The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2006, 08:09 AM   #301
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff
You're an enigma .... wrapped in a riddle .... surrounded by the many arms of Vishnu!

I was told by a woman this weekend that i need to stop being so cerebral. First time a woman has ever told me to stop thinking with my head.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #302
Victor
The Dude Abides

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

I just finished Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte and I really enjoyed it.

This book served as the foundation for the Polanski / Depp movie The Ninth Gate.

The book reminded me of Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum, if any of you enjoyed that one.
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #303
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Ok guys, there may be a new place for you to get your fix in the next six months or so. I just started the process to get a small business government grant and with a little luck, I'll be opening a used book store Broomfield. Discounts/perks to OrangeMane members, of course.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #304
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan
Ok guys, there may be a new place for you to get your fix in the next six months or so. I just started the process to get a small business government grant and with a little luck, I'll be opening a used book store Broomfield. Discounts/perks to OrangeMane members, of course.

Ben
Congratulations Ben! And absolutely good for you!
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:52 PM   #305
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

Ben
That would be one of my dream professions. I hope it works out for you!
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #306
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual
That would be one of my dream professions. I hope it works out for you!
So, you need a job?

Seriously though, it's something I've been looking into for over a year and a half now. Recent events at work have inspired me to get serious about it.

MT, I finally for around to "Angels and Demons." Tough call between that one and "The Da Vinci Code," though I have to give the nod to Da Vinci, barely. It's probably just because of the order I read them, they were both great reads. I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to get "The Solomon Key." It's another Robert Langdon novel.

Ben
Old 07-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #307
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

When does that come out No1?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #308
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21
When does that come out No1?
All I've been able to find out so far is 2006.

Ben
Old 07-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #309
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Cool, i gotta get that.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #310
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
So, you need a job?

Seriously though, it's something I've been looking into for over a year and a half now. Recent events at work have inspired me to get serious about it.

MT, I finally for around to "Angels and Demons." Tough call between that one and "The Da Vinci Code," though I have to give the nod to Da Vinci, barely. It's probably just because of the order I read them, they were both great reads. I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to get "The Solomon Key." It's another Robert Langdon novel.

Ben

Glad you enjoyed them, Ben. I read 'Angels and Demons' first, so maybe that's why I gave it the nod. I hadn't heard about a new one! Put me on the list that's excited to read it.

Congrats on your book store! Best of luck.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #311
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Can somebody tell me what Siddhartha and Steppenwolf are all about?

I was looking through a suggested reading list and they were on it and I know several people here have read it before.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #312
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:

Ben
Wow that's cool.

Congratulations Ben.

Unfortunately I live in OKC but if I make it up to Denver I'll have to come by your store.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #313
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
I was told by a woman this weekend that i need to stop being so cerebral. First time a woman has ever told me to stop thinking with my head.
Which head was she talking about?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:02 PM   #314
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal
Which head was she talking about?

As a man, does it matter which one? They are one in the same from where i stand.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 AM   #315
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:

I was looking through a suggested reading list and they were on it and I know several people here have read it before.
I read these years ago, and I'm afraid neither one of them left much of an impression on me. They both deal generally with a search for enlightenment. Steppenwolf involves a bunch of weird dream fantasies. I remember even less about Siddhartha. I think some people have seen the books as very heavy on the Jungian "hero's journey" sort of thing.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:28 AM   #316
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
anything by Robert Antione Wilson.
I loved the Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #317
Victor
The Dude Abides

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Quote:

Haven't read Steppenwolf. Siddhartha is a (in my opinion) ficitonal cousin of the tale of Buddha's real enlightenment. Very readable and enjoyable. It relays the substance of Buddhism without much of the dogma. I give it a big thumbs up.

If you want to try some other Hesse, try to hunt up "Journey to the East". May be hard to find as it is out of print. But it is an interesting tale about servant leadership with a dollup of mysticism thrown in.
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #318
Alkazar
NPN Mascott

Bronco's Thunder

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steph Alexander

Quote:

Ben
Soon as you get an address, I'll probably swing by and check out your stock.
Alkazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #319
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkazar
Soon as you get an address, I'll probably swing by and check out your stock.
Looking forward to it!

Ben
Old 07-22-2006, 09:36 PM   #320
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Ok, I hit a couple winners at the library. "The Onion Girl" by Charles de Lint and "Metaplanetary" by Tony Daniel. "The Onion Girl," while still fantasy, is outside my usual fare. I don't usually like the 'fantasy crosses over to reality' type of fantasy novels, but this one was great. "Metaplanetary" is a distant future sci-fi interplanetary civil war type. Another very good read

I also hit a real loser. "Otherland" by Tad Williams. Great premise, but after more than 250 pages, the story simply didn't seem to be going anywhere. The guy has good characterization and setting, but the story simply never engaged.

Currently reading "Digital Fortress." It's the last Dan Brown book until "The Soloman Key" comes out.

I've got a couple Larry Niven books in the queue.

Ben
Old 07-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #321
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Ok, I hit a couple winners at the library. "The Onion Girl" by Charles de Lint and "Metaplanetary" by Tony Daniel. "The Onion Girl," while still fantasy, is outside my usual fare. I don't usually like the 'fantasy crosses over to reality' type of fantasy novels, but this one was great. "Metaplanetary" is a distant future sci-fi interplanetary civil war type. Another very good read

I also hit a real loser. "Otherland" by Tad Williams. Great premise, but after more than 250 pages, the story simply didn't seem to be going anywhere. The guy has good characterization and setting, but the story simply never engaged.

Currently reading "Digital Fortress." It's the last Dan Brown book until "The Soloman Key" comes out.

I've got a couple Larry Niven books in the queue.

Ben
Right on, I saw The Onion Girl at Barnes & Noble last weekend and it piqued my interest, I'll definitely check it out now. Thanks!
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:57 PM   #322
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Just finished Valley of Bones by Michael Grubner. He always has some interesting twist on the religious aspects of his stories. One premise got a little far fetched but other than that I enjoyed it.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #323
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I've waited for a year for the new Preston and Child book and I just finished it. ( Book of the Dead )

It was great like the rest, left me hanging AGAIN! Grrr.

Any Koontz fans here? I know there were some. The third book in the Frankenstein series was slated to come out this summer and I cannot find any info on it at all. I'm waiting on pins and needles for this one!

If anyone knows, let me in on it, would ya?!
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #324
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn
I've waited for a year for the new Preston and Child book and I just finished it. ( Book of the Dead )

Any Koontz fans here? I know there were some. The third book in the Frankenstein series was slated to come out this summer and I cannot find any info on it at all. I'm waiting on pins and needles for this one!

I keep watching for it. I'm such a freak I have one and two on the shelf. Won't read them until three is out. I can't stand waiting in between.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #325
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn

I guess you could call me a Koontz fan. I got kinda burned out until a friend loaned me "Fear Nothing" and "Sieze the Night." I've been meaning to check out the Frnkenstein books, but there are so many books and so little time.

Ben