue worth s***.

Lee wasn't so hot at inventing original material, but once you gave him some daylight (as Kirby did), he could run with the ball pretty well. He never seems to get any credit for being a fine art editor or talent scout, and he did a great job at both.

A lot of it just boils down to money. Kirby wanted more bucks and/or credit for generating the stories, and Goodman just wasn't willing to do that.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:35 PM   #31
want2bAbronco
Seasoned Veteran

Dragon Lance the 20 some odd books series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. im on Dragons of a Fallen Sun right now, i love this series!

also read a lot of the Star Wars books. Heir to the empire atm. Shadows of the Empire by Steven Perry and The Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers, both were really good.

when i get time im going to read the Harry Potter series and LOTR *yes i know im the only person in the world that hasn't read both of those series!*

anyone read The Da Vinci Code?
want2bAbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:10 PM   #32
mosca
grand pubah

honest optimism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bubby Brister

as for dragonlance, the chronicles and legends were epic... chronicles being one of my all-time fave reads ever. the characters in those books were like family to me at one time. tales was good too, some great short stories there.
heir to the empire was good... for some reason i never got around to reading the books after that.
mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:26 AM   #33
want2bAbronco
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca
as for dragonlance, the chronicles and legends were epic... chronicles being one of my all-time fave reads ever. the characters in those books were like family to me at one time. tales was good too, some great short stories there.
heir to the empire was good... for some reason i never got around to reading the books after that.

i know what you mean! i have went out and bought a lot of the pre books about the characters. Tanis and why he is a half bread etc... i love all the books. i just dont have time to work, spend time with wife/daughter, friends, xbox, and read!
Old 07-27-2004, 12:55 PM   #34
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2bAbronco
i know what you mean! i have went out and bought a lot of the pre books about the characters. Tanis and why he is a half bread etc... i love all the books. i just dont have time to work, spend time with wife/daughter, friends, xbox, and read!
Oh jeez, what a bunch of nerds you guys are.

Of course, who am I to talk? I role-played the whole Dragonlance series in D&D.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:06 PM   #35
want2bAbronco
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude
Oh jeez, what a bunch of nerds you guys are.

Of course, who am I to talk? I role-played the whole Dragonlance series in D&D.

lol thats ok, i use to play Role Master, Shadow Run, Call of Cathulu, and started Vampire/Warewolf!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:15 PM   #36
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2bAbronco
lol thats ok, i use to play Role Master, Shadow Run, Call of Cathulu, and started Vampire/Warewolf!
These days, I just do Hackmaster and Mutants & Masterminds .
Old 07-28-2004, 07:26 AM   #37
want2bAbronco
Seasoned Veteran

havent heard of either...and i havent played RPGs in many years.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:28 PM   #38
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

the long dark teatime for the soul.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:08 PM   #39
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Just finished C. J. Cherryh's "Hammerfal" and "Forge of Heaven." Very good SciFi!

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:38 PM   #40
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybottoms
just finished-

Catch-22, joseph keller? A+(this thing had me rolling)
i just read this too. Great book. The humor is certainly not dated, and I found my self laughing out loud at points. It is also very moving in parts. It gets labled as an "anti-war book", but it is much more than that. It has also got a lot of memorable quotes.

I'm trying to read some of the classics that I've heard of. read Brave new World recently, too. Good book that makes a good comparison to 1984.

Last edited by Kid A; 09-22-2004 at 05:44 PM..
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:46 PM   #41
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I've never been that in to sci-fi books. I haven't read many, except the notable exception of Ender's Game. I really liked it, and I've heard rumors of a movie being in the works.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:25 PM   #42
Tredici
Ring of Famer

These threads pop up every now and then. I've read some good books at the recommendation of forum readers.

Pillars of The Earth by Ken Follett - Thanks Slap.
Apocalypse Watch - Robert Ludlum - Thanks Alec.
Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier - Thanks Kekomutt (at the Freak)

I'm not a big Sci-Fi reader. The only memorable read in that genre was L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth. They tried to make a series but I didn't like the continuations.

