The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2006, 10:52 PM   #251
Tredici
Ring of Famer

To those of you living in, or if you have lived in Denver try a John Dunning. His latest out in paperback is The Sign of the Book.

He used to own the The Old Algonquin Bookstore on Colfax. Most of his novels have lots of tidbits in them regarding what makes some books of more value than others. What's collectible. Psuedonyms. Interesting stuff for those who love books.

Plus it's local. All the places are familiar to Denverites.

Fun stuff and entertaining reads.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #252
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Tredici,

I just picked up "Denver" at the library and it's next up on the read list. It's outside my usual genre (sci-fi/fantasy) but it sounds like a good read.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:17 PM   #253
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan
Tredici,

I just picked up "Denver" at the library and it's next up on the read list. It's outside my usual genre (sci-fi/fantasy) but it sounds like a good read.

Ben
Hope you enjoy it. More an old fashioned "who dun it", but you will get a kick out of recognizing all the locales.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #254
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Well Tredici, I just rescued the "ABCs of Movies" thread after Alkazar forgot his ABC's, and now I'm going to start on "State of Fear." The way it dropped like a stone off the Times bestseller list 18 months ago, I'm not expecting much ... but I've read every other Crichton, so why stop now?

Besides, it's like movies ... if you're expecting too much, you'll be disappointed.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #255
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff1
Well Tredici, I just rescued the "ABCs of Movies" thread after Alkazar forgot his ABC's, and now I'm going to start on "State of Fear." The way it dropped like a stone off the Times bestseller list 18 months ago, I'm not expecting much ... but I've read every other Crichton, so why stop now?

Besides, it's like movies ... if you're expecting too much, you'll be disappointed.
Oh it puts forth some good arguements and thought material like most Crieghton books do. But you will see that it is already pretty Hollywooded up. Like he presumed the book and screenplay were one and the same... but it will keep your attention. Just presenting all the conflicting scientific data on global warming makes it an interesting read.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #256
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Ok Tredici, I'm more than half-way through "Denver" and so far it is a very good read (better than I thought it would be in fact). I don't know as it should be classed as a "who dun it" thought since there have been no unsolved murders.

Have you read "Just Revenge" by Alan M. Dershowitz? I think you'll like it.

Ben
Old 06-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #257
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Ok...who was reading "The Devil Wears Prada" ? Mt?

That girl was stupid for putting up with her boss for a year!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:42 PM   #258
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
Hope you enjoy it. More an old fashioned "who dun it", but you will get a kick out of recognizing all the locales.
I just finished "Denver." Damn! That book was brutal. A great read, but brutal. Thanks for the tip, Tredici. I'll definately be looking for more of his work.

Ben
Old 06-11-2006, 04:10 PM   #259
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I am a shameless Stephen King fan. I honestly think he writes better than any other modern, popular writer I have read. People have a tendency to get hung up on the genre, and the lameness of almost every movie that has been made out of his books. But he has written some of the best books I have ever read. Of his books, the ones that stand out are:

The Stand
The entire Gunslinger series
The Eyes of the Dragon (Just finished, and really liked it)
The Shining

I also like Michael Crichton. I do think he makes his books a little too "Hollywood-ish." But he researches his subject matter well, and his books are great reads, usually - the kind that keep the pages turning.

Patricia Cornwell is the same way. Page turners.

John Case is good, although he hasn't written as much.

I've liked everything I have ever read by Ken Follett.

I think I have read every book those five has written.

On the other side of the spectrum, I just finished reading Digital Fortress, by Dan Brown (author of the Davinci Code). It was okay, until the last hundred pages. Then it became almost embarrassingly ridiculous.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #260
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy

Nope. I think it was STG or HM? Was it good? Have any of you gals read any of the Evanovich books yet? Get with it! I'm dying to hear if someone gets as big a kick out of them as I do.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #261
heydensmom
I'm Jack Bauer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy

It's me....and i'm half way through it....shhhh don't ruin it for me before the movie comes out.......it's good thus far
heydensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #262
heydensmom
I'm Jack Bauer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn
Nope. I think it was STG or HM? Was it good? Have any of you gals read any of the Evanovich books yet? Get with it! I'm dying to hear if someone gets as big a kick out of them as I do.
after devil wear prada, then finish undomesticated godess (which I am) I'll get to those. I promise!
heydensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:31 AM   #263
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I just finished promethius rising.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:39 AM   #264
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual
I am a shameless Stephen King fan. I honestly think he writes better than any other modern, popular writer I have read. People have a tendency to get hung up on the genre, and the lameness of almost every movie that has been made out of his books. But he has written some of the best books I have ever read. Of his books, the ones that stand out are:

The Stand
The Shining
As a former English major, I'm a bit of a literary snob, but I must admit I maintain a soft spot for Stephen King.