As far as must reads:

Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
The World According to Garp - John Irving
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
out of all the Stephen Kings I still like The Shining. (His last two books have been embarassingly bad.)

For something a bit offbeat and highly entertaining try Harlen Coben. Any of his titles that sound sports related. His main character is a Sports Agent - of sorts.

For those of you who enjoy satirical humor and cutting through the political correctness nonsense, try David Sedaris. Naked was great and I have his Me Talk Pretty Some Day waiting in the wings.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:13 PM   #43
cbs1177
Ring of Famer

wizards first rule series is fanastic and I am not a fantasy fan
the di vince code and I didn't agree with what the book offered as religion
and the millionaries by bill meritz it was read in 24 hours no lie can't put down
cbs1177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:00 PM   #44
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

"Battlefield Earth?" Maybe I'll have to give L. Ron Hubbard another try. I read that freaking "Invader's Plan" crap (all ten volumes) all the way through. I can't even remember why I finished it now. Talk about bad!

Currently I've got quite a stack ahead of me:
Reading "Rider at the Gate" - C. J. Cherryh
Next up, "Cloud's Rider" - C. J. Cherryh
Then, "Finity's End" - C. J. Cherryh

After those (in no particular order):
"The Postman" - David Brin (signed first edition! Boo-yah)
"The White Abacus" - Damien Broderick
"Diplomatic Immunity" - Lois McMaster Bujold
"Achilles' Choice" - Larry Niven and Steven Barnes
"Destiny's Road" - Larry Niven

I'm a serious Sci-Fi/Fantasy junkie, but I'll read most anything outside of romances.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:03 PM   #45
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

the disappearance of the universe - gary r. renard
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 05:38 AM   #46
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Still working my way through the Clinton autobiography...on about page 570 or so.

Damn, this is a long book. I knew Clinton was smart, but the dude seems to have something approaching total recall of every last detail of his life (and those of his friends and acquaintances.)
Old 09-23-2004, 05:47 AM   #47
Nick C.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Still working my way through the Clinton autobiography...on about page 570 or so.

Damn, this is a long book. I knew Clinton was smart, but the dude seems to have something approaching total recall of every last detail of his life (and those of his friends and acquaintances.)
odd for a Stoner to rember so well. lol
Nick C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:34 AM   #48
patteeu
KC Chiefs Missionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN

It's called dramatic license. Half of the stuff in that book is pure fiction.
patteeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 01:01 AM   #49
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

It's been a while since I last read Catch-22, but I loved it too. :-)

Recent reads to recommend:

"One Sick Puppy" by Carl Hiaasen. Placed in Florida, a cast of totally screwball characters take on sleazy land developers. The plot bounces around like a pinball, and it'll have you laughing out loud. At least, I did.

"Tex and Molly in the Afterlife" by Richard Grant. Can two aging hippies keep fighting the good fight for ecological causes when they're dead? Tex & Molly's "20 Rules for the Undead" just might replace the Ten Commandments.

"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. Gaiman has an incredible vision, creating characters as deftly as Dean Koontz and spinning world-spanning plots as well as Clive Barker (tho this book is not a horror story). The new gods vs the old gods for supremacy in America.... and where else will you find a zombie working the graveyard shift at a gas station?

"Smoke & Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman. A collection of enchanting, bewitching, sometimes horrifying short stories. This guy is just flat GOOD.

"Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman. Yes, I am recommending a third book from the same guy: he really is that good. I understand this was turned into a mini-series by some TV channel. I didn't see it, so can't say... but the book is wonderfully visual and intricate. You might see the plot's final twist coming, but that's the only drawback and it's a great ride along the way.

Regards,
m.
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:57 AM   #50
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patteeu
It's called dramatic license. Half of the stuff in that book is pure fiction.
Really?

Half?

I'd like to hear the specifics and how you know this.