Have you read Cell? I'm a huge fan of zombie movies, so I was really looking forward to this one. It started out great, but I kind of got disappointed when it went into the whole telepathy bit. And the ending really pissed me off. You aren't William Faulkner, King; an irresolute ending is unacceptable for a popular writer.
BroncoInferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:50 AM   #265
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

my fav. horror/scifi/fantasy author is hp lovecraft
Old 06-12-2006, 07:57 AM   #266
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
my fav. horror/scifi/fantasy author is hp lovecraft
Ever read any Joe Lansdale? He is very unusal, but if you enjoy B-movies you should check him out. He wrote a great novel called Drive-In (A B-Movie with Blood and Popcorn).
BroncoInferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:08 AM   #267
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

no i will have to check him out.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:42 AM   #268
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno
As a former English major, I'm a bit of a literary snob, but I must admit I maintain a soft spot for Stephen King.

Have you read Cell? I'm a huge fan of zombie movies, so I was really looking forward to this one. It started out great, but I kind of got disappointed when it went into the whole telepathy bit. And the ending really pissed me off. You aren't William Faulkner, King; an irresolute ending is unacceptable for a popular writer.
Yeah, I read Cell. And I agree with everything you said.

Read Eyes of the Dragon. It surprised me. If I didn't know better, I would almost have thought it was written by someone else. He writes it in a completely different style, but I really liked it.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:58 PM   #269
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Yeah the book Cell kept me hooked, but then the flat ending sucked balls.

Im reading "the Broker" by Grisham, and so far so good, I have yet to read anything bad from him.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #270
nooner
Solid Starter

so you wanna be a rock star

by jake shlicter

http://www.semisonic.com/jake/default.asp

most entertaining book I have read in many years. really well written about the quick 15 minutes of fame in the music industry...very funny
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #271
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydensmom
It's me....and i'm half way through it....shhhh don't ruin it for me before the movie comes out.......it's good thus far
Ok. I won't. But do you believe her boss?
BTW...I liked the ending!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #272
mosca
grand pubah

honest optimism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bubby Brister

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual

The Stand
The Shining

I also like Michael Crichton. I do think he makes his books a little too "Hollywood-ish." But he researches his subject matter well, and his books are great reads, usually - the kind that keep the pages turning.

i'm a huge fan of the dark tower series. i need to re-read it sometime... truly an epic journey. one of the most creative works i've read, but at the same time, very anti-climactic.

crichton is great as well. i think i've read every book of his except for the andromeda strain... hard to enjoy tech-savvy fiction written back in the late 60s since our world has changed so much since then. 'state of fear' is a good read... admittedly hollywood-ish, but if you can enjoy that, sit back and enjoy the ride. whether or not you agree with the stance the book takes, as someone else noted, it does open your eyes to the actual debate on the global warming issue.
mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #273
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan
I just finished "Denver." Damn! That book was brutal. A great read, but brutal. Thanks for the tip, Tredici. I'll definately be looking for more of his work.

Ben
Took a few twists and turns to get back to square one didn't it? Dunning has three "bookman" novels and a couple of others without the Janeway character. But I just love the tidbits thrown in about books.

I got on this "local author" kick. Just finished A Cold Dish by Craig Johnson. His main character is a Sheriff in a small Wyoming town. Being the shameless homer I am, I get a kick everytime he mentions his Denver Bronco coffee mug. -- And his best fried Henry Standing Bear. Every year they watch The Game. Broncos vs. Chiefs.

"Dish" was his first published novel. Not a bad effort. I will probably read the next one he comes out with.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:43 PM   #274
No1BroncoFan
Old School

I just finished "The Da Vinci Code." Wow! I had no interest in it until all the controversy over the film came up. The Christian churches once again decided something was innappropriate for me and once again I was not disappointed to go against their judgement. Along that vein, has anyone read "Waiting for the Galactic Bus" by Parke Godwin?

Ben
Old 06-20-2006, 09:29 PM   #275
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Have you read 'Angels and Demon's yet, Ben? If not, you should. It's as good or better than the "Da Vinci Code".
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